ADVERTISEMENT

FS1 Discuss how underrated BK is as HC

NDAFArly

I've posted how many times?
May 25, 2016
Fast forward to about 4:30 mark.
They talk about how great Brian Kelly is.

Wow. That’s awesome. Thanks for sharing. I agree w it all. BK can flat out coach, no doubt about it.

Reactions: Pennick4
I think BK has come a long way. His downfall before was allowing his friends to run the show to an extent, now he’s extremely hands on and hiring the best coaches he can.

His last hurdle to become elite is the qb position. So so important in college and he hasn’t completely figured out how to develop them at ND as they get more playing time.

Reactions: rgc7 and jcswoopnh
I think BK has come a long way. His downfall before was allowing his friends to run the show to an extent, now he’s extremely hands on and hiring the best coaches he can.

His last hurdle to become elite is the qb position. So so important in college and he hasn’t completely figured out how to develop them at ND as they get more playing time.
His last hurdle is to win a major bowl game imo. A good QB (which Book is)with good support around him with a good defense can achieve that

I've also said BK doesn't get enough credit for the success he's brought to Notre Dame. It was funny watching him try not to lose his s**t in the first quarter. It's like you could see the red start from his neck and slowly work it's way up. Ha-ha!

Nice Catch Farley. I totally agree-- and so do most of the coaches in college football. But he needs to win another big season win (a la Oklahoma, kicking Stoops' ass at home, LOL!).

This year (given all of the early injuries) will test him.

Reactions: rgc7
the record speaks for itself. Brian Kelly is a good coach. He is not a great coach. His teams often come up short in big games. Coaching matters and it matters even more at ND. If the goal is to win an average of 8-9 games a year and every so often 10 or more, then Kelly has done a very good job. If the goal is to be elite and win 10 plus games annually and be in the national championship conversation most years, then Kelly hasn't lived up to that standard. Still, he is the best coach they have had since Lou Holtz. The big question is, can Kelly lead the Irish to a national championship ? So far the answer is no. I hope he can at some point.

Last edited:
Yawnimg...

Let's see...they said the SEC at the very top is the best conference but not collectively.

I've said that two years running.

They said Brian Kelly is just amazing because he adjusted to a disastrous first quarter?

It's the first ****ing game of the year.

What if Louisville goes or 4-8?

Are we still showering Brian Kelly with this nonsense?

Football is always about adjustments.

If he was so amazing he would've adjusted something to score more than 3 points against Clemson. ..in other words scored more than 7 points less than Pitt got against Clemson in the slop.

What else...

They said Lincoln Riley is the top coach of the also ands...

Yep been saying that for a year.

He adjusted against a Loiusville team that most say is pretty bad.

Hold the phone and stop the presses.

Mr. Adjustment apparently can do that just don't ask him to keep a major bowl game close with 6 weeks prep time. Forget winning...he can't even keep them close.

0-5 with 5 blood baths.

I've also said BK doesn't get enough credit for the success he's brought to Notre Dame. It was funny watching him try not to lose his s**t in the first quarter. It's like you could see the red start from his neck and slowly work it's way up. Ha-ha!
I actually enjoyed it when he coached with emotion. For some reason, his teams have lacked the killer instinct. So many times ND has had the chance to put a game away only to take the peddle off the gas. I wouldn't mind a few more ass kickers on the team either.

Fast forward to about 4:30 mark.
They talk about how great Brian Kelly is.

This is a joke right? The same coach who threw 45 times in a hurricane …. literally …. against an inferior NC State team. Underrated? ........Do we really need to list everything from over 10 years?

Careful …. Farley could be getting ready to try and sell more subscriptions to the site.

What's the over/under for underrated coaches for how many times a coach sends his offense out for the 1st play of a game and has to take a time out because they don't know what they're doing?

I believe BK is the winningest HC active today. His wins in all 3 divisions he has coached in is substantial. He has been 12-0 3 times in the past decade in FBC football. His changes after 2016 have been stunning, He has not had a top 5 program in wins and losses because the administration handcuffs its coach to avoid becoming a mercenary program.

It is amazing that people still argue about whether he is a good coach.

I believe BK is the winningest HC active today. His wins in all 3 divisions he has coached in is substantial. He has been 12-0 3 times in the past decade in FBC football. His changes after 2016 have been stunning, He has not had a top 5 program in wins and losses because the administration handcuffs its coach to avoid becoming a mercenary program.

It is amazing that people still argue about whether he is a good coach.

I don't believe many people are saying he's not a good coach, but a great coach?
A great coach would of won at least one major bowl convincingly don't you think?
There are several D1 HCs that have won multiple major bowls are they just as great?

I don't believe many people are saying he's not a good coach, but a great coach?
A great coach would of won at least one major bowl convincingly don't you think?
There are several D1 HCs that have won multiple major bowls are they just as great?

ND doesn’t get to play the G5 winner or worse P5 team in a major bowl. They always get the best team available. If not, ND has multiple major bowl wins.

BK took over a 15 season poop-fest. He took the challenge that nobody else wanted (Urban Meyer just said this last week in an interview) & made it a top 5 program again, despite all the challenges. The next coach will benefit from it.

There’s gotta be some area between good and great.. A lot of “good” coaches out there that BK is better than. But ‘great’ also ensues the same category as Saban and Urban.

Many also refer to Leach, Wittingham, etc as great. Many qualify great coaching beyond wins and losses believe it or not. Some teach and understand the game. So many variables here.

I mean if I retired with BKs pedigree and record, I’d be feeling pretty ‘great’.

There’s gotta be some area between good and great.. A lot of “good” coaches out there that BK is better than. But ‘great’ also ensues the same category as Saban and Urban.

Many also refer to Leach, Wittingham, etc as great. Many qualify great coaching beyond wins and losses believe it or not. Some teach and understand the game. So many variables here.

I mean if I retired with BKs pedigree and record, I’d be feeling pretty ‘great’.

Saban is legendary with his success. Urban is elite, bordering on legendary.
BK is great.

Reactions: bizzybecknd
ND doesn’t get to play the G5 winner or worse P5 team in a major bowl. They always get the best team available. If not, ND has multiple major bowl wins.

BK took over a 15 season poop-fest. He took the challenge that nobody else wanted (Urban Meyer just said this last week in an interview) & made it a top 5 program again, despite all the challenges. The next coach will benefit from it.
Geez
What major bowl would ND have won?

Geez
What major bowl would ND have won?

Geez
Can you be more butt-hurt right now?

But to answer your question...

How about 2015 when FSU with Golsen as their QB, who didn’t play in the Bowl game vs Houston.
That was a NY6 game among two crappy teams. ND beats both.
Instead, ND gets OSU, who most think is the best team in college football at the time.

Or how about instead of Bama in the BCS title game in 2012, playing Kansas St.?

Or last year, not playing in the CFP, & instead playing a lesser team in the NY6 games. In fact, ND beat a NY6 team in Michigan 24-17.
In 2017 ND beat NY6 team USC 49-14.

Just looking at the “major bowl” schedules over the years, ND beat many NY6 teams.

Reactions: bizzybecknd
Saban is legendary with his success. Urban is elite, bordering on legendary.
BK is great.

Then would Shaw be a great coach considering the academic standards are higher at Stanford and he's won two Rose Bowls and i believe he's 4-3 against Kelly
Patterson though doesn't have the academic restriction ND has won a major bowl is he great?
Where would you put Pete Carroll?
Mack Brown?
Jimbo Fisher?

Words like great should be put in its proper context and if Kelly is great in your view then there's alot of great coaches out there still coaching.
If/when Kelly wins a major bowl game it will put him statistically with those who have.
Finishing second doesn't make you great especially when you are blown out when you show up

Last edited:
Reactions: rgc7 and 88ND

Excuses...

Stop the nonsense

You'd think after 5 attempts he'd have had one close major bowl contest by now.

Forget winning.

Just a close game.

N
O
P
E

He's perfect. 5 big bowls, 5 big blowouts.

Then would Shaw be a great coach considering the academic standards are higher at Stanford and he's won two Rose Bowls and i believe he's 4-3 against Kelly
Patterson though doesn't have the academic restriction ND has won a major bowl is he great?
Where would you put Pete Carroll?
Mack Brown?
Jimbo Fisher?

Words like great should be put in its proper context and if Kelly is great in your view then there's alot of great coaches out there still coaching.
If/when Kelly wins a major bowl game it wlll put him statistically with those who have.
Finishing second doesn't nake you great especially when you are blown out when you show up
Yep...

I don't understand this fascination with celebrating second place or almost.

WTF.

Second place is the first loser.

In our case we don't even lose with dignity.

We get embarrassed then whip the excuses out of the holster.

And then it's celebrated on top of that.

Geez
Can you be more butt-hurt right now?

But to answer your question...

How about 2015 when FSU with Golsen as their QB, who didn’t play in the Bowl game vs Houston.
That was a NY6 game among two crappy teams. ND beats both.
Instead, ND gets OSU, who most think is the best team in college football at the time.

Or how about instead of Bama in the BCS title game in 2012, playing Kansas St.?

Or last year, not playing in the CFP, & instead playing a lesser team in the NY6 games. In fact, ND beat a NY6 team in Michigan 24-17.
In 2017 ND beat NY6 team USC 49-14.

Just looking at the “major bowl” schedules over the years, ND beat many NY6 teams.
Butt hurt?
About what?
You are living in the but, and if world.
I'm basing it on facts.

Excuses...

Stop the nonsense

You'd think after 5 attempts he'd have had one close major bowl contest by now.

Forget winning.

Just a close game.

N
O
P
E

He's perfect. 5 big bowls, 5 big blowouts.
That's just the ugly truth of it and i was pulling hard for Notre Dame in those games. Feeling like crap after them.
I'm not rooting against Kelly but this love affair with what ifs are just excuses.
I hope like hell the irish win the NC and all those who believe i am wrong can blather all winter long about DIP knows nothing.
All the while i will be happy ND has finally reached the mountain top again.

Last edited:
If BK wins a major bowl, that meant he failed and didn’t make the playoffs/BCS. The bowl game means nothing.. you who spout the lack of bowl game Ws are the same who compare ND to Bama and say all or nothing.

Yep...

I don't understand this fascination with celebrating second place or almost.

WTF.

Second place is the first loser.

In our case we don't even lose with dignity.

We get embarrassed then whip the excuses out of the holster.

And then it's celebrated on top of that.
Sooo last year we should have gotten beaten by Michigan to secure a spot outside the playoff to avoid The National Champ who beat Bama by 30.. all in order to win a major bowl game against Florida? Got it,. You’re a gem

That's just the ugly truth of it and i was pulling hard for Notre Dame in those games. Feeling like crap after them.
I'm not rooting against Kelly but this love affair with what ifs are just excuses.
I hope like hell the irish win the NC and all those who believe i am wrong can blather all winter long about DIP knows nothing.
That's the thing....
Most of these tee ball trophy lovers think we just throw a big fiesta when we lose or secretly hope we get demolished so we can gloat.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

We are realists and I guarantee you that we root
every bit as gard as anyone for ND to win and win big.

I don't offer excuses. Don't have time for it.

If we have a higher standard of admissions then we need to do it better than the other guy. It's that simple.

You could technically start making excuses for everyone and theyr admissions.

Team A lost to Team B

But Team A needs 15 points higher SAT score than Team B so Team A should get the love shower.

W
T
F
E

I don't hear Shaw make excuses.

He's had some competitive big bowl games. Kelly hadn't had 1.
Shaw even won a big bowl not once but twice.

Pat Fitzgerald ...

After last year's Big Ten Title game loss to OSU he could have pissed and moaned or cried around about admissions and having to play future convenient store clerks with his differebt aisle personnel.

I'd actually have more respect for Brian Kelly if he'd lose the excuses. His little trying hard fan club does him no favors by celebrating mediocre football.

Kind of funny how they'll say look at the last two years.

Yeah...how about 3 years ago. A seasoned professional that went 4-8 at the university of Notre Dame.

Seriously...now it's like they celebrate him bringing in a strength coach.

WTF. We need to celebrate him doing things that every god damn coach in all division from 1 to D3 are doing.

Oh well...

Go Irish

Sooo last year we should have gotten beaten by Michigan to secure a spot outside the playoff to avoid The National Champ who beat Bama by 30.. all in order to win a major bowl game against Florida? Got it,. You’re a gem
WTF are you talking about.

Its friday night and you sound drunk...

Either follow along and make sense or just keep drinking and quit posting.

The playoff is a major bowl game IMO chief.

And Bama lost by 28, but they outgained Clemson and had 5 mins more TOP.

Bama outgained us 2:1.

We're still trying to cross the 50 yard line.

6 weeks to prepare.

3 points.

7 points less than the Pitt Panthers scored against Clemson.

In the slop with 1 week to prepare.

We had a month to focus on one ****ing team and all we could muster was a field goal.

3 ****ing points in 2018 college football.

The Citadel scored 10 points at halftime against Alabama. Yep...division IAA Citadel. 10 points.

Us....

3 points with a month of prep time.

Oh well.

Celebrate that brotha

Last edited:
Reactions: spenna and rgc7
If BK wins a major bowl, that meant he failed and didn’t make the playoffs/BCS. The bowl game means nothing.. you who spout the lack of bowl game Ws are the same who compare ND to Bama and say all or nothing.

I agree somewhat.

In the 80s and 90s it was all, or nothing. Now winning a major bowl game would be a big step forward.
If the major bowl win was the first round in a playoff game that would be great don't you think

I agree in a sense.
In the 80s and 90s it was all, or nothing. Now winning a major bowl game would be a big step forward.
If the major bowl win was the first round in a playoff game that would be great don't you think
Well if ND loses 2-3 games, you’ll get your shot at a major bowl and a ‘step forward’.

No!!!

Are you ok? Seriously...are you alright?

The playoffs are major bowl games.

So either way...

Makimg the playoff or just outside in a major bowl that isn't in that years rotation of playoff destinations....

How about just competing and having a hard fought game that is close.

Just once.

So far in his career he's 0-5 with 5 lopsided games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT