ADVERTISEMENT

Moorehead to Oregon / Monken to UGA ***Kelly is on the Clock***

IrishFforida

Irish Expert
Jan 7, 2018
The University of Oregon and the University of Georgia. Two teams that ended up ranked ahead of ND in the season end polls. Chose to hire experienced and seasoned OC's from outside the program.

Joe Moorehead - Oregon
Todd Monken - UGA

Brian Kelly and ND elected to promote a 27 year old coach with 3 years of FT coaching experience from within?

This is Brian Kelly pushing all his chips into the middle of the table. And 2 scenarios happen

1. If the Rees thing works out like Joe Brady at LSU, Brian Kelly is a hero and ND will contend for a National Title

2. If Rees falls flat and the offense continues to lay eggs vs Power 5 teams with quality defenses.

Brian Kelly in year 11 should be labeled as the guy who rebuilt ND, put ND in a position to be a contender, can win 10-11 games a year. But cannot finish the job and win a National Title.

I hope Brian Kelly & Tommy Rees have a good hand

The University of Oregon and the University of Georgia. Two teams that ended up ranked ahead of ND in the season end polls. Chose to hire experienced and seasoned OC's from outside the program.

Joe Moorehead - Oregon
Todd Monken - UGA

Brian Kelly and ND elected to promote a 27 year old coach with 3 years of FT coaching experience from within?

This is Brian Kelly pushing all his chips into the middle of the table. And 2 scenarios happen

1. If the Rees thing works out like Joe Brady at LSU, Brian Kelly is a hero and ND will contend for a National Title

2. If Rees falls flat and the offense continues to lay eggs vs Power 5 teams with quality defenses.

Brian Kelly in year 11 should be labeled as the guy who rebuilt ND, put ND in a position to be a contender, can win 10-11 games a year. But cannot finish the job and win a National Title.

Yawn

Did ND recruit a bunch of top 5 classes over the last 3 years that nobody knows about ?

I like how we are already setting up Rees as the scapegoat when a poorly recruited offense over the last ~4 years or so (2020 class being the lone exception) doesn't perform to the level that makes Notre Dame a national championship contender.

ND needs way more than an offensive coordinator to become a legit national title contending program. ND needs an institutional revolution at this point from the President all the way on down to the head coach.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Did ND recruit a bunch of top 5 classes over the last 3 years that nobody knows about ?

I like how we are already setting up Rees as the scapegoat when a poorly recruited offense over the last ~4 years or so (2020 class being the lone exception) doesn't perform to the level that makes Notre Dame a national championship contender.

ND needs way more than an offensive coordinator to become a legit national title contending program. ND needs an institutional revolution at this point from the President all the way on down to the head coach.

I agree with you in part, but at the same time coaching has a lot to do with this as well. A perfect example is Clemson. Until recently, last year or two, their recruiting rankings were similar to ND, yet they were able to beat the elite teams at the time and win a couple of NC. This allowed them to attract the 5 star recruits and in turn move up in the recruiting rankings.

I agree with you in part, but at the same time coaching has a lot to do with this as well. A perfect example is Clemson. Until recently, last year or two, their recruiting rankings were similar to ND, yet they were able to beat the elite teams at the time and win a couple of NC. This allowed them to attract the 5 star recruits and in turn move up in the recruiting rankings.

Good point(s) but let me put some facts on this and paint the picture more clearly.

Clemson's first National Championship came in 2016. So if we look back from 2012 to 2016 that would show the talent level on that team. From 2012 to 2016 Clemson had 2 years of top 6 classes, 2015 and 2016. The rest of those years they hovered around 13-19. So to @NDinNJ 's point, it took coaching to get them where they were. They did have elite talent sprinkled in but it was not loaded top to bottom. If my math is correct they had 8 first round picks that played on the 2016 team, again they were elite, maybe not loaded but they were elite.

Point is, NDinNJ has a great point and here are FACTS to back him up. Yes you need elite talent to win, yes you need to get the QB right, but you need a mix of coaching as well.

I think BK can do it, that is just me though.

Clemson is the gold standard for CFB right now but would love to play their schedule on a year in and year out basis.

There are 10 wins on it every year when training camp begins.

Reactions: DublinND

Joe Moorehead - Oregon
Todd Monken - UGA

"***Kelly is on the Clock***"

Whose clock is he on? Surely not the administrations (unless the wheels totally come off the wagon -- and there are no signs of that). Just because you are pissed that Kelly did not make a "splash" OC hire, leave your rants in your head or at the local bar.

I am sure that Kelly has forgotten more football than you may ever accumulate in your lifetime --

Kelly is not on the clock. In fact there was an article written today about him preparing to sign an extension. Buckle up.

Reactions: Pennick4

I'm not sure how you can let the coach off the hook. Yet again the excuses come in play. Chase, you usually don't make too many excuses for Brian Kelly but you make it a point things must change from the president down.

Can Brian Kelly get better athletes as a whole? You better believe it. There are extremely smart athletic kids in the country. They do exist.
The excusers of the board will tell us that ND gets the only 15 smart kids in the entire country every year and Stanford only ever gets no star kids. Matter of fact they're suiting up their intramural participants.
Come on. If BK did a better job getting the best talent that can actually attend our team automatically gets better. Yes...there us definitely room for improvement.

After that and honestly the most important part is coaching. Does Brian Kelly put the recruits he does get in the best possible position to succeed? Adjustments, scheme, preparation and so on....none of which BK is even remotely adequate with. A healthy arrogance? Nope. Getting the elite athletes involved early on? No! Why not? Well, you know...

NO...we DON'T know. Every other school has no problem getting their best material involved immediately. Not here. Nope. No way. Our players are only book smart. Our offensive schemes are so complex and cutting edge nobody can grasp it. It's such a state of the art offense they'll hurt the team more than help if we play them too early.

I find it absolutely comical using the excuse of only getting the smart athlete, the "shopping from a different aisle" mantra yet these highly intelligent kids we get can't even nail down simple responsibilities like pass protection. Getting the cadence without false starting? No.

Mental mistakes by a team claiming it can only take the best intelligence of athletes.
Dare we say coaching? Hhhmmmm

How about ignoring the inclement weather in Ann Arbor that was no secret all week leading to that game? Brian Kelly, how much wet weather practice have you got in this year? (Looking at the sideline reporter as if they're crazy)
the BK response: NONE!!!
That right there is utterly ridiculous!!!!
Absurd is more like it.

Good coaches cover everything just in case. No surprises.
A surprised player is tentative. A surprised player is slow. Eliminate the element of surprise. Cover everything. Just in case.

Practicing receiving an onside kick....thoroughly or run on the field so you can try and help field the kick too.

This stuff is such a joke. Do you remember that USC debacle of the onside return situation? Players not knowing where to lineup, Kelly freaking out in typical Kelly fashion because...ya know...his players are surprised. Confused. I'd be willing to bet they don't even know the rules of an onside kick. Whatever they haven't retained from their high school and pee wee coaches of course.

Until this team gets a real bonafide good coach and we see he's doing everything possible to succeed...I won't even discuss the personnel/administration excuses.

As is now it's amateur night against good competition and fooling y'all that he's gold.

He's just simply fools gold and far too many are buying this garbage yet paying with wooden nickels.

Even if ND has brought in one of those other guys BK would not have listened to them. BK wanted someone else to execute his orders, not still their own system.

Last edited:
Reactions: 88ND
Dabo runs rings around BK

Reactions: NDinNJ and 88ND
Clemson is the gold standard for CFB right now but would love to play their schedule on a year in and year out basis.

There are 10 wins on it every year when training camp begins.
Difference is they have won a NC. While they did have a sorry a$$ schedule they did beat OSU. Something BK has not and would not have done this year.

Reactions: 88ND
I'm not sure how you can let the coach off the hook. Yet again the excuses come in play. Chase, you usually don't make too many excuses for Brian Kelly but you make it a point things must change from the president down.

Can Brian Kelly get better athletes as a whole? You better believe it. There are extremely smart athletic kids in the country. They do exist.
The excusers of the board will tell us that ND gets the only 15 smart kids in the entire country every year and Stanford only ever gets no star kids. Matter of fact they're suiting up their intramural participants.
Come on. If BK did a better job getting the best talent that can actually attend our team automatically gets better. Yes...there us definitely room for improvement.

After that and honestly the most important part is coaching. Does Brian Kelly put the recruits he does get in the best possible position to succeed? Adjustments, scheme, preparation and so on....none of which BK is even remotely adequate with. A healthy arrogance? Nope. Getting the elite athletes involved early on? No! Why not? Well, you know...

NO...we DON'T know. Every other school has no problem getting their best material involved immediately. Not here. Nope. No way. Our players are only book smart. Our offensive schemes are so complex and cutting edge nobody can grasp it. It's such a state of the art offense they'll hurt the team more than help if we play them too early.

I find it absolutely comical using the excuse of only getting the smart athlete, the "shopping from a different aisle" mantra yet these highly intelligent kids we get can't even nail down simple responsibilities like pass protection. Getting the cadence without false starting? No.

Mental mistakes by a team claiming it can only take the best intelligence of athletes.
Dare we say coaching? Hhhmmmm

How about ignoring the inclement weather in Ann Arbor that was no secret all week leading to that game? Brian Kelly, how much wet weather practice have you got in this year? (Looking at the sideline reporter as if they're crazy)
the BK response: NONE!!!
That right there is utterly ridiculous!!!!
Absurd is more like it.

Good coaches cover everything just in case. No surprises.
A surprised player is tentative. A surprised player is slow. Eliminate the element of surprise. Cover everything. Just in case.

Practicing receiving an onside kick....thoroughly or run on the field so you can try and help field the kick too.

This stuff is such a joke. Do you remember that USC debacle of the onside return situation? Players not knowing where to lineup, Kelly freaking out in typical Kelly fashion because...ya know...his players are surprised. Confused. I'd be willing to bet they don't even know the rules of an onside kick. Whatever they haven't retained from their high school and pee wee coaches of course.

Until this team gets a real bonafide good coach and we see he's doing everything possible to succeed...I won't even discuss the personnel/administration excuses.

As is now it's amateur night against good competition and fooling y'all that he's gold.

He's just simply fools gold and far too many are buying this garbage yet paying with wooden nickels.
Man 88 this is a great post and so true.

Reactions: rgc7 and NDinNJ
That is a really good hire for Georgia! Like LSU, Ga with all of that talent, really needed to update their offense. (I believe ND will have to do that too. Is Tommy the guy? Time will tell...)

how did Clemson get so good without top 5 recruiting classes

Reactions: Kelso86
They recruited way more 5 stars, they develop lower ranked kids way better, and dabo is arguably the best coach in the country.

It’s true they could be better at developing players and have a better scheme. But Notre dame was actually higher than Clemson in the composite rankings in 2015 (when Clemson didn’t win but certainly could’ve) but Clemson had 1 more 5 star. In 2016 Clemson won it all and had 4 more 5 stArs but ND had 15 more 4 four stars. Obviously clemson is loaded with 5 stars in the present day.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT