ADVERTISEMENT

ND vs LSU Recruiting

IrishBeer

Posts Like A Champion
Dec 6, 2021
I said it when MF was hired as HC that I think he'd out recruit BK at LSU. I was crucified and told that LA has too much talent and BK will dominate ND in recruiting. This isn't close to being over, but I would love for those folks to add their comments again considering the developments in recruiting on both sides since Bowl game. Gray is being taken from LSU by the way. At what point will BK start "dominating MF"? I am curious when in this cycle that will take place?

I said it when MF was hired as HC that I think he'd out recruit BK at LSU. I was crucified and told that LA has too much talent and BK will dominate ND in recruiting. This isn't close to being over, but I would love for those folks to add their comments again considering the developments in recruiting on both sides since Bowl game. Gray is being taken from LSU by the way. At what point will BK start "dominating MF"? I am curious when in this cycle that will take place?
Bring this up in December.

Notre Dame is also out recruiting Alabama and TAM.

This will get resurrected. So far he lost Manning, the 5 star in state safety, Gray. He's likely to lose Ausberry. He is going to end up 2nd for Dante Moore. He's taking 3 star kids like crazy that ND would turn away. If ND is expected to land a top 5 class, I'd really like to know how BK is going to 1. land a top 5 given he's filling the class with 3 stars, 2. how that's dominating him. We'll see. What I see currently from the LSU recruiting is status quo BK. A few 4 stars. A few 3 stars. Nobody amazing. Decent class. Losing kids to other schools. Maybe his grinding on kids in videos has him in the weirdo category with Harbaugh. If he lands classes similar to how they were ranked at ND and has to play that SEC schedule, given their recent past classes being lackluster, they are going to get ass pounded. He is going to have a good team for the first two years because '21 and '20 were elite top 5 classes. But, the LSU '22 class was #15. He's on pace for something similar back to back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Notre Dame du Lac
But the weird thing is, I do feel that Kelly deserves a little credit (emphasis on little), as ND has had decent but not great success in the last 5 years. Everyone knows that roster is just a few guys away from being title contenders. The recruits I think are looking at that school and saying... well I didn't care for Kelly, but they do have a decent program. If big time recruits such as myself and others like the idea of playing for Freeman, then we can compete for a title. I don't know that Freeman would be having the recruiting success he is having now if ND has finished borderline top 25 in recruiting and finished with. 500 records in the last 5 years.

Reactions: BGI User 756
But the weird thing is, I do feel that Kelly deserves a little credit (emphasis on little), as ND has had decent but not great success in the last 5 years. Everyone knows that roster is just a few guys away from being title contenders. The recruits I think are looking at that school and saying... well I didn't care for Kelly, but they do have a decent program. If big time recruits such as myself and others like the idea of playing for Freeman, then we can compete for a title. I don't know that Freeman would be having the recruiting success he is having now if ND has finished borderline top 25 in recruiting and finished with. 500 records in the last 5 years.
A ton of credit. He's an elite coach at growing a program of winning. He just isn't an elite recruiter. I think if he could recruit elite talent, he could win a title. Unfortunately, he can't. You need both. He's an unlikable guy that hates to recruit. I said it when he was hired, BKs only hope at a title is in years 1-3. After that, it will be his good, not elite recruits and the '22 class was not great. LSU's 2019 - 2021 classes were all elite, top 5 classes. You'd have to be very lousy not to win there. He's going to look amazing his first couple of years. But, he will set them back in recruiting and by year 3, they will start to level out.

A ton of credit. He's an elite coach at growing a program of winning. He just isn't an elite recruiter. I think if he could recruit elite talent, he could win a title. Unfortunately, he can't. You need both. He's an unlikable guy that hates to recruit. I said it when he was hired, BKs only hope at a title is in years 1-3. After that, it will be his good, not elite recruits and the '22 class was not great. LSU's 2019 - 2021 classes were all elite, top 5 classes. You'd have to be very lousy not to win there. He's going to look amazing his first couple of years. But, he will set them back in recruiting and by year 3, they will start to level out.
I give Brian Kelly a ton of credit. The man finished 44-6 and went to two Playoffs his last 4 seasons, and he hired Marcus Freeman.

Reactions: gojvc

Notre Dame is also out recruiting Alabama and TAM.

Look at the top20 recruits for LA and you’ll see that LSU has missed on a bunch of in state talent already. They’ll probably end up around the #15 spot recruiting wise nationally. I wouldn’t suspect them having a great year on the field either. Could be wrong of course, but that is what it looks like for now.

I was looking at Kelly's recruiting history. Most years he had 1 or 2 6.0 recruits. Two years he had 3 and Jaylon's year he had 6.

Marcus already has 4 (with two guys on the cusp who are under ranked by rivals) but even if they don't move to 6.0 there are other guys coming who are already at 6.0

Plus there are two already for '24.

So an improvement, I'd say.

Look at the top20 recruits for LA and you’ll see that LSU has missed on a bunch of in state talent already. They’ll probably end up around the #15 spot recruiting wise nationally. I wouldn’t suspect them having a great year on the field either. Could be wrong of course, but that is what it looks like for now.

They should be really good. ‘19, ‘20, ‘21 were all top 5 classes. ‘22 sucked. ‘23 isn’t going to be top 5. So they’re going to be really good for a couple years. Then slide. Sadly, BK was handed a throne. All he has to do is coach. Something he’s pretty good at. His years are numbered. He’s a selfish man, so I assume he’s recruiting efforts are just to fill holes so he can try and win one in the next 1-3 years and then suck, but collect $. He just wants 1 title and his life is complete. Then he can golf until he dies.

They should be really good. ‘19, ‘20, ‘21 were all top 5 classes. ‘22 sucked. ‘23 isn’t going to be top 5. So they’re going to be really good for a couple years. Then slide. Sadly, BK was handed a throne. All he has to do is coach. Something he’s pretty good at. His years are numbered. He’s a selfish man, so I assume he’s recruiting efforts are just to fill holes so he can try and win one in the next 1-3 years and then suck. He just wants 1 title.
This is wrong. They've had a lot of transfers. And a lot when he got hired.

They will struggle this year

our 2020 class isn’t helping us for on the field success this year. Besides a couple, that class sucked. Added little upper class man depth.

This is wrong. They've had a lot of transfers. And a lot when he got hired.

They will struggle this year

I know they got a 5* QB last year, but if he doesn’t pan out, I don’t think they have much depth there either. Developing QB’s is not exactly Kelly’s forte.

Last edited:
even if we just stay close to Bama, it’s a massive improvement
Agreed. Looking at the grand scheme of things. When 2 teams play each other. It's their 25-30 best against the other teams 25-30 best. There's only so many guys you can play. That's why you don't need the #1 class annually. Does it help?? Of course! But if everything goes to plan and say at a minimum you got blue chip recruit at every position group (ideally at least one at QB, OT, DE, DE, and CB) and a strong supporting cast (which ND has) then you can compete with the big Dawgs. That's the formula Clemson has done. Oklahoma too in recent years but they just haven't been able to upgrade the overall roster/supporting cast.

Reactions: NotreDomer1
Brian Kelly was the kind of coach ND needed after Weis fizzled out, and he
rebuilt the program to the point he was able to. Multiple playoff appearances
show the state of the Fighting Irish program is strong, but there is a level of
success that teams can't reach nationally without being really strong in their
recruiting efforts.

Kelly either doesn't know how to do that or wasn't willing to hire coaches who
could help take the program to that level. His frustration level peaked after
last season and when the LSU job opened up, he saw what he thought will be
a far easier place to recruit and a university which is willing to compete in the
high-dollar athletic arms race the SEC programs seem to lead most years.

What he still doesn't seem to get is that you gotta work you butt off as a
head coach in recruiting and have a staff who do the same to get the level of
talent it takes to beat teams like Bama, UGA, and eventually OU and Texas.

The best talent in Louisiana seems to be leaving the state to play their college
football so far this class, and if he doesn't figure it out and start doing what
they are paying him so much to accomplish, the folks in Baton Rouge will be
cashiering another expensive coaching mistake within the next few years.

Reactions: tbonesays
recruiting efforts.

a far easier place to recruit and a university which is willing to compete in the

The best talent in Louisiana seems to be leaving the state to play their college
football so far this class, and if he doesn't figure it out and start doing what
Why did you write this like an epic poem?

• Sad
Reactions: tbonesays
recruiting efforts.

Good post

will come down to who gets the half dozen or so ‘impact players’

will come down to who gets the half dozen or so ‘impact players’

LSU recruiting is not good. They’re losing in state guys left and right to other SEC schools. BK is not recruiting better at LSU so far and the shopping down a different isle thing was his crutch for not being a worker at recruiting. Id be shcoked if he ends up with as good a class this year at LSU as he had last year at ND. If he ever lands a class higher than MF I’ll be surprised. Our real threat is still Ohio State.

LSU recruiting is not good. They’re losing in state guys left and right to other SEC schools. BK is not recruiting better at LSU so far and the shopping down a different isle thing was his crutch for not being a worker at recruiting. Id be shcoked if he ends up with as good a class this year at LSU as he had last year at ND. If he ever lands a class higher than MF I’ll be surprised. Our real threat is still Ohio State.
Lsu is doing pretty good work on the trail

LSU has a really good class.

Kelly’s forte is winning close games as a favorite against unranked teams. He’s almost perfected it. I would not call him a good game day coach or game planner. He plays not to lose when he’s a big favorite. I struggle to think of games he outcoached someone.

Reactions: d1042
Kelly’s forte is winning close games as a favorite against unranked teams. He’s almost perfected it. I would not call him a good game day coach or game planner. He plays not to lose when he’s a big favorite. I struggle to think of games he outcoached someone.
He also perfected ending his coaching career earning generational money for his family.

All 95,000,000.00 is guaranteed.

Kelly has certainly “outcoached” the business side of coaching.

I agree with you. Kelly will not get the wins at LSU that will draw top recruits. Kelly will have a very difficult time relating to the LSU culture.

An example of that is the fake accent he used when introduced at the bball game. Very embarrassing/cringe worthy moment.

I am a big Kelly fan but he will not be as successful at LSU as he was at ND.

Reactions: IrishBeer
Are you trying to make friends with Golson again? That's cute. You do realize that's not Everett Golson, right? Maybe you guys can meet up at a game and hug.
Or maybe you can message facts on here and stop either making stuff up. Plus stop crying

Reactions: echowaker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT