ADVERTISEMENT

Projecting The ND Recruiting Class (2.0)

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
A couple months ago I posted a thread projecting ND's recruiting class and at the time I said I would update that projection as the year went on, given that recruiting is such a fluid situation. I wanted to post my updated list prior to Irish Invasion, which looks like it's going to be a monster event this year for ND's recruiting class.

Note: I really love the job the ND assistants are doing right now out on the road and grinding and garnering interest. Mike Elston needs to be commended for the job he and his staff of analysts are doing of evaluating film and getting lots of offers out, as well as getting top 2017 and 2018 prospects to commit to Irish Invasion.

Also, my projections are based partly on the information that is out there but also on my gut feel.

Here is what I have as of now (rankings are from 247Sports Composite)

QB: Avery Davis (4 star)
RB: Robert Burns (4 star)
WR: Hezekiah Jones (4 star)
WR: Osiris St. Brown (4 star)
WR: Kolby Taylor (3 star)
TE: Brock Wright (4 star)
TE: Cole Kmet (4 star)
OT: Josh Lugg (4 star)
OT: Foster Sarrell (5 star)
OT/ OG: Jedrick Wills (4 star)
OG: Dillan Gibbons (4 star)
DE: Robert Beal (4 star)
DE: Hunter Echols (4 star)
DE: Corey Malone-Hatcher (4 star)
DT: Jerron Cage (4 star)
DT: Kurt Hinish (3 star)
NG: Dalyn Wade-Perry (3 star)
LB: David Adams (4 star)
LB: Pete Werner (4 star)
LB: Drew White (3 star)
LB: Jacob Phillips (3 star)
CB: Ambry Thomas (4 star)
CB: Saiid Adebo (4 star)
S: Isaiah Robertson (4 star)
S: Chaz Ah You (4 star)
S: Amari Carter (4 star)

Overall I have the 2017 class as a 26 man class, which may seem large to to some, but I think ND will intentionally over sign, predicting injuries, transfers and guys who may leave early for the NFL Draft.

Plugged into the 247 Sports Class Calculator, this class receives a score of 289.80 points which would have been the #4 overall class in 2016 (Alabama was #1 with 301.43). This would be a significant jump up from last year's class that finished ranked 15th at 249.47.

I think the big question to most is "how do you think ND can take 26 guys in this class?"... Here is who I have leaving...

14 Graduates
RB: Tarean Folston (graduation)
WR: Corey Robinson (graduation)
TE: Jacob Matuska (graduation)
TE: Durham Smythe (graduation)
OL: Hunter Bivin or Colin McGovern (graduation)
OL: Mark Harrell (graduation)
DE: Isaac Rochell (graduation)
NG: Jarron Jones (graduation)
NG: John Montellus (graduation)
LB: James Onwualu (graduation)
CB: Cole Luke (graduation)
S: Max Redfield (graduation)
S: Avery Sebastien (graduation)
LS: Scott Daly (graduation)

Transfers / Medicals / Loss of Scholarships / Leaving Early For The NFL

8-10
QB: Malik Zaire or DeShone Kizer (transfer)
QB:Montgomery VanGorder (loss of scholarship)
DE: Grant Blankenship (transfer)
1 Running Back from the group (transfer)
1 Wide Receiver from the group (transfer)
1 Defensive back from the group (transfer)
1-2 Juniors who leave for the NFL
1-2 Career-ending medicals

Therefore, I believe ND will have 23-25 available scholarships at come the end of the 2016 cycle and I believe Brian Kelly will not be afraid to oversign by by 1 or 2 with anticipation of additional injuries, transfers or academic eligibility between the end of spring and the summer.

Last edited:
A couple months ago I posted a thread projecting ND's recruiting class and at the time I said I would update that projection as the year went on, given that recruiting is such a fluid situation. I wanted to post my updated list prior to Irish Invasion, which looks like it's going to be a monster event this year for ND's recruiting class.

Note: I really love the job the ND assistants are doing right now out on the road and grinding and garnering interest. Mike Elston needs to be commended for the job he and his staff of analysts are doing of evaluating film and getting lots of offers out, as well as getting top 2017 and 2018 prospects to commit to Irish Invasion.

Also, my projections are based partly on the information that is out there but also on my gut feel.

Overall I have the 2017 class as a 26 man class, which may seem large to to some, but I think ND will intentionally over sign, predicting injuries, transfers and guys who may leave early for the NFL Draft.

Plugged into the 247 Sports Class Calculator, this class receives a score of 289.80 points which would have been the #4 overall class in 2016 (Alabama was #1 with 301.43). This would be a significant jump up from last year's class that finished ranked 15th at 249.47.

I think the big question to most is "how do you think ND can take 26 guys in this class?"... Here is who I have leaving...

14 Graduates

8-10

Therefore, I believe ND will have 23-25 available scholarships at come the end of the 2016 cycle and I believe Brian Kelly will not be afraid to oversign by by 1 or 2 with anticipation of additional injuries, transfers or academic eligibility between the end of spring and the summer.

"QB: Malik Zaire or DeShone Kizer (transfer)"

Interesting that you call these 2 out -- what about Wimbush? How does the recent verbal (and hopefully commit) of a QB impact him?

"QB: Malik Zaire or DeShone Kizer (transfer)"

Interesting that you call these 2 out -- what about Wimbush? How does the recent verbal (and hopefully commit) of a QB impact him?

I don't think this impacts Wimbush at all...perhaps it will affect Avery Davis and his 2017 commitment but Jurkovec will not arrive until 2018 at which time Kizer and Zaire will be gone and Wimbush could very well be the senior starter. Now other things may affect Wimbush but if he is worried about a guy coming in and starting as a true freshman in 2018 when he will be a senior then so be it!

Reactions: Kelso86
Here is how I view the quarterback situation...

- Loser of the Zaire vs Kizer QB situation is the backup this year and transfers for playing time elsewhere next year.

- Wimbush sits this year to regain the year of eligibility he lost as a freshman. He then backs up Kizer or Zaire next year (whoever is around) before taking over as the starter for 2 years.

- Book is a solid backup during his time in South Bend and possibly has the opportunity to play if an injury happens. He could potentially transfer down the road if he sees an opportunity to play else where and values that over an ND degree.

- Avery Davis is a very strategic recruit because of his versatility. He's good enough to win for you at quarterback, but at 5'11, with a 195lb frame and 4.5 speed, he has the fluidity as an athlete to play either slot receiver or defensive back. I could very easily see Avery being moved if there is a need at another position and there is a logjam at quarterback.

- Jurkovec should be the next starter (as a sophomore) after Wimbush graduates and moves on in 2019. Book or Davis will be his backup.

The only way I don't see it playing out that way is if Kizer has a monster year and jumps into the draft in a weak year where his major competition is Deshaun Watson and Brad Kaaya. That would likely stop Zaire from transferring because he would start next year in his final year if Kizer jumped.

I don't think this impacts Wimbush at all...perhaps it will affect Avery Davis and his 2017 commitment but Jurkovec will not arrive until 2018 at which time Kizer and Zaire will be gone and Wimbush could very well be the senior starter. Now other things may affect Wimbush but if he is worried about a guy coming in and starting as a true freshman in 2018 when he will be a senior then so be it!

I have seen on the other boards where Avery Davis may take up another position like "slot receiver" because he is such a great athlete. I don't know how bad he wants to be a qb, though.

*** Damn it ! I just reread IIO'S post and he already went over Avery Davis. Please disregard my post !

My oh my, how the sentiment on this board has changed and by 180 degrees!!!

Re: "Overall I have the 2017 class as a 26 man class, which may seem large to some, but I think ND will intentionally over sign."

Not so very long ago posters on this very board lambasted schools that intentionally over signed calling them cheaters and various and sundry other names. Well.........look who's over signing now and posters are reveling in it!

Yep, the times they are a changin and Notre Dame is making all kinds of changes in order to emulate and with hopes to equal or excel the big time elite programs. Gotta love it. :D

Re: "Overall I have the 2017 class as a 26 man class, which may seem large to some, but I think ND will intentionally over sign."

Not so very long ago posters on this very board lambasted schools that intentionally over signed calling them cheaters and various and sundry other names. Well.........look who's over signing now and posters are reveling in it!

Yep, the times they are a changin and Notre Dame is making all kinds of changes in order to emulate and with hopes to equal or excel the big time elite programs. Gotta love it. :D

Notre Dame is always under the 85 scholarship limit. IIO meant oversigning because he knows their is always attrition at ND.
At Notre Dame the players are expected to study --- unlike Free shoes university--Florida State.
You might want to think of that ,Duo, while you are presoaking the mustard stains, you got while eating a corn dog, on your "I love Jameis" T-shirt.

Last edited:
Notre Dame is always under the 85 scholarship limit. IIO meant oversigning because he knows their is always attrition at ND.
At Notre Dame the players are expected to study --- unlike Free shoes university--Florida State.
You might want to think of that ,Duo, while you are presoaking the mustard stains, you got while eating a corn dog, on your "I love Jameis" T-shirt.

I bet you practice your split after every post.

male-cheerleader.bmp

Read much? "but think ND will intentionally over sign" is one persons opinion about something that has not happened yet. Will = future tense. Yet you managed to work up a speech over it? Wow.

Reactions: Bodizephax

14 Graduates

8-10

Inoticed you left Beal out. No chance of getting him back?

Clueless! Post less and read more.

didn't Kelly over sign before. Well he actually knew he would be able to do it. There are so many kids of talent that are leaving by jr year and he has some guys on the 5 year plan that are complimentary players that he can say I am not offering you that 5th year . they have their degree already so I view it as a smart way to recruit. no one is ever told before they have a degree we are not giving your scholarship because you are not the athlete we anticipated.

14 Graduates

8-10

Thanks for posting this. So you don't think we'll end up with Trey Smith?

The fact that ND coaches are out beating the bushes and recruiting early is a complete revelation for some of the posters on this board that not so long ago said ND doesn't have to go out and recruit because the recruits come to ND!

BTW, those are the same posters that said ND would never recruit young kids the way some of the schools in the big conferences do. Now it's all the rage!

Those who have their panties in a wad are most likely the very souls that said these changes could never happen not so long ago. ;)

Just sayin..........change is constant and inevitable.

when you consider the historic attrition of the last 10 years or so then over signing is a smart and realistic tactic.

ND will always have a fair amount of attrition due to its academic standards and atmosphere that does not allow a lot of what goes on in the notorious football factories. Even though most of the time the staff does a real good job of weeding out those most likely to cut and run.

Thanks for posting this. So you don't think we'll end up with Trey Smith?

ND needs one of Smith, Sarrell or Andrew Thomas in this class. Trey Smith likes Notre Dame and he loves Harry Hiestand... Still, it might not be enough to pull him away from the SEC. Fingers crossed though! ND has a legit shot at Sarrell, however. I think it comes down to ND be Stanford, with distance as the major question mark.

Essentially Hiestand is actively recruiting 4 guys right now in Wills, Smith, Sarrell and Thomas. It's Imparative he lands at least 1 of them. 2 would be ideal and 3 would be a home run. Lugg is a natural tackle, Gibbons is a guard and Wills (who I think ND leads for) is a swing guy that can play both tackle and guard. Trey Smith is a swing guy as well, while Sarrell and Thomas are pure tackles.

Reactions: Classic Irish
didn't Kelly over sign before. Well he actually knew he would be able to do it. There are so many kids of talent that are leaving by jr year and he has some guys on the 5 year plan that are complimentary players that he can say I am not offering you that 5th year . they have their degree already so I view it as a smart way to recruit. no one is ever told before they have a degree we are not giving your scholarship because you are not the athlete we anticipated.
You can sign legally more than 25 kids in one year, as long as some of them are early enrollees, and there are spots left open from the previous class. Early enrolleess can count against either class. So, if we sign 28 kids, and 5 of them are early enrollees, and our previous year's class was 22 kids, three of the early enrollees will count against the previous class, effectively taking that class up to the 25 max and reducing this year's class to the 25 max. That's how the system works, and that's NOT oversigning.

ND needs one of Smith, Sarrell or Andrew Thomas in this class. Trey Smith likes Notre Dame and he loves Harry Hiestand... Still, it might not be enough to pull him away from the SEC. Fingers crossed though! ND has a legit shot at Sarrell, however. I think it comes down to ND be Stanford, with distance as the major question mark.

Essentially Hiestand is actively recruiting 4 guys right now in Wills, Smith, Sarrell and Thomas. It's Imparative he lands at least 1 of them. 2 would be ideal and 3 would be a home run. Lugg is a natural tackle, Gibbons is a guard and Wills (who I think ND leads for) is a swing guy that can play both tackle and guard. Trey Smith is a swing guy as well, while Sarrell and Thomas are pure tackles.

Ok, thanks for the reply.

You can sign legally more than 25 kids in one year, as long as some of them are early enrollees, and there are spots left open from the previous class. Early enrolleess can count against either class. So, if we sign 28 kids, and 5 of them are early enrollees, and our previous year's class was 22 kids, three of the early enrollees will count against the previous class, effectively taking that class up to the 25 max and reducing this year's class to the 25 max. That's how the system works, and that's NOT oversigning.
There is an overall max of 85 that supersedes the 25 per class rule.

What a stupid post. One poster suggest something that may of may not happen and every one else is labeled because of that. Stupid!

I think our staff will have a better feel for where they stand with several recruits after irish invasion on june 18th. our staff has a absolutely loade group of 4 and five star kids coming in for the invite only event including former verbal and top ten rated DE Robert beal, top 5 OT foster from Washington and coming with the whole family, 5 star LB browning from texas amongst many other elite kids. some writers from scout think that our irishget some verbals from irish invasion

Gotta love the QB depth going forward (all kinds of variables and future recruits we can't predict but this is the best stable of QBs we've had in like forever???) Kudos to Kelly and Stanford!

2016 - Kizer, Zaire, Book, (Wimbush RS)
2017 - Kizer, Wimbush, Book, (Davis RS) if Zaire goes...
2018 - Wimbush, Davis, Book, (Jurkovec RS)
2019 - Wimbush, Jurkovec, Davis, Book
2020 - Jurkovec, Davis
2021 - Jurkovec, Davis
2022 - Jurkovec

If we can get the d together I see two national championships. 2017 and 2021. Hey, I can dream, can't I?

our irish are high on the list with several elite kids so it will not be a big loss not getting ambry Thomas and corey Malone-hatcher unlike it would be for Michigan. our irish have a big load of elite 4 and 5 star kids that will be coming in for irish invasion on june 18th and recruiting writers are saying that our irish have a shot with several of them

our irish are high on the list with several elite kids so it will not be a big loss not getting ambry Thomas and corey Malone-hatcher unlike it would be for Michigan. our irish have a big load of elite 4 and 5 star kids that will be coming in for irish invasion on june 18th and recruiting writers are saying that our irish have a shot with several of them

I think we will be fine with or without them. Of course I hope we land both but not sure if you noticed Harbaugh is pretty good at this recruiting thing...arguable nobody had as good of a last two/three weeks of the recruiting cycle than JH this past year landing top 100/250 players nobody thought we had a legit shot with (at one point or another).

Speaking of which...in the last week alone Michigan has shot to the top of the list (and might be getting a commit from him in the next month) for a WDE who is Rivals 100. Michigan also got a visit this past weekend from a R250 SDE who is blowing up nationally...we might just lead for him as well. We might end up getting both or neither but my point is Harbaugh certainly does not have his eggs in one basket. If we don't land CMH it could very well be because Michigan wants someone else.

So I'm sure someone will claim I'm just setting up an excuse for not landing him...not what I'm trying to do. More pointing out that this is not Hoke recruiting where he focuses in on one or two kids (at a position) and goes all in. Harbaugh plays a long game where he is constantly evaluating and changing his board. This does not mean he drops kids just because they don't commit quick enough...but rather that his list is never short on top prospects even if a couple commit elsewhere. Look at Thomas' position for example. This past year Michigan landed 2 4* CBs (one R100, one R250). They landed both in January and at this time last year both were committed to other schools (our CB board this time last year looked very different than what we ended up with and what we ended up with was impressive). Ambry himself is a good example of how JH recruits...6 months ago it seemed like Michigan had maybe a 1% chance with him...as recently as a couple/few weeks ago it seemed Michigan was #5 on his top 5 list...now it seems like we've made a pretty big move with him after his visit this past weekend...so yeah, if you follow how JH recruits your statement seems a bit off...long game buddy...

Read much? "but think ND will intentionally over sign" is one persons opinion about something that has not happened yet. Will = future tense. Yet you managed to work up a speech over it? Wow.
Over-signing due to natural attrition and over-signing because you know some of your signees
won't pan out and you can pull their schollie and give it to someone else who is better next year
are two different things.

Not trying to rationalize at all, but Christ, hedging your bets because you anticipate transfers/injuries/draft is something great coaches should do. Having a backup plan
(or depth as we call it) instead of being caught off-guard and depleted when someone
transfers is great planning in my opinion. Not cheating. Not slimy. Not skirting the rules.

Does anyone here think that Davis will decommit & take up Auburn on their offer to start right away?
Also, since Book was a decommit from WSU, now that we singed Jurkovec do you think he bolts also?

Does anyone here think that Davis will decommit & take up Auburn on their offer to start right away?
Also, since Book was a decommit from WSU, now that we singed Jurkovec do you think he bolts also?
No and No. He wants to get a real degree so Auburn is out and Book wants to compete with the best.

Quick update...

I think Corey Malone-Hatcher picks Michigan tomorrow.

With Irish Invasion coming up there are 3 guys that I think will be Irish before the end of June.

6'3, 245lb DE Jonathon MacCollister: teammate and best friend of Parker Boudreaux. Offers from Clemson, Miami, Auburn, Virginia Tech, Oregon, Tennessee, UCLA, among others.

6'3, 215lbs DE J'akyre Daley: bringing his dad and committing shortly after the visit. Very good student and the family understands the whole package ND offers. Oklahoma is the leader coming into the visit.

6'1, 185lb DE Amari Carter: former teammate of Te'Von Coney. Rumoured to be a ND lean. Offers from Clemson, LSU, Miami among others.

Quick update...

I think Corey Malone-Hatcher picks Michigan tomorrow.

With Irish Invasion coming up there are 3 guys that I think will be Irish before the end of June.

6'3, 245lb DE Jonathon MacCollister: teammate and best friend of Parker Boudreaux. Offers from Clemson, Miami, Auburn, Virginia Tech, Oregon, Tennessee, UCLA, among others.

6'3, 215lbs DE J'akyre Daley: bringing his dad and committing shortly after the visit. Very good student and the family understands the whole package ND offers. Oklahoma is the leader coming into the visit.

6'1, 185lb DE Amari Carter: former teammate of Te'Von Coney. Rumoured to be a ND lean. Offers from Clemson, LSU, Miami among others.
Rather slight for a DE, eh? [smile]

3rd down pass rusher like what ND was trying to get out of Bo Wallace. He'll be a 240lb'er before he's done, and he's it an elite first step. His film is fun to watch :)
So he goes from High School safety to Rush end D1? 180 lbs. to 240? This is Carter I was referring to .

They announced 7 recruits from Baylor announced they have asked to be released from their LOIs.
Is ND in play for any of them?

They announced 7 recruits from Baylor announced they have asked to be released from their LOIs.
Is ND in play for any of them?
As of now Baylor is not letting them go, but public pressure could change that.

So he goes from High School safety to Rush end D1? 180 lbs. to 240? This is Carter I was referring to .

That's exactly what Ohio State did with Hubbard

He already had a big year behind Bosa, and is going to explode in 2016
(I really wish we had gone hard after him)

I think we need to take 1-2 extra "project DL" each year that aren't elite prospects at the moment, but have major upside if developed properly for 2-3 year.

Jhohnny Williams, Micah Dew-Treadway, Bradon Tiassum, Bo Wallace, Peter Mokwuah, Ade Ogundeji, and even Daniel Cage (to an extent) were all examples of this from previous classes.

I'd like to see 1-2 in this class as well. And start seeing us do with them what Stanford and Michigan State have done with older DLs that they were able to develop from projects to legit winning level CFB players over time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT