ADVERTISEMENT

Can NIL be fixed?

I'm not going to read that article but I would guess that what it's going to take. Because the supreme court already said they could do it. And that the NCAA can't stop it. So it will probably require something like a federal law to have any chance to return to the status quo. Even though even federal laws can be overturned by the SCOTUS, as we all know too well.

It's funny too, because the free transfer business was presumably only implemented as a way to throw the players a bone because of how bad the NCAA was looking on account of their hard-line refusal to budge or let the players see a dime. And so now you got the new N I L financial freedoms that the NCAA definitely did not want at any cost, AND you got the free transfer rule which was only ever meant to be a sop so as to burnish the NCAA's image and make them look a little less oppressive/exploitative....

And now CFB is supposedly going to be gone in five years, or whatever asinine idle threats and fear-mongering the reactionary crowd is disseminating on the message boards, along with the pandering CFB media. Like CFB fans are ever going to stop being CFB fans. What are these guys gonna do, take up mountain biking? Go hunting on Saturday afternoons instead of tuning into the big game? Not bloody likely.

If anything this new regime has the potential to help the sport, and make it more appealing for players to stay in college longer if they're getting paid good enough money that it's worth their while to stay. Someone like Kyren Williams..... The Kyle Hamiltons of the world will always go pro. The free transfer rule has exposed the crudely self-serving character of the old regime, which was only meant to serve the schools and the programs, with the players merely getting nothing and liking it. Ultimately the players are going to have to form unions and strike, otherwise the de facto owners will find a way to reassert their privileges and domination. God knows CFB's hardcore, reactionary fans will urge them on every step of the way.....

• Haha
Reactions: Kontiki09
I don’t know if NIL can be fixed.

But what can be fixed is the transfer rule/s

I'm not going to read that article but I would guess that what it's going to take. Because the supreme court already said they could do it. And that the NCAA can't stop it. So it will probably require something like a federal law to have any chance to return to the status quo. Even though even federal laws can be overturned by the SCOTUS, as we all know too well.

It's funny too, because the free transfer business was presumably only implemented as a way to throw the players a bone because of how bad the NCAA was looking on account of their hard-line refusal to budge or let the players see a dime. And so now you got the new N I L financial freedoms that the NCAA definitely did not want at any cost, AND you got the free transfer rule which was only ever meant to be a sop so as to burnish the NCAA's image and make them look a little less oppressive/exploitative....

And now CFB is supposedly going to be gone in five years, or whatever asinine idle threats and fear-mongering the reactionary crowd is disseminating on the message boards, along with the pandering CFB media. Like CFB fans are ever going to stop being CFB fans. What are these guys gonna do, take up mountain biking? Go hunting on Saturday afternoons instead of tuning into the big game? Not bloody likely.

If anything this new regime has the potential to help the sport, and make it more appealing for players to stay in college longer if they're getting paid good enough money that it's worth their while to stay. Someone like Kyren Williams..... The Kyle Hamiltons of the world will always go pro. The free transfer rule has exposed the crudely self-serving character of the old regime, which was only meant to serve the schools and the programs, with the players merely getting nothing and liking it. Ultimately the players are going to have to form unions and strike, otherwise the de facto owners will find a way to reassert their privileges and domination. God knows CFB's hardcore, reactionary fans will urge them on every step of the way.....
This makes zero sense.

I don’t know if NIL can be fixed.

But what can be fixed is the transfer rule/s
Probably so. They can just take it away. No one gives a shit about the transfers, other than coaches of course. But the administrators don't. All they care about is the money. So if they try to take away the money, and reduce/crush the opportunity for players to get paid by figuring out some way to re-illegalize players making money and making it stick, AND undo the transfer rule as well..... that's a very bad look.

Doesn't mean they won't try it, but it's a risky move. And completely philosophically/morally/ethically indefensible. Other than simply declaring that the NCAA is in charge, it's their way of the highway, and in flatly Orwellian, platitudinous style, insisting that rolling back these new freedoms before the ink has really even dried is done merely for the 'good of the sport'. Which is kind of like saying 'or else the terrorists win.... ' It's just corporate cant. Completely devoid of substance, and nothing more than the most banal rhetorical fig leaf, I guess they call that, for reasserting dominant control over the goings-on in CFB, without any concern for the players' interests or preferences.....

There are reasonable ways to allow players to get paid for their time. Most of us would say that the food, training, scholarship, room and board, plane flights, equipment, medical teams and such all leading to a degree in football was more than enough. I would guess without the education alone; those costs would be close to 100k over the 3 years.

If we compare it to a lawyer, doctor, marketing major they will all pay hundreds of thousands for the right to go "pro" in their field. They get no such perks.

But hey, the media tells us that the universities and the media were making millions and millions exploiting these kids, right?

Yea, all 25 of the 1100 schools actually made money on sports. NIL doesn't take away from the school, it pulls from the boosters which was illegal for a reason. It allows cheating. The media and media companies were certainly benefitting.

So, what do we have here? We have a handful of schools than can legally organize a pay to play plan to ensure that the top players are paid millions to represent the school.

What kid would walk away from it? How long before it corrupts rating services? Maybe your guy comes out as a number 1 QB and you're making him such gives you a cut of the action.

Maybe high schools can take a cut as well? Coaches that direct their best athletes could be sponsored I as well would guess.

Doesn't really seem like an end to this honestly. We went from fully stupid left to more stupid right.

For now, you just have to get your NIL booster program moving.

This at some point will be so destructive something will get done.....not sure when that is.

Reactions: NDblitz
So you're talking about some sort of collective bargaining arrangement. Otherwise it's just the NCAA and their member institutions just deciding unilaterally how it's going to be, which is what they're no longer allowed to do.

In any case you can engage in phony rhetoric about what's 'reasonable' or not, but that's for the birds. This is big money we're talking about, and you know the old saying, money talks and bullshit walks! And you're talking some serious bullshit with this worthless post. It's such gibberish that no reply is in order, and I'm not sure at first blush how even to respond to such fatuous nonsense. That would be cool to see some douchebag attempt to put forth some argument, if you can even call it that, that these players have to pay off the colleges, or something, just like doctors, in order to gain the right to legally/ethically earn money off of their playing ability. Like in an official public forum, with the world watching, that you would ever attempt to assert something so bizarro-world crazy and preposterous....

Do you realize how effed-up and sick you sound? What utter gibberish/nonsense you're spewing? I mean the complete gibberish you just proposed with a straight face, it's genuinely sort of mind-boggling. The ways you guys' minds works is a trip to behold. And it's not going to work. Top, elite athletes that are so good and so sought-after that they would inspire bidding wars for their services.... are never going to have somehow first pay off, the colleges I guess, for the right to participate in and enjoy and receive that lucrative financial reward being willingly and voluntarily lavished upon them by the free market, like doctors apparently do. I suppose because unlike doctors, no college degree is required for what they do....

What planet do you effin' live on??? Don't you ever, EVER use the word 'reasonable' again, alongside this sort of nonplussing gibberish.....

The Next Step Down:
Recruits getting large sums of money will probably be paying taxes. Therefore, I predict, many will want/ prefer Money Under the Table - As might their donors and even the school who might prefer to "not know"
Can NCAA/ IRS simple require all recruits/players to to disclose all income? ie their taxes.
Then simply reduce scholarships for those that receive $ before actually playing for the school or failing to disclose NIL or under the table $. Seems like some may owe the IRS gift tax anyway for the under the table $.
On a separate note about the Portal. Why not, in the first two years, require the gaining school to give up to the losing team a scholarship ( like a compensatory draft Pick). And also take a loss of one on the team total for as many years as player has eligibility left?
Seems like this would put the responsibility where it belongs with the player and the coaches' decisions which now carry no risk.

The Next Step Down:
Recruits getting large sums of money will probably be paying taxes. Therefore, I predict, many will want/ prefer Money Under the Table - As might their donors and even the school who might prefer to "not know"
Can NCAA/ IRS simple require all recruits/players to to disclose all income? ie their taxes.
Then simply reduce scholarships for those that receive $ before actually playing for the school or failing to disclose NIL or under the table $. Seems like some may owe the IRS gift tax anyway for the under the table $.
On a separate note about the Portal. Why not, in the first two years, require the gaining school to give up to the losing team a scholarship ( like a compensatory draft Pick). And also take a loss of one on the team total for as many years as player has eligibility left?
Seems like this would put the responsibility where it belongs with the player and the coaches' decisions which now carry no risk.
Yeah, I don't know what to say that, you're just as effin' nuts as the other guy. Probably worse. You guys need therapy, you really do. Your attitudes towards the players are so paranoid, and so openly hostile and punitive, that how is anyone even supposed to respond to these heinous, almost totalitarian-style proposals you guys come up with? With total disregard for any consideration, including baseline legal, constitutional rights, other than your aggressive inclinations....

Noboby anywhere, no CFB program is getting ready to start taking these players' scholarships away if they take a bunch of NIL money. That was never the intent, and if they did it would presumably be collusion of some sort. I mean you're mentally ill, sir! These are not serious suggestions, this is like crazy magical thinking or something, fantasy world stuff, and the seething animosity towards the players simmering beneath the surface of these batshit ideas is highly palpable....

Nor is there any good logic or even sanity to your glaringly punitive idea that schools who are the on the receiving end of a transfer be required to lose a scholarship to do so. You openly apportion 'blame' to the players, as if they're doing anything wrong or reprehensible or punishable by simply transferring as they see fit and are freely allowed to do. Maybe they could have some rules around so-called tampering, and tying to lure players away in some defined undue fashion. But a standard rule that schools lose a scholarship if they merely accept a transfer from another program? WTF are you talking about??????

Please tell me you're just trolling, and you don't actually mean any of this....

Its not about returning to status quo...

It's getting a handle on the free-for-all chaos going on right now.

Its not about returning to status quo...

It's getting a handle on the free-for-all chaos going on right now.
Well if your big ideas are anything like the pair of nutters I already responded to in this thread.... all's I can say is good luck with that, psycho. Because you're going to need it. You guys are just too mentally ill to come up with anything workable. But luckily for you, there are plenty of lawyers for hire who have still enough reality-based presence of mind, to maybe think of something that could strike back at the players the way you guys are so desperately craving.

But if it's left strictly up to you guys, you're gonna get nowhere. You guys are almost like mentally retarded or something. You pretty much live in a fantasy world, and come up with fantasy football type ideas, that would not be seriously considered by anybody, if only just for legal reasons. As in going to court and getting sued and losing. Which is something that doesn't seem to even register in your world...

I guess maybe with the transfer thing they could just rescind the rule. Perhaps on that score they could do anything they want. They didn't sign some contract that I'm aware of promising to keep that rule in place. So just cancel it. I'm just thinking they're not going to do that just to please a cohort of deranged, authoritarian CFB fans. They just instituted it, so why would they cancel it? Because ND is at least one program likely to get screwed by it? Should they do it for that reason?? Ya think?????

The whole thing is zero sum, and schools are still limited to 85 scholarships to promote competitive balance, so I don't see any reason why they would change it, especially when their only true priority is getting players back to as close amateur status as the courts will allow.....

Probably so. They can just take it away. No one gives a shit about the transfers, other than coaches of course. But the administrators don't. All they care about is the money. So if they try to take away the money, and reduce/crush the opportunity for players to get paid by figuring out some way to re-illegalize players making money and making it stick, AND undo the transfer rule as well..... that's a very bad look.

Doesn't mean they won't try it, but it's a risky move. And completely philosophically/morally/ethically indefensible. Other than simply declaring that the NCAA is in charge, it's their way of the highway, and in flatly Orwellian, platitudinous style, insisting that rolling back these new freedoms before the ink has really even dried is done merely for the 'good of the sport'. Which is kind of like saying 'or else the terrorists win.... ' It's just corporate cant. Completely devoid of substance, and nothing more than the most banal rhetorical fig leaf, I guess they call that, for reasserting dominant control over the goings-on in CFB, without any concern for the players' interests or preferences.....
The NCAA has no control over NIL.

Tonight I had dinner with a fellow who has a child attending a major football power.
He’s also a significant donor to that school.
He was just asked to join a committee being formed to “study” NIL and “formulate” plans to deal with NIL.

The concern regarding NIL’s impact on football is ubiquitous!

Tonight I had dinner with a fellow who has a child attending a major football power.
He was just asked to join a committee being formed to “study” NIL and “formulate” plans to deal with NIL.

Why not name the school? Reveal your sources! Lol!!

I see you haven’t been able to name the “football power” …or the significant donor of said football power …cmon, they publish those donors, so present the sources! Can Eli help here?

lololol

Why not name the school? Reveal your sources! Lol!!
Why not name the school ?

Because what was told to me was told to me in confidence, and that means not telling a douche bag like you.

However, if you’d like to bet a significant sum on it, I’m sure that I can get a release from my friend.

So, how about $ 10,000 big shot.

I’ll even throw in a hint, it’s east of the Mississippi ! 😜

Why not name the school ?

Because what was told to me was told to me in confidence, and that means not telling a douche bag like you.

However, if you’d like to bet a significant sum on it, I’m sure that I can get a release from my friend.

So, how about $ 10,000 big shot.

I’ll even throw in a hint, it’s east of the Mississippi ! 😜
Lol, the ole “he told me in confidence” thing….yet you wanted me to share my sources about Kelly and wanting more money ….so it only applies when it suits you? I do enjoy exposing you.

what a fraud you are! (Did I do that right?)

so just for posterity sake, you are not revealing your source here, even though you carried on sources….and your hint is as pathetic as your so called friendship with the Mannings

Reactions: Golson5
Lol, the ole “he told me in confidence” thing….yet you wanted me to share my sources about Kelly and wanting more money ….so it only applies when it suits you? I do enjoy exposing you.

so just for posterity sake, you are not revealing your source here, even though you carried on sources….and your hint is as pathetic as your so called friendship with the Mannings
You never stated that the coach or member of the BOD told you in confidence.

But here’s how I know that your a fraud.

Notre Dame DOESN’T have a BOD !

That’s right, Notre Dame does NOT have a Board of Directors.
If you were so well connected you’d know that.

Your source doesn’t exist.

You’re a fraud.

And then, you said that a coach also told you, but none of the coaches knew that Kelly was negotiating with LSU. Kelly, JS and the coaches confirmed that.

You’re a fraud

Hey guys

his donor friend is from east of the Mississippi. And he doesn’t want us to know even though his donations are public. But the concern on NIL is ubiquitous. So this is double secret probation time

I NEVER stated that the Mannings were friends of mine, although they were very nice to my son.

Would you cite where I stated that the Mannings were friends of mine !

You’re a liar and a fraud

You never stated that the coach or member of the BOD told you in confidence.

But here’s how I know that your a fraud.

Notre Dame DOESN’T have a BOD !

That’s right, Notre Dame does NOT have a Board of Directors.
If you were so well connected you’d know that.

Your source doesn’t exist.

You’re a fraud.

And then, you said that a coach also told you, but none of the coaches knew that Kelly was negotiating with LSU. Kelly, JS and the coaches confirmed that.

You’re a fraud
Cmon, stay on topic. Produce your evidence. Show us your verification !

Lol, you caught me. I’ll make sure to apologize to Jimmy

and you are quoting what Kelly said in the papers as gospel? The same Kelly that said a week prior to resigning that he would never leave ND? Omg

I NEVER stated that the Mannings were friends of mine, although they were very nice to my son.

Would you cite where I stated that the Mannings were friends of mine !

You’re a liar and a fraud
And the pivot begins…

Hey guys

his donor friend is from east of the Mississippi. And he doesn’t want us to know even though his donations are public. But the concern on NIL is ubiquitous. So this is double secret probation time
You are beyond dumb, it’s the college that’s east of the Mississippi, you moron.
I’ll give you another hint, it’s in the Big 10

As to the names of donors not being published, see below you idiot

and you are quoting what Kelly said in the papers as gospel? The same Kelly that said a week prior to resigning that he would never leave ND? Omg
Not just Kelly, but Swarbrick as well.

Are you calling Swarbrick a liar ?

Make sure to answer about the IRS, Mr big wager man ! This will be enlightening
Winnings from wagers are taxable income.

Donations of equal value to IRS approved charities/universities are tax deductible.

You really are dumb.

You are beyond dumb, it’s the college that’s east of the Mississippi, you moron.
I’ll give you another hint, it’s in the Big 10

As to the names of donors not being published, see below you idiot
Lol, you can’t name your donor friend, after you tried to act important (which is your entire betting schtick) and you went to great lengths to say that they list donors…

Apologize to Flaherty, Dunne or Parsons ?

Winnings from wagers are taxable income.

Donations of equal value to IRS approved charities/universities are tax deductible.

You really are dumb.
I see you can use Google. The point was that anyone betting on a message board would not involve Vegas and amounts over 10k

you really are an amateur

I see you can use Google. The point was that anyone betting on a message board would not involve Vegas and amounts over 10k

you really are an amateur
Not true, betting is legal in Las Vegas therefore intermediaries can be used to facilitate the bet without running afoul of the legalities.

Now who’s the amateur?

Not true, betting is legal in Las Vegas therefore intermediaries can be used to facilitate the bet without running afoul of the legalities
Lol. Don’t use words you can’t pronounce. Reading comprehension. I didn’t say it was illegal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT