ADVERTISEMENT

Any chance Angeli could start over

Dec 29, 2005
Leonard next season?

I watched the game with two life long friends (ND fans) and we discussed this at length.

The prevailing thought was Leonard would have to compete for the job to some degree but Angeli is probably #2 on the coaches board even after today.

I and a few others here said we liked how Angeli looked during mop duty this season, and then he threw one pick and many here were pulling their hair out and yammering about how bad ND’s QBs were.

In all honesty, I’d be fine if Angeli was going to take over next year if ND hadn’t gone out and gotten Leonard. I like what I’ve seen of Leonard in spots but it was hard to gauge him this season as he played with two injuries most of the year.

Angeli actually moves and runs pretty well. I think he was trying to prove something today with putting his head down and fighting for yards, he had a nice showing, I was happy for him.

Reactions: TurtleBK
Leonard next season?

I watched the game with two life long friends (ND fans) and we discussed this at length.

The prevailing thought was Leonard would have to compete for the job to some degree but Angeli is probably #2 on the coaches board even after today.

I and a few others here said we liked how Angeli looked during mop duty this season, and then he threw one pick and many here were pulling their hair out and yammering about how bad ND’s QBs were.

In all honesty, I’d be fine if Angeli was going to take over next year if ND hadn’t gone out and gotten Leonard. I like what I’ve seen of Leonard in spots but it was hard to gauge him this season as he played with two injuries most of the year.

Angeli actually moves and runs pretty well. I think he was trying to prove something today with putting his head down and fighting for yards, he had a nice showing, I was happy for him.
Keep the Sun Bowl in perspective. Starting a football game against a depleted Oregon State team on a neutral field in front of a pro Notre Dame crowd........versus starting in front of 115,000 at College Station, TX., game #1 against the best TAM will have to offer, including a real coaching staff..... are two different animals.

Seasoned senior to be Riley Leonard was recruited for a reason.

Keep the Sun Bowl in perspective. Starting a football game against a depleted Oregon State team on a neutral field in front of a pro Notre Dame crowd........versus starting in front of 115,000 at College Station, TX., game #1 against the best TAM will have to offer, including a real coaching staff..... are two different animals.

Agreed

But now he has tape for others to see.

We'll see this spring----let the best man win. My sense on him is he's going to fight tooth and nail for it.

and we could say the same about the ND offense. In reality, the Oregon State defense was NOT depleted.

I root for two things in a game, the Irish to be victorious and no injuries (friend or foe). That being said, Riley only played in a few games this year, hopefully Angeli stays in the program because he could see meaningful snaps.

Look at Tommy Rees, the last ND QB to win the Sun Bowl. He was always intended to be a backup.

2010 he goes 4-0, because Crist got hurt.

2011 he is a back up, but gets the job back Week 1, when Crist short circuits vs USF.

2012 he is a back up. But comes in as a reliable reliever, and helps win games vs Purdue, Michigan, Stanford, then starts and wins a game vs BYU in a 12-0 reg season.

2013 he is supposed to be a back up but Golson gets suspended. Starter for the whole season ends career winning the Pinstripe Bowl. In a 9-4 season

Needless to say Ian Book was never intended to be a starter either, and ended up winning more football games than any ND QB in history. .

Look at Tommy Rees, the last ND QB to win the Sun Bowl. He was always intended to be a backup.

2010 he goes 4-0, because Crist got hurt.

2011 he is a back up, but gets the job back Week 1, when Crist short circuits vs USF.

2012 he is a back up. But comes in as a reliable reliever, and helps win games vs Purdue, Michigan, Stanford, then starts and wins a game vs BYU in a 12-0 reg season.

2013 he is supposed to be a back up but Golson gets suspended. Starter for the whole season ends career winning the Pinstripe Bowl. In a 9-4 season

Needless to say Ian Book was never intended to be a starter either, and ended up winning more football games than any ND QB in history. .
Well said. Hopefully Steve reads this post lol. That’s how fast you go from back up to starter in cfb.

I like Angeli's intangibles. He seems really mature beyond his age and highly intelligent.

After his performance against OSU he'll get a legitimate opportunity if not at Notre Dame it'll be somewhere

Leonard next season?

I like everything about him, but there’s zero chance he starts at A&M next season.

It would be one thing if Leonard were a freshman with no experience and no results, but it’s another thing to outplay someone like Leonard who has both talent and plenty of game experience and results. Angeli’s case would be based on one impressive game, a few spot appearances, and then some practices. I’m not sure if that’s even possible.

Another thing to think about is future transfers like Leonard; Leonard, sought after by everybody and in the position to choose where he goes, is coming here to start and everyone knows that. If we start AngelI, it will set a precedent for others thinking about transferring to play QB, i.e., it’s not a guarantee but an open competition. There’s no way MF or ND risks that.

Big fan of Steve! But it is Leonard's job -- look how in his Soph season he put a undermanned Duke team on his shoulders and got them to 9 wins (including a bowl W). With ND's talent on both sides of the ball, and Dembrock calling the plays, I'm expecting a big year.

I do hope PB Angeli stays, because you never know (injuries) but will totally bless his decision to move on if he so choses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT