ADVERTISEMENT

QB Situation

mmboys07

All Star
Oct 3, 2004
It is never a good idea to proffer absolutes, but I am absolutely convinced T. Buchner is not the answer for ND at QB. In fact, I don't see him as any kind of QB. His skill set is best suited for flanker. Hope I am wrong, if he is going to be a QB, I hope I am wrong. But, I am betting I am not wrong. Time will tell.

It is never a good idea to proffer absolutes, but I am absolutely convinced T. Buchner is not the answer for ND at QB. In fact, I don't see him as any kind of QB. His skill set is best suited for flanker. Hope I am wrong, if he is going to be a QB, I hope I am wrong. But, I am betting I am not wrong. Time will tell.
Flanker??? Really???

He is definitely unproven but to call him a “flanker” is totally wrong.

I rewatched the Virginia Tech game the other night and it caused me great concern

Lol. His reports throwing in practice are going to shut a lot of people up this fall if true.

• Ranked No. 1 in the country for total yards in 2019, and No. 3 all-time for a single season
  • Finished 276-of-402 for 4,474 yards, 53 TD’s and 5 INT’s
  • Rushed for 1,610 yards on 128 carries and 28 TD’s in 2019
Lets give him a chance to see what he can do full time.....Most kids dont get 6k yards in 4 years.

Lol. His reports throwing in practice are going to shut a lot of people up this fall if true.
While we aren't there at practice...I can't remember a time when honesty and pre season coach speak were candid on pretty much all things.

Particularly QB's where pretty much the season for the 100 other teammates lies within their arm, eyes, accuracy but most importantly their psyche.
Show me a coach that says yeah...he's terribly inaccurate and we're doomed come September.

Not a good way to pump up the morale of the collective group in particular the precious psyche of said QB.

He very well may be throwing lasers @ practice and he might also be all over the place. In any event I'm not hanging my hat on the smoke and mirrors pre-season coach speak. Especially this coaching staff being very green in a lot of areas (including OC) and with good energy they're promoting that hasn't been around the team since possibly CW first got here.

We shall see

Reactions: Telx1
At this point my biggest concern with Buchner is durability. He might be a tremendous talent but it's completely meaningless on the sideline.

Some players in all sports just have a problem always getting injured. I hope he never misses another game but at this point I'm not betting on that. I don't know how anyone could.

Reactions: Harpo Marxist
Dante has taken all the big trips he had planned. Oregon is done. LSU is done. Miami is done. He’s been to Ohio State twice.

So…

Reactions: Notre Dame du Lac
While we aren't there at practice...I can't remember a time when honesty and pre season coach speak were candid on pretty much all things.

Particularly QB's where pretty much the season for the 100 other teammates lies within their arm, eyes, accuracy but most importantly their psyche.
Show me a coach that says yeah...he's terribly inaccurate and we're doomed come September.

Not a good way to pump up the morale of the collective group in particular the precious psyche of said QB.

He very well may be throwing lasers @ practice and he might also be all over the place. In any event I'm not hanging my hat on the smoke and mirrors pre-season coach speak. Especially this coaching staff being very green in a lot of areas (including OC) and with good energy they're promoting that hasn't been around the team since possibly CW first got here.

We shall see
It's not from the coaches

At this point my biggest concern with Buchner is durability. He might be a tremendous talent but it's completely meaningless on the sideline.

Some players in all sports just have a problem always getting injured. I hope he never misses another game but at this point I'm not betting on that. I don't know how anyone could.
That’s true and running QB’s are more susceptible than pocket QB’s

He's only taken 2 official visits. He still has 3 officials if he wants to use them

Sayin is deciding in September. I hope Rees’s all in approach on Dante doesn’t have him neglecting the 2024 kids.

If he misses on Moore, I wonder what the chances will be for CJ or Julian to re-classify into the 2023 class. There is a mega need for a quarterback with legit talent on this elite football team.

If Julian S. says he is deciding in September I am not letting that one get away if I’m TR. Sayin is no Chris Vizzina. You don’t let him slip away because you love Dante.

Last edited:
I rewatched the Virginia Tech game the other night and it caused me great concern
I rewatched those highlights, too. Buchner played well in the 1st half, leading us to 2 TDs. He had some nice passes, like the long pass down the sideline to Austin. But then in the 2nd half, Virginia Tech must've mixed up their coverages to confuse him. Because he looked confused and threw a bunch of bad passes, including 2 picks that could've been 3.

But it seems to me, it wasn't a talent issue - it was an experience issue. He needs to get more experience passing, so he can read defenses, etc.

I rewatched those highlights, too. Buchner played well in the 1st half, leading us to 2 TDs. He had some nice passes, like the long pass down the sideline to Austin. But then in the 2nd half, Virginia Tech must've mixed up their coverages to confuse him. Because he looked confused and threw a bunch of bad passes, including 2 picks that could've been 3.

But it seems to me, it wasn't a talent issue - it was an experience issue. He needs to get more experience passing, so he can read defenses, etc.

He has had some accuracy issues, but his upside is there. If he wasn’t developed from last year to this year it will show itself very soon. If he doesn’t look any better it is not his fault, it is all on Tommy Rees

This is a proving year for Tommy Rees in many many ways. Can he develop? Can he recruit? You can’t blame Brian Kelly anymore.

What TB looks like in September will say a lot. It is puzzling that Drew has regressed.

He has had some accuracy issues, but his upside is there. If he wasn’t developed from last year to this year it will show itself very soon. If he doesn’t look any better it is not his fault, it is all on Tommy Rees

This is a proving year for Tommy Rees in many many ways. Can he develop? Can he recruit? You can’t blame Brian Kelly anymore.

What TB looks like in September will say a lot. It is puzzling that Drew has regressed.
As for Pyne, I wouldn't read too much into an intrasquad scrimmage in which he played all-time QB for a half. That's not easy to do; he never got any breaks, two different teams, etc. He showed last fall he could come in and play when needed.

Reactions: tbone3114
Sayin is deciding in September. I hope Rees’s all in approach on Dante doesn’t have him neglecting the 2024 kids.

If he misses on Moore, I wonder what the chances will be for CJ or Julian to re-classify into the 2023 class. There is a mega need for a quarterback with legit talent on this elite football team.

If Julian S. says he is deciding in September I am not letting that one get away if I’m TR. Sayin is no Chris Vizzina. You don’t let him slip away because you love Dante.
They have nothing to do with each other. 1 is a 23, the other is a 24

They have nothing to do with each other. 1 is a 23, the other is a 24

We shall see
It's not coach speak when it comes from the players....

Dante has taken all the big trips he had planned. Oregon is done. LSU is done. Miami is done. He’s been to Ohio State twice.

So…
He should pick ND, the team that has had recent and repeated success developing QB’s. Miami and Oregon look to be the threats; the other option seem set for 2 years, and kids don’t sit and learn anymore. If he chooses ND and TB shows as the real deal, he would probably de- anyways. So it might be a long recruitment even after any commitment anywhere.

He should pick ND, the team that has had recent and repeated success developing QB’s. Miami and Oregon look to be the threats; the other option seem set for 2 years, and kids don’t sit and learn anymore. If he chooses ND and TB shows as the real deal, he would probably de- anyways. So it might be a long recruitment even after any commitment anywhere.
He should pick ND for a variety of reasons. To be honest, as much as I hate Michigan, I see ND and Michigan as the best two options for him. ND offers the most opportunity to play and a step up in academics. Michigan is close to home and has solid academics. I think ND offers early playing time, academics, proximity, brand, and a rare opportunity to take the reins at a playoff program. What QB wouldn't want ND's OL, RB's, future WR's, and their SEC level defense bailing out all their mistakes all the while starring on NBC every Saturday, playing for a the most prestigious brand in all of college sports, while earning an elite degree? You'd have to be insane or completely undersold.

Last edited:
He should pick ND for a variety of reasons. To be honest, as much as I hate Michigan, I see ND and Michigan as the best two options for him. ND offers the most opportunity to play and a step up in academics. Michigan is close to home and has solid academics. I think ND offers early playing time, academics, proximity, brand, and a rare opportunity to take the reins at a playoff program. What QB wouldn't want ND's OL, RB's, future WR's, and their SEC level defense bailing out all their mistakes all the while starring on NBC every Saturday, playing for a the most prestigious brand in all of college sports, while earning an elite degree? You'd have to be insane or completely undersold.
Umm, I was being sarcastic- academics are no longer a factor for kids thinking a ‘pro’ career. Based upon 20+ years why in the world, from purely a football perspective, would a top QB prospect entertain ND as a place for development towards the NFL? Additionally, you have a defensive minded HC and an OC with a very incomplete resume. These might be the kind of thoughts that will play in the minds of recruits. Like it or not. And if fans here were parents of such a kid, to be honest, they would weigh these factors too.

Umm, I was being sarcastic- academics are no longer a factor for kids thinking a ‘pro’ career. Based upon 20+ years why in the world, from purely a football perspective, would a top QB prospect entertain ND as a place for development towards the NFL? Additionally, you have a defensive minded HC and an OC with a very incomplete resume. These might be the kind of thoughts that will play in the minds of recruits. Like it or not. And if fans here were parents of such a kid, to be honest, they would weigh these factors too.
ND is a playoff team with elite defensive recruiting, the best OL coach in the nation, likely a top 10 OL, the best group of running backs in the country and they are lacking a QB. What kid in their right mind would not want to be the captain of that ship? We WILL get 1 of the following players: Dante Moore, Julian Sayin, CJ Carr. I will bet my soul on it.

ND is a playoff team with elite defensive recruiting, the best OL coach in the nation, likely a top 10 OL, the best group of running backs in the country and they are lacking a QB. What kid in their right mind would not want to be the captain of that ship? We WILL get 1 of the following players: Dante Moore, Julian Sayin, CJ Carr. I will bet my soul on it.
being a BAC, I will decline that bet offer, as a rash statement, on your part.

PS: I actually stopped by to see if any reaction to Narduzzi’s comments accusing ND of tampering

Last edited:
Your a whacko

Your a whacko

I don’t know for sure, but I think you meant you’re. Learn to spell. What’s wrong with optimism, Mr. Dante is going to commit in April? Do you remember how “dumb” people were for disagreeing with you? The odds of me being right that we land one of those 3 is a lot less “whacko” than your claim that Dante would commit to ND in April.

Last edited:
The QB that is most likely to commit to ND is a borderline elite with a chance to play in the NFL, but not totally committed to the conviction football is his career. JMHO.

d1042 is a Southern Cal fan? Funny how quiet it's been out here in SOCAL and now they're all dusting off their Southern Cal stuff and getting the front runner machine all revved up!

• Haha
Reactions: NDinNJ
One thing is for sure: Actually multiple things. SOCAL is the most soulless place in America (Vegas might be actually a little better) . SC and their fans will cheat right in front of you and then gloat about how awesome they are. If they win everyone will be their biggest fan. When they lose everyone will Homer Simpson back into the bushes. Oh and Lincoln Riley was a scumbag before he left Oklahoma and it's awesome he's at SC because I can now hate them with every ounce of my being again. Helton was an okay coach but a class act. Riley is a great coach and a narcissistic douche.

One thing is for sure: Actually multiple things. SOCAL is the most soulless place in America (Vegas might be actually a little better) . SC and their fans will cheat right in front of you and then gloat about how awesome they are. If they win everyone will be their biggest fan. When they lose everyone will Homer Simpson back into the bushes. Oh and Lincoln Riley was a scumbag before he left Oklahoma and it's awesome he's at SC because I can now hate them with every ounce of my being again. Helton was an okay coach but a class act. Riley is a great coach and a narcissistic douche.
NIL is the reason Riley left for USC. They are a major scum program. I remember the years they were better than us (Weis years). They were the shadiest, dirtiest, and most disrespectful program we played.. I remember even their band playing in ND stadium while the ND QB was trying to call plays. Officials had to silence the band. They will cheat in any way they can. It's been a pleasure seeing ND wipe the map with them for the past decade.

I don’t know for sure, but I think you meant you’re. Learn to spell. What’s wrong with optimism, Mr. Dante is going to commit in April? Do you remember how “dumb” people were for disagreeing with you? The odds of me being right that we land one of those 3 is a lot less “whacko” than your claim that Dante would commit to ND in April.
We don't have the best rb room in the nation. And you saying we don't have a QB is why you are a whacko

And we're not going to get 1 of those guys, we're most likely going to get 2

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT