ADVERTISEMENT

FS1 Discuss how underrated BK is as HC

Not me ....Brian Kelly though I'm not sure 3 loses gets the Irish a Fiesta/Sugar/whatever at large major bowl would be available.
I will be pulling for them though
Texas got in with 4 losses last year..proof they’re meaningless games.

Not me ....Brian Kelly though I'm not sure 3 loses gets the Irish a Fiesta/Sugar/whatever at large major bowl would be available.
I will be pulling for them though
And Herman has that big bowl
victory to appease the message boards. .. damn I hope ND loses 4 and gets into the Sugar!

Reactions: Pennick4
Texas got in with 4 losses last year..proof they’re meaningless games.
Utterly ridiculous.

Ask the players if it's meaningless.

Texas players sure looked like it meant a lot to them.

Ask our fan, alumni and the BOT who are cashing that fat check if its meaningless.

ND doesn’t get to play the G5 winner or worse P5 team in a major bowl. They always get the best team available. If not, ND has multiple major bowl wins.

BK took over a 15 season poop-fest. He took the challenge that nobody else wanted (Urban Meyer just said this last week in an interview) & made it a top 5 program again, despite all the challenges. The next coach will benefit from it.

BK gets credit for raising the talent level from when he got here. Decent recruiter. But most of the credit for the most significant progress we've seen, which happened in the last 3 years is due to changing offensive and defensive coordinators. Chip Long and Clark Lea/Elko have raised level of both sides of the ball. And Kelly was forced to make this change, or we still might have VanGorder. Kelly would be fired by now if theses guys never came to ND.

Kelly is a terribly average coach and arguable a bad gameday coach. Underrated? … gotta be kidding me

So you’ll be satisfied with an 8-4 regular season and win in a NY6 bowl game? Copy, BK needs to reconsider those 12-0 seasons with a loss in the playoff.
In****ingcredible

ND wont be in a NY6 bowl at 8-4

Moreover.....

I don't care if they go..12-0, 11-1 etc...

Because...

Ready for this....

Their season isn't over at 12 games...meaning they'll be playing in a big bowl game.

That might be playoff or not....so I'd like them to be competitive.

You know...actually have a chabce to win should a fumble go our way...a missed field goal...etc.

Who knows we might actually win.

If its playoffs we advance.

If its not... we'll have done something not done since

Ready for it...

1993 season cotton bowl...and that's win a god damn major bowl game.

Can't be any more clear than that.

C
R
Y
S
T
A
L

I believe BK is the winningest HC active today. His wins in all 3 divisions he has coached in is substantial. He has been 12-0 3 times in the past decade in FBC football. His changes after 2016 have been stunning, He has not had a top 5 program in wins and losses because the administration handcuffs its coach to avoid becoming a mercenary program.

It is amazing that people still argue about whether he is a good coach.
He's a good coach yet far from a great one.

And Herman has that big bowl
victory to appease the message boards. .. damn I hope ND loses 4 and gets into the Sugar!
With conference ties to bowl games ND will never be in the Sugar bowl at 8 and 4 any major bowl for that matter especially with his performance in those games at this point
No one hopes for 8 and 4, but if you start out 4 and 4 ...8 and 4 looks like progress.

If ND loses a Game lets say Ga. and finishes 11 and 1, but due to the performance in the BCS and last season playoff the voters decided to not put them into the playoffs, but gets an at large bid in one of the major bowl and wins?
That would be an elevation on Kellys tenure while at ND don't you think?
11 and 1/ 10 and 2 regardless of the outcome is a very good season.
Top that off with a major bowl win it becomes a great season and as 88 has pointed out it's something that hasn't been done since 93'. That would be the pinnacle of Kellys career with at ND to date

Last edited:
Reactions: rgc7 and 88ND
BK gets credit for raising the talent level from when he got here. Decent recruiter. But most of the credit for the most significant progress we've seen, which happened in the last 3 years is due to changing offensive and defensive coordinators. Chip Long and Clark Lea/Elko have raised level of both sides of the ball. And Kelly was forced to make this change, or we still might have VanGorder. Kelly would be fired by now if theses guys never came to ND.

Kelly is a terribly average coach and arguable a bad gameday coach. Underrated? … gotta be kidding me

This is just ludicrous. You give kelly all the crap and give all the kudos to his assistants. Just laughable. The reality is ND generally has revolving doors at assistant spots. Kelly has brought a vision, a plan, recruiting success, stability, and has navigated multiple assistant defections.

Get over yourselves.

This is just ludicrous. You give kelly all the crap and give all the kudos to his assistants. Just laughable. The reality is ND generally has revolving doors at assistant spots. Kelly has brought a vision, a plan, recruiting success, stability, and has navigated multiple assistant defections.

Get over yourselves.

So you're saying things were the same before and after Long and Elko/Lea got here? ….. yikes

Reactions: rgc7
So you're saying things were the same before and after Long and Elko/Lea got here? ….. yikes
No what im saying is every one of you that constantly complains and gives credit to others are idiots.
Lea has been dc for one year. It looks like a great hire.... By who? Oh right brian kelly when jimbo swiped his other guy.
I love how much everyone loves long and then on gameday when hes pulling guards and not using a lead blocker all of a sudden its kellys offense.

Your basically giving kudos to the guys that kelly brought in and then ragging on kelly when you dont like something. The arguments are laughable. I like every year under kelly better than any year under davies, ty, and charlie. If you dont ... Yikes ....

Also... If your really paying attention since the dc switch we have had horrid db recruiting, next year is a major issue. This year we are depending on a cb2 with two acl tears and an achiles tear.

No what im saying is every one of you that constantly complains and gives credit to others are idiots.
Lea has been dc for one year. It looks like a great hire.... By who? Oh right brian kelly when jimbo swiped his other guy.
I love how much everyone loves long and then on gameday when hes pulling guards and not using a lead blocker all of a sudden its kellys offense.

Your basically giving kudos to the guys that kelly brought in and then ragging on kelly when you dont like something. The arguments are laughable. I like every year under kelly better than any year under davies, ty, and charlie. If you dont ... Yikes ....
Yikes?
Zoikes?
Pow?
Bang?

Brian Kelly goes through the same thing as every other college coach.

They hire, the hired leaves for greener pastures.

Rinse and repeat.

Teams deal with it without excusing.

Could BK go too any top 3 school and win? Could any top 3 head coach come here and win.
Doesn't work like that.

Nothing is automatic.

Define win...win what?

A title?

Who the hell knows.

One person I could say might be able to is Urban Meyer just because he's won at the highest level at every stop he's made.

The better question is this...

Could the top 3 coaches come here and play anyone in the country and give our team a chance to win.

In other words if Dabo has the 18 Irish and Kelly had the 18 Ckenson Tigers....

Do you really think Dabo loses to Brian Kelly 30-3?

No ****ing way in hell.

From what I rave been reading in this thread, No one is disagreeing that Kelly is a good coach.
No one is saying that Kelly has not greatly improved ND football.
The only disagreement is just how good of a coach Kelly really is ! I see Kelly as a good to even very good Coach, but nowhere near an elite coach.
Can this be the year ND wins it all ? Could be ? In spite of the weaknesses that I and other ND fans
See and have debated on this board, I believe that ND can beat every team on pur schedule, but to do so
ND must show great improvement over their performance against Louisville !
Should be interesting seeing just how we progress from game to game ?

From what I rave been reading in this thread, No one is disagreeing that Kelly is a good coach.
No one is saying that Kelly has not greatly improved ND football.
The only disagreement is just how good of a coach Kelly really is ! I see Kelly as a good to even very good Coach, but nowhere near an elite coach.
Can this be the year ND wins it all ? Could be ? In spite of the weaknesses that I and other ND fans
See and have debated on this board, I believe that ND can beat every team on pur schedule, but to do so
ND must show great improvement over their performance against Louisville !
Should be interesting seeing just how we progress from game to game ?
And that's the thing.

Everyone here is rooting for the same thing.

Some here refuse to see reality of the past ten years.

Others feel he's burned his bridge of credibility and optimism.

While we still root hard getting blown out in those moments are mo longer surprising.

Sadly it's become expected and nobody did that but Brian Kelly.

Your basically giving kudos to the guys that kelly brought in and then ragging on kelly when you dont like something. The arguments are laughable. I like every year under kelly better than any year under davies, ty, and charlie. If you dont ... Yikes ....[/QUOT

Kelly was forced to hire those guys. Elko and Lea came in together running the same system, so Lea just picked up and continued with same scheme. And it is night and day better. You don't realize that if they let Kelly do things his way that we could still possibly have VanGorder?

And No, I'm not saying what you're saying. Elko/Lea saved the defense …. period. Kelly coaches defense … ZERO .... it has always been that way. Chip Long improved the offense, brought in a short ydg package for starters and would be doing overall better if Kelly could keep his hands off, but he can't.

What is laughable is you and the fact I have to explain this. No clue.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Also... If your really paying attention since the dc switch we have had horrid db recruiting, next year is a major issue. This year we are depending on a cb2 with two acl tears and an achiles tear.

In the end the defense is better and it's not even close, even with a so called db shortage. That should tell you something but I'm betting it doesn't.

Kelly was forced to hire those guys. Elko and Lea came in together running the same system, so Lea just picked up and continued with same scheme. And it is night and day better. You don't realize that if they let Kelly do things his way that we could still possibly have VanGorder?

And No, I'm not saying what you're saying. Elko/Lea saved the defense …. period. Kelly coaches defense … ZERO .... it has always been that way. Chip Long improved the offense, brought in a short ydg package for starters and would be doing overall better if Kelly could keep his hands off, but he can't.

Good one moron. Remember 2012... We did play defense right? Oh yeah.

Kelly should be criticized for keeping van gorder and he was fired too late but was fired for his performance.

I think its laughable you think that kelly didnt have a major say in both dc and oc that were brought in.

Do you truly think the nd administration and ad made those hires in a vacuum?

In the end the defense is better and it's not even close, even with a so called db shortage. That should tell you something but I'm betting it doesn't.
It tells me one guy was fired by kelly and his replacement supposedly force on him lasted one year. Kelly then hired lea. If lea las not comfortable with kelly would he have broken with elko.

Seriously even you critiques at this level of kelly are laughable.

Lol. If you think that kelly would have kept van gorder your dumber than your posts. Kelly would have been fired by now if he stayed. Bet you would then be complaining about his replacements play calling and hires, because obviously you are a star armchair qb.

With conference ties to bowl games ND will never be in the Sugar bowl at 8 and 4 any major bowl for that matter especially with his performance in those games at this point
No one hopes for 8 and 4, but if you start out 4 and 4 ...8 and 4 looks like progress.

If ND loses a Game lets say Ga. and finishes 11 and 1, but due to the performance in the BCS and last season playoff the voters decided to not put them into the playoffs, but gets an at large bid in one of the major bowl and wins?
That would be an elevation on Kellys tenure while at ND don't you think?
11 and 1/ 10 and 2 regardless of the outcome is a very good season.
Top that off with a major bowl win it becomes a great season and as 88 has pointed out it's something that hasn't been done since 93'. That would be the pinnacle of Kellys career with at ND to date
You are completely missing the point.. it is not about if ND gets in a major bowl with 2,3,4 losses. This argument is about BK not having a major bowl win.. Tom Herman got one last year with an 8-4 regular season.. my point is why should this major bowl win add to his resume when by all accounts, a NYE6 game means ND did not reach their goals.

Sorry but the major bowl win means nothing to me as it pertains to an ND coaches resume. Yes it means extra $ and practice time.. that’s a given.

You are completely missing the point.. it is not about if ND gets in a major bowl with 2,3,4 losses. This argument is about BK not having a major bowl win.. Tom Herman got one last year with an 8-4 regular season.. my point is why should this major bowl win add to his resume when by all accounts, a NYE6 game means ND did not reach their goals.

Sorry but the major bowl win means nothing to me as it pertains to an ND coaches resume. Yes it means extra $ and practice time.. that’s a given.
Not when you compare his achievements to the top coaches in the country. Being blown out in every major bowl sinces he's been coaching in D1 will be considered when looking at his resume

Reactions: rgc7 and 8th Man
There are both kind of important. Kelly is losing the major bowl games against Clemson Alabama. And Kelly is splitting the games with texas-oklahoma Michigan Stanford and southern California. So we're going to be good but not good enough for a while.

Lol. If you think that kelly would have kept van gorder your dumber than your posts. Kelly would have been fired by now if he stayed. Bet you would then be complaining about his replacements play calling and hires, because obviously you are a star armchair qb.

You'll never know if he would've gotten rid of him and can only speculate because he was forced to get rid of him before he did on his own. Period. Ironic you would call someone else an armchair qb. Unlike you, I'm talking about what actually happened and not what "might" have happened.

It tells me one guy was fired by kelly and his replacement supposedly force on him lasted one year. Kelly then hired lea. If lea las not comfortable with kelly would he have broken with elko.

Lea was offered a head DC position, a promotion, to run the same defense he was already running. Also knowing he was working for a coach that is TOTALLY hands off on defense. Who wouldn't do that? The attraction for working under Kelly is no interference. How does make Kelly underrated? Your lost.

Good one moron. Remember 2012... We did play defense right? Oh yeah.

Kelly should be criticized for keeping van gorder and he was fired too late but was fired for his performance.

I think its laughable you think that kelly didnt have a major say in both dc and oc that were brought in.

Do you truly think the nd administration and ad made those hires in a vacuum?

VanGorder was fired for his performance but not by Kelly who by keeping him was apparently satisfied with what he was getting. Good thing the University forced his hand. Those guys saved his job.

Remember we are talking about a guy who threw the ball 45 times in a hurricane against an inferior NC State. Also the same guy who let Rees as a frosh fresh off the bench throw that INT against Tulsa when we had it won. And after the game said HE WOULD DO IT AGAIN! …. LOL!

You don't see that being reduced to calling people names means you're losing this discussion. Badly

Not when you compare his achievements to the top coaches in the country. Being blown out in every major bowl sinces he's been coaching in D1 will be considered when looking at his resume
Massive difference between getting pounded by the national champ in Clemson and Bama than winning a NY6 bowl against a 3-loss team.. right? Maybe I’m a lunatic but can’t comprehend how winning a NY6 game and going 11-2 is better than 12-1 with a beat down from the champ.

Massive difference between getting pounded by the national champ in Clemson and Bama than winning a NY6 bowl against a 3-loss team.. right? Maybe I’m a lunatic but can’t comprehend how winning a NY6 game and going 11-2 is better than 12-1 with a beat down from the champ.
Unfortunately BK has not won a NY6 bowl or been competitive in playoffs.

If it’s on FS1 it must be true!
B. K. has many restrictions coaching at N. D. . The two really good seasons he has had the usual good programs were having down years . I don't think that is the case this year. Lets see what happens .

As true as that might be i believe the perception will depend on each individual looking at it more one way than another

Last edited:

Everyone is happy at the end of the season. The bowl winner gets good press, some off season momentum, and pads their historical statistics. That's why the bowl system is one of the things unique to college football that makes it better for everyone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT