ADVERTISEMENT

Marijuana trouble

This has become a yearly thing with Kelly. I know these kids ultimately have to look in the mirror and take responsibility. But Kelly has to set the tone. Either they don’t care what he says or he’s not getting the message across. ND will not turn a blind eye to bad behavior. Let me rephrase. Behavior that they, as an institution see as bad. Some schools see it different. Maybe it’s time to really vett these kids. Maybe it’s time to cut the coach. I cannot remember a coach at ND that has had issues year after year like Kelly has had. Anyway you slice it, something has to change. I’m not saying i know the answers , I don’t. Clearly you cannot go year after year and have players suspended and expect to “compete” for the big prize.

Some strange posts here. Williams, and only Williams, is responsible for his actions and decisions. And he should be held to account consistent with Team and school policy. IF the rumors prove accurate and the policy suggests a four game suspension, then he let Himself and his teammates down with a really immature and selfish decision; and as a fan, I’ll miss hoping for one of his breakaway runs, while cheering for our run by committee in his absence.
Well said, as usual.

Quietly ND has gotten worse this off season. This team's expected strength was depth. Quietly the players ND would have liked to stay have transferred or gotten in trouble, while players they would quietly welcome leaving are content to stay and graduate (totally understandable). If Williams gets any kind of lengthy suspension, Hayes, Watkins and Williams serve as 3 significant losses in terms of depth, experience and talent. ND fans will simply say "no worries, next man in", but that is a little bit delusional. Shit happens, but ND is losing the wrong guys right now.
IIO...seems you haven’t recovered yet from Harry’s leaving. Don’t know how you can say we have gotten quietly worse this offseason. Yes, Hayes and Watkins would have helped with depth, but both were starters last year who lost their starting role to BETTER players!

Reactions: TXNDFan88
Quietly ND has gotten worse this off season. This team's expected strength was depth. Quietly the players ND would have liked to stay have transferred or gotten in trouble, while players they would quietly welcome leaving are content to stay and graduate (totally understandable). If Williams gets any kind of lengthy suspension, Hayes, Watkins and Williams serve as 3 significant losses in terms of depth, experience and talent. ND fans will simply say "no worries, next man in", but that is a little bit delusional. Shit happens, but ND is losing the wrong guys right now.
On paper teams get worse every year due to graduation. Opportunities for younger guys.
If Dex is more interested in being a "Spiccoli" than he wasn't going to be a productive teammate. Better to have found out now than later.

Not to mention this is most likely a ND given drug test. Unless the kid is being a derelict to the school, team let him effing smoke!
Sure let him spark up on the sideline. :eek:. Better yet they can pass it around in the huddle.

Hahahahahaha this is why people hate ND. Holier than thou. He smoked weed! Now if he had like pounds of weed in his apartment or was selling I'd understand. Kids not a choir boy, but he gets 5 yards every time he touches the ball! ND needs him if they wanna win 10 games, end of story. My freaking 80 year old father smokes weed, should we throw him in jail? You seriously don't know any normal people that smoke pot? 90% of college kids do!
Maybe that is why he couldn't pass block. He was too stoned to figure out who to pass block.

Reactions: NDIRISH53
Oh the HORROR, the kid smoked pot. WGAF, I'm sure 50% of college kids smoke a little weed. Some of you clowns act like he was smoking crack or snorting cocaine. I agree its stupid to have a scholarship and do dumb things but this is really a non issue. ND will make it an issue, no worse than alcohol. Stop the nonsense

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
Echo I bet 75% of all college football players have smoked pot at least once in their 4 years at college
Football and weed seem to just go together, whether it be in college or the NFL. I suspect in the next collective bargaining agreement the NFL will eliminate testing for weed. Owners and players both want that, public perception is the only concern.

Oh the HORROR, the kid smoked pot. WGAF, I'm sure 50% of college kids smoke a little weed. Some of you clowns act like he was smoking crack or snorting cocaine. I agree its stupid to have a scholarship and do dumb things but this is really a non issue. ND will make it an issue, no worse than alcohol. Stop the nonsense
The issue is if true he violated a rule. Whether any of us here thinks it's a big deal or not is not relevant. If true it's a stupid selfish action.

it is illegal by federal law
My point was that even if legalized, its not clear the NCAA would change their standards, so whether everyone does it or not, there are and will be consequences for student athletes on scholarship.

Notre Dame has a duty to help these kids mature for adulthood. Que your favorite speech about becoming a man, then understand that if DW cannot stop smoking pot for football and a possible NFL paycheck then he is going to be a liability to his future family, friends, and employers. ND would be derelict in this duty if we just Bobby Bowden away this issue and let him go without consequences. And we all know which side of this dilemna ND stands on.

Reactions: hoopsstar12
Daelin Hayes?

This has become a yearly thing with Kelly. I know these kids ultimately have to look in the mirror and take responsibility. But Kelly has to set the tone. Either they don’t care what he says or he’s not getting the message across. ND will not turn a blind eye to bad behavior. Let me rephrase. Behavior that they, as an institution see as bad. Some schools see it different. Maybe it’s time to really vett these kids. Maybe it’s time to cut the coach. I cannot remember a coach at ND that has had issues year after year like Kelly has had. Anyway you slice it, something has to change. I’m not saying i know the answers , I don’t. Clearly you cannot go year after year and have players suspended and expect to “compete” for the big prize.

Couldn’t disagree more. Saban had 3 in 2013, 4 in 2014 and 2 in 2016 that I can remember that were suspended and undoubtedly more we never heard about. Should Alabama have let Saban go? BK has clearly set the tone, suspending players appropriately and in some cases more harshly than many schools would have.

And exactly what more vetting should the head coach do? They meet with the players, the players family, the players coaches, the school “vets” the kid, etc. Everybody always complains that we want the best players and recruiting classes. I can just imagine if BK stopped recruiting a top player because he “thinks the kid may one day not follow the rules and potentially do something stupid?”

Reactions: mirer03
Couldn’t disagree more. Saban had 3 in 2013, 4 in 2014 and 2 in 2016 that I can remember that were suspended and undoubtedly more we never heard about. Should Alabama have let Saban go? BK has clearly set the tone, suspending players appropriately and in some cases more harshly than many schools would have.

And exactly what more vetting should the head coach do? They meet with the players, the players family, the players coaches, the school “vets” the kid, etc. Everybody always complains that we want the best players and recruiting classes. I can just imagine if BK stopped recruiting a top player because he “thinks the kid may one day not follow the rules and potentially do something stupid?”
Saban won 5 titles... yes there is s double standard between him and BK

Notre Dame has a duty to help these kids mature for adulthood. Que your favorite speech about becoming a man, then understand that if DW cannot stop smoking pot for football and a possible NFL paycheck then he is going to be a liability to his future family, friends, and employers. ND would be derelict in this duty if we just Bobby Bowden away this issue and let him go without consequences. And we all know which side of this dilemna ND stands on.
This is an excellent articulation that cuts to the heart of what is really the issue. All this blabber about how violators disciplined for the “harmless” use of an illegal and highly addictive substance have been unjustly persecuted are a mask for the unfortunate new social morality centered around the “new wave” concept of lack of personal responsibility. What makes this exponentially worse it that he is selling his team and everyone associated with institution down the river. Thus, it goes far beyond an “individual” thing. When he signed on for his free education he implicitly agreed to abide by the terms/rules/conditions associated with it. Given the track record he himself created, Notre Dame did all it could to guide him and he thumbed his nose at it.

It’s been discussed in the other thread.
It’s been known for a few days but not confirmed by ND, so until last night kept quiet. As I mentioned in the other thread there is a reason Dex doesn’t get the opportunities people want from him. This isnt his first time for him either.
I'm curious. Is there an actual legit responsible source for the Dex story or is it just message board gossip and rumor? Can anyone confirm or is this a case where someone from within leaked the story to someone else and here we go?

Reactions: irishdave2000
This is an excellent articulation that cuts to the heart of what is really the issue. All this blabber about how violators disciplined for the “harmless” use of an illegal and highly addictive substance have been unjustly persecuted are a mask for the unfortunate new social morality centered around the “new wave” concept of lack of personal responsibility. What makes this exponentially worse it that he is selling his team and everyone associated with institution down the river. Thus, it goes far beyond an “individual” thing. When he signed on for his free education he implicitly agreed to abide by the terms/rules/conditions associated with it. Given the track record he himself created, Notre Dame did all it could to guide him and he thumbed his nose at it.
winner, winner...

I'm curious. Is there an actual legit responsible source for the Dex story or is it just message board gossip and rumor? Can anyone confirm or is this a case where someone from within leaked the story to someone else and here we go?

The most trusted mods on each site all have said they were told this. The only thing in question is the punishment, but they said 4 games like Stepherson since he is a repeat offender.

Reactions: irishdave2000
OK, Thanks. I will be waiting for an official statement concerning the matter though. Maybe soon?

OK, Thanks. I will be waiting for an official statement concerning the matter though. Maybe soon?

There isn’t any normal press conferences scheduled soon, & they aren’t going to do one just to announce this. So probably won’t be public for a while.

Don't care if Denson hounds DW for 23 hours every day. If Dex wants weed, he'll get it that one hour he's not being watched. He's an adult (used loosely) and he's responsible for his own actions!!!

Christ, quit trying to find a scapegoat for everything. Nobody else is responsible except Dex.

There was and is a reason why law enforcement identified marijuana as the gateway drug into the drug culture. Notre Dame should have sent a clear message with the "poor choice six" back in 2016. It appears ND's unclear message wasn't received so they must deal it it again; if your information is correct. I agree with my hs football coach. He told us to turn in our gear if we wanted to use drugs. Zero tolerance IMHO.

Reactions: rgc7
See, I'm no genius but this is exactly why I went on here and expressed concern about our RB depth a while back. With Josh leaving and Deon gone, we suddenly were thin after Dexter and Tony Jones. Now, it may have become even more of an issue. As the late SNL character, Roseanne Roseanadana, use to say...."It's always something".

There isn’t any normal press conferences scheduled soon, & they aren’t going to do one just to announce this. So probably won’t be public for a while.
Was Stepherson’s Suspension ever made public or confirmed? I remember reading all sorts of quotes from Kelly and staff about his need to improve to see the field, and then magically he was playing after the fourth game as per widespread rumor that he had been suspended for the first four. Just can’t recall if the University ever confirmed or kept it as a private university matter.

Was Stepherson’s Suspension ever made public or confirmed? I remember reading all sorts of quotes from Kelly and staff about his need to improve to see the field, and then magically he was playing after the fourth game as per widespread rumor that he had been suspended for the first four. Just can’t recall if the University ever confirmed or kept it as a private university matter.

No. And I don’t think they will with Dex either. But who knows?

The most trusted mods on each site all have said they were told this. The only thing in question is the punishment, but they said 4 games like Stepherson since he is a repeat offender.
I only read Rivals, but I haven’t seen where Lou or Bryan have confirmed this rumor. Are you sure about this statement? One thing for sure, it seems like so-called rumors, whether about suspensions or transfers or injuries, etc... damn near always turn out to be accurate with respect to ND players.

I only read Rivals, but I haven’t seen where Lou or Bryan have confirmed this rumor. Are you sure about this statement? One thing for sure, it seems like so-called rumors, whether about suspensions or transfers or injuries, etc... damn near always turn out to be accurate with respect to ND players.

Bryan said originally he was told by a trusted source a few days back but didn’t want to report it until ND said so.
The mods on TOS are not as conservative as Bryan so they went ahead & reported it.
Usually if it’s just a rumor Bryan will be the first to say so & shut down the discussion. But he is discussing it & Dex’s overall behavior.

See, I'm no genius but this is exactly why I went on here and expressed concern about our RB depth a while back. With Josh leaving and Deon gone, we suddenly were thin after Dexter and Tony Jones. Now, it may have become even more of an issue. As the late SNL character, Roseanne Roseanadana, use to say...."It's always something".
Who can realistically plan for such an unexpected attrition ? how many scholarship backs can you have without short changing yourself somewhere else ?

Reactions: Kelso86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT