ADVERTISEMENT

Natty Championship game Washington VS Michigan

Washington overachieved. So it was quite a surprise they came out as dog shit tonight
Not really a surprise because they WERE overachieving based on superb QB + WR play that’s not as easily replicable as dominant line play that UMich relied on all season. There’s a reason they couldn‘t dominate teams and kept on winning one possession games; it’s admirable that they’re mentally tough enough to not crack, but the Huskies were outmatched.

Great post. The rear view mirror always being 20/20. Who wouldn't sign up today to see Georgia vs Michigan instead of Washington. UM caught a big break from the committee
Huge break and all part of the perfect storm for UM, but also have to give the Wolverines credit for running roughshod over their competition all season as only only two games were ever in really in doubt after the first five minutes of the second quarter, i.e., vs. OSU and Alabama. UM had dominant line play on both sides of the ball all season and controlled its games from start to finish, something you can only do if your have dominant line play.

I don’t think in any other iteration of the CFP that two of the four most statistically dominant teams and ones oddsmakers most favored during games, i.e., Georgia and Oregon, didn’t make it to the CFP. Obviously there’s valid reasons why neither team did, but UM got lucky in how events transpired that kept those teams out. Then it also caught Alabama in a season with a QB issue, a team that played way over its head against UGa and then had opportunities vs. UM even though UM made uncharacteristic mistakes that gave Alabama a chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelso86
Michigan's #1-rated defense got the job done. Congrats to them (not that I'm happy about it). Will be interesting to see if Harbaugh heads back to the NFL now. There are rumors about that.

They really are. They have a lot of mentally tough players to be able to win one possession game week after week after week, but if they played the University of Michigan 10 times I doubt they win more than two or three times—Michigan is just far superior. The only team this year that really could’ve beaten Michigan soundly is probably Georgia. I think Oregon matches up with them better than Washington does as well.
Well if Brock Bowers were still injured I'm not sure Ga. wins let alone soundly.
Him being hobbled was the reason Alabama won

Huge break and all part of the perfect storm for UM, but also have to give the Wolverines credit for running roughshod over their competition all season as only only two games were ever in really in doubt after the first five minutes of the second quarter, i.e., vs. OSU and Alabama. UM had dominant line play on both sides of the ball all season and controlled its games from start to finish, something you can only do if your have dominant line play.

I don’t think in any other iteration of the CFP that two of the four most statistically dominant teams and ones oddsmakers most favored during games, i.e., Georgia and Oregon, didn’t make it to the CFP. Obviously there’s valid reasons why neither team did, but UM got lucky in how events transpired that kept those teams out. Then it also caught Alabama in a season with a QB issue, a team that played way over its head against UGa and then had opportunities vs. UM even though UM made uncharacteristic mistakes that gave Alabama a chance.
Notre Dame could do exactly what Michigan done, but not with a portal QB
JJ McCarthy was the reason for their success.
The Michigan running backscare outstanding but only one player had the ball every snap on offense and that is McCarthy

Reactions: notredamerises23
Refs missed alot of holding penalties
Michigan beat every team on their schedule and then they beat every team the committee scheduled for them in the playoffs.

Would all of you sore losers and losers stop making excuses and stop your mental masturbation by creating ridiculous hypocritical/hypothetical scenarios

CONGRATULATE MICHIGAN ON A GREAT SEASON AND FOR BEING UNDEFEATED AND WINNING THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP !

Reactions: chaseball and 4-4-3
Michigan's #1-rated defense got the job done. Congrats to them (not that I'm happy about it). Will be interesting to see if Harbaugh heads back to the NFL now. There are rumors about that.
👍

Michigan beat every team on their schedule and then they beat every team the committee scheduled for them in the playoffs.

Would all of you sore losers and losers stop making excuses and stop your mental masturbation by creating ridiculous hypocritical/hypothetical scenarios

CONGRATULATE MICHIGAN ON A GREAT SEASON AND FOR BEING UNDEFEATED AND WINNING THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP !
Not a sore loser.....I was pulling for Michigan, but I'm also not blind

The Michigan running backscare outstanding but only one player had the ball every snap on offense and that is McCarthy
We actually had a similar team to Michigan - excellent defense, strong running game. The difference was we tripped up a few times and they didn't. And they were better on turnovers. They led the nation in turnover margin. And you're right, McCarthy's probably better than Hartman. He's a lot more mobile.

Reactions: ivan brunetti
This one hurts because the belief has always been ND doesn’t have the horses aka recruit well enough. UM just won with “less talent” when star gazing. I’ve always said ND will need the perfect storm of a stud QB, a Manti-esque guy on D, senior leadership and the right things to play out around the country. UM caught that storm.
That's the difference between a great coach and a good coach. Harbaugh is a great coach, BK s a good coach. Freeman, too early to know.

I'm not convinced MI did anything egregiously wrong. They just happened to get caught. Much like USC for Reggie Bush getting some payouts...whereas the SEC routinely did this, like that $250k payout that got dismissed.

Cheating also doesn't occur when you eliminate standards. Like easy degrees anybody can pass, requiring no cheating. The NCAA is a dirty as they come, so no, I won't hang MI nor USC for what they did...as others seem to do far worse and get away with it.

I mean, the CFP committee just shoehorned Alabama into this over FSU. So coaches at practices or some play stealing by some coaches is much worse?
Systematically engaging in advanced scouting and recording all of this with video/audio equipment is no big deal? According to the rule books, that is two blatant violations. The rules exist for a reason as it's a huge competitive advantage (which is probably why they did it!). What would it take to scandalize you? Would Harbaugh need to bug the opponents' locker rooms every gameday too?

Let's look it at this way: ND was forced to forfeit every victory in 2012-13. That means if they had won the title game against Alabama, the trophy would have been stripped. And for what exactly? Improper tutoring! If Michigan gets a lesser penalty, you'd have to convince me their actions were less severe and more forgivable. And don't forget about the recruiting violation which has become a mere footnote.

So to me, it's simple: UM has shown ZERO interest in complying by the rules and exhibiting basic sportsmanship, so should be given the sternest punishment possible that sets them back much further than when they began all of this illicit activity. Also, since they are chronic cheaters, it's a safe bet they are cheating in ways not yet discovered. It's hard to understand how their pompous "we're special so the rules don't apply" attitude doesn't bother you.

Nice to see a Northern school that plays great defense in combination with a jarring running game can win the whole thing. Thats what Freeman is trying to build at ND. Top 20 finish last season, Top 15 finish this season.

It took Harbaugh 7 seasons to get by OSU and make the CFP. It took 9 seasons to win it all. Freeman is well on track to winning a Natty.

I'm not surprised. Mich looked the part all season. big O line and good backs, plus a very good defense. Championship type team.

I don't hate Michigan really, in fact, I really REALLY miss our yearly rivalry game in September against them. For me, that was my favorite rivalry by a long shot.

I dislike Harbaugh... a lot.

It definitely takes a bit of a perfect storm and a lot of luck no matter how good your team is in order to win a national title. BUT Michigan won this national title because 10 years ago they gave Harbaugh a record breaking contract (at the time) and pulled him away from the the NFL.

Who is NDs Harbaugh out there, and how much is ND willing to outspend the market to retain him?
Not many schools are willing to wait 9 years either…

Bottom line. It was refreshing to have two different teams in the final. However, Michigan and probably UW are one offs. They were both very old teams and neither school recruits elite players. One thing both did; they developed them into great players. Harbaugh will be gone. Not sure anyone else but him can do what needed to be done for them to get to the top of the mountain again. And it took him 10 years at Michigan.

Reactions: bizzybecknd
Bottom line. It was refreshing to have two different teams in the final. However, Michigan and probably UW are one offs. They were both very old teams and neither school recruits elite players. One thing both did; they developed them into great players. Harbaugh will be gone. Not sure anyone else but him can do what needed to be done for them to get to the top of the mountain again. And it took him 10 years at Michigan.

I'm not sure about this. With NIL and transfers, talent might become more distributed. Alabama and Ohio State won't so easily have 3 deep QBs when they can get $$$ and playing time elsewhere. This is going to play out in a big way next few years...meaning schools like MI and even ND are stronger relative to the top teams.

Plus culture matters. MI won. Recruits see it and come. Especially if you have an NFL pedigree coach. Maybe MI sustains elite players...as their defense sure looked elite to me, which is the hardest in my book to recruit for some reason, probably around academic qualifications.

If by some chance Harbaugh stays, well, you may have another Wolverine title. Let's see, this isn't so clear cut.

Reactions: bizzybecknd
Nice to see a Northern school that plays great defense in combination with a jarring running game can win the whole thing. Thats what Freeman is trying to build at ND. Top 20 finish last season, Top 15 finish this season.

It took Harbaugh 7 seasons to get by OSU and make the CFP. It took 9 seasons to win it all. Freeman is well on track to winning a Natty.
Comparing Freeman to Harbaugh is pure mental masturbation !

But we all wish Freeman great success in the years ahead

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Wont happen

Kelly doesn't seem to be a very loveable guy. But neither does Saban, and he is the GOAT. There is a reason LSU has managed to win 3 NCs with 3 different coaches. And that difference is where the school is located in relation to high school talent.

Reactions: BGI User 756
Kelly doesn't seem to be a very loveable guy. But neither does Saban, and he is the GOAT. There is a reason LSU has managed to win 3 NCs with 3 different coaches. And that difference is where the school is located in relation to high school talent.
HUGE difference between Saban and BK. The cajuns won't put up with 9-10 win seasons long. BK has proven over and over again that he isn't going to be winning any NC.

HUGE difference between Saban and BK. The cajuns won't put up with 9-10 win seasons long. BK has proven over and over again that he isn't going to be winning any NC.

Oh, no doubt. I don't think BK is going to winning at the Saban rate or anything. Just that he seems like an all business type of guy, and not someone that his players love, like Holtz or Harbaugh.

Not one of his players cheated, so get over it !

They beat Alabama and Washington on the field where it counts

Congratulate them for a great season capped by a National Championship
The best team in CFB won, NO QUESTION.

They had ZERO weakesses from COACHING to SPECIAL TEAMS. Very reminicent of ND's 88 NC team, whereas Washington -- as someone on one of these boards pointed out -- was more like ND's 2012 team which, though good, scrapped its way into the BCS title game, only to be EXPOSED.

As for the playoffs themselves, I saw the four best teams as UM, Georgia, Alabama and OSU. The two REAL SEMI-FINAL GAMES were between UM and OSU in the regular season and Alabama and Georgia in the SEC championship game.

The actual NATIONAL TITLE GAME was between UM and BAMA as the winner of that game was in all likelihood going to win it ALL which UM, the winner of that game, DID. And I believe Alabama would have prevalied against Washington as well.

As for Washington, not only OSU and Bama played UM tougher, but so, too, did Maryland and PSU. I think these former PAC-10 teams that have joined the BIG 10 will now be living in INTERESTING TIMES.

Reactions: banmate6
We could do it next year but with a 12 team playoff, there’s zero chance of any luck of avoiding anybody for the most part. Georgia and Alabama are both going to be better next year though I’m not sure what Alabama ceiling is with Milroe who is just not that good of a quarterback but but for sure will be better than he was this year.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Well if Brock Bowers were still injured I'm not sure Ga. wins let alone soundly.
Him being hobbled was the reason Alabama won
Maybe it was — Alabama just played way over its head and played a great game in Georgia didn’t. That’s the beauty of football that a team that’s better has to be better on the day and that we’re not going to play best of 10 in which case it’s highly, highly unlikely, Alabama wins more than two or three.

To win a title you just have to have a lot of breaks go your way.

Your posting style on a variety of subjects proves a lot of ignorance as well.

Maybe it was — Alabama just played way over its head and played a great game in Georgia didn’t. That’s the beauty of football that a team that’s better has to be better on the day and that we’re not going to play best of 10 in which case it’s highly, highly unlikely, Alabama wins more than two or three.

To win a title you just have to have a lot of breaks go your way.
Any Given Saturday

Reactions: ivan brunetti
Refs missed alot of holding

The best team in CFB won, NO QUESTION.

They had ZERO weakesses from COACHING to SPECIAL TEAMS. Very reminicent of ND's 88 NC team, whereas Washington -- as someone on one of these boards pointed out -- was more like ND's 2012 team which, though good, scrapped its way into the BCS title game, only to be EXPOSED.

As for the playoffs themselves, I saw the four best teams as UM, Georgia, Alabama and OSU. The two REAL SEMI-FINAL GAMES were between UM and OSU in the regular season and Alabama and Georgia in the SEC championship game.

The actual NATIONAL TITLE GAME was between UM and BAMA as the winner of that game was in all likelihood going to win it ALL which UM, the winner of that game, DID. And I believe Alabama would have prevalied against Washington as well.

As for Washington, not only OSU and Bama played UM tougher, but so, too, did Maryland and PSU. I think these former PAC-10 teams that have joined the BIG 10 will now be living in INTERESTING TIMES.

Agree with most of this. I loved watching Washington and Oregon‘s two games, and the Washington victory over Texas. They absolutely deserved to be in the playoffs, but Michigan was the better team in almost every facet. Thought the game was actually boring, and I never FELT that the game was in question, even when Washington only trailed by one score. The amount of DB holding the officials allowed throughout the game kind of eliminated Washington’s punchers chance to knock Michigan out. I think a Michigan vs Georgia matchup would have been the two best teams playing, but there’s no denying Michigan looked and played the part of National Champion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT