ADVERTISEMENT

Myles Garret the most egregious play in NFL history

Catholicfan95

ND Expert
Jun 3, 2013
an absolute disgraceful showing in Cleveland by one of the most promising and talented players of his generation. Anxious to see what the NFL does. Needs to be a season long suspension.

Should be suspended for the balance of the season.

Local authority/ies may press assault charges.

Reactions: Catholicfan95
You have hundreds of people browsing this forum at any given moment, it takes one person to take a minute to post a link (usually the creator of the topic), and it saves everybody else the time.

If he strikes him with the crown of the helmet?! He could have killed him guys....
Alot to unpack for this incident:
1.Garrett at minimum will get the rest of the season & lose millions of dollars in pay & endorsements.
2.Hope the media wont let Rudolph off the hook for his role in all that.
3.If people want to throw out Garrett should be charged with assault then law enforcement needs to round up every pitcher, catcher, manager who ordered or intentionally threw a 90 mph baseball at another player. Those acts can kill as well. Same goes for hockey fights.

You have hundreds of people browsing this forum at any given moment, it takes one person to take a minute to post a link (usually the creator of the topic), and it saves everybody else the time.

Reactions: chaseball
After seeing the video this is a little crazier than your typical football fight but people being charged for assault and being suspended for the entire season over this is a bit extreme IMO.

After seeing the video this is a little crazier than your typical football fight but people being charged for assault and being suspended for the entire season over this is a bit extreme IMO.
Charged for assault, yes extreme. Suspended for the season, not very extreme. He ripped the guy's helmet off and hit him in the head with it. Ive never seen anything in football that bad. Its dirtiest play I've ever seen

Extreme ?

So instead of a glancing blow, it was to the temple and Mason died you wouldn’t suspend him for the season and charge him criminally. ?

Charged for assault, yes extreme. Suspended for the season, not very extreme. He ripped the guy's helmet off and hit him in the head with it. Ive never seen anything in football that bad. Its dirtiest play I've ever seen

Miami, the U, same situation and Donna down played it.

not really as a dirty play but it will always be tough to top Bednarik standing over Frank Gifford!

Sorry brother, it happened late last night. It's everywhere man it was on every morning talk show. I'll remover to put a link though my bad

1.Garrett at minimum will get the rest of the season & lose millions of dollars in pay & endorsements.
3.If people want to throw out Garrett should be charged with assault then law enforcement needs to round up every pitcher, catcher, manager who ordered or intentionally threw a 90 mph baseball at another player. Those acts can kill as well. Same goes for hockey fights.

Rudolph actions were in response to being drug down after he released the ball, should have been roughing the passer firstly. Garret continues the play so Rudolph pulls on his helmet, have we not seen that before? Seems justified when your getting thrown like a rag doll, guys defending himself

Sounds like you are justifying this crap because they throw at each other in baseball. I would have rather the Steelers would have beat his ass to a pulp. No excuse for what he did.

then you never saw Jack Tatum play

Browns are turning into the Bengals..... dirty players... other players only care about what cleats they'll wear and how many commercials they'll be on. I look forward to karma getting these guys back... possibly in the form of two broken baker legs in a couple weeks.

Browns are turning into the Bengals..... dirty players... other players only care about what cleats they'll wear and how many commercials they'll be on. I look forward to karma getting these guys back... possibly in the form of two broken baker legs in a couple weeks.

I love the tough, physical football played in the AFC North, but all of this nonsense has to end. If you are the GM or owner of the Browns, how can you keep Freddie Kitchens? To me this is the straw that breaks the camels back, but who knows.

Well I believe there is precedent in the nhl for assault if memory serves they got a guy on assault for violently using the stick to bludgeon in a fight. Also, hard to always judge intent in baseball though I grant in many cases you can tell when a guy is thrown at, in this case intent is clear.

Id support suspension for the season and six games next year with the expectation that the players union will attempt to bargain down. I’d not blame anyone for pressing charges on assault as well I think it’s appropriate here.

This does bring up an interesting point on the players union, when will they defend the victims in these cases as hard as they defend the player perpetrating the act?

I think he gets suspended until this same week of the season in 2020. Effectively a full 17 week season. It will be interesting to see if the NFLPA supports him or files an appeal on his behalf. That's pretty standard procedure, but is it standard when the guy he basically assaulted was also a member of the NFLPA?

Reactions: nemeth#5
I think he gets suspended until this same week of the season in 2020. Effectively a full 17 week season. It will be interesting to see if the NFLPA supports him or files an appeal on his behalf. That's pretty standard procedure, but is it standard when the guy he basically assaulted was also a member of the NFLPA?
ya..... it is a full circle for the NFLPA. On one hand you dont want your player getting an egregious suspension.... on the other hand you need to protect your other clients and make sure the suspension is harsh enough to thwart anyone else from doing it again.

Hypothetically: What if the NFL comes out with some sort of low suspension/fine.... say 4 games? Does the NFLPA fight for Rudolph and appeal for more games?

ya..... it is a full circle for the NFLPA. On one hand you dont want your player getting an egregious suspension.... on the other hand you need to protect your other clients and make sure the suspension is harsh enough to thwart anyone else from doing it again.

Hypothetically: What if the NFL comes out with some sort of low suspension/fine.... say 4 games? Does the NFLPA fight for Rudolph and appeal for more games?

I would certainly hope that the NFLPA has the sense enough to know which side of the aisle they need to be on here. Now I can see them challenging a life long ban, granted unlikely, but It would be a horrible look to even fight the NFL on this one, at least I would think.

truth is any act outside the scope of the game, like this, ought be viewed and treated as any other like act, that is as a criminal assault.
The D.A. ought put out a warrant for The players arrest. It was an assault.

Garrett will likely escape charges because like in most bean ball/hockey fights situations no one was seriously hurt. As for Rudolph he is no victim here. He repeatedly ask for this fight. He is just as big a punk as Garrett in all this.

Reactions: TheSodFather
One issue this incident brings up is whether or not garbage time should be eliminated from games. This thing happened with a few seconds left in a two score game.

IMO, the refs up in the booth should have the option to notify the teams when they believe a game is 100% decided. If both coaches agree to be done, the game is over.

Garrett will likely escape charges because like in most bean ball/hockey fights situations no one was seriously hurt. As for Rudolph he is no victim here. He repeatedly ask for this fight. He is just as big a punk as Garrett in all this.
Probably the stupidest thing I will read all day........ and that is impressive because I am on this forum which routinely puts out a lot of very stupid takes.

Photo to the left, could be. Photo to the right not even close. Watch the replay, not even close.

He is the victim. 100%. His actions aren’t excusable but in the realm of altercation. Swinging a helmet at a head is assault and takes an on field fight to another level in the realm of intent to assault with a weapon. Stop with this who started it crap.

I would certainly hope that the NFLPA has the sense enough to know which side of the aisle they need to be on here. Now I can see them challenging a life long ban, granted unlikely, but It would be a horrible look to even fight the NFL on this one, at least I would think.
they have to appeal any suspension or they could be charged with malfeasance. more procedure than anything.

That's an interesting situation. I doubt that the NFLPA would do anything or say anything if he got 4 games. The public would go ape$hit though. I would say, at a minimum, he's done for the year. If he hits Rudolph with a different part of that helmet, he could have killed him. That's not going to be taken lightly.

Reactions: nemeth#5
Probably the stupidest thing I will read all day........ and that is impressive because I am on this forum which routinely puts out a lot of very stupid takes.
Rudolph starts the fights by trying to rip Garrett helmet off & kicks Garrett in the his nuts with cleats on when Garrett retaliates. Then the fight is over & Garrett is being restrained by 2 Steelers lineman. Rudolph then Charges Garrett swings on him and punches him in the nuts. Only a f'ing moron like yourself can blame this all on Garrett.

Reactions: sluggo69
Rudolph starts the fights by trying to rip Garrett helmet off & kicks Garrett in the his nuts with cleats on when Garrett retaliates. Then the fight is over & Garrett is being restrained by 2 Steelers lineman. Rudolph then Charges Garrett swings on him and punches him in the nuts. Only a f'ing moron like yourself can blame this all on Garrett.
Your read on this altercation is off entirely but keep “yes but”ing this. Myles was the only one to escalate this from run of the mill fight where both parties are involved, to assault with weapon. You should just stop now but I’m sure you won’t.

Your read on this altercation is off entirely but keep “yes but”ing this. Myles was the only one to escalate this from run of the mill fight where both parties are involved, to assault with weapon. You should just stop now but I’m sure you won’t.
Never said Garrett shouldnt be suspended but im not clutching my pearls in horror that he should be charged with assault either.

Ok.... so I am an 'f'ing moron' for thinking that the guy who slammed a helmet over someones head is more responsible and more of a punk than the guy who half-assed kicked and pulled on a helmet....? Take a step back, and re-watch the tape dude..... Not saying Rudolph is innocent but if you really think they are equally guilty..... you are just dead ass wrong. It is literally being called the dirtiest play in the NFL history and you think Rudolph is equally guilty..... GTFO. I would take it you are a Browns fan? If that is the case, I am sorry.... as the Browns are the biggest joke of a franchise ever and their biggest win in like 30 years (over a 3rd string Steelers team) is completely ruined by this clowns actions.

If we met on a street and I gave you a slight push on the shoulder..... and you retaliate by curb stomping me... would we both be equally guilty in your mind?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT