ADVERTISEMENT

Estime 40

There’s track speed and football speed. Kyren, Audric and Hamilton all ran disappointing 40s but look fast on the field. Jerry Rice ran a 4.7, it’s more about the guys running 4.3s in speedos that aren’t nearly as fast on the field.
Look fast” ?

Estime isn’t faster on the field and he doesn’t “look fast”

You are what your time says you are

Reactions: NDinNJ and 4-4-3
No you’re not, on the football field Estime may run a 4.75 but the dude in a bikini who ran a 4.3 at the combine may run a 4.55 in full pads. Track speed doesn’t = football speed and vice versa. Keep up Sleepy Joe
Nice false hypothetical premise, Estime only losses 4/100s of a second but the other prospective NFL player loses more than 6 times what Estime lost.

But he looks slow, right !

Reactions: NDinNJ
There’s track speed and football speed. Kyren, Audric and Hamilton all ran disappointing 40s but look fast on the field. Jerry Rice ran a 4.7, it’s more about the guys running 4.3s in speedos that aren’t nearly as fast on the field.
To be fair, I don't think Estime even looks that fast, nor does Kyren for that matter. But in both their cases, and in very different ways, speed is not their game. Especially in the case of Estime.

Neither Audric or Kyren look fast on a football field. Will Fuller looked fast.

And 4.59 for Kyle Hamilton playing safety is a helluva lot better than Estime and 4.71 at running back.

Poor Sleepy Joe, doesn’t comprehend that 40 times don’t always correlate to the football field.
That just goes to show how little you know about football.

The 40 times are run by football players trying to gain entry to the NFL, not your average players

if 40 times are unimportant why are they a critical NFL metric?

stick to something that you might know something about like vacuuming and doing the dishes ! 😜

He was never going in the first rd. He can go anywhere from late 2nd to the 5th rd
I agree and Most teams don't draft RBs in the first round. It's become a dime a dozen position. WR, QB, OT are usually the majority of first round picks on offense.

Yeah you're wrong. They have gps to track his top speed and he had one of the fastest speeds on the entire team when he ran for 75 against nc state
You can spin a 4.71 40 yard dash for a RB all you want. It's slow.

Do I believe Audric will make an NFL roster? I do.

No you’re not, on the football field Estime may run a 4.75 but the dude in a bikini who ran a 4.3 at the combine may run a 4.55 in full pads. Track speed doesn’t = football speed and vice versa. Keep up Sleepy Joe
Using your bikini example -- which I agree with -- Estime might run only 4.9 in pads.

I ran both track and played RB in high school. I always felt I was running FASTER in pads vs. my opponents but never finished higher than third in the 100 in track meets.

Once you get into competition, it's relative. In football, angles of pursuit also factor in. And for some guys, their best times are in the 10 or 20 yard dash. Quick-twitchers who don't have the power to keep it going.

If you watch this Kyren Williams' 90-something-yard run vs. North Carolina, he actually appears to me to be moving faster AFTER 40 yards.

Kyren Williams

Clocked times are an INDICATOR, but they don't necessarily denote OVERALL VALUE.

It’s not a good 40 time. It doesn’t mean he’s slow, it just means he takes a little bit longer to reach his top speed.

Against NC State he ran 20.9 mph. The average NFL running back reaches a top speed of 20.09 mph. He’s fine.

Reactions: 4-4-3
That just goes to show how little you know about football.

The 40 times are run by football players trying to gain entry to the NFL, not your average players

if 40 times are unimportant why are they a critical NFL metric?

stick to something that you might know something about like vacuuming and doing the dishes ! 😜

Reactions: BGI User 756
Using your bikini example -- which I agree with -- Estime might run only 4.9 in pads.

I ran both track and played RB in high school. I always felt I was running FASTER in pads vs. my opponents but never finished higher than third in the 100 in track meets.

Once you get into competition, it's relative. In football, angles of pursuit also factor in. And for some guys, their best times are in the 10 or 20 yard dash. Quick-twitchers who don't have the power to keep it going.

If you watch this Kyren Williams' 90-something-yard run vs. North Carolina, he actually appears to me to be moving faster AFTER 40 yards.

Kyren Williams

Clocked times are an INDICATOR, but they don't necessarily denote OVERALL VALUE.
"It's play speed, more for us. What am I watching when I'm at a game live?" Buffalo Bills general manager Brandon Beane said. "Do you feel that guy's speed jump off when you're on the field? You can see it on tape, the guys that have it. I've seen guys that are 4.4, but they don't play 4.4, they play 4.5 because they're thinking too much or they just don't have a good feel for the game.

You can spin a 4.71 40 yard dash for a RB all you want. It's slow.

Do I believe Audric will make an NFL roster? I do.
It's not good. That wasn't a spin

His top speed in football pads was elite.

Also at the combine, his vertical, broad jump and bench press were very good

He did really well except for 1 thing, the 40.

But he can improve that at his pro day

"It's play speed, more for us. What am I watching when I'm at a game live?" Buffalo Bills general manager Brandon Beane said. "Do you feel that guy's speed jump off when you're on the field? You can see it on tape, the guys that have it. I've seen guys that are 4.4, but they don't play 4.4, they play 4.5 because they're thinking too much or they just don't have a good feel for the game.
The guy who looks to me who plays at high speed and can think and cut in the same synapse is the Chiefs' RB, Isaiah Pacheko.

I have been around TF my entire life. Frankly, I was surprised with 4.71. Really really surprised. The dude plays much faster.

Some running backs are blessed to run around the defense, other are blessed to run through them.
That might be Estime strength

Last edited:
Some running backs are blessed to run around the defense, other are blessed to run through them.
That might be Estime strength
All Running backs experience contact, and in many cases, their shelflife is determined by how much contact they experience.

Avoiding contact, if possible, would seem to be the better option

The average career of a running back in the NFL is 2.57 years.

That’s just one reporter’s opinion
My sources are the owners and presidents of NFL teams

Remind me again, what are your sources?

” SPEED“ is critical, and it can’t be taught.

And if you were running back, you need speed
No doubt speed is critical, but Bills GM agrees there is a difference between track and football speed. Who are your sources again? Sleepy Joe, I’m sure you’ll be out for drinks and filets with the NFL presidents tonight!

"And then I've seen guys play much faster than they run [in the drill]. They didn't train for it very well, but they play fast, they process and they're really good players. So again, I'm looking more at what do they look like in their pads playing the game, understanding all the concepts more than just, what is that true 40-yard time."

No doubt speed is critical, but Bills GM agrees there is a difference between track and football speed. Who are your sources again? Sleepy Joe, I’m sure you’ll be out for drinks and filets with the NFL presidents tonight!

"And then I've seen guys play much faster than they run [in the drill]. They didn't train for it very well, but they play fast, they process and they're really good players. So again, I'm looking more at what do they look like in their pads playing the game, understanding all the concepts more than just, what is that true 40-yard time."
Everybody knows there’s a difference between track speed and football speed.
But if you’re running a 4.7 in the combine you’re not going to run a 4.4 on the field.

I wonder why the Cowboys drafted Bob Hayes ?

I wonder why the Rocket returned kickoffs, probably because he had a slow 40 time

Your quote from Beane is just a sound bite to give some reporter something to write about.
”Guys play faster than they run (in the drill)”
What total B.S.
And you actually believe that ?
That shows how little you know.

If you can’t run faster than 4.7 in the 40 you ain’t running faster on the field.
Have someone with a brain who knows something about football explain that to you

And we’re not having dinner tonight, it’s tomorrow night, Tuesday

Speed is severely overrated. So many fast guys like Tyree that never do much.

Technique, power, vision, blocking are fundamentally more important than a couple tenths of a second in speed.

Sure, we’d all like a 4.4 Estime, but at the expense of what? Power? Can’t have your cake and eat it too.

4.3 speed might get you an extra half a yard vs a 4.7, but power, vision, and ability to shake tackles will get you more than that.

What did Bettis run? It might be blasphemy but I’d argue Estime is as good.

Last edited:
All Running backs experience contact, and in many cases, their shelflife is determined by how much contact they experience.

Avoiding contact, if possible, would seem to be the better option

The average career of a running back in the NFL is 2.57 years.
Unless your name is Derrick Henry

Technique, power, vision, blocking are fundamentally more important than a couple tenths of a second in speed.

Sure, we’d all like a 4.4 Estime, but at the expense of what? Power? Can’t have your cake and eat it too.

4.3 speed might get you an extra half a yard vs a 4.7, but power, vision, and ability to shake tackles will get you more than that.

if you don’t have speed, you’re not playing in the NFL, where everyone is fast

Let’s hope that Estime has a comparable future

Okay. Tell that to Kyren. And don’t say 4.55 is fast.
So according to you if one NFL RB Runs a 4.55 that automatically means that another RB who runs a 4.71 will be a successful NFL RB.

Do you want to explain the logic behind your theory?

Everybody knows there’s a difference between track speed and football speed.
But if you’re running a 4.7 in the combine you’re not going to run a 4.4 on the field.

I wonder why the Cowboys drafted Bob Hayes ?

I wonder why the Rocket returned kickoffs, probably because he had a slow 40 time

Your quote from Beane is just a sound bite to give some reporter something to write about.
”Guys play faster than they run (in the drill)”
What total B.S.
And you actually believe that ?
That shows how little you know.

If you can’t run faster than 4.7 in the 40 you ain’t running faster on the field.
Have someone with a brain who knows something about football explain that to you

And we’re not having dinner tonight, it’s tomorrow night, Tuesday
Yea Jerry Rice was awfully slow on the football field with a 4.7 40, come on sleepy Joe- wake up!

Yea Jerry Rice was awfully slow on the football field with a 4.7 40, come on sleepy Joe- wake up!
You’re the one who needs to wake up, maybe you should stick to doing the dishes and vacuuming

Bill Walsh said that he ran a 4.59.
Gil Brandt said that he ran 4.55.
Rollie Dotsch said he ran a 4.45

But what do his coaches and a GM know compared to you

But that’s OK. keep believing everything you read on Google Search.

Bettis ran in the 4.7's. Tony Rice ran a 4.7 at the combine. Ricky Watters ran a 4.71.

Watters then gained over 10,000 yds. rushing (plus hefty receiving yards) and may be the only player who's gained 1,000 or more yards for three different teams: SF, Philly, Seattle.

Rice and Watters were "officially" 4.5 guys coming into ND. But then, every running back EVER RECRUITED is supposedly 4.5 or better.

But is anyone thinking about how immeasureable in "REAL TIME" two-tenths of a second is?

One guy who was DEFINITELY TOP DRAWER FAST as an RB was Julius Jones who ran a 4.39. But again, we're talking tenths if not hundredths of a second.

Just for the record, here are some others. Some of these numbers are as per single runs; others composites.

Mark Green -- 4.62

Rocket -- 4.28

Tim Brown -- 4.39

Greg Bell -- 4.63

Darius Walker -- 4.56/4.61

Cierre Wood -- 4.46

Joey Getherall -- 4.38

Josh Adams -- 4.51

Willie Clark -- 4.44

Jeff Burris -- 4.59

Tony Brooks -- 4.77

Tom Zbikowski -- 4.54

Golden Tate -- 4.42

Allen Rossum -- 4.57

Jonas Gray -- 4.58

Michael Floyd -- 4.47

Dexter Williams -- 4.57

Harrison Smith -- 4.57

Juian Love -- 4.54/4.45

Kyle Hamilton -- 4.59

Okay. Tell that to Kyren. And don’t say 4.55 is fast.
We measure speed as an average. Time/distance. IT seems to me the most useful stat would be the speed in a 5 yd dash. Maybe at an unknown direction until the race starts.

He’s not the “average”
That's true, hence "unless" perhaps Estime will turn out that way.

But one thing everyone is over looking is thd quality of the offensive line.

Noone is fast unless they are getting off of the starting block.
Estime is big enough and fast enough to run through the interior defense

You’d argue Audric Estime is “as good...” as Jerome Bettis as a CFB RB?

I would not.

That’s just one reporter’s opinion
My sources are the owners and presidents of NFL teams

Remind me again, what are your sources?

” SPEED“ is critical, and it can’t be taught.

And if you were running back, you need speed
....Yeah but what does your NFL cheerleader girlfriend say?.....

• Haha
Reactions: Chitown11
Well, players are compared in all sports all the time, whether it's MJ or Lebron, Tiger or Jack Nicklaus, and Willy Mays or Hank Aaron as a MLB hitter. And my memory says otherwise.
And that's why they are usually always wrong. People go by their memory and how they felt at the time

Reactions: deadirishpoet
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT