ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Matt Kuchar

echowaker

All Star
Feb 5, 2003
anyone have any thoughts on his actions with the caddy in Mexico ? not a golfer but have many friends who are. most think he did himself more harm than good just to save some money. most doubt he would have ever tried the same thing here at home.

anyone have any thoughts on his actions with the caddy in Mexico ? not a golfer but have many friends who are. most think he did himself more harm than good just to save some money. most doubt he would have ever tried the same thing here at home.

Not versed on this. U r probably right. But don’t care

The main point here imo is how f uped the world is. U can’t piss without someone telling what color it is

It’s nobodys business. And I wish more people would disown the age of internet and social media and return to being civil

It did suck though! I hope he never wins another tourney.

The main point here imo is how f uped the world is. U can’t piss without someone telling what color it is

It’s nobodys business. And I wish more people would disown the age of internet and social media and return to being civil
yep. for all the good the internet and social media can do i think it does more harm in the long run.

Avid golfer with a brother that has played professionally. If what Kuchar said is true then I'm fine with what he did. Agreed on 3k ended up paying him 5k and offered and additional 15k. A pro caddie would have made anywhere from 50-100k (before taxes) if their player won. Kuch didn't go and get a pro caddie, he got a local caddie that typically makes $200 a day. You have to pay more for higher level caddies, comes with the territory. The caddie most likely did FAR FAR FAR less to help kuch win the tournament. He probably just carried bag, fixed divots, raked bunkers, and cleaned clubs/balls. Even being a local, I doubt he even helped read greens. Pros typically really need to trust someone to let them help read greens.

My point is, this guy probably did less than he typically does on a daily basis and made $5K and could have accepted an additional $15k. The issue is people now in his ear saying pro caddies typically make 5-10%. That's true, but he's not a pro caddie, and he didn't do what a pro caddie does.

Reactions: uteck42
He is one of the most popular well-liked players on tour, by the other players, the fans, and the media. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

Stay off the internet

Got to love Golfers.... 95% of them grew up completely privileged on the local Country Club with the silver spoon in their hands......

Guy wins what $1.2MM and throws out 5 g-birds.... less than half of 1%!

Avid golfer with a brother that has played professionally. If what Kuchar said is true then I'm fine with what he did. Agreed on 3k ended up paying him 5k and offered and additional 15k. A pro caddie would have made anywhere from 50-100k (before taxes) if their player won. Kuch didn't go and get a pro caddie, he got a local caddie that typically makes $200 a day. You have to pay more for higher level caddies, comes with the territory. The caddie most likely did FAR FAR FAR less to help kuch win the tournament. He probably just carried bag, fixed divots, raked bunkers, and cleaned clubs/balls. Even being a local, I doubt he even helped read greens. Pros typically really need to trust someone to let them help read greens.

My point is, this guy probably did less than he typically does on a daily basis and made $5K and could have accepted an additional $15k. The issue is people now in his ear saying pro caddies typically make 5-10%. That's true, but he's not a pro caddie, and he didn't do what a pro caddie does.
Kuchar didnt win any events last year with a 'pro' caddy.... maybe he should stick with this guy?... if anything just for good luck....

Reactions: echowaker

Many points to be made, just depends on what side of the coin you want to stand on -- basically, he made a deal with a local caddie, they agreed on a price and he paid above that (and offered more). Maybe at the time of the "agreement" something could have been arranged if he won the tournament as well.

That said, I am sure after the tournament was over, many "locals" were in his ear about getting more. He (the caddie) agreed to the amount, and as others have said, was probably much more than he would have made elsewhere. If he wanted more, he should have taken the additional amount offered. Overall, sounds like it was a normal, arms length transaction that BOTH parties mutually agreed to.

He has the chance to change a guy/a family's life and he he needed public pressure to up his-offer? Financialy, It would have not mattered an iota to MK.
The caddie showed more class.

Last edited:
Many points to be made, just depends on what side of the coin you want to stand on -- basically, he made a deal with a local caddie, they agreed on a price and he paid above that (and offered more). Maybe at the time of the "agreement" something could have been arranged if he won the tournament as well.

That said, I am sure after the tournament was over, many "locals" were in his ear about getting more. He (the caddie) agreed to the amount, and as others have said, was probably much more than he would have made elsewhere. If he wanted more, he should have taken the additional amount offered. Overall, sounds like it was a normal, arms length transaction that BOTH parties mutually agreed to.

No doubt on paper he did nothing wrong. Reason he comes across as a tool is because you have to ask yourself what you would do in that situation? You just won over $1MM and it is your biggest win in years (lots of L's with pro caddies).... if it was me... I am tipping him good and asking him what he is doing next weekend (or whenever the next tournament is). . . I don't know if Golf has Karma Gods like baseball does.... but if they do they are not happy with him...

Think he does the same if the tournament was in the United States ? the golfers i know don't think so.
If he grabbed a joe schmo caddie that had never caddied in a professional event, yes.

When Tiger woods made his return after his rehabilitation from being a addict, he had his buddy caddy for him to finish out the season after firing stevie williams. He did the same thing and paid him a flat agreed upon fee for his time, not a % of winnings. And it wasn't a huge amount from what i heard because tiger did all the yardages and club selection.

Kuch was paying the guy $3k no matter his finish or if he made the cut. Guess how much a typical caddie makes if his player misses the cut? 0

Reactions: ThomasSowell
Got to love Golfers.... 95% of them grew up completely privileged on the local Country Club with the silver spoon in their hands......

Guy wins what $1.2MM and throws out 5 g-birds.... less than half of 1%!
uninformed again............ he offered $20K but only $5k was accepted.

No doubt on paper he did nothing wrong. Reason he comes across as a tool is because you have to ask yourself what you would do in that situation? You just won over $1MM and it is your biggest win in years (lots of L's with pro caddies).... if it was me... I am tipping him good and asking him what he is doing next weekend (or whenever the next tournament is). . . I don't know if Golf has Karma Gods like baseball does.... but if they do they are not happy with him...
$15k seems like a pretty good tip to carry someones bag. The guy didn't do yardages, club selection, green reading.

Golf gods really are mad allowing him to get a 1st place in Sony last month and a 4th place in phoenix 2 weeks ago.

do you have a link that says when he offered the additional $15k. Doesn't change my opinion but all i've seen is it says he paid $5k and subsequently offered and additional $15k.

Answer this, does the caddie take the same deal if offered again?

do you have a link that says when he offered the additional $15k. Doesn't change my opinion but all i've seen is it says he paid $5k and subsequently offered and additional $15k.

What did other caddies make who did the exact same job but their player lost?

I think most people are missing this main point here. Huge difference between what a tour caddie does vs what was required of this caddie. He had next to no influence on matt winning the event.

I think most people are missing this main point here. Huge difference between what a tour caddie does vs what was required of this caddie. He had next to no influence on matt winning the event.
He should just walk across the unprotected Southern border and get a job caddying in California with the full perks.

Yeah man this is not it. Kucher is a public figure, being a public figure and profiting off of his position in the public makes him completely susceptible to criticism by the public. I do agree that for more common/private people the internet and social media have changed the dynamic in a way that I am not sure is positive.

No true.

He gave him an envelope with $5k & said “goodbye.”
Then when the caddie did the interview about it Kucher’s people contacted him & offered $15k more after the fact.

Just to add to this: was listening to Rome & then another talk show while on my run who had a guy from the Golf Channel who confirmed that he & multiple people saw Kucher & the caddie take the winner’s picture, saw Kucher hand him the envelop, then say goodbye to him & just walk away. And in the envelop was $5k.

Last edited:
Reactions: nemeth#5

This isn’t true either.

The caddie was well known at that course & was purposely chosen by Kucher for that reason.
If you specifically choose a person based on their expertise, you should treat them as a pro, because they are that week.

Reactions: nemeth#5
This isn’t true either.

The caddie was well known at that course & was purposely chosen by Kucher for that reason.
If you specifically choose a person based on their expertise, you should treat them as a pro, because they are that week.
He did treat him as a pro, but you don't PAY someone that isn't a pro a pro rate. It's dumb. I watched some of the tournament, the caddie was not doing all the duties of a typical pro caddie.

When did an agreement paid in full with a 25% tip become bad?

A well known caddie at a course equates to $50K if you win an event as the caddie is now requesting? Nope

No true.

He gave him an envelope with $5k & said “goodbye.”
Then when the caddie did the interview about it Kucher’s people contacted him & offered $15k more after the fact.

Just to add to this: was listening to Rome & then another talk show while on my run who had a guy from the Golf Channel who confirmed that he & multiple people saw Kucher & the caddie take the winner’s picture, saw Kucher hand him the envelop, then say goodbye to him & just walk away. And in the envelop was $5k.
Everything in my statement was true yet you claim it wasn't true. He paid him $5k, he offered him additional money bringing the total to $20k and it wasn't accepted. Everything I said is TRUE. I didn't say anything about when he offered the additional money. Don't turn into the fake fact checkers.

The link is here.

The additional $15k wasn't offered until after the caddy contacted Kuchar's agent to say he wasn't happy, and when he was offered the $15k he turned it down because it was still embarrassingly low. Here's the quote from the story:

Kuchar eventually offered Ortiz an additional $15,000, according to the report.

Ortiz declined the offer. He was seeking $50,000, which is the value he placed on his work that week, according to the report.

“No thank you,” he told Golf.com. “They can keep their money.”

The writer of this article is actually wrong when he says, "Kuchar eventually offered Ortiz an additional $15k." In a recent interview, Kuchar made it clear that he personally never made the offer. His agency made it, and by making this distinction he seems to be making it clear that he wasn't in favor of even doing that.

This is what the article says about verbal agreements between players and caddies. Kuchar had a verbal agreement with this particular caddy:

Verbal agreements between players and Tour caddies come with the understanding that a caddie is due 5 percent of a player’s winnings, a number that can increase to 10 percent in the event of a win.
I really don't care if Kuchar claims he had already made an agreement with this caddy. He knew what was customary. He also knew that when he was rumored to be the tour pro who had stiffed his caddy in November by paying only $3k after winning a tournament, that that was a very bad look so, to address the issue, he told everyone that, although he didn't pay the customary 10%, it was more than $3k. By framing the issue that way he made it clear he knew it was a very bad look and tried to address the issue semantically by essentially saying, "Hey, I paid the guy more than $3k" and hoped everyone would think the actual amount he paid was a reasonable amount. Obviously, it wasn't. In the meantime, he had a lot of time to properly avoid this public embarrassment by doing what was right before this became a national story. He chose not to do that. Now he is being dragged by the vast majority of the golfing community and he deserves it.

hahahaha....

At the end of the day here are roughly the facts;... correct me where I am wrong.

Agreed to do the job for $3k
Wins $1MM+
Pays guy $5k (.05%) and maybe offers him $20k (2%).

You are right, he doesn't owe him anymore than what was agreed upon.... but I wouldn't do that to the guy and no one from where I am from or anyone I would speak highly of would do it either. And that is why he is a d-bag in my book.

Probably like most pro golfers and grew up at the country club with a silver spoon..... and all the golf fan bois drool over them and call them 'athletes.'..... truth is, if people around the world had the opportunities like they did..... these frat boys wouldn't be on the course... they would be working for daddys law firm.

Reactions: Bumpdaddy
MK had an opportunity. But he was self centered, insensitive, uncaring....
A poster above mentioned, opportunity todo akindness was ignored, or rebuked.
Then MK tried to explain it away! 1,300,000 ! 50k and MK would not even notice-it gone!
But a family would have a real positive life Event!

Patrick Reed.... Poster boy for PGA Golfers..... such an athlete, good guy, all-american role model.

merCpPFb_400x400.jpg

Patrick Reed.... Poster boy for PGA Golfers..... such an athlete, good guy, all-american role model.

merCpPFb_400x400.jpg

A faulty generalization is a conclusion about all or many instances of a phenomenon that has been reached on the basis of just one or just a few instances of that phenomenon

MK had an opportunity. But he was self centered, insensitive, uncaring....
A poster above mentioned, opportunity todo akindness was ignored, or rebuked.
Then MK tried to explain it away! 1,300,000 ! 50k and MK would not even notice-it gone!
But a family would have a real positive life Event!
Someone has to respond to Perse for the love of god. MK didn't do anything wrong per se. There was an agreement made, it was not an agreement that would have been made in America on the tour but the reality is that the caddy involved was not one on the tour. MK does not have an obligation to be kind to the caddy or care about the caddy outside of the agreement that had. Does MK look cheap and/or like a dick, sure. Does being cheap and looking like a dick mean that he owed the caddy anything more then the agreement? Naw... Perse stop crying.

Reactions: ThomasSowell
Someone has to respond to Perse for the love of god. MK didn't do anything wrong per se. There was an agreement made, it was not an agreement that would have been made in America on the tour but the reality is that the caddy involved was not one on the tour. MK does not have an obligation to be kind to the caddy or care about the caddy outside of the agreement that had. Does MK look cheap and/or like a dick, sure. Does being cheap and looking like a dick mean that he owed the caddy anything more then the agreement? Naw... Perse stop crying.
Victimization mentality intensifies

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT