ADVERTISEMENT

QB Situation

We don't have the best rb room in the nation. And you saying we don't have a QB is why you are a whacko

And we're not going to get 1 of those guys, we're most likely going to get 2
The best running back "room" is arguable, but we are 1 or 2 for depth, which is what I mean by best "group". Do we have the best back? No. But name 1 program with better depth. We possibly have the best depth for sure.

No reason to think Buchner will be elite. We are lacking an elite quarterback. Whether he is elite or not has not been determined.

No reason to think we will or will not get more than 1.

The best running back room is arguable, but we are 1 or 2 for depth, which is what I mean by best "room". Do we have the best back? No. But name 1 program with better depth. We possibly have the best depth for sure.

No reason to think Buchner will be elite.

No reason to think we will get more than 1.
Ohio state for one. But there's more. Our backfield is talented but has almost zero production. No way are we one of the top 2 right now. Maybe by the end of the year if they prove something in the field

No reason to think he won't be elite

No reason to think we won't get 2. We are the favorite for Moore. And we'll get one of the 24 kids, most think we lead for both. It will be first one who wants to commit

Ohio state for one. But there's more. Our backfield is talented but has almost zero production. No way are we one of the top 2 right now. Maybe by the end of the year if they prove something in the field

No reason to think we won't get 2. We are the favorite for Moore. And we'll get one of the 24 kids, most think we lead for both. It will be first one who wants to commit
The point is that Buchner is not elite right now. So, making the assumption that he will or will not be is simply guess work. I don't think there is a team with much better RB depth per se. Yes, Ohio State has a better back. Not sure I'd say definitely better depth.

The same premise you have that the running backs are not elite should be the same premise that Buchner is not elite. You can't have it one way and not the other. There's a lot to be excited about regarding this ND team, but our lack of a proven quarterback should give recruits hope that early playing time is quite possible. Hopefully TB changes that.

Last edited:

According to a practice report, Angeli looked like the "most physically ready QB of the 4". More than all the other 3. That's either a good thing and Angeli is a god or it's a bad thing and means the other guys just aren't elite QB's.

NIL is the reason Riley left for USC. They are a major scum program. I remember the years they were better than us (Weis years). They were the shadiest, dirtiest, and most disrespectful program we played.. I remember even their band playing in ND stadium while the ND QB was trying to call plays. Officials had to silence the band. They will cheat in any way they can. It's been a pleasure seeing ND wipe the map with them for the past decade.
Since a ND fan introduces the question, I don’t ‘identify’ with any school anymore; I was a life long ND fan (more years than you guys have) but the ideals of ND and the new fans of ND do not any longer fit my Christian beliefs. I cannot in good conscience identify nor even support values nor the secular mores of the university nor the new generation of fans. Heck the Mods will likely nuke even this mention of God! . We are accountable to God, so I sided with God. The board has to reflect the politics and beliefs of the owners; do you know who that might be? That’s a question. But I look in to see where heads are at in these troublesome times (I do so on a dozen boards). You may think you come for sport and an escape from everyday realities, but there is no escape. Fear of God is the beginning if knowledge.. Read fast this will not last long.

The point is that Buchner is not elite right now. So, making the assumption that he will or will not be is simply guess work. I don't think there is a team with much better RB depth per se. Yes, Ohio State has a better back. Not sure I'd say definitely better depth.

The same premise you have that the running backs are not elite should be the same premise that Buchner is not elite. You can't have it one way and not the other. There's a lot to be excited about regarding this ND team, but our lack of a proven quarterback should give recruits hope that early playing time is quite possible. Hopefully TB changes that.
I never said he was elite. I said he had elite talent. I specifically said it's wait and see with him. But no reason think he can't be elite

According to a practice report, Angeli looked like the "most physically ready QB of the 4". More than all the other 3. That's either a good thing and Angeli is a god or it's a bad thing and means the other guys just aren't elite QB's.

I didn't watch that. That was practice 1 and they only got to see 30 minutes, no live stuff. Pointless

Reactions: mirer03
Since a ND fan introduces the question, I don’t ‘identify’ with any school anymore; I was a life long ND fan (more years than you guys have) but the ideals of ND and the new fans of ND do not any longer fit my Christian beliefs. I cannot in good conscience identify nor even support values nor the secular mores of the university nor the new generation of fans. Heck the Mods will likely nuke even this mention of God! . We are accountable to God, so I sided with God. The board has to reflect the politics and beliefs of the owners; do you know who that might be? That’s a question. But I look in to see where heads are at in these troublesome times (I do so on a dozen boards). You may think you come for sport and an escape from everyday realities, but there is no escape. Fear of God is the beginning if knowledge.. Read fast this will not last long.
What a wacko perse is.

"But I look in to see where heads are at in these troublesome times (I do so on a dozen boards). "

You frequent a dozen boards? That is troublesome.

I never said he was elite. I said he had elite talent. I specifically said it's wait and see with him. But no reason think he can't be elite
While I wish him the best, if he had elite talent in throwing the football it would have manifested itself by now.

While I wish him the best, if he had elite talent in throwing the football it would have manifested itself by now.
Nonsense and ridiculous. He was a true freshman last year and didn't have a senior year of hs football.

He also threw 60 percent last year as a true frosh.

Beyond dumb comment. Absolutely wrong

Reactions: BGI User 756
I didn't watch that. That was practice 1 and they only got to see 30 minutes, no live stuff. Pointless

Regardless. There is little evidence from spring. This is something. More than what people are talking about. It does sound like Angeli is far better than advertised, which isn’t a bad thing. If Angeli was a 5 star recruit, he is at least 4 inches taller than Pyne and at least 1 inch taller than Buchner, he’d be on everyone’s salivary gland.

You think you are better than everyone else. You aren't.

You think you are better than everyone else. You aren't.

I agree with both of you politically, but D1 is about as “crazy nut conspiracy” guy as it gets. I’m not one of those. Now he’s apparently a USC fan because we allowed Biden to speak on campus. Guess what, the problem is the limiting of free speech. You can’t have your opinion and cancel those that you don’t like. Notre Dame is an elite academic institution because it allows diversity of opinion. If you don’t like that, then root for the Catholic University of America. I hear they don’t matter in football or globally. If you want to root for USC go for it. Join the millions of Will Farrell’s. I for one appreciate that ND is an open dialogue Catholic institution that is open to allowing Mormons like Manti to flourish just as much as they are open to accepting atheists. The goal of Catholicism is to open the door, not close it. Free will is Gods wish.

Last edited:
Regardless. There is little evidence from spring. This is something. More than what people are talking about. It does sound like Angeli is far better than advertised, which isn’t a bad thing. If Angeli was a 5 star recruit, he is at least 4 inches taller than Pyne and at least 1 inch taller than Buchner, he’d be on everyone’s salivary gland.
Powlus is the tallest QB and has the strongest arm on the roster. He has zero chance of playing here. Buchner is the best qb on the roster. That point you made is irrelevant

What was seen by others was that Buchner was #1 and was improved. Not sure how that equates to “little evidence from spring”

Nonsense and ridiculous. He was a true freshman last year and didn't have a senior year of hs football.

Watch the Virginia Tech game and tell us where you see “elite talent”

”elite talent” leaps out and screams “elite talent”

Virginia Tech produced a “whisper”

As a frosh, who missed his SR year in HS due to Covid, and got injured 2x last year? Nah …he gets a pass to see what he does this year
I don’t have an issue with that, I do have an issue with him being deemed “elite talent”

I don’t know for sure, but I think you meant you’re. Learn to spell. What’s wrong with optimism, Mr. Dante is going to commit in April? Do you remember how “dumb” people were for disagreeing with you? The odds of me being right that we land one of those 3 is a lot less “whacko” than your claim that Dante would commit to ND in April.
The popular opinion is it appears Dante has decided to use recruitment to build his social media following and possible angle for more nil money. Originally this was not anticipated and the hope was he would pop in April to help the team recruit. At this point, both he and Tate are borderline overplaying their hands and fan bases are starting to turn on them. The talent is there, but questions will remain until they commit.

Watching a game where a QB had 15-16 scripted plays that were regularly practiced, and was then asked to use the entire playbook as a judge of talent is folly. It's an indictment on poor coaching, strategy, and leadership.

When you look at his first three series you absolutely see elite talent. That is what he was prepped for. The decision to over play him was on the coaches.

The popular opinion is it appears Dante has decided to use recruitment to build his social media following and possible angle for more nil money. Originally this was not anticipated and the hope was he would pop in April to help the team recruit. At this point, both he and Tate are borderline overplaying their hands and fan bases are starting to turn on them. The talent is there, but questions will remain until they commit.
I would LOVE to see one of the 2024 kids (Sayin or Carr) reclassify into the 2023 class and commit to ND. Then we can all just move on from the Dante saga. Or, Buchner has a monster year and Angeli emerges as a massively underrated prospect, which is also possible given his spring. I still view 2024 as the most important year for QB recruiting. Sayin or Carr can learn for 1 year while Buchner finishes his last year and then battle Angeli for the job the next season.

Reactions: mirer03
I would LOVE to see one of the 2024 kids (Sayin or Carr) reclassify into the 2023 class and commit to ND. Then we can all just move on from the Dante saga. Or, Buchner has a monster year and Angeli emerges as a massively underrated prospect, which is also possible given his spring. I still view 2024 as the most important year for QB recruiting. Sayin or Carr can learn for 1 year while Buchner finishes his last year and then battle Angeli for the job the next season.
I don't care if they reclassify. It's going to be less and less important to have a year waiting under your belt as an elite recruit. Just lock one in and move forward

Reactions: IrishBeer
In reality, we all like to make a huge deal out of recruiting this one position, and it makes sense why. A top QB can change a program completely. However, it is important to keep perspective. If Tyler Buchner is the captain of a team that has a top 5 talent, we are going to do some major damage. There is no evidence that Dante Moore is a far superior QB to Buchner. In fact, Buchner would blow him off the map if you were comparing them as dual threats.

I don't care if they reclassify. It's going to be less and less important to have a year waiting under your belt as an elite recruit. Just lock one in and move forward
I agree. I have watched a lot of film on both Sayin and Carr. They are easily just as impressive as Moore. I really like Sayin, it's no secret. But Carr is a stud too.

Sayin stated that he isn't messing around with recruitment. He stated he is committing to a program by September/October. I think he'd be okay with it if Dante isn't coming to ND.

I can show you hall of fame qbs who stunk as freshman and hall of fame qbs who didn't even see the field as freshman or sophomore.

He has elite athleticism for the position to go along with the ability to throw from different angles and on the run

Reactions: tbone3114
I can show you hall of fame qbs who stunk as freshman and hall of fame qbs who didn't even see the field as freshman or sophomore.

He has elite athleticism for the position to go along with the ability to throw from different angles and on the run
ALL IRRELEVANT, THEY LATER PROVED THEMSELVES, TB HASN‘T

You said that TG has “elite talent”

He’s a QB

WHERE HAS TB EXHIBITED HIS ELITE PASSING TALENT.

THE VIRGINIA TECH GAME DIDN‘T EVIDENCE IT. !

He’s a QB

And he'll show his elite talent this year and moving forward just like the other QB's. And he played well in the first half. He just wasn't prepared in the 2nd half to run the whole offense. That won't be an issue this season

He’s a QB

8:11 left in second quarter
:32 seconds left second quarter

You expect a kid that practices 15 plays with 8 being rpos to flash as a drop back passer in an unexpected extended playing session.

The issue is your evaluation, not the talent of the player. Knowing the kid has very few reps dropping back in practice, the above plays both show good presence, good feet, going through progressions, timing, and delivery.

Move along now.

The Dante Moore ship has sailed IMO. I really hope one of the 2024 kids has interest in reclassifying. Rees is going to have to offer the entire country at QB in 2024. Going an entire class without a QB a year after landing the #42 is setting ND and Marcus Freeman up for a cataclysmic disaster at QB. The portal might just be the new norm for ND as long as Freeman is willing to put up with Rees. I do not think there are always going to be Jack Coan's interested or available unfortunately.

Last edited:

There is a gametime experience gap throughout the quarterback ranks on this team. We can debate degrees of talent and potential all day long....I haven't tallied up the actual (ND) game minutes played by these quarterbacks...but it ain't much. It concerns me that a program at this level hasn't taken the opportunities to play these quarterbacks more often even last year. I realize many of those games were close enough to justify sticking with the starter for 4 quarters..but I wondered why in those not so close games the coaches weren't getting these guys more snaps.

The Dante Moore ship has sailed IMO. I really hope one of the 2024 kids has interest in reclassifying. Rees is going to have to offer the entire country at QB in 2024. Going an entire class without a QB a year after landing the #42 is setting ND and Marcus Freeman up for a cataclysmic disaster at QB. The portal might just be the new norm for ND as long as Freeman is willing to put up with Rees. I do not think there are always going to be Jack Coan's interested or available unfortunately.
No it hasn't sailed. We're still the favorite. Chill out Nancy

Just because they aren't in on anyone now doesn't mean they won't take a QB this year.

No it hasn't sailed. We're still the favorite. Chill out Nancy
Yeah it's so weird how people are buying into his social media and think that matters.
HES building his brand and followers to make him more attractive for NIL. He's just toying with people. Until Rees openly offers someone else, the thought process needs to be MOORE IS IRISH.

There is a gametime experience gap throughout the quarterback ranks on this team. We can debate degrees of talent and potential all day long....I haven't tallied up the actual (ND) game minutes played by these quarterbacks...but it ain't much. It concerns me that a program at this level hasn't taken the opportunities to play these quarterbacks more often even last year. I realize many of those games were close enough to justify sticking with the starter for 4 quarters..but I wondered why in those not so close games the coaches weren't getting these guys more snaps.
The former HC was only concerned about landing a new coaching position for himself next year. He was not worried about the experience level of the remaining ND QB room.

There is no way to prepare anyone for being the starting QB for ND. Especially when it his first game will be Ohio St. This could be a knock on TR because he should have realized that. TB would have won plenty of games last year with Coan as backup to be used when the moment overwhelmed TB. But Kelly wanted another job. So, here we are.

Go to 2:35 in this video...

This is what I do not know Tyler Buchner can do. This is an example of a "big arm". I have never seen Coan, Pyne, or Buchner throw anything deep like this. Elite arm strength matters.

Go to 2:35 in this video...

This is what I do not know Tyler Buchner can do. This is an example of a "big arm". I have never seen Coan, Pyne, or Buchner throw anything deep like this. Elite arm strength matters.

First off...ian book had a mediocre at best arm. He could push the ball down field with a clean pocket, a full wind up and push (what he did in the video)...almost any college QB can do that. That is as much a function of technique stepping through the delivery vs arm strength or velocity.

Buchner REGULARLY threw balls like that in high school...however he changed his motion and it is not clear what his deep ball strength is...it is ABUNDANTLY clear through practice reports that he has a very strong arm in the short and intermediate game... The velocity and spiral of his balls are very strong.

I have ZERO concern about Buchner being able to do what book did in that clip. The question that is out there is what's his deep ball range with a normal delivery and I don't think that is know right now

Reactions: BGI User 756

He was hurt at Va Tech and did have some great plays and some horrible ones

The former HC was only concerned about landing a new coaching position for himself next year. He was not worried about the experience level of the remaining ND QB room.

There is no way to prepare anyone for being the starting QB for ND. Especially when it his first game will be Ohio St. This could be a knock on TR because he should have realized that. TB would have won plenty of games last year with Coan as backup to be used when the moment overwhelmed TB. But Kelly wanted another job. So, here we are.
Kelly wanted more money. Swarbrick said we talk at end of your contract. That is how it started

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT