ADVERTISEMENT

Marijuana trouble

I've made it clear how I hope Dex was the starting RB and getting as many carries as he can handle, as I believe he and armstrong are our only talented backs. Smith and Jones know how to play football, but they lack talent, both are extremely slow.

With all of that said, I don't want Dex to get carries in spite of rules and values. If what has been rumored is true, he should get 100% of the blame. But, there is an opportunity for the coaches to change players and make them understand the rules and improve on their values. Kelly and staff have been struggling with it, specifically at the RB position. So again, 100% of the blame goes to Dex but Kelly and Denson are struggling to get their players to follow the rules. Something has to change. I don't know what the solution is, but change is needed.

Who can realistically plan for such an unexpected attrition ? how many scholarship backs can you have without short changing yourself somewhere else ?
You can't ever predict the attrition like this. But you need retention to be part of the coaching/messaging. Kelly/Denson are not doing their job here. If you can't retain players you need to make changes in the process, messaging, discipline (not saying less), etc.

You shouldn't predict or worry about this much attrition because a well ran program would retain their players and not have consistent issues. ND isn't the only school with high standards.

Interesting thing I noticed.

Arguably the most important ‘19 recruit ND is going after had a huge development this weekend & nobody is discussing it. Everybody is wrapped up in a weed debate.

Some rail ND can’t get their top targets, but ND might just have done just that.

Reactions: jcswoopnh
You can't ever predict the attrition like this. But you need retention to be part of the coaching/messaging. Kelly/Denson are not doing their job here. If you can't retain players you need to make changes in the process, messaging, discipline (not saying less), etc.

You shouldn't predict or worry about this much attrition because a well ran program would retain their players and not have consistent issues. ND isn't the only school with high standards.
couldn't disagree more. this is about individual responsibility on the players part. coaches are not babysitters nor should they be.

Last edited:
Some very nice CBs coming our way. Go Irish! Glad American Airlines added that direct flight from Dallas to South Bend - lets put some DFW recruits and a very important DE on it.

Some very nice CBs coming our way. Go Irish! Glad American Airlines added that direct flight from Dallas to South Bend - lets put some DFW recruits and a very important DE on it.

The scuttlebutt is ND wrapped things up with him before his OV to Texas. Doing that is VERY impressive since he was 50/50 a week before & it’s his in-state program.
If it’s all true, ND’s class is looking great on the D-Line.

Lacey (top 150)
Spears (top 250)
Cross (top 250)
Nana (top 100)

Also, ND had to pass on Joe Anderson (academics) but supposedly are slow-playing Briggs & can get Rodas if things stay the same.

Reactions: TXNDFan88
2020 RB Trayanum:

"While Elston coaches the defensive line, Trayanum has developed a good relationship with him, and that could pay off down the road.

“Mike Elston is a great guy and someone I could be coached by,” Trayanum said. “I haven’t had contact with any other coaches.

Huh..? What about our RB's coach?!

Reactions: NDIRISH53
2020 RB Trayanum:

"While Elston coaches the defensive line, Trayanum has developed a good relationship with him, and that could pay off down the road.

“Mike Elston is a great guy and someone I could be coached by,” Trayanum said. “I haven’t had contact with any other coaches.

Huh..? What about our RB's coach?!

I said this in the other thread (and a bunch of people got mad at me), if you pay close attention lately ND has moved Denson off of the big time recruits. When people do interviews with the recruiting analysts they will say who they are talking to. You rarely hear Denson’s name. One RB recently said Kelly & Long offered him in person, & Polian talks to him daily. Never mentioned Denson.

Reactions: mirer03
couldn't disagree more. this about individual responsibility on the players part. coaches are not babysitters nor should they be.
That is especially true at ND, where we have players spread all over the campus in regular dorms, versus living together in an athletic facility where they are easy to constantly monitor.

Interesting thing I noticed.

Arguably the most important ‘19 recruit ND is going after had a huge development this weekend & nobody is discussing it. Everybody is wrapped up in a weed debate.

Some rail ND can’t get their top targets, but ND might just have done just that.
Just not a lot of info out after Na Na’s official to Texas. Seems like Texas is reserved about the trip and some CBS coming our way. You’re right. He would be an elite get at a position of need.

Just not a lot of info out after Na Na’s official to Texas. Seems like Texas is reserved about the trip and some CBS coming our way. You’re right. He would be an elite get at a position of need.

EJ & Nahlin both are saying ND.

Nahlin runs the “Inside Texas” site & came out on a Sunday (which is rare I guess?) & said Texas didn’t do much & it seemed he was ND before showing up.
EJ wrote a piece on it & said Texas needed a HR & only got a double. Said he wasn’t as engaged as before & then he flipped his pick to ND after checking with sources. So that’s two different Texas insiders who say ND.

Reactions: Telx1
This is an excellent articulation that cuts to the heart of what is really the issue. All this blabber about how violators disciplined for the “harmless” use of an illegal and highly addictive substance have been unjustly persecuted are a mask for the unfortunate new social morality centered around the “new wave” concept of lack of personal responsibility. What makes this exponentially worse it that he is selling his team and everyone associated with institution down the river. Thus, it goes far beyond an “individual” thing. When he signed on for his free education he implicitly agreed to abide by the terms/rules/conditions associated with it. Given the track record he himself created, Notre Dame did all it could to guide him and he thumbed his nose at it.
I agree our kids need to follow ND and NCAA rules but the following statement:

"illegal and highly addictive substance"

Marijuana is not even among the top 12 most addictive substances -- way less addictive than nicotine and alcohol and even caffeine (all of which Dex could use with abandon and without penalty if he's 21.) Mary Jane is also legal now in 9 states. I have seen many many people destroy their lives with 1. alcohol, 2. cocaine 3. perscription opioids 4. speed -- not so much with pot. Most of my ND buddies from the 70s smoked pot and continue to bowl up. Doctors, lawyers, teachers, engineers etc. All of them are very successful with big happy families (grandpas now.) But like martinis or beers they know when it is okay to take a hit (like when Caddyshack or Dazed and Confused comes on HBO late at night) and when not to...LIke before or during work!

That said, new strains and 'wax' is much more powerful and needs to be regulated in some way. And, as long as these rules are in place, our athletes need to stick to them and our coaches need to do everything to keep them in line. I really hope Dex figures this out.

couldn't disagree more. this about individual responsibility on the players part. coaches are not babysitters nor should they be.
Times have changed....... you either change with them, or get left in the dust. Right now, at RB, we're getting left in the dust.

Every coach in america has a message, process, penalties, and way to stop players from smoking weed. Clearly Kelly's plan isn't working.

That is especially true at ND, where we have players spread all over the campus in regular dorms, versus living together in an athletic facility where they are easy to constantly monitor.
Huh? It has the easier to monitory with being condensed on campus. Most schools allow their players off campus after frosh year, then they get spread out all over, no RAs, living in apartments, condos, houses, etc. That's got to be way more difficult than dealing with players in dorms.

Reactions: mirer03
Times have changed....... you either change with them, or get left in the dust. Right now, at RB, we're getting left in the dust.

Every coach in america has a message, process, penalties, and way to stop players from smoking weed. Clearly Kelly's plan isn't working.
Not sure I understand how you arrive at this. Do you really think that weed smoking is prevented at most major universities where athletes have their own dorms or mostly live off campus? Do you really think the powerhouse football programs closely monitor this?

Reactions: irishalice

that makes no sense. rule breaking is just that. i've been in education my entire professional life. there is a segment of kids who just don't care regardless of the potential penalties and repercussions. no different than things a lot of folks do..i've driven after drinking many times and made it home safely by the grace of God. who hasn't driven over the speed limit ? 99% of the time we get away with it. you choose to smoke weed and you'll likely never get in trouble for it. these players decide for themselves if the risk is worth it. if it's true about williams maybe he could care less he might get suspended ? not sure what anyone expects a coaching staff to do.

Reactions: irishalice
Not sure I understand how you arrive at this. Do you really think that weed smoking is prevented at most major universities where athletes have their own dorms or mostly live off campus? Do you really think the powerhouse football programs closely monitor this?
They absolutely 1000% monitor with regards to ensuring their kids are clean when they need to be, and pass whatever tests are needed. ND has more strict internal policies than other schools, and their level of leadership, coaching, etc needs to follow.

15 year ago when I played, players understood they were suspended if they got caught. Steroids, weed, etc were used extensively in the off season, or if someone got drunk and smoked at a party they would quickly get on toxin rid.

My point is smoking weed is the easiest way to get suspended from a team, they need to be coached up better. Again, 100% of the blame goes to Dex, but there are preventative coaching that needs to be done better. This is becoming too common with important players at ND>

They absolutely 1000% monitor with regards to ensuring their kids are clean when they need to be, and pass whatever tests are needed. ND has more strict internal policies than other schools, and their level of leadership, coaching, etc needs to follow.

15 year ago when I played, players understood they were suspended if they got caught. Steroids, weed, etc were used extensively in the off season, or if someone got drunk and smoked at a party they would quickly get on toxin rid.

My point is smoking weed is the easiest way to get suspended from a team, they need to be coached up better. Again, 100% of the blame goes to Dex, but there are preventative coaching that needs to be done better. This is becoming too common with important players at ND>
bull you know what. some kids just don't care.

Reactions: tbonesays
that makes no sense. rule breaking is just that. i've been in education my entire professional life. there is a segment of kids who just don't care regardless of the potential penalties and repercussions. no different than things a lot of folks do..i've driven after drinking many times and made it home safely by the grace of God. who hasn't driven over the speed limit ? 99% of the time we get away with it. you choose to smoke weed and you'll likely never get in trouble for it. these players decide for themselves if the risk is worth it. if it's true about williams maybe he could care less he might get suspended ? not sure what anyone expects a coaching staff to do.
I agree that the fault goes to the players, but kelly's 3 strike system clearly is not working as this is becoming all too common with important ND players.

Your solution to the problem is do nothing? Let players make their own choices and deal with the consequences? Or do you not think there is a problem? Maybe there isn't, i just think this is happening far too often.

bull you know what. some kids just don't care.
Very true, and they're easy to pin point. Dex is in his fourth year, if he didn't care, the coaches would know, and he should have been long gone, giving ND the chance to recruit another RB. Quick leash on CJ and MCintosh, what's different here?

I don't care if kids smoke a little pot if they win you're correct.
so you're all in favor of not following the rules as long as they win ? no thank you. what's your line in the sand ? what's acceptable and what isn't ?

Very true, and they're easy to pin point. Dex is in his fourth year, if he didn't care, the coaches would know, and he should have been long gone, giving ND the chance to recruit another RB. Quick leash on CJ and MCintosh, what's different here?
that's quite an assumption. as far as mcintosh and holmes i don't know the history with them inside the locker room or within the university itself to think it was a "quick leash" nor does anyone else here i assume. maybe they've all been given multiple opportunities to correct their behavior.

Huh? It has the easier to monitory with being condensed on campus. Most schools allow their players off campus after frosh year, then they get spread out all over, no RAs, living in apartments, condos, houses, etc. That's got to be way more difficult than dealing with players in dorms.
We have players living off campus in their later years too, if they choose to. But early in their career they are spread all over campus with all the regular folks, not penned up in an athletic dorm where their comings and goings and activities can be monitored.

Couldn’t disagree more. Saban had 3 in 2013, 4 in 2014 and 2 in 2016 that I can remember that were suspended and undoubtedly more we never heard about. Should Alabama have let Saban go? BK has clearly set the tone, suspending players appropriately and in some cases more harshly than many schools would have.

And exactly what more vetting should the head coach do? They meet with the players, the players family, the players coaches, the school “vets” the kid, etc. Everybody always complains that we want the best players and recruiting classes. I can just imagine if BK stopped recruiting a top player because he “thinks the kid may one day not follow the rules and potentially do something stupid?”

Like I said, I don’t have the answers. However. I do realize “kids” make poor choices. I am not privy to the vetting process. I really don’t think it’s a fair comparison between ND and Alabama. Stanford, BC and similar type schools would be a better comparison. I would be curious to see how many “ academic casualties “ and “ disciplinary “ issues Stanford has had the past 7 years. I use Stanford because both schools try for academic excellence. That would be a better barometer. As far as I can tell, Stanford is the better program over the last decade and I don’t recall to many issues with their football players. That’s where ND use to be.

I agree that the fault goes to the players, but kelly's 3 strike system clearly is not working as this is becoming all too common with important ND players.

Your solution to the problem is do nothing? Let players make their own choices and deal with the consequences? Or do you not think there is a problem? Maybe there isn't, i just think this is happening far too often.
Yes. They're not children. Life lessons are pretty hard sometimes. They have been made well aware of the rules multiple times you can be certain. It's all about choices.

Your opening sentence says a ton....”1000% monitored to ensure their kids are clean when they need to be, and able to pass whatever tests are needed”. Frankly, that sounds like the Russian Olympic Drug testing scandal, but not positive i’m Interpreting your words correctly.

On the horizon for team. Rumors from tos that Dex is in hot water for smoking dope like a dope.

Gezz

If he smoked it in a state that was legal what's the big deal?
If he smoked it in a state that it was illegal then I'm sure it's a misdemeanor.
I grew up in Alaska and from the 70s to now it has always been legal because it's not a big deal.
Alcohol has ruined far many more lives han marij has.
If it was I'm prescribed opiates/meth/heroin I can see an uproar but marijuana?
C'mon man!

Last edited:
Gezz

If he smoked it in a state that it was illegal then I'm sure it's a misdemeanor.
I grew up in Alaska and from the 70s to now it has always been legal because it's not a big deal.
Alcohol has ruined far many more lies and marijuana has.
C'mon man!

DIP, here is the problem since it is federal law businesses employees even where legal per say technically if used will find themselves with out a job. Also these dispensaries are cash only businesses. Banks will not do business with them etc etc.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Gezz

Alcohol has ruined far many more lies and marijuana has.
C'mon man!
Fact. My brother moved to Homer late 80s. Alchohol would have killed him had he not moved back to my area.

DIP, here is the problem since it is federal law businesses employees even where legal per say technically if used will find themselves with out a job. Also these dispensaries are cash only businesses. Banks will not do business with them etc etc.
I have a class A driver's license I am very familiar with the federal laws the problem is marijuana is in the same classification as opiates and heroin methamphetamine LSD
I never really understood that

In 2019 is the next update on the class A drugs for federal purposes

You did make a good point though

I have a class A driver's license I am very familiar with the federal laws the problem is marijuana is in the same classification as opiates and heroin methamphetamine LSD
I never really understood that

In 2019 is the next update on the class A drugs for federal purposes
Having a CDL B even though I do not use it for my job I still want to keep it so I am careful

Sure is, as is opioids and meth... very sad. A lot of lonely men with nothing to look forward to living in that state.
That is such a shame because the hunting and fishing and Hiking is like nowhere else in the world let alone in America

That is such a shame because the hunting and fishing and Hiking is like nowhere else in the world let alone in America
My brother used to tell me stories about moose fighting in his neighborhood, bears scratching at doors like massive dogs. He still is an incredible fisherman. Used to go on trips up there with retired navy seals that failed to capture bin laden (supposedly)

My brother used to tell me stories about moose fighting in his neighborhood, bears scratching at doors like massive dogs. He still is an incredible fisherman. Used to go on trips up there with retired navy seals that failed to capture bin laden (supposedly)

I just got back from Alaska we go 3 times a year because we have a lot of property up there and we have to keep the fire lanes open
it is breathtaking but very dangerous at the same time.
Bears are concerned but Moose are a very real threat, and to be avoided at all times

My brother lives in downtown Anchorage Alaska. His wife has had to call in twice because a Moose decided to sit in the driveway. After a few hours they decide to move on. No one gave her any grief.

Gezz

Alcohol has ruined far many more lives han marij has.
C'mon man!
It is against school policy.

ADVERTISEMENT