ADVERTISEMENT

One of the benefits of the Marcus Freeman hire to keep in mind

chaseball

I've posted how many times?
Sep 8, 2007
There really wasn't any candidates available that were sure-things. Why not promote a coach who seems to have a ton of potential at a modest starting salary (i'm sure) with little to no buyout who most of the players/roster were advocating for? His floor is low, but if he doesn't pan out, you see what coaches are on the move/looking for jobs next off-season and make a move.

ND is still in a good position with some really nice pieces being added in 2023.

No one names an Interim coach for an entire season. I agree with the original poster. But Freeman needs to have a quick hook if things go bad. 0-2 wins he gets fired this year. I don’t expect that. 3+ he gets one more year.

No one names an Interim coach for an entire season. I agree with the original poster. But Freeman needs to have a quick hook if things go bad. 0-2 wins he gets fired this year. I don’t expect that. 3+ he gets one more year.
Does the name Hugh Devore ring a bell ?

Reactions: NDinNJ
There really wasn't any candidates available that were sure-things. Why not promote a coach who seems to have a ton of potential at a modest starting salary (i'm sure) with little to no buyout who most of the players/roster were advocating for? His floor is low, but if he doesn't pan out, you see what coaches are on the move/looking for jobs next off-season and make a move.

ND is still in a good position with some really nice pieces being added in 2023.
Absolutely loved mark stoops. I’d be shocked if he said no back in Dec.

“…Why not promote a coach who seems to have a ton of potential at a modest starting salary (i'm sure) with little to no buyout who most of the players/roster were advocating for?….”

How did that work out for USC?

Fickell would’ve taken the job. He made the playoffs and beat BK.

Fickell would’ve taken the job. He made the playoffs and beat BK.
Luke Fickell and his wife are both Ohio born and bred, they love Cincinnati, and they weren’t uprooting their 6 young kids and move out of state. IMO the only job they will move for is Ohio State.

If Luke Fickell goes to Nebraska, then I will say I was wrong.

Reactions: Airzee23
Luke Fickell and his wife are both Ohio born and bred, they love Cincinnati, and they weren’t uprooting their 6 young kids and move out of state. IMO the only job they will move for is Ohio State.

Matt Rhule, Mark Stoops. There were 100 coaches that had proven they can win and had experience.

Matt Rhule, Mark Stoops. There were 100 coaches that had proven they can win and had experience.
I have read and heard Matt Ruhle loves the NFL. lifestyle, and IMO he is not going back to chasing 16-year-olds around the country and nationally recruiting like you do at Notre Dame.

If Ruhle takes the Nebraska job then I will say I was wrong.

I have read and heard Matt Ruhle loves the NFL. lifestyle, and IMO he is not going back to chasing 16-year-olds around the country and nationally recruiting like you do at Notre Dame.

If Ruhle takes the Nebraska job then I will say I was wrong.
Ruhle openly stated he'd take the Michigan job if Harbaugh left for the NFL.

It should. Devore was named interim coach for 1963 when Kuharich rushed to the NFL after some lackluster seasons at ND. The team under Devore went 2-7 and he was followed by Ara.
I thought that ScubaSteveFL said that no one names an interim HC for a year.

Does Notre Dame qualify as “no one” ?
👍

Luke Fickell was the interim Head coach at Ohio State for one year between Tressell and Meyer. He went 6-6

Reactions: NDinNJ
The Carolina Panthers would gladly part ways with Rhule and there's a good reason for that. In the Big 12, where defense is optional, he did pretty well. But not when he's up against real competition.

Last edited:
Reactions: BGI User 756
Does the name Hugh Devore ring a bell ?
And that was Devore's SECOND STINT. He also interim coached in 45 when Leahy was in the service, succeeding Ed McKeever who'd filled that role in 44.

Absolutely loved mark stoops. I’d be shocked if he said no back in Dec.
He probably said no because Jack locked up Rees as the OC. No legitimate head coach in his right mind is going to accept an offer with the condition that they can't bring in their own OC.

Should Swarbrick really be the one in charge of the next hire if there is one coming soon?

If there is a silver lining in this moving on from him may be it. He has 2 coaching hires this cycle and his judgment looks questionable with both as of now.

He probably said no because Jack locked up Rees as the OC. No legitimate head coach in his right mind is going to accept an offer with the condition that they can't bring in their own OC.
Tend to agree.

That was an unusual move.

He was very interested in the ND job.

Reactions: IrishBeer
Luke Fickell was the interim Head coach at Ohio State for one year between Tressell and Meyer. He went 6-6
6-6 would be an upgrade from what Freeman is trending. Also, who cares if he went "6-6" one time? He was thought of enough at that time to lead Ohio State (that's a big deal). He took Cincy to the playoffs and beat BK during ND's 11-1 season at home. I can nearly guarantee that if Fickell played Day last season, Fickell would have won. Some coaches age well. He nearly beat Georgia the year before making the playoffs. He has a resume and it's likely the most impressive of any "available" coach in the nation. Fickell is a more likable and probably more capable version of Brian Kelly. Marcus Freeman is a glorified deer in headlights millennial in over his head learning on the job. Clark Leah and Mike Elko had better resumes than Freeman and I doubt either were even considered. Nobody in their right mind thinks a Luke Fickell led Notre Dame loses to Marshall.

Last edited:
6-6 would be an upgrade from what Freeman is trending. Also, who cares if he went "6-6" one time. He was thought of enough at that time to lead Ohio State (that's a big deal). He took Cincy to the playoffs and beat BK during ND's 11-1 season at home. I can nearly guarantee that if Fickell played Day last season, Fickell would have won. Some coaches age well. He nearly beat Georgia the year before. He has a resume and it's likely the most impressive of any "available" coach in the nation. Clark Leah and Mike Elko had better resumes than Freeman and I doubt either were even considered.
good points. Doesn’t the MF hiring remind you of the situation in So. Cal with Helton? Loved by the players and in favor with the administration, SC never considered anyone else’s . Personally, I like MF, as a person, as far as we have learned of him. Character wise he is an upgrade over BK. Now, the issue is, can he coach.

good points. Doesn’t the MF hiring remind you of the situation in So. Cal with Helton? Loved by the players and in favor with the administration, SC never considered anyone else’s . Personally, I like MF, as a person, as far as we have learned of him. Character wise he is an upgrade over BK. Now, the issue is, can he coach.
Very similar to Helton. But also similar from a coaching standpoint to many many other coaches. Brady Hoke (despite it not being his first time), the list goes on and on. It's very rare to be an elite coach. Your percent chance drops substantially if it's your first gig. I could only name about 5-10 elite coaches. That leaves about 120-125 mediocre to poor coaches. The odds that MF was going to be elite was about 5/130 or about 3-4%.

He is effin' nothing like Clay Helton. Clay Helton is trash pretty much. MF is a teen idol, and a seemingly really neat, great guy. There is no comparison between the two.

The only comparison between them is that they both shouldn't have been hired, for specific reasons that have virtually no overlap.

6-6 would be an upgrade from what Freeman is trending. Also, who cares if he went "6-6" one time? He was thought of enough at that time to lead Ohio State (that's a big deal). He took Cincy to the playoffs and beat BK during ND's 11-1 season at home. I can nearly guarantee that if Fickell played Day last season, Fickell would have won. Some coaches age well. He nearly beat Georgia the year before making the playoffs. He has a resume and it's likely the most impressive of any "available" coach in the nation. Fickell is a more likable and probably more capable version of Brian Kelly. Marcus Freeman is a glorified deer in headlights millennial in over his head learning on the job. Clark Leah and Mike Elko had better resumes than Freeman and I doubt either were even considered. Nobody in their right mind thinks a Luke Fickell led Notre Dame loses to Marshall.
I couldn't agree more re Lea and Elko.

He is effin' nothing like Clay Helton. Clay Helton is trash pretty much. MF is a teen idol, and a seemingly really neat, great guy. There is no comparison between the two.

The only comparison between them is that they both shouldn't have been hired, for specific reasons that have virtually no overlap.
We aren't talking about age, gender, ethnicity. We are talking about the comparison of them not being qualified to lead the top echelon of P5 programs.

Reactions: 4-4-3
actually my reference was more in consideration of his hiring process.

Very similar to Helton. But also similar from a coaching standpoint to many many other coaches. Brady Hoke (despite it not being his first time), the list goes on and on. It's very rare to be an elite coach. Your percent chance drops substantially if it's your first gig. I could only name about 5-10 elite coaches. That leaves about 120-125 mediocre to poor coaches. The odds that MF was going to be elite was about 5/130 or about 3-4%.
MF is to a certain extent a media creation, and his uncertain destiny keeps the narrative going.

Thing is, he ticks ALL THE BOXES: ND, OSU, youthfulness, attractive presentation, bi-ethnic roots, military dad, player-friendly good guy, next-generation star, social justice symbol and potential SUPER-HERO.

After all, what is football for MANY but a chance to HERO-WORSHIP.

And if he fails, TRAGIC BEAUTIFUL LOSER.

GEE, WHAT WENT WRONG?

Which then TEES HIM UP for a REDEMPTION/COMEBACK TOUR and another round of MEDIA ATTENTION.

Whether he's all HAT and NO CATTLE or NOT, he's EXCELLENT COPY.

MF is to a certain extent a media creation, and his uncertain destiny keeps the narrative going.

Thing is, he ticks ALL THE BOXES: ND, OSU, youthfulness, attractive presentation, bi-ethnic roots, military dad, player-friendly good guy, next-generation star, social justice symbol and potential SUPER-HERO.

After all, what is football for MANY but a chance to HERO-WORSHIP.

And if he fails, TRAGIC BEAUTIFUL LOSER.

GEE, WHAT WENT WRONG?

Which then TEES HIM UP for a REDEMPTION/COMEBACK TOUR and another round of MEDIA ATTENTION.

Whether he's all HAT and NO CATTLE or NOT, he's EXCELLENT COPY.

3 games? he has a way to go to be considered a failure! come on man!!

Reactions: tbone3114
3 games? he has a way to go to be considered a failure! come on man!!
I'm not saying that a) he's failed ALREADY or even b) that he WILL FAIL, though there's a PLAUSIBLE case for b.

I'm saying IF he fails.

Hell, there are guys on these boards WHO THINK KELLY FAILED while at the same time, thinking Freeman would be an INSTANT UPGRADE. We already know THAT's not happening.

And how will those folks feel if Freeman matches Kelly's 2011 performance of starting 0-2 and finishing 8-5?

Success or failure?

As I see it, 8-5 and the Admin is DELIGHTED to give him another year.

Sounds like "your man," Helton.

I'm not saying that a) he's failed ALREADY or even b) that he WILL FAIL, though there's a PLAUSIBLE case for b.

I'm saying IF he fails.

Hell, there are guys on these boards WHO THINK KELLY FAILED while at the same time, thinking Freeman would be an INSTANT UPGRADE. We already know THAT's not happening.

And how will those folks feel if Freeman matches Kelly's 2011 performance of starting 0-2 and finishing 8-5?

Success or failure?

As I see it, 8-5 and the Admin is DELIGHTED to give him another year.

Sounds like "your man," Helton.
I consider MF an upgrade, but from the perspective of character. BK knows far more football than MF does, at this point of his career.

Actually that's not true, I believe our very own Luke Fickell, who presumably would be ND's coach right now if he had been available, although it's entirely possible that MF was the only guy ND ever considered....

In any case he pitched in as an interim coach after Tressel was suddenly fired in the off-season for all the various indiscretions that happened on his watch, when they suddenly came to light. And of course none of that shit's illegal anymore. So Tressel himself was a victim of the hated plantation system of forced amateurism that is finally behind us.

But that was more of a like an emergency situation, and BK leaving was just a typical coaching carousel type deal.....

I consider MF an upgrade, but from the perspective of character. BK knows far more football than MF does, at this point of his career.
I think you're right regarding football knowledge, and, frankly, who could argue otherwise.

But while Freeman appears to be a "nicer guy," I don't know either of them which prevents me from OPINING on their character. To do THAT would require PERSONAL INTERACTION.

For me, character isn't ALWAYS as it appears from a distance, NO INNUENDO INTENDED.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT