ADVERTISEMENT

Marijuana trouble

So, again, who are the sources behind this story that can confirm 100% that this is all happening. I can't find anything on the subject online. Eric Hansen hasn't muttered a single syllable about it on his radio show. Will one of these sources confirm in public? The only source, so far, is trusted mods have been told this. And now "we've" been told Denson has received a verbal spanking. Says who? Who can confirm a four game suspension? Name names. Cite sources. "Mods have been told by others" is not a legit source. Name the mods, then the mods need to name their sources. As usual, many are so quick to run with a story without any confirmation. Maybe it's true, maybe it's not. Maybe I'm the one who is missing something here. Until this is confirmed, I will remain suspicious.

So, again, who are the sources behind this story that can confirm 100% that this is all happening. I can't find anything on the subject online. Eric Hansen hasn't muttered a single syllable about it on his radio show. Will one of these sources confirm in public? The only source, so far, is trusted mods have been told this. And now "we've" been told Denson has received a verbal spanking. Says who? Who can confirm a four game suspension? Name names. Cite sources. "Mods have been told by others" is not a legit source. Name the mods, then the mods need to name their sources. As usual, many are so quick to run with a story without any confirmation. Maybe it's true, maybe it's not. Maybe I'm the one who is missing something here. Until this is confirmed, I will remain suspicious.
Legitimate points. The only fact that sticks out to me is that the school and coaches never confirmed that Stepherson was suspended for four games, even though it was widely rumored, just as the case here. Unfortunately, these rumors prove to be accurate very very often.

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
Legitimate points. The only fact that sticks out to me is that the school and coaches never confirmed that Stepherson was suspended for four games, even though it was widely rumored, just as the case here. Unfortunately, these rumors prove to be accurate very very often.
I have to admit this is very true

I understand your point and this rumor may very well turn out to be true. My problem is the "sources" we are relying on now. Who are these moderators with unparalleled access to the inner belly of the football program? Who are their sources? Why hasn't Eric Hansen mentioned this up to now? Why aren't there any stories online with "according to multiple sources" included in the piece? If these moderators and their sources are going to make public unconfirmed rumors about a named young student-athlete, then they need to show their faces. Tell us what they know and exactly how they know it. And, I want to know who in the hell released info on Autry Denson and his verbal beat down? Who released that little ditty and who is their source?

I understand your point and this rumor may very well turn out to be true. My problem is the "sources" we are relying on now. Who are these moderators with unparalleled access to the inner belly of the football program? Who are their sources? Why hasn't Eric Hansen mentioned this up to now? Why aren't there any stories online with "according to multiple sources" included in the piece? If these moderators and their sources are going to make public unconfirmed rumors about a named young student-athlete, then they need to show their faces. Tell us what they know and exactly how they know it. And, I want to know who in the hell released info on Autry Denson and his verbal beat down? Who released that little ditty and who is their source?

Toby, the reference to the mods reporting this was way overstated and contrary to what was fully stated. This is the what the subject moderator reported, and I have no problem with this, and doubt you will either:

“I saw the post earlier regarding Dexter Williams being suspended. A source called me a few days ago and told me the same thing, but at this point it has not been corroborated by anyone at Notre Dame.

With that being the case, it is unwise and unfair to Dexter to allow that kind of rumor to percolate. When we get confirmation or official word comes out we’ll comment further on this subject.”

Reactions: markkocarroll
And yet the story has indeed percolated to the point of Denson now included in all this. When I questioned the sources a few days back when the story broke, I was told, in this thread, that "The most trusted mods on each site all have said they were told this". Apparently, instead of sitting on this rumor from "their sources", they decided to go public with very public comments disguised as a disclaimer. I still want to know the name/names of these sources who have no problem throwing out the name of a coach and young player without any confirmation. This stinks. Just look at how this story has run amuck in one thread, on one single message board. Multiply that. There must be a very good reason the SB Trib and Eric all have cloaked themselves in a code of silence regarding Dex and Denson. If anyone can find anything concrete, then , heck yea, bring it to the forefront. I'm just trying to be a little protective of Dex and Autry to the point that there is a reason not to deserve it.

Pike & Bubba broke the news.

Reactions: echowaker
Toby, the reference to the mods reporting this was way overstated and contrary to what was fully stated. This is the what the subject moderator reported, and I have no problem with this, and doubt you will either:

“I saw the post earlier regarding Dexter Williams being suspended. A source called me a few days ago and told me the same thing, but at this point it has not been corroborated by anyone at Notre Dame.

With that being the case, it is unwise and unfair to Dexter to allow that kind of rumor to percolate. When we get confirmation or official word comes out we’ll comment further on this subject.”
Our staff at BGI has always been cautious about getting involved with discussing uncorroborated rumors on the site, lest they give the appearance of actually substantiating the rumor by talking about it. They get both praised and criticized for that policy.

And yet the story has indeed percolated to the point of Denson now included in all this. When I questioned the sources a few days back when the story broke, I was told, in this thread, that "The most trusted mods on each site all have said they were told this". Apparently, instead of sitting on this rumor from "their sources", they decided to go public with very public comments disguised as a disclaimer. I still want to know the name/names of these sources who have no problem throwing out the name of a coach and young player without any confirmation. This stinks. Just look at how this story has run amuck in one thread, on one single message board. Multiply that. There must be a very good reason the SB Trib and Eric all have cloaked themselves in a code of silence regarding Dex and Denson. If anyone can find anything concrete, then , heck yea, bring it to the forefront. I'm just trying to be a little protective of Dex and Autry to the point that there is a reason not to deserve it.

A couple things:

1) Mods never give out there sources, or they would never have sources again.

2) In the past, the sources have been actual coaches, parents of players, for example.

3) It not being public or confirmed by ND is normal. Unlike in past instances nobody was arrested, so it’s not a matter of public info. If ND drug tests players & they fail (like Stepherson did last year) they don’t announce it. They handle it privately. The reason people find out is “sources” tell others outside the program. ND never announced Stepherson failed a drug test last year. They didn’t talk about him at all, just sat him out 4 ganes.

So if Dex did indeed fail a drug test, ND will never confirm that. They will never confirm his punishment. It will just happen.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Sounds like a source is just another word for snitch. Make sure these "sources" let Dexter and Denson aware that they are the ones revealing inside info to the public. Info that Dex and Denson would prefer to remain within the team. Everyone wants to be an inside player. Well, not everyone. Some still have the integrity to sit on unconfirmed rumors.

Sounds like a source is just another word for snitch. Make sure these "sources" let Dexter and Denson aware that they are the ones revealing inside info to the public. Info that Dex and Denson would prefer to remain within the team. Everyone wants to be an inside player. Well, not everyone. Some still have the integrity to sit on unconfirmed rumors.

It’s not hard to figure out.

Media at pratice notice a guy not getting reps & practicing with the scout team. The coaches won’t say why. Red flag...

Then the player tells his buddies he failed a drug test. One of them tells their parents or another player. It leaks out.

You act like people don’t talk to each other. That if a very high profile ND player is all of the sudden on the scout team & not playing the first four games who also was in the drug program for a prior public arrest, nobody would notice?

Kid was in the drug testing program for a prior arrest. He failed a test. All his teammates know it. It’s not top secret.

Media at pratice notice a guy not getting reps & practicing with the scout team. The coaches won’t say why. Red flag...

Then the player tells his buddies he failed a drug test. One of them tells their parents or another player. It leaks out.

You act like people don’t talk to each other. That if a very high profile ND player is all of the sudden on the scout team & not playing the first four games who also was in the drug program for a prior public arrest, nobody would notice?

Kid was in the drug testing program for a prior arrest. He failed a test. All his teammates know it. It’s not top secret.
he's a true dumb arse.

I've been around the block a time or two so I don't need an explanation how gossip works. My problem "coaches and players parents" running with the rumor and breaking a private team matter to an outside source. If that was your kid, you would have a completely different attitude towards unnamed sources. I do understand it's the way things go though and it will never change. It's interesting though, as far as I know, Hansen and his crew at SB Trib have taken the high road and kept silent on this rumor and I'm pretty certain they have "sources" too. The only places this rumor is running, as best as I can tell, is on public forums. Why doesn't that surprise me?

I've been around the block a time or two so I don't need an explanation how gossip works. My problem "coaches and players parents" running with the rumor and breaking a private team matter to an outside source. If that was your kid, you would have a completely different attitude towards unnamed sources. I do understand it's the way things go though and it will never change. It's interesting though, as far as I know, Hansen and his crew at SB Trib have taken the high road and kept silent on this rumor and I'm pretty certain they have "sources" too. The only places this rumor is running, as best as I can tell, is on public forums. Why doesn't that surprise me?
It has always amazed me how many people have no issue with running to a message board with info that you know was 100% provided them privately. Nanny nanny boo boo, I know something you don't know!! People just can't resist.

It has always amazed me how many people have no issue with running to a message board with info that you know was 100% provided them privately. Nanny nanny boo boo, I know something you don't know!! People just can't resist.

First, It’s not released on a message board. The mods don’t run m to a message board. They answer direct questions about it. They knew days before & didn’t talk about it until directly asked.
Second, I always find it funny when people ask questions, want info, but then complain when it’s not what they want to hear.

It’s not nana boo boo. It’s info that’s out there everybody knows.

Reactions: mirer03
First, It’s not released on a message board. The mods don’t run m to a message board. They answer direct questions about it. They knew days before & didn’t talk about it until directly asked.
Second, I always find it funny when people ask questions, want info, but then complain when it’s not what they want to hear.

It’s not nana boo boo. It’s info that’s out there everybody knows.
There have been many many instances over the years when people came to the message board(s) with info about players or recruits that was told to them privately by friends or relatives of those players. It happens all the time.

Reactions: Pennick4
There have been many many instances over the years when people came to the message board(s) with info about players or recruits that was told to them privately by friends or relatives of those players. It happens all the time.

That’s the entire business. The recruiting analysts talk to friends, families & HS coaches to get info.
I’ve always believed if you want something private, don’t tell friends, coaches, etc. or it will get out.
Some players have done this & literally no one knew what they were going to do.

In Dex’s case nobody really said anything, it was common sense to people.
He was being drug tested for prior offenses. He is being disciplined. The sources just confirmed that. So if anyone with a brain had to guess, what would be the cause of a 4 game suspension? ND will never say it (like with Stepherson) but everybody knows.

That’s the entire business. The recruiting analysts talk to friends, families & HS coaches to get info.
I’ve always believed if you want something private, don’t tell friends, coaches, etc. or it will get out.
Some players have done this & literally no one knew what they were going to do.

In Dex’s case nobody really said anything, it was common sense to people.
He was being drug tested for prior offenses. He is being disciplined. The sources just confirmed that. So if anyone with a brain had to guess, what would be the cause of a 4 game suspension? ND will never say it (like with Stepherson) but everybody knows.
To clarify, I'm not talking about people who make a living as recruiting analysts or journalists who cover recruiting, of course they are going to be turning over every rock for information. I am talking about people like you or me. Say I'm sitting at a Blessed Trinity basketball game next to Steele Chambers' brother. And we are talking recruiting and he mentions that even though Steele is saying all the right things, he really did not like his visit to XYZ State, and there's no way he's going there. I would take that as being told to me privately, and it would not be published or posted anywhere. There are people on these message boards that would be heading to the men's room to post that info as fast as they could do it.

You said coaches are sources. Why would a coach release private team info outside the locker room to anyone? What happens within the team should stay within the team as far as the staff is concerned. You said players parents are sources. Why in the hell would a players parent involve themselves in a team rumor by running to the nearest mod/forum? Would they appreciate the same "courtesy" if it was their son? What's the gain? Whether it's true about Dex and Denson or not, running to your nearest mod/message board about a private team matter stinks. I heard it from a friend, who heard it from a friend......

You said coaches are sources. Why would a coach release private team info outside the locker room to anyone? What happens within the team should stay within the team as far as the staff is concerned. You said players parents are sources. Why in the hell would a players parent involve themselves in a team rumor by running to the nearest mod/forum? Would they appreciate the same "courtesy" if it was their son? What's the gain? Whether it's true about Dex and Denson or not, running to your nearest mod/message board about a private team matter stinks. I heard it from a friend, who heard it from a friend......
Our moderator, coach Bryan Driscoll, is the one I quoted in prior post, and he locked the thread on this subject on the pay site. Seems to me that posters here are the only ones keeping this rumor front and center, at least as far as Rivals goes.

I mean if its on the premium board the mods on those boards have sources. Part of participating on the premium boards is a stipulation that you aren't going to share specific premium information. Why would the mods need to name their sources? Doing so would harm their ability to report on the team potentially.

You want "sources" reporting to premium mods about private internal matters if it was your son? Not me. There is a reason the print and radio ND Insider media has sat on the rumor and the message board community is eating it up. I was told, in this thread, that the sources are coaches and parents of players. What? I have a major issue with the "sources" and what their motivation might be? Inexcusable. If they think they are doing such a great service to ND Nation, man up and tell Dex and Autry that they are the ones selling them out to the public.

Im not a Brian Kelly basher by any means but I this is an area he is an embarassment to Notre Dame football. Recruiting guys like Redfield, Stepherson, and Williams. These players have been nut cases and you can easily tell how theyre highly self-absorbed just by their actions on the football field. Theyre not team players and the head coach has gone on to recruit them. Pathetic and embarassing. You dont get to come to ND to try and turn your life around. You come to ND because youve earned it through hardwork and upstanding character.

Im not a Brian Kelly basher by any means but I this is an area he is an embarassment to Notre Dame football. Recruiting guys like Redfield, Stepherson, and Williams. These players have been nut cases and you can easily tell how theyre highly self-absorbed just by their actions on the football field. Theyre not team players and the head coach has gone on to recruit them. Pathetic and embarassing. You dont get to come to ND to try and turn your life around. You come to ND because youve earned it through hardwork and upstanding character.
Thats because Kelly likes a good doobie here there (sarcasm)

I think the increase in recruiting in Georgia and subsequent decrease in Florida is at least partly a result of the recent Florida recruits.

Every major college football team has disciplinary issues within their programs. Not sure that the team would be competitive with 85 choir boys.

Not to mention this is most likely a ND given drug test. Unless the kid is being a derelict to the school, team let him effing smoke!
Until it's legal in indiana "no smoking weed" these kids are given a special gift and all that's asked of them is keep your head down and do what's asked of you. I come from the opinion that if it were legal here i'd smoke the s**t out of it. Due do lots of medical issues.

Until it's legal in indiana "no smoking weed" these kids are given a special gift and all that's asked of them is keep your head down and do what's asked of you. I come from the opinion that if it were legal here i'd smoke the s**t out of it. Due do lots of medical issues.
Here is my problem with smoking weed. Most of the weed smokers I know have a priority. That priority is to smoke more weed. It is a lot more difficult to be the best at something when the competition is weed. I can't say I know what it does because I do not use it. When I ask why they use it is because it makes all of their problems go away, they are gone. I would think it would be real hard to be great at something if your motivation is somewhere else. Understand the potential medical uses. But if I'm trying to build a great football team, I don't think a bunch of potheads would work out so well.

One of the big problems in Michigan is there are a lot of vacancies for a lot of high paying heavy industry jobs. Jobs are all apprentice based so no education required. It requires two things. Be on time at 7 in the morning and pass piss tests. With overtime some of these jobs make six figures. This is heavy equipment. First 30 minutes of the day is spent reviewing safety procedures. Yet it is more important to get a medical pot card and do nothing.

Im not a Brian Kelly basher by any means but I this is an area he is an embarassment to Notre Dame football. Recruiting guys like Redfield, Stepherson, and Williams. These players have been nut cases and you can easily tell how theyre highly self-absorbed just by their actions on the football field. Theyre not team players and the head coach has gone on to recruit them. Pathetic and embarassing. You dont get to come to ND to try and turn your life around. You come to ND because you've earned it through hardwork and upstanding character.

"Recruiting guys like Redfield, Stepherson, and Williams. These players have been nut cases and you can easily tell how theyre highly self-absorbed just by their actions on the football field. Theyre not team players and the head coach has gone on to recruit them. Pathetic and embarassing."

SO -- basically, what you are saying that every head coach is embarrassing their school -- do you not think that Saban, Meyer, and many other coaches have had reefer issues within their players (I live in Columbus, so I get to hear these)? Is Meyer an embarrassment to OSU for recruiting guys to play there? You don't kids deserve to got Bama, OSU, Michigan based on their hard work? Coaches do way too much due diligence on these guys to not know alot -- but, these kids are also young adults, DO READ internet pages and hear of other players getting whacked for this SAME issue, YET, decide to still partake! Coaches are only allowed so much time with these kids, they also know right from wrong as well.

Reactions: echowaker
"Recruiting guys like Redfield, Stepherson, and Williams. These players have been nut cases and you can easily tell how theyre highly self-absorbed just by their actions on the football field. Theyre not team players and the head coach has gone on to recruit them. Pathetic and embarassing."

SO -- basically, what you are saying that every head coach is embarrassing their school -- do you not think that Saban, Meyer, and many other coaches have had reefer issues within their players (I live in Columbus, so I get to hear these)? Is Meyer an embarrassment to OSU for recruiting guys to play there? You don't kids deserve to got Bama, OSU, Michigan based on their hard work? Coaches do way too much due diligence on these guys to not know alot -- but, these kids are also young adults, DO READ internet pages and hear of other players getting whacked for this SAME issue, YET, decide to still partake! Coaches are only allowed so much time with these kids, they also know right from wrong as well.
Bama has all sort of issues with weed, and has a very player friendly drug testing program. Georgia has a very strict program, and Mark Richt was always angling for the SEC to adopt a standard program for the conference, but that idea never got off square one.

Reactions: Kelso86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT