ADVERTISEMENT

Position Battles

Golson5

All Star
Apr 15, 2019
Going to put my predictions for who I think wins the position battles and wanted to see what others are thinking. This is only for the beginning of the year, not who takes over during the season

1. Wagner wins the RT job. Hearing good things from ND reports about Aamil. Higher upside

2. Spindler wins the LG job. Bigger stronger and nastier than Coogan. I give Rocco the nod

3. Collins wins the boundary WR job. Thomas will play all 3 spots and play a lot but Collins gets the start over him

4. Gray wins the field CB job. Mickey will play a ton but Gray is too good not to be on the field

Any other battles or thoughts?

Going to put my predictions for who I think wins the position battles and wanted to see what others are thinking. This is only for the beginning of the year, not who takes over during the season

1. Wagner wins the RT job. Hearing good things from ND reports about Aamil. Higher upside

2. Spindler wins the LG job. Bigger stronger and nastier than Coogan. I give Rocco the nod

3. Collins wins the boundary WR job. Thomas will play all 3 spots and play a lot but Collins gets the start over him

4. Gray wins the field CB job. Mickey will play a ton but Gray is too good not to be on the field

Not only do I agree with you, I hope you’re right on each. We rarely talk about battles for the two deep, but the battle for our number two QB could get really interesting. I’m thinking Minchey might win the number two job, but displacing Angeli and fighting off Carr’s ascent will be one hell of a challenge.

Not only do I agree with you, I hope you’re right on each. We rarely talk about battles for the two deep, but the battle for our number two QB could get really interesting. I’m thinking Minchey might win the number two job, but displacing Angeli and fighting off Carr’s ascent will be one hell of a challenge.
Based on what I saw in the bowl game, IMO Steve Angeli will be the backup QB at TAM, and beyond.

Last edited:
I expect Angeli to probably win the backup job to start the year. But I wouldnt be surprised at all if Carr takes over

We know

I said I wouldn't
A veteran team with national championship aspirations being QB'd by a true freshman, when you have a capable junior QB who has proven he can play, is not something I see happening.

I like CJ Carr. A lot. But not this season.

Reactions: Chitown11
A veteran team with national championship aspirations being QB'd by a true freshman, when you have a capable junior QB who has proven he can play, is not something I see happening.

I like CJ Carr. A lot. But not this season.
If there is a close game and we need someone to step in I'll put in Angeli

If Leonard gets injured and is going to miss serious time, I'm putting in Carr

More talented, higher upside. Nothing I've seen or read about him says freshman.

Reactions: echowaker and sjb75

This is good stuff.

You think Collins beats out Thomas? I remember Thomas playing so well 2 seasons ago when healthy.

Reactions: NDinNJ
Me neither. More talented and the longer he's in the system the better he'll be. The QB room is strong. Confident in all of them to run the offense effectively.
If Riley Leonard goes down in game 1, I will be very surprised if CJ Carr is the QB leading this team at TAM. And as I stated above, based on what I watched in the bowl game last December, I believe Steve Angeli will be named the backup QB for 2024.

Last edited:
Reactions: NDinNJ and Pennick4
If Riley Leonard goes down in game 1, I will be very surprised if CJ Carr is the QB leading this team at TAM. And as I stated above, based on what I watched in the bowl game last December, I believe Steve Angeli will be named the backup QB for 2024.
I agree. Angeli will certainly be the #2 week 1. Now going forward would depend on a number of factors including how Angeli would have performed in that scenario and also the severity of the injury to Leonard and his future availability.

Anybody likely to transfer after summer if they fall too far down on the depth chart? Baker? Minchey?

Anybody likely to transfer after summer if they fall too far down on the depth chart? Baker? Minchey?
Can't and be eligible to play elsewhere this season. The portal window for the 2024 season is closed. One can choose to transfer and leave the team. Not sure how that would effect their scholarship for the fall semester. Guessing they would forfeit it.

Reactions: sjb75
I expect Angeli to probably win the backup job to start the year. But I wouldnt be surprised at all if Carr takes over
Hypothetical: Denbrock dials up an offensive game plan heavy on run pass options, and designed QB runs; and we’re having good success nullifying TA&M’s defensive pressure, opening up our passing attack, etc…. Leonard gets knocked out with a slight concussion, but can’t Return, and it’s late in the 2nd qtr and we lead 14-7. I know Angeli is the safe choice and he has earned it; but is he the best choice given the success of our game plan and the abilities of Carr and Minchey? Hope this remains hypothetical for the entire season, but….

Hypothetical: Denbrock dials up an offensive game plan heavy on run pass options, and designed QB runs; and we’re having good success nullifying TA&M’s defensive pressure, opening up our passing attack, etc…. Leonard gets knocked out with a slight concussion, but can’t Return, and it’s late in the 2nd qtr and we lead 14-7. I know Angeli is the safe choice and he has earned it; but is he the best choice given the success of our game plan and the abilities of Carr and Minchey? Hope this remains hypothetical for the entire season, but….
Man that is a tough call. I might go with Angeli just for that game. If that same scenario happened at any other game or point in the season I would go with Carr

Reactions: IrishMike409
Are there battles brewing at LB?

Kiser
Bowen
Sneed
KVA
Ausberry
Zinter

Will Ausberry force his way onto the field?

Is it a given that Bowen is gonna be the MIKE?

Can KVA contribute for a playoff bound team as a true freshman?

Can Sneed emerge and become a star?

Zinter is a monster. Does he have a pathway to PT?

Kiser
Bowen
Sneed
KVA
Ausberry
Zinter

IMO there are no battles. Kiser, Bowen, and Sneed are the starters. After that, no clue.

Kiser
Bowen
Sneed
KVA
Ausberry
Zinter

I think 5 guys play a good amount

Kiser
Bowen
Sneed
Ausberry
KVA

I think Zinter and Kia are both good enough but there won't be any snaps for them unless there are some injuries

Yes Ausberry forces his way onto the field

Bowen and KVA both play a lot at Mike

I hope so on Sneed

Man that is a tough call. I might go with Angeli just for that game. If that same scenario happened at any other game or point in the season I would go with Carr
Agree -- Angeli would probably be the short term answer in that situation. Carr's overall development will be key though.

That is the battle (back up QB spot) I am anxious to see play out this camp and throughout the fall -- Angeli and Carr -- they can only make each other better. And then -- how does Minchey fit into the equation? Nice to have an abundance of talent to work with.

Last edited:
Reactions: echowaker
I think that potential dilemna is there regardless...as Leonard is prone to tuck and run even when the play was a pass first call. So the receivers being able to create space for the ball is critical. My guess is that they would go with Angeli first, but he would have a small window to produce...a couple of possessions to get it done. Otherwise, he is replaced. They have to maximize the quarterback room production if Leonard is knocked out....Frankly...even if he doesn't get knocked out.

Based on what I watched in the bowl game last December, zero doubt in my mind Steve Angeli is the best choice in that scenario.

Angeli IMO will be named the the backup QB in late August, and barring injury, I believe he will the backup QB the entire season.

Agree and hope this is correct.

Other open items

Is evans ready for A&M?
Is Mitchell starting field WR because he's good or because we have no one else
How do we work in Thomas, Faison, Greathouse where Faison to me is the one with the best ability to get open
Do we finally use some frichan tempo on offense because we have enough WRs to substitute?
Who is 3rd RB, my guess is Aneyas.
DE starter - Botelho most likely splitting major reps with Traore (Jr needs to be in for run situations only)
Is Rubio back where he can contribute right away
Who wins second safety position - Probably heard. Is Shuler next for either position or does Talich get PT too

Agree and hope this is correct.

Other open items

Is evans ready for A&M?
Is Mitchell starting field WR because he's good or because we have no one else
How do we work in Thomas, Faison, Greathouse where Faison to me is the one with the best ability to get open
Do we finally use some frichan tempo on offense because we have enough WRs to substitute?
Who is 3rd RB, my guess is Aneyas.
DE starter - Botelho most likely splitting major reps with Traore (Jr needs to be in for run situations only)
Is Rubio back where he can contribute right away
Who wins second safety position - Probably heard. Is Shuler next for either position or does Talich get PT too
I don’t see Traore taking lots of reps from Botelho; mostly just some passing downs. I think he needs another year to be adequate as a consistent run down player because of size.

Kiser
Bowen
Sneed
Ausberry
KVA

I think Zinter and Kia are both good enough but there won't be any snaps for them unless there are some injuries

I hope so on Sneed
Everything we read about Spring practice and the player development strongly supports this view. Really incredible competition and great depth. Keeping KIA off the field will be really challenging if his Spring practice performance is indicative of consistent play on his part. But clearly, the five listed will all rotate. Damn, I hope this is the year we see Sneed breakout and realize his potential.

I don’t see Traore taking lots of reps from Botelho; mostly just some passing downs. I think he needs another year to be adequate as a consistent run down player because of size.
I hope he's ready to take on more this year because it's not JR. We need significantly more pass rush from that position not requiring so much LB blitzing

Kiser
Bowen
Sneed
Ausberry
KVA

I hope so on Sneed
Id like to see more of Bowen/Sneed/Ausberry/KVA and a LOT less of Kiser

All I know is that in my NCAA College Football 25 Dynasty I've been rotating 40 players on defense and 32 on 35 on offense. I will not have anyone transferring on me.

All kidding aside I think the db spots and linebackers will be really looked at the first month of the season with several guys playing.

Reactions: Kelso86
TelX

I hope Denbrock has the right stuff to go against Freeman and current conventional ND wisdom and put Carr in. Carr has the upside

In years past, meaning before the Kelly shit show, our freshman or inexperienced qb would get the nod quite often.
We were not hesitant to put them in a game and see what happens. I’m afraid Angeli is the auto pick and that’s a shame. He is the Ian Book of this team

Capable, can run, but can’t see the field and has limited reads. And being able to scan your receivers is the big key. You either have that or you don’t

Reactions: Telx1
Why ? Kiser is a solid, quality player. He might not have the physical gifts of the others but there is way more to playing the position than that. He'll get plenty of snaps and rightly so.
Agree, we need a captain/coach at one of the LB spots to compliment the young inexperienced talent.

Reactions: Telx1
Why ? Kiser is a solid, quality player. He might not have the physical gifts of the others but there is way more to playing the position than that. He'll get plenty of snaps and rightly so.
Tired of Joe Schmitt type LB's

TelX

I hope Denbrock has the right stuff to go against Freeman and current conventional ND wisdom and put Carr in. Carr has the upside

In years past, meaning before the Kelly shit show, our freshman or inexperienced qb would get the nod quite often.
We were not hesitant to put them in a game and see what happens. I’m afraid Angeli is the auto pick and that’s a shame. He is the Ian Book of this team

Capable, can run, but can’t see the field and has limited reads. And being able to scan your receivers is the big key. You either have that or you don’t
If Steve Angeli is Ian Book, that’s fine with me.

CJ Carr has been on campus since January.

Steve Angeli didn’t transfer after the Spring semester.

I truly believe the coaching staff appreciates Steve Angeli and what he brings to the QB room.

Last edited:
CJ Carr has been on campus since January.

Steve Angeli didn’t transfer after the Spring semester.

I truly believe the coaching staff appreciates Steve Angeli and what he brings to the QB room.
You can possibly beat A&M on the road with Angeli due to his time in the program and some good experience. I don't see Carr or Minchey playing their first college real plays and handling that well. So it was critical to have a good plan B for A&M game.

I hope Carr starts taking backup reps more as season goes on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT