ADVERTISEMENT

Estime 40

Huge Jerome Bettis fan as a CFB RB. Top 3 I have ever watched in a ND uniform.
Me too and though I am now way a Steelers fan it impressed me what he did there.
The right team with the right HC, at the right time

Bettis ran in the 4.7's. Tony Rice ran a 4.7 at the combine. Ricky Watters ran a 4.71.

Watters then gained over 10,000 yds. rushing (plus hefty receiving yards) and may be the only player who's gained 1,000 or more yards for three different teams: SF, Philly, Seattle.

Rice and Watters were "officially" 4.5 guys coming into ND. But then, every running back EVER RECRUITED is supposedly 4.5 or better.

But is anyone thinking about how immeasureable in "REAL TIME" two-tenths of a second is?

One guy who was DEFINITELY TOP DRAWER FAST as an RB was Julius Jones who ran a 4.39. But again, we're talking tenths if not hundredths of a second.

Just for the record, here are some others. Some of these numbers are as per single runs; others composites.

Mark Green -- 4.62

Rocket -- 4.28

Tim Brown -- 4.39

Greg Bell -- 4.63

Darius Walker -- 4.56/4.61

Cierre Wood -- 4.46

Joey Getherall -- 4.38

Josh Adams -- 4.51

Willie Clark -- 4.44

Jeff Burris -- 4.59

Tony Brooks -- 4.77

Tom Zbikowski -- 4.54

Golden Tate -- 4.42

Allen Rossum -- 4.57

Jonas Gray -- 4.58

Michael Floyd -- 4.47

Dexter Williams -- 4.57

Harrison Smith -- 4.57

Juian Love -- 4.54/4.45

Kyle Hamilton -- 4.59
ND has a track record of being “slow”. However they also have a track record of producing “slow” all pros that are vastly underrated and become pivotal game changers on NFL rosters. So, I guess I’ll take our chances with “slow”.

Kyren and Kyle are only the most recent “slow” best rookies in the league. It’s a ND trend that I’m fine with. “Speed” is a stupid measurement with the broadest differential and room for day to day error.

For instance, a DL that didn’t take creatine or get enough sleep might put up 225 26 times instead of 28 times and nobody cares. That same guy can’t sleep because of nerves and runs a 4.76 instead of a 4.58 and everyone shits on them.

My take, watch the ****ing tape.

Last edited:
ND has a track record of being “slow”. However they also have a track record of producing “slow” all pros that are vastly underrated and become pivotal game changers on NFL rosters. So, I guess I’ll take our chances with “slow”.

Kyren and Kyle are only the most recent “slow” best rookies in the league. It’s a ND trend that I’m fine with. “Speed” is a stupid measurement with the broadest differential and room for day to day error.

For instance, a DL that didn’t take creatine or get enough sleep might put up 225 26 times instead of 28 times and nobody cares. That same guy can’t sleep because of nerves and runs a 4.76 instead of a 4.58 and everyone shits on them.

My take, watch the ****ing tape.
So what 40 time would eliminate a RB from consideration by an NFL team

He’s looking at UDFA! No college RB has ran a 40-time slower than 4.65 and been drafted since 2015. he can still make an NFL roster but he’s got a lot of work to do.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
He’s looking at UDFA! No college RB has ran a 40-time slower than 4.65 and been drafted since 2015. he can still make an NFL roster but he’s got a lot of work to do.
No chance he goes undrafted.

You're way overreacting or being sarcastic

Either way he's still likely to go in first 5 rounds

4.71, last of the RBs. Plays much faster on the field but this likely knocks him down to 5th round area.
He doesn't play faster than that 4.71. He can still have a productive NFL career but he has never been a player that has a crazy burst. He is a build up speed guy.

I can remember several runs throughout his career at ND when he "broke" into the open he look fast enough For the NFL

He'll have a chance to improve that number at his pro day. His vertical and broad jump were both good numbers
He will have a chance, but if that's where he was testing he shouldn't have ran at the combine. Should have "pulled a hammy" or something and saved it for pro day.

It was a mistake to run if he was testing pre combine slower than 4.65, which I think I saw in the last few years no rb over that level has been drafted.

He may have relegated himself to a big back role. I hope he's working with a trainer and shows out at pro day.

He will have a chance, but if that's where he was testing he shouldn't have ran at the combine. Should have "pulled a hammy" or something and saved it for pro day.

It was a mistake to run if he was testing pre combine slower than 4.65, which I think I saw in the last few years no rb over that level has been drafted.

He may have relegated himself to a big back role. I hope he's working with a trainer and shows out at pro day.
Kyren ran a 4.65 at combine then a 4.54 at pro day

What he runs will only affect his draft stock. What role he has will be settled at camp

Kyren ran a 4.65 at combine then a 4.54 at pro day

What he runs will only affect his draft stock. What role he has will be settled at camp
Not necessarily.

Pro day isn't the same as the combine. At the combine most teams will make their minds up about those players.

If estime improves to 4.61... he's still likely to be regulated to a perceived big back role. Of course when he gets on a team that could change, but that perception will seriously impact his draft value.

Not necessarily.

Pro day isn't the same as the combine. At the combine most teams will make their minds up about those players.

If estime improves to 4.61... he's still likely to be regulated to a perceived big back role. Of course when he gets on a team that could change, but that perception will seriously impact his draft value.
Yes it will impact his draft position

It won't have any effect on how a team decides to use him once he is on a roster

He doesn't play faster than that 4.71. He can still have a productive NFL career but he has never been a player that has a crazy burst. He is a build up speed guy.
I guess that's fair enough, but can he still be an effective RB? He's obviously a big back where they're not expecting breakaway speed. They're a cutoff point, I suppose, where you're simply too slow, regardless of the particular skill set. But I think 4.7 is well below that.

Why do we even care what people run the 40 in? All the 40 is is straight line speed. Who in the NFL runs in a straight line? I looked up the average NFL players average 40 times and according to a 5 year combine report it is between 4.48 and 4.98 seconds. So he has average NFL speed. It’s what he does with that speed that matters.

Why do we even care what people run the 40 in? All the 40 is is straight line speed. Who in the NFL runs in a straight line? I looked up the average NFL players average 40 times and according to a 5 year combine report it is between 4.48 and 4.98 seconds. So he has average NFL speed. It’s what he does with that speed that matters.
You have to judge it positionally. It's a good tool to use but it's not the end all be all

It’s also referred to as “breakaway speed”

A back that can’t be caught from behind is preferred to one who can be caught from behind

Linebackers and defensive lineman are incredibly fast in the modern NFL

Hence a running back’s speed is very important

Ergo, the 40

Much faster when 240-275 lb. Opponents are chasing him!
Years ago I believe Jerry Allen who played for the Redskins had or tied the record for the longest run or reception at 99 yards
He showed me a photo where he’s getting ready to cross the goal line.

And right behind him is Dick Butkus

Jerry told me he ran faster because Butkus was screaming and yelling at him that he was gonna kill him when he caught him.

Jerry said that when he looked back and saw it was Butkus that more adrenaline kicked in

Fear can be a great motivator ! 😜

• Haha
Reactions: d1042 and tbonesays
As another poster said, watch the tape. These sacred measurables that some obsess over don’t always tell the whole story. Estime ran away from many DBs last season. He has a chance to be good whether he runs a 4.7 or a 4.5. It’s always nice to have more speed, but on the field speed doesn’t always translate into 40 times. I think he’s plenty fast enough to succeed if he’s off the charts in other areas, vision, toughness, pass pro, etc… We’ll see.

Reactions: BGI User 756
He sat out the bowl game to train for the combine and then posts a poor 40? What was he doing the last few months? Did he have to train so hard just to post a 4.71?

Reactions: bizzybecknd
As another poster said, watch the tape. These sacred measurables that some obsess over don’t always tell the whole story. Estime ran away from many DBs last season. He has a chance to be good whether he runs a 4.7 or a 4.5. It’s always nice to have more speed, but on the field speed doesn’t always translate into 40 times. I think he’s plenty fast enough to succeed if he’s off the charts in other areas, vision, toughness, pass pro, etc… We’ll see.
Even if he can't run away from DBs, they're not looking for home runs typically, from someone like Estime. I sure thought he looked impressive as hell last season, and even though that definitely doesn't always predict NFL success, I think he's got a great shot. I'd like to think so at least. I suppose we had a pretty good line.

In any case, if some team's looking for a rugged big back who's pretty tough to bring down, is pretty physical and tough in general, and has a decent wiggle for a player of his ilk, you could do worse than Estime. He seems like such a good guy, I hope he can stick. And that probably counts for something too. Probably a great teammate and a hard worker who doesn't underachieve.

Reactions: francade
It’s also referred to as “breakaway speed”

A back that can’t be caught from behind is preferred to one who can be caught from behind

Linebackers and defensive lineman are incredibly fast in the modern NFL

Hence a running back’s speed is very important

Ergo, the 40
Like you've posted earlier, everyone is fast in the NFL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT