ADVERTISEMENT

Chip Long

given all the recent OC hires throughout college football I find it interesting he hasn't landed anywhere yet.
He's gone from the penthouse to the outhouse awfully quick. There must be a lot more skeletons in his closet or he's a complete a**hole. He was a hotshot coach and recruiter just a year ago. Now he remains unemployed. You are correct....very strange

I would like to know when Long was ‘relieved’ of his duties. After the Michigan game? Was this something brewing all season? I also wonder if Rees got the opportunity to help with the offense when this happened.

College football : poor character, would seem to be a real plus

Yeah I remember when I suggested he was holding us back like BVG was and I was mocked as a fool and told that Chip Long was imminently being poached for OC job at Bama or P5 HC.

Yeah I remember when I suggested he was holding us back like BVG was and I was mocked as a fool and told that Chip Long was imminently being poached for OC job at Bama or P5 HC.
yeah i remember when some posters here were adamant that Alabama had offered him the OC job. nothing was further from the truth.

I heard on the ND radio broadcast that he was pretty rough on his players. What "pretty rough" means in college football, I have no idea. Maybe also issues between Chip and Quinn. It's all hearsay by us outsiders anyway. He'll get work and he will be fine. Heard also that he and Chase did not get along until Chip took Chase out for dinner. Things changed dramatically for the better after that. Again, that's what I heard on SportsBeat last night.

I heard on the ND radio broadcast that he was pretty rough on his players. What "pretty rough" means in college football, I have no idea. Maybe also issues between Chip and Quinn. It's all hearsay by us outsiders anyway. He'll get work and he will be fine. Heard also that he and Chase did not get along until Chip took Chase out for dinner. Things changed dramatically for the better after that. Again, that's what I heard on SportsBeat last night.
Yeah, Hansen also said he talked to parents of defensive players and they told him if Chip was responsible for coaching their children they would not have put up with it. Hansen said Chip apparently went beyond being abrasive to the point of being abusive.

Reactions: notredamerises23
The ND offense under Chip Long looked like the offense of very talented Semi-Pro team. Very little consistency but made lots of big plays vs out manned opponents.

But when ND ran into ranked Power 5 teams with equal athletes (Georgia, Michigan, USC) ND struggled to score points. ND could not break 30 vs USC who did not have a good defense, and could not break 20 vs Georgia or Michigan.who did have good defenses.

ND needs more consistency out of the O-Line regarding run blocking, more talent at RB, and way more consistency out of the QB position vs top flight opponents.

When you cannot run the ball, you have 2 choices.

1. Get a QB like Joe Burrow, go Empty Set, Scat Protection and operate. Until the defense loosens up.

2. You abandon the run, the pass rush tees off on you, and you struggle to score points.

That is ND's world right now, when they cannot run the ball

Last edited:
The offense that dismantled Iowa State, a team more than a few here thought would beat us, can play against "the big boys." I think that's why he moved in the right direction. The Notre Dame defense would have been a lot better if BK had went with Coach Elston instead of VanIncompetent. This time he didn't make the Pinstripe mistake again. When I see TR today I see a man and football coach. BK says he's ready; I'm fair minded enough to give him a shot.

Yeah, Hansen also said he talked to parents of defensive players and they told him if Chip was responsible for coaching their children they would not have put up with it. Hansen said Chip apparently went beyond being abrasive to the point of being abusive.
Exactly, Eric most likely would dish out a lot more info if his co-host would muzzle himself and let Eric talk when it comes to ND football.

Reactions: Ara64
The offense that dismantled Iowa State, a team more than a few here thought would beat us, can play against "the big boys." I think that's why he moved in the right direction. The Notre Dame defense would have been a lot better if BK had went with Coach Elston instead of VanIncompetent. This time he didn't make the Pinstripe mistake again. When I see TR today I see a man and football coach. BK says he's ready; I'm fair minded enough to give him a shot.
To be fair Elston has turned out to be the best defensive line coach in the country, so I'm perfectly fine keeping him there.

Exactly, Eric most likely would dish out a lot more info if his co-host would muzzle himself and let Eric talk when it comes to ND football.
In this case, I think it was a matter of Hansen knowing what was going on behind the scenes but not being at liberty to talk about it if people were talking to him off the record. Pritchett said, "You told me those stories" after Hansen told him what the defensive parents said indicating they had been talking about Chip's behavior off the air for at least a little while. How far back they were talking about it is unknown and I'm not sure Hansen would want to disclose that info anyway.

I wouldn't be shocked if Long was taking some time off to self reflect. If even half of the rumors/assumptions are true it would make sense. If he wants to be a long term football coach making big money he has to make some huge changes to the way he interacts with college age kids, and his coaching/teaching philosophies.

You'd love to self reflect and make internal changes while you have a job, but he is out of a job. I imagine it would be difficult to do that and also in good faith interview for your next position.

This is 100% opinion, just a hypothesis. Although I wasn't his biggest fan, he also wasn't an idiot.

To be fair Elston has turned out to be the best defensive line coach in the country, so I'm perfectly fine keeping him there.
I wonder how long he'll remain satisfied in his current position. Maybe he's that rare breed that's content bein at ND

I wouldn't be shocked if Long was taking some time off to self reflect. If even half of the rumors/assumptions are true it would make sense. If he wants to be a long term football coach making big money he has to make some huge changes to the way he interacts with college age kids, and his coaching/teaching philosophies.

You'd love to self reflect and make internal changes while you have a job, but he is out of a job. I imagine it would be difficult to do that and also in good faith interview for your next position.

This is 100% opinion, just a hypothesis. Although I wasn't his biggest fan, he also wasn't an idiot.
Well, if the stories are true about Chip, would this be a new thing for him when he was at ND? If he was like this in his previous stops, you'd figure BK would have been aware of this in the vetting process. Surely, there would have been red flags from talking to former employers and co-workers.

Reactions: d1042
Don't hurt yourself padding yourself on your back.

given all the recent OC hires throughout college football I find it interesting he hasn't landed anywhere yet.

Great thread, start trashing Chip Long, if Kelly doesn't want him he must be eh? Classy move by a classy guy.

It's been a whole month since he was let go? Something tells me the apologists will be rooting for him to stay unemployed.

Well, if the stories are true about Chip, would this be a new thing for him when he was at ND? If he was like this in his previous stops, you'd figure BK would have been aware of this in the vetting process. Surely, there would have been red flags from talking to former employers and co-workers.

That thought has occurred. Sometimes people are affected by their surroundings or those around them.

One thing for sure, there is never just 1 side to any story. Rarely is 1 side 100% blameless.

Last edited:
I think maybe it is the personal indiscretions that could be playing a role. Not that schools will not want to hire him but that perhaps he is working to mend fences at home.

Reactions: d1042
Have to ignore. Just the same garbage over and over.
Yep...

The names bearing offensive coordinator title may change but the same old robotic lazy uncreative offensive performance...over and over remains.

I don't understand why this is such a mystery to so many.

Did the offense really look any different after Long took over? But stop the presses...this new coordinator will be different.
Yeah, by name only.

Reactions: chitown sot
I think maybe it is the personal indiscretions that could be playing a role. Not that schools will not want to hire him but that perhaps he is working to mend fences at home.
What are we talking about here? I’ve only read that Chip was very hard on players, and argumentative with other coaches, each of which created a divided locker room. Characteristics that raise questions about his readiness for a head coaching gig, but nothing I would ever characterize as personal indiscretions. Is there more to this story?

What are we talking about here? I’ve only read that Chip was very hard on players, and argumentative with other coaches, each of which created a divided locker room. Characteristics that raise questions about his readiness for a head coaching gig, but nothing I would ever characterize as personal indiscretions. Is there more to this story?

there are indiscretions and then there are indiscretions - hinted ON THIS FORUM, to involve another staff member. A grain of salt required.

Yep...

The names bearing offensive coordinator title may change but the same old robotic lazy uncreative offensive performance...over and over remains.

I don't understand why this is such a mystery to so many.

Did the offense really look any different after Long took over? But stop the presses...this new coordinator will be different.
Yeah, by name only.
Not that is a post by a person who CLEARLY doesn't understand the process and dynamic of running a successful program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT