ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia schools can now pay athletes directly for NIL

I think they need to get rid of the "NIL" gimmick and just let colleges pay prospects a signing bonus out of high school commensurate with how rare of a prospect that player is

I can see an environment where schools are just bidding for players they like almost like free agency and the school with the highest bid will get the players they want

And then if the player develops into a star he can also leverage his name image and likeness into profitability as well with commercials and corporate sponsors and such. In the case where a player is a star before he even starts playing football at his school, like say an Archie Manning, he'll get his school's signing bonus and probably a contract from Nike before he even walks on campus.

It is going to be a good time to be alive in college sports with the money that is going around

Last edited:
If I have this right the schools are still not paying athletes which I think is wrong. Get rid of NIL and have schools share in the profits and give everyone the same flat rate. Athletes making millions of $$$ is absolutely ridiculous.

Reactions: tbonesays
If I have this right the schools are still not paying athletes which I think is wrong. Get rid of NIL and have schools share in the profits and give everyone the same flat rate. Athletes making millions of $$$ is absolutely ridiculous.
lol @ giving flat rate. that isn't reality nor how capitalism works. we can't just suppress these superstar players value by not letting them earn what they are worth

a 5 star kid has the potential to earn up to 9 figures for a university over a 3-4 year career (i'm talking about the very elite top of the mountain impact type players that make national headlines for their performance and single handedly increase the odds for a team's national title trophy chances) and they deserve to be compensated like it. Especially when you consider that these athletes' careers can be over instantly in the blink of an eye if hit in the wrong place

Last edited:
lol @ giving flat rate. that isn't reality nor how capitalism works. we can't just suppress these superstar players value by not letting them earn what they are worth

a 5 star kid has the potential to earn up to 9 figures for a university over a 3-4 year career (i'm talking about the very elite top of the mountain impact type players that make national headlines for their performance and single handedly increase the odds for a team's national title trophy chances) and they deserve to be compensated like it. Especially when you consider that these athletes' careers can be over instantly in the blink of an eye if hit in the wrong place

Okay then. But what a mess it has become doing it your way. And it’s only going to get worse. And even you chase with you limited knowledge on, well on everything, has to know that.

Why ? Is it ridiculous for any entertainer to make millions of dollars ? It's what the market will bear. Athletes have a significantly shorter shelf life than any other entertainer. No one seems to complain about the Rolling Stones cashing in for 50 years or more.

Can you not read:
"Effective July 1, schools in Virginia can directly pay student-athletes for Name, Image, and Likeness. The law that Youngkin signed on Thursday made it illegal for the NCAA to punish a school for compensating athletes for their NIL rights."

Schools can pay them directly for NIL deals, but not directly to simply play football.
Here is a simple example in case I need to spell it out for you.
Hey 5 star athlete, we are going to put your name on a jersey and sell it in our bookstore. We are going to pay you $1 million dollars to put your name on the jerseys we sell at the bookstore.

I think they need to get rid of the "NIL" gimmick and just let colleges pay prospects a signing bonus out of high school commensurate with how rare of a prospect that player is

I can see an environment where schools are just bidding for players they like almost like free agency and the school with the highest bid will get the players they want

And then if the player develops into a star he can also leverage his name image and likeness into profitability as well with commercials and corporate sponsors and such. In the case where a player is a star before he even starts playing football at his school, like say an Archie Manning, he'll get his school's signing bonus and probably a contract from Nike before he even walks on campus.

It is going to be a good time to be alive in college sports with the money that is going around
A good time for whom ?

Certainly not the game itself

Reactions: NDinNJ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT