ADVERTISEMENT

Michael Mayer

The freaking coddling bullshit continues right on...

If we were in the playoff like in 2018 y'all would say what? Ge should play?
We had absolutely zero chance to win a playoff game that year. None whatsoever!

You finish out the year you committed to playing.

Wrestling, tennis, fencing and the shooting team are all team but individually based sports.

Football is a team game. Has any teammate helped Mayer become what he is today?
Would his presence help either of the two tackles in the running game blocking?
I bet they have pro aspirations too...

If you comitted to playing a season then stay until the damn job's done.
👍. 100 % correct !

Reactions: tbone3114
"I don’t know why universities don’t take up insurance to protect kids if they want them to play"

Most universities do have some type of insurance for these kids
Those with a good chance of going to the NFL get that insurance through Lloyds of London

Isn't that up to him to decide?
"Isn't that up to him to decide?"

It ABSOLUTELY is his decision. And he is the one who will make it (and his his family) --

Since I (and many people on here) will never be in his position, it is easy to sit back and say he should/should not go. I would have to believe he is weighing all options, benefits and pros-cons for playing vs not playing. Most of these guys want to play with their brothers that they have sweated with in camp, the hard times during a season, and the triumphs. At the end of the day, they also have a major business decision as well to make.

Last edited:
I saw where Ohio State receiver Jackson Smith-Njigba is sitting out the CFP to focus on the NFL draft. Now we have players sitting out the playoffs.
" saw where Ohio State receiver Jackson Smith-Njigba is sitting out the CFP to focus on the NFL draft. Now we have players sitting out the playoffs"

He has been hurt all year since the ND game. He has tried a few times to go in various games, and has been pulled. Just recently, the doctors would not clear him for the playoff game -- thus, that is why he has declared.

And add Isaiah Foskey and Jarrett Patterson as well.

Go prepare for the NFL Draft, and protect your future earnings.
LOL..
And don't help your brother who absolutely helped you in your career ...
Right?

Me me me me
Gimme that it's mine.
I only care about me..nothing to see here...piss on my teammates...piss on the team...
This game doesn't mean anything to me and no way I'm helping anyone else out.
Nope...
No way

Me me me

Me myself and I is the new cool...

WTFE

"Isn't that up to him to decide?"

It ABSOLUTELY is his decision. And he is the one who will make it (and his his family) --

Since I (and many people on here) will never be in his position, it is easy to sit back and say he should/should not go. I would have to believe he is weighing all options, benefits and pros-cons for playing vs not playing. Most of these guys want to play with their brothers that they have sweated with in camp, the hard times during a season, and the triumphs. At the end of the day, they also have a major business decision as well to make.
A business decision that was aided by their brothers in some way shape or form.

Hell why not give Brian Kelly and Tommy Rees their cut while he's at it since they promote the TE so much...

Finish the damn season out!!

LOL..
Right?

Me me me me
Gimme that it's mine.
I only care about me..nothing to see here...piss on my teammates...piss on the team...
Nope...
No way

Me me me

WTFE
Me myself and I... Pretty much dead on. The biggest me guy in college football is about to win the Heisman. But the adults have created this. Their greed and desire for $. I am not a fan of where all this is now. But I do believe the portal should exist under different circumstances, and that NIL should as well. Under different circumstances. Not a big fan of opt outs but in the case of a guy like Njigba? he was hurt most of the year so I think he has good reason.

It's funny people use the term Capitalism when we discuss all this. Yet they forget in every other profession there are labor rules. EVEN the NFL.

No reason to play lots of games after 3 losses. Maybe wrong, but did not seem like Hamilton was in any rush to come back.

It comes down to what you want. There are 1000 people who play through including the bowl and 1 Jaylon.

I don’t know why universities don’t take up insurance to protect kids if they want them to play.

Would be easy for an actuary to put a cost/payout.

Mayer would be 20M. Foskey 10M

Probably cost ND 100k for the entire team
It has been done before

LOL..
Right?

Me me me me
Gimme that it's mine.
Nope...
No way

Me me me

WTFE
Tell that to Jaylon Smith.

See I go the other way-------if I was hurt all season I would be frothing at the mouth to play.
Me myself and I... Pretty much dead on. The biggest me guy in college football is about to win the Heisman. But the adults have created this. Their greed and desire for $. I am not a fan of where all this is now. But I do believe the portal should exist under different circumstances, and that NIL should as well. Under different circumstances. Not a big fan of opt outs but in the case of a guy like Njigba? he was hurt most of the year so I think he has good reason.

Well unfortunately we're the black sheep now.

I coached a long time and I seen a change in the parents about a dozen years ago...and it wasn't good.

Us, we and our got 86'd for me myself and I

If their child does wrong ...no way it was their kid. Absolutely positively no way. If a teacher shows them and they don't like it they just go over their head to the principal. Don't like his or her answer...go to the
Superintendennt.
Don't like that? School board.

Meanwhile they don't need to tell Johnny or Sally they do no wrong...they pick up on that tone thus making a person who does no wrong

Absurd times

new rule: if you faeil to live up to the contract, that is you fail to complete / compete for your full season or any part of your eligible seasons, for any reason other than injury, then your contract for that season / academic year is voided and the university is entitled to full reimbursement of all associated cost related on your behalf, including tuition, fees, housing, training cost, medical cost, etc., for that season/academic year.
Good luck with that. According to the schedule Mayer has fulfilled his obligation. The bowl game was never on the schedule. Another proposal that would die a quick death in court. Do you work for the NCAA ? The more responsible thing would be to compensate the players for participating in games that were not on the original schedule.

Last edited:

I coached a long time and I seen a change in the parents about a dozen years ago...and it wasn't good.

If their child does wrong ...no way it was their kid. Absolutely positively no way. If a teacher shows them and they don't like it they just go over their head to the principal. Don't like his or her answer...go to the
Superintendennt.

Meanwhile they don't need to tell Johnny or Sally they do no wrong...they pick up on that tone thus making a person who does no wrong

Absurd times
Gross overstatement. I ve been in education and working with kids my entire professional career. Sure there are some parents like that. They are absolutely a tiny minority in my experiences.

Superintendennt.

Absurd times
Way overstated. Garbage post.

Reactions: Kelso86
Tell that to Jaylon Smith.

Enjoy the NFL, Michael Mayer.

And once again. Thank You.
Booster NIL deals should stipulate playing in bowl game if medically cleared. Would be nice but probably unlikely

"I coached a long time and I seen a change in the parents about a dozen years ago...and it wasn't good. "

One of the main reason I got out. And every time I get the itch, things happen or I hear stories, and I say "Nah I'm good"

Last edited:
Good luck with that. According to the schedule Mayer has fulfilled his obligation. The bowl game was never on the schedule. Another proposal that would die a quick death in court. Do you work for the NCAA ?
no, i make this sh#t up as I go along, with inspiration from the posters!

Gross overstatement. I ve been in education and working with kids my entire professional career. Sure there are some parents like that. They are absolutely a tiny minority in my experiences.
Well now...sorry but i completely beg to differ.
While others in my family didn't coach after playing I've 6 immediate family members who taught from elementary to college and in between.
Moreover coaching is always teaching in it's own right, etc..

The point being is that of the kids who get in trouble the parent I described has absolutely positively increased by leaps and bounds.

Not every parent(s) is like that nor did I say as much but there is a large amount who absolutely are exactly like that.

Moreover I make a generalized statement using trouble in school as an example but the same applies to everyday life...and sport. Especially sport.

There's far too many parents now who "sort of care" what the team does but if their son got 25 carries and 3 touchdowns then that supersedes all else.

I'm sorry but this seIfish tone from the top(parents) down(their kids) is far more rampant that you imply.

Reactions: NDblitz
Bowl games are essentially the first game of the following season.
I've been hearing this kind of rhetoric a lot lately and it makes no sense. Minus potential first/2nd round draft prospects and the 5-10% roster change among P5 programs (via the transfer portal (mostly from role players & scout team players)) you still got the large majority of your roster and 2 deep from the current season in tact. The bowl season is college football's version of a post-season and even more so now that the playoffs have been expanded.

When a 6-star player chooses to play in a game that risks his NFL draft stock, we should look at it as the privilege that it is, and not some kind of expectation, but that's just my opinion. By the time a player has turned into a good enough prospect that he doesn't want to risk his NFL future in a final game, he's already turned a massive profit for the university off his previous however many games.

As fans we should celebrate it and praise those guys and send them off with appreciation and respect for what they've done for the program whether they choose to play in post-season games or not. Instead they get booed and shat on online by the fans lol blows my mind.

Last edited:
Hamilton set a new precedent by sitting out half the season.
I think Hamilton may have been hurt a little worse than they initially let on, but I don't think he took any unnecessary risk to get back, either.

I think Hamilton may have been hurt a little worse than they initially let on, but I don't think he took any unnecessary risk to get back, either.
Did not need to. The team did not lose a regular season game without Kyle Hamilton, and he had 16.3 guaranteed million reasons to not play in the bowl game.

By the time a player has turned into a good enough prospect that he doesn't want to risk his NFL future in a final game, he's already turned a massive profit for the university off his previous however many games.
How about the school return the same favor then...

When the student athlete hasn't really panned out we QUIT teaching them.
They're not bringing in a...how'd you put it...a massive profit so why keep teaching them?

Since this is only about dollars according to you it makes no sense to keep trading an education to those 4/5 year players who contribute minimally or nothing at all.

Moreover the student athlete...even the good ones.. have enough education to do pretty good in life we'll just stop teaching them too.
Since you bring up the dollars and cents why waste anymore teacher time on a student athlete who has enough education to get through life they don't need that pesky degree, right? The faculty should just quit on them too.

Leaving as a junior was never ideal but at least they finished the commitment of an entire season. Come back at a later date if they so choose and get that degree...fine...

Quitting on their team, coaches and school is as ridiculous as the university to just up and stop teaching them no longer giving them credit right before their degree because they don't really need to finish school, right?
As fans we should celebrate it and praise those guys and send them off with appreciation and respect for what they've done for the program whether they choose to play in post-season games or not. Instead they get booed and shat on online by the fans lol blows my mind.
Well shit sheriff...how about this little fact that might not blow your mind...

The fans....as fans...the fans, are the very ones who are giving that university all that money you claim just one sheer individual has made the university.
They're the paying customers at the gate and concession stands or as a viewer at home on the Telly.

Without the fan no $$$ exist for that university to have made.. all from that one individual mind you....

That the paying fan can say whatever they'd like.

MM is crazy to play! Foskey is crazy if he plays! Pyne is crazy if he plays! Any draft hopefull is crazy if they play in what is essentially an exhibition game., Furthermore once on an NFL roster once their team is eliminated from contention they are crazy if they play another down! No.1 that’s where it’s at baby! No.1

If I was advising Mayer on what to do, Id tell him to sit out and get ready for the draft

He has given his all to the team. If I was a teammate, I wouldn't be upset at all with him.
Guarantee no teammate would be . They understand his reasoning more than anyone.

Bunch if small minded selfish old men playing hot and fast with other people's future and money in here. Why should I be surprised, actually I'm not in the least.

LOL..
Right?

Me me me me
Gimme that it's mine.
Nope...
No way

Me me me

WTFE
👍

Bunch if small minded selfish old men playing hot and fast with other people's future and money in here. Why should I be surprised, actually I'm not in the least.
I see it as a “generational“ issue.

The “me”, “entitlement” and “participation trophy” generation.

I think of Tom Brokaw’s book, “The Greatest Generation”, a generation that saw 18 year olds storming the beaches at Normandy and Iwo Jima in the face of murderous machine gun, mortar and artillery fire, versus the participation generation where guys need safe zones and cry if someone loses an election.

The “Band of Brothers” along with the concept of living up to your commitments and obligations seems to have fallen by the wayside.

I understand the risk factors, but you can mitigate that risk with insurance !

Reactions: cancandodo and 88ND
imagine a combat situation, and you have a platoon of ‘short timer’ (those with 3-6 months of service left), refusing to enter a battle. I think as generations go, this generation is there!

1 word
Dumb

Three words
It's called life.

You can't live in fear.

Finish your comittment
Commitment to what? So fans, most of whom having zero ties to ND, never having stepped foot on campus, can root for him? His teammates? I’m sure they all would do the same. If anything, this gIves the young players a chance, the ones who will continue on with ND.

“You can’t live in fear.”

Easy for you to say or anyone else who’s not on the cusp of life-altering generational wealth to say. Additonally, Mayer can actually be an impact player on a winning team in the NFL and leave a long lasting legacy in the league, maybe even a hall of fame one. Yes, he can do so whether he plays this gsme or not, but even the possibility of tearing an ACL in a game that doesn’t mean much when we can have younger players play anyway is something that shouldn’t be risked.

Reactions: Kelso86 and sjb75
Commitment to what? So fans, most of whom having zero ties to ND, never having stepped foot on campus, can root for him? His teammates? I’m sure they all would do the same. If anything, this gIves the young players a chance, the ones who will continue on with ND.

“You can’t live in fear.”

Easy for you to say or anyone else who’s not on the cusp of life-altering generational wealth to say. Additonally, Mayer can actually be an impact player on a winning team in the NFL and leave a long lasting legacy in the league, maybe even a hall of fame one. Yes, he can do so whether he plays this gsme or not, but even the possibility of tearing an ACL in a game that doesn’t mean much when we can have younger players play anyway is something that shouldn’t be risked.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT