ADVERTISEMENT

ER’s Start Monday

NotreDame du Lac

Posts Like A Champion
Jan 29, 2015
Our backup QB arrives Monday. He should be getting lots of reps and move into the #2 spot fairly quickly as his skill set is very similar to Book. He also was clearly the best QB in the AA Game. I’m sure Pyne and Rees will connect rather quickly. I doubt he gets redshirted considering PJ is gone. I have a very strange feeling that Book is going to go down next season. I sincerely hope I’m wrong, but the kid has been awfully blessed avoiding injuries, especially considering how often he runs with the ball. He might run it even more next season without Chase or a running game. Having no injuries is rare. I think Pyne will be on the field in a few months.

My biggest wish for Pyne is that they get him on a bigger, faster, stronger lifting program. Turn him into a linebacker frame. It’s crazy how scrawny some of these kids are when you see them on campus. You even lift, bro?

Last edited:
I don't think he takes the 2 spot over Brendon Clark. Clark has been here a year. He has better physical attributes than Pyne. I think Clark was poised to pass up Phil
Interesting. Clark has good size. What’s separating him from Book? Anyone know?

Brendon ran the scout team last season. He ran the opponent's offense every week. He was so good at it that he was scout team player of the year. Now it gets real. He has to learn the Irish offense with a new OC. If Rees is still around, that will help. Everything I have heard and read about Brendon says he is a really good QB with lots of smarts. Saying Brendon was poised to over take Phil is pure speculation combined with wishful thinking. There is no evidence of that happening. Phil is gone, so next man in for Irish fans to take aim at.

Brendon ran the scout team last season. He ran the opponent's offense every week. He was so good at it that he was scout team player of the year. Now it gets real. He has to learn the Irish offense with a new OC. If Rees is still around, that will help. Everything I have heard and read about Brendon says he is a really good QB with lots of smarts. Saying Brendon was poised to over take Phil is pure speculation combined with wishful thinking. There is no evidence of that happening. Phil is gone, so next man in for Irish fans to take aim at.
Eric Hansen (I believe) mentioned on another site the general belief among reporters who attend practices that Clark was closer to Phil than Phil was to Ian. Not saying that means he was about to overtake him, but it’s not impossible.

Eric's comments had to be from Fall camp and earlier. Yes? From listening to Eric's radio show, I get the impression that no one has been at an Irish practice during the season. Am I wrong on that?

Eric's comments had to be from Fall camp and earlier. Yes? From listening to Eric's radio show, I get the impression that no one has been at an Irish practice during the season. Am I wrong on that?
They were after Phil transferred. He said practices are generally closed, but that was the vibe from what little was known.

BC starts Monday also, which is why PJ had to make a super quick decision. Jamie Newman hadn’t even heard from Georgia until late last week, he starts school there tomorrow.

They were after Phil transferred. He said practices are generally closed, but that was the vibe from what little was known.
Yeah, Eric appears to be relying on a conversation he had with Clark's high school coach after Phil's transfer notice and putting together the pieces of the puzzle he's heard since the season started. He commented on the show the other day that BK has been very stingy with giving the media access to the assistant coaches this past season but he expects more access coming up as spring approaches.

Here's the recent article he did on Brendon - https://www.ndinsider.com/football/...cle_a0b3fd53-6409-5bb1-9bfc-bbba35712ace.html

No you're not, no reporters are allowed in practices. In the rare event that any media days or scouts that are allowed to attend practice they are of course not allowed any recording devices and sign a waiver they cannot report on specific plays just general player performance. But that's rare. However, if there are any reporters ever allowed Eric is close enough to the program he would be one of them. Eric in his last weeks chat session said there were other issues going on more then just Ian coming back. He said that even if Ian left ND he was probably still leaving ND also. I think the reason is more of a plan of keeping Rees there as OC or whatever capacity.

I kinda wish Eric had his own radio show without a co-host that constantly interrupts him and rambles on and on. But, that's just me thinking out loud.

I kinda wish Eric had his own radio show without a co-host that constantly interrupts him and rambles on and on. But, that's just me thinking out loud.
I'm not sure if you're aware of his podcast with Tyler James called "Pod of Gold" but it's pretty good. They have a new one about once a week. Tyler is less domineering than Pritchett, although I don't mind Pritchett either. Pritchett can get annoying at times but he's also good at driving the discussions and I think Eric prefers to be a knowledgeable passenger rather than the driver.

I'm not sure if you're aware of his podcast with Tyler James called "Pod of Gold" but it's pretty good. They have a new one about once a week. Tyler is less domineering than Pritchett, although I don't mind Pritchett either. Pritchett can get annoying at times but he's also good at driving the discussions and I think Eric prefers to be a knowledgeable passenger rather than the driver.
10-4 and thank you.

Matt from Augusta, N.J.: Thanks for the chats. From the practices you saw, did you think Brendon Clark was pushing Phil Jurkovec for the backup QB job 2019 and would he in 2020?

Eric Hansen:The buzz from those in practice regularly was that the gap was larger between Ian Book and Jurkovec most of the time than the gap between Jurkovec and Clark. Was Phil ready? I think he was ready to be the No. 2 option

Those comments were made in the latest live chat. I was under the impression he was speaking of sources within the fall practice sessions. Eric was at all the open fall practice sessions and he gave his and other media present then. I've already had one pissing session with another person, so I won't repeat what he said again. I get the impression that PJ had made up some ground on Ian but evidently not a lot.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT