ADVERTISEMENT

How much will being a 5th seed at best

CF is changing constantly and ND choosing to remain independent will only hurt them down the road when all the other CF powers will be part of a conference - specifically the massive B1G and SEC conferences. There's already the notion on other boards that ND has their noses up in the air by refusing to stay out of a conference.....just a bad scene for ND
Many disagree, Notre Dame won’t join a conference until it’s to their advantage to join a conference

Reactions: NDinNJ
Right. This squealing about an "independence penalty" is nonsense. It's a square deal that Swarbrick got for ND. A conference champion has to win and then win another three to get the NC. A conference loser - other than Big Ten or SEC - probably won't get in the playoff and if they do, they'll need to win four games to win it all. There is no "independence penalty." It is actually an "independence advantage."
You continue to look at this in a vacuum, ignoring the fact that a conference champ could have a mediocre record, Pick a number, 10-3, 9-4 or 8-5 while ND might be 12-0, 11-1 or 10-2.

The point is, why should a team with a worse record, a team not ranked as well as Notre Dame be given the advantage of a better seeding ?

You continue to look at this in a vacuum, ignoring the fact that a conference champ could have a mediocre record, Pick a number, 10-3, 9-4 or 8-5 while ND might be 12-0, 11-1 or 10-2.

The point is, why should a team with a worse record, a team not ranked as well as Notre Dame be given the advantage of a better seeding ?
ND might be 12-0, 11-1 or 10-2 after playing two service academies, two MAC creampuffs and half a dozen ACC cupcakes. Do you honestly not understand the difference between that and an SEC or Big Ten schedule? I'm not trying to be adversarial here. Do you understand the difference, yes or no?

ND might be 12-0, 11-1 or 10-2 after playing two service academies, two MAC creampuffs and half a dozen ACC cupcakes. Do you honestly not understand the difference between that and an SEC or Big Ten schedule? I'm not trying to be adversarial here. Do you understand the difference, yes or no?
Michigan didnt play a top 50 team until their 9th game of the season last year & played Iowa in B1G champ game. Talk about cupcake schedules.

Many disagree, Notre Dame won’t join a conference until it’s to their advantage to join a conference
What if all of the big boys in the SEC and B1G start playing a full conference schedule and get away from all of the cupcake pre-conference games like is being thrown around right now. Who's going to schedule ND? The local high schools?

What if all of the big boys in the SEC and B1G start playing a full conference schedule and get away from all of the cupcake pre-conference games like is being thrown around right now. Who's going to schedule ND? The local high schools?
Notre Dame has Alabama and Florida on future schedules.

What’s your spin to that?

Reactions: BGI User 756
Our schedule's weaker than usual this year. It didn't help when Miami (FL) requested to postpone our game and we agreed, replacing them with Army. But looking over Penn State's schedule, it doesn't look that much tougher than ours. The top half of our respective schedules look about the same difficulty. We both probably have 3 or 4 ranked teams. Theirs is probably tougher at the bottom end. But the top end matters more, in terms of how many ranked opponents you have.

Our schedule's weaker than usual this year. It didn't help when Miami (FL) requested to postpone our game and we agreed, replacing them with Army. But looking over Penn State's schedule, it doesn't look that much tougher than ours. The top half of our respective schedules look about the same difficulty. We both probably have 3 or 4 ranked teams. Theirs is probably tougher at the bottom end. But the top end matters more, in terms of how many ranked opponents you have.
You cherry-picked Penn State in the Big Ten but the conversation here is USC vs ND. Just look at the difference between their schedules. No wonder USC is trying to dump you domers.

Michigan rode a soft, cupcake schedule that included UNLV, Bowling Green, East Carolina...... and an overall crappy Big 10 to a national title.

So what.

You cherry-picked Penn State in the Big Ten but the conversation here is USC vs ND. Just look at the difference between their schedules. No wonder USC is trying to dump you domers.

Their schedule's certainly tough in their first year in the Big Ten. Riley also attempted to get out of their matchup with LSU, but LSU wouldn't agree to it.

Their schedule's certainly tough in their first year in the Big Ten. Riley also attempted to get out of their matchup with LSU, but LSU wouldn't agree to it.
Lincoln Riley attempted to cancel USC's game with LSU, has made comments about USC dropping Notre Dame after a 100 year rivalry, and cut and ran out of Oklahoma when he learned the Sooners would move from the Big 12 to the SEC.

Consistency.

What if ? What if ? What if ?

What if the sky starts to fall ?

The reality is that playing Notre Dame is a huge revenue boost, hence Notre Dame will continue to be an attractive opponent and a desirable scheduling target

Would you name those individuals in the USC administration that have stated that they want to delete Notre Dame from their football schedule?

Thanks

What if ? What if ? What if ?

What if the sky starts to fall ?

The reality is that playing Notre Dame is a huge revenue boost, hence Notre Dame will continue to be an attractive opponent and a desirable scheduling target

I don't see playing ND as a "huge revenue boost" for good programs. For a MAC team? Yes, they will receive a nice payday for scheduling a one and done in South Bend. Just like they would by playing at Indiana. A noticeable attendance bump for a team like Pitt played at Pitt. But, for Power Four teams that sell out anyway (A&M, FSU, Clemson, OSU, Oregon, etc), playing ND at home doesn't add any money for the school. The NETWORK that telecasts ND away games gets a boost, but that money doesn't get paid to the host team.

Michigan rode a soft, cupcake schedule that included UNLV, Bowling Green, East Carolina...... and an overall crappy Big 10 to a national title.

So what.
And ND will play even a softer schedule (including Miami Ohio, Northern Illinois, Army & Navy) this season.

If ND is 12-0, we are getting a bye during the conference title weekend. If we’re the 5 seed, we play at home vs the 12 seed as our 13th game, I would imagine that’s an easier game compared to a neutral site conference title game of either the ACC, BIG or SEC.

What if ND lost the conference title game of any of the conferences? Then they actually do need to play an “extra game.”

The only teams that may have to play an extra game to win a title would be one who plays in a conference title game and loses. Sounds like a disadvantage to me.
Maybe if ND got three weeks off after what you call an 'extra game.' As is some teams get a bye and others do not.
Do you even Delaware State?
Here's Nebraska's first 7 games:

UTEP
Colorado
Northern Iowa
Illinois
At Purdoesn't
Rutgers
At Indiana

Notre Dame should apologize to no one.
so, 4-3?

That's exactly what Lincoln Riley said, but he used Bama as an example. You win an NC by playing a soft schedule and making it into the playoffs.

Would you name those individuals in the USC administration that have stated that they want to delete Notre Dame from their football schedule?
We haven't heard one word from anyone in the USC administration about this issue. But when you look at the ND 2027 football schedule, USC isn't there. So if you're looking for evidence that the USC administration wants to continue the ND rivalry, there is none.

• Haha
We haven't heard one word from anyone in the USC administration about this issue. But when you look at the ND 2027 football schedule, USC isn't there. So if you're looking for evidence that the USC administration wants to continue the ND rivalry, there is none.
Has Notre Dame or USC finalized and published a full 12,game schedule for 2027?

Has Notre Dame or USC finalized and published a full 12,game schedule for 2027?
USC has published an 11-game schedule for 2027. Nine Big Ten games, UNLV and Nevada. No Notre Dame. However UCLA already has a full 12-game schedule for 2027.

Last edited:
NYT article citing "some people are saying" --bad journalism.
Colin Cowherd "why play ND"--search for attention.
New coach--maybe we should look at that--not his job.
Not scheduled in 2027 although every other game is--does necessarily mean anything.
I think it is all fine and the series will continue. But in light of all this, I am not sure USC administration silence is necessarily a good thing.

NYT article citing "some people are saying" --bad journalism.
Colin Cowherd "why play ND"--search for attention.
New coach--maybe we should look at that--not his job.
Not scheduled in 2027 although every other game is--does necessarily mean anything.
I think it is all fine and the series will continue. But in light of all this, I am not sure USC administration silence is necessarily a good thing.
Clicks.

All about clicks.

Notre Dame sells.

Hell, we have Big 10 fans hanging out in this thread sniffing around.

Wow, with a schedule like that, USC could easily wind up 6-6 or even 5-7. And if they're good and DO WELL, no one will be able to accuse them of not having EARNED IT.

I NOTE, though, that their last BIG TEN away game is in mid-October at Maryland, so there's NO ICE BOWL SCENARIO -- short of a conference playoff game -- in their immediate future. And who sees THAT happening?

Was this CLEVER SCHEDULING or largely FORTUITOUS? On the other hand, there's more to winning these games than WEATHER CONDITIONS.

USC has published an 11-game schedule for 2027. Nine Big Ten games, UNLV and Nevada. No Notre Dame. However UCLA already has a full 12-game schedule for 2027.

I've no idea of how this resolves itself. But there's one additional possibility, viz. that the game CEASES TO BE PLAYED ANNUALLY.

Between 1913 and 1947, the BIGGEST GAME on ND's schedule was ARMY. And the two teams played every year during that period except for the war year of 1918. Pitt at times was also a regularly scheduled opponent as was, later, Purdue, MSU and Michigan.

The only team left on ND's schedule which has been a constant since inception is Navy because of the WWII relationship. USC would have turned out likewise but for the WWII interruption due to travel restrictions. In more recent years, Stanford has become an annual game but only since ND figured out it makes sense to end EVERY SEASON in California for recruiting purposes.

I could very easily see a home and home series between ND and USC every 5 years or so. This is neither a prediction nor a preference -- but merely -- as I see it -- a plausbile scenario. Once teams join or change conferences, scheduling patterns are often short-circuited. And given the EXIGENCIES of the sport, NOT ALL RIVALRY GAMES ARE EQUAL.

I've no idea of how this resolves itself. But there's one additional possibility, viz. that the game CEASES TO BE PLAYED ANNUALLY.

Between 1913 and 1947, the BIGGEST GAME on ND's schedule was ARMY. And the two teams played every year during that period except for the war year of 1918. Pitt at times was also a regularly scheduled opponent as was, later, Purdue, MSU and Michigan.

The only team left on ND's schedule which has been a constant since inception is Navy because of the WWII relationship. USC would have turned out likewise but for the WWII interruption due to travel restrictions. In more recent years, Stanford has become an annual game but only since ND figured out it makes sense to end EVERY SEASON in California for recruiting purposes.

I could very easily see a home and home series between ND and USC every 5 years or so. This is neither a prediction nor a preference -- but merely -- as I see it -- a plausbile scenario. Once teams join or change conferences, scheduling patterns are often short-circuited. And given the EXIGENCIES of the sport, NOT ALL RIVALRY GAMES ARE EQUAL.
ND's longest rivalry is Navy (96 games), followed by USC (94), and then Purdue (84). Purdue was a annual football game for many years and about fifty years ago, ND and Purdue were also annual opponents in basketball (23). Circa 1990, there were annual games in women's hoops and that resumes again this year. All sports considered, Purdue is ND's all-time most frequent opponent.

It seems probable that USC will end their annual rivalry with ND. If they planned to continue the series, they would have done so by now. It would be wise for ND's AD to formulate a Plan B. Here is my proposal, which is copied and pasted from an email that I sent to Purdue's AD, Mike Bobinski, earlier this week. Be aware that Bobinski is a Domer. He attended ND on a baseball scholarship. Text begins:

"It appears that the annual rivalry game between Notre Dame and Southern Cal may become unraveled. Neither school has the other on its future schedules after 2026 and USC Coach Lincoln Riley has recently made comments to the effect that discontinuing the series would be a competitive advantage for the Trojans (link below).

"If the ND-USC rivalry game is indeed discontinued, I propose that Purdue and Notre Dame renew their annual rivalry on Thanksgiving weekend with an end-of-season game being played at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indy. An indoor venue would allow for prime time night game in late November and more students of both schools would be in Indy over the extended weekend than on campus.

"Several years ago, I sent an email to then-President Mitch Daniels in which I proposed that the Old Oaken Bucket game be moved to Lucas Oil Stadium on Thanksgiving weekend. I have been to several OOB games in West Lafayette and Bloomington and the stadiums were 20-40% empty with the students away from campus. Mitch responded that Purdue had previously proposed moving the game to Indy but that IU would not agree to do so.

"Thus the annual plan would entail moving the OOB game to the weekend before Thanksgiving, when students would be on campus, and then playing ND the following weekend at Indy. I believe you would agree that having Notre Dame as our end-of-season “archrival” would enhance the stature of Purdue’s football program and of the university itself. And it may well be that your counterpart in South Bend may be developing a scheduling void that needs to be filled."

https://fanrecap.com/notre-dame-fig...campaign=ncaaf-mk&utm_content=664698876970976

Last edited:
I don't see playing ND as a "huge revenue boost" for good programs. For a MAC team? Yes, they will receive a nice payday for scheduling a one and done in South Bend. Just like they would by playing at Indiana. A noticeable attendance bump for a team like Pitt played at Pitt. But, for Power Four teams that sell out anyway (A&M, FSU, Clemson, OSU, Oregon, etc), playing ND at home doesn't add any money for the school. The NETWORK that telecasts ND away games gets a boost, but that money doesn't get paid to the host team.
Then your vision and your conclusion is impaired

ND's longest rivalry is Navy (96 games), followed by USC (94), and then Purdue (84). Purdue was a annual football game for many years and about fifty years ago, ND and Purdue were also annual opponents in basketball (23). Circa 1990, there were annual games in women's hoops and that resumes again this year. All sports considered, Purdue is ND's all-time most frequent opponent.

It seems probable that USC will end their annual rivalry with ND. If they planned to continue the series, they would have done so by now. It would be wise for ND's AD to formulate a Plan B. Here is my proposal, which is copied and pasted from an email that I sent to Purdue's AD, Mike Bobinski, earlier this week. Be aware that Bobinski is a Domer. He attended ND on a baseball scholarship. Text begins:

"It appears that the annual rivalry game between Notre Dame and Southern Cal may become unraveled. Neither school has the other on its future schedules after 2026 and USC Coach Lincoln Riley has recently made comments to the effect that discontinuing the series would be a competitive advantage for the Trojans (link below).

"If the ND-USC rivalry game is indeed discontinued, I propose that Purdue and Notre Dame renew their annual rivalry on Thanksgiving weekend with an end-of-season game being played at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indy. An indoor venue would allow for prime time night game in late November and more students of both schools would be in Indy over the extended weekend than on campus.

"Several years ago, I sent an email to then-President Mitch Daniels in which I proposed that the Old Oaken Bucket game be moved to Lucas Oil Stadium on Thanksgiving weekend. I have been to several OOB games in West Lafayette and Bloomington and the stadiums were 20-40% empty with the students away from campus. Mitch responded that Purdue had previously proposed moving the game to Indy but that IU would not agree to do so.

"Thus the annual plan would entail moving the OOB game to the weekend before Thanksgiving, when students would be on campus, and then playing ND the following weekend at Indy. I believe you would agree that having Notre Dame as our end-of-season “archrival” would enhance the stature of Purdue’s football program and of the university itself. And it may well be that your counterpart in South Bend may be developing a scheduling void that needs to be filled."

https://fanrecap.com/notre-dame-fig...campaign=ncaaf-mk&utm_content=664698876970976
Valid points

CF is changing constantly and ND choosing to remain independent will only hurt them down the road when all the other CF powers will be part of a conference - specifically the massive B1G and SEC conferences. There's already the notion on other boards that ND has their noses up in the air by refusing to stay out of a conference.....just a bad scene for ND
lol, Okie dokie

Hello straw man

USC got screwed by the little10.

And ND will play even a softer schedule (including Miami Ohio, Northern Illinois, Army & Navy) this season.
You, a fan of cheating Harbie and Michigan, with their years of soft schedules, should keep your mouth closed.

We thank you for that

It's a reasonable proposal, particularly for INDIANANS. But for it to generate sufficient excitement, Purdue would need to become a more competitive program. The Purdue of recent years has not been the Purdue OF OLD.

Remember, this would be replacing a storied century-old intersectional rivalry between oft-NC contenders -- one from the heartland of football; the other from the more glamorous West Coast -- a series in which weather has often played a critical role -- with an indoor game on a neutral field that strikes me in comparison on paper as having an almost SYNTHETIC FEEL TO IT.

Again, it's a reasonable proposal and I GET your reasoning, but it wouldn't be MY first choice for a regular season CAPPER. I don't see the SIZZLE, let alone the steak.

It's a reasonable proposal, particularly for INDIANANS. But for it to generate sufficient excitement, Purdue would need to become a more competitive program. The Purdue of recent years has not been the Purdue OF OLD.

Remember, this would be replacing a storied century-old intersectional rivalry between oft-NC contenders -- one from the heartland of football; the other from the more glamorous West Coast -- a series in which weather has often played a critical role -- with an indoor game on a neutral field that strikes me in comparison on paper as having an almost SYNTHETIC FEEL TO IT.

Again, it's a reasonable proposal and I GET your reasoning, but it wouldn't be MY first choice for a regular season CAPPER. I don't see the SIZZLE, let alone the steak.
I fully agree that this proposal would be a step down for ND and their storied rivalry with USC. That's why I called it Plan B. But if USC does indeed terminate their century-old classic with ND, what better option would the Irish have? Stanford? Michigan State? Navy? No rivalry?

There are three factors to consider. (1) It seems that USC will terminate the ND rivalry. (2) Indiana insists on playing the Old Oaken Bucket game on a half-empty campus during turkey weekend. (3) A Purdue-ND resurrection could include not only an annual football game at Lucas but also a home-and home in men’s basketball and a home-and-home in women’s hoops too.

As for being a ". . .reasonable proposal, particularly for INDIANANS. . . ", don't forget that ND is an Indiana school. I tmagine we both agree that the current deal with the ACC has had a variety of drawbacks to include travel logistics, lack of historic rivals and the top brands of the conference squealing to get out.

I fully agree that this proposal would be a step down for ND and their storied rivalry with USC. That's why I called it Plan B. But if USC does indeed terminate their century-old classic with ND, what better option would the Irish have? Stanford? Michigan State? Navy? No rivalry?

There are three factors to consider. (1) It seems that USC will terminate the ND rivalry. (2) Indiana insists on playing the Old Oaken Bucket game on a half-empty campus during turkey weekend. (3) A Purdue-ND resurrection could include not only an annual football game at Lucas but also a home-and home in men’s basketball and a home-and-home in women’s hoops too.

As for being a ". . .reasonable proposal, particularly for INDIANANS. . . ", don't forget that ND is an Indiana school. I tmagine we both agree that the current deal with the ACC has had a variety of drawbacks to include travel logistics, lack of historic rivals and the top brands of the conference squealing to get out.
Who cares, we'll be fine regardless. It doesn't matter. You care more about this than ND fans.

Every conference has their area of the country that cares about them. ND is the only school where everyone cares about them

You're obsessed with us like everyone else and it drives you nuts

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT