ADVERTISEMENT

Book in 2020?

Fortunately, BK attends all the practices and told the media that Jurk was getting more 1st team reps starting last week himself.

Really addresses the problem that you pointed out, in that respect.

Obviously, access to additional information is a problem moving forward.
still does not clarify what "more" means ? did he say he got them because he was concerned about Book or did he say he got them because he has earned them ? huge difference i think. what i would pretty much guarantee is that he got them because it's just a good sound business practice and the opponent that particular week was the perfect time for it.

Reactions: nemeth#5
Guaranteed he won't sitting on the bench.

If Book returns it could be transfer city at the QB position in South Bend.
agreed. the best scenario for the program would be for him to move on after this year.

Reactions: 88ND
still does not clarify what "more" means ? did he say he got them because he was concerned about Book or did he say he got them because hi e has earned them ? huge difference i think. what i would pretty much guarantee is that he got them because it's just a good sound business practice and the opponent that particular week was the perfect time for it.

He didn't get them before New Mexico.
Book continued to struggle....and then he got them before BGSU.

Again, the facts prove I'm right.

Thanks!

agreed. the best scenario for the program would be for him to move on after this year.

Quite honestly, I'd bet that Book is on the bench if he somehow decides to return.

But from everything that's been reported, it doesn't sound like Book is really even considering coming back.
(though I don't understand his thinking there)

Apparently, he almost left after last season.

If Book struggles against USC and Jurk somehow regresses in 1st team reps (and we somehow find out about that)...then sure.

But that's not happening, and BK made that clear by INCREASING Jurk's 1st team reps.

Again, BK already PROVED that I'm right.

At this point, I'm just toying with you bc you're choosing to argue a point that has been PROVEN wrong.
You are wrong

I can only hope so.

No disrespect toward Book personally but this situation didn't need to be a mess.

Book should have started 1 year earlier which this becomes his last season no matter what.

Wimbush is still killing us and he's not even on the roster or schedule against this year. :cool:

He didn't get them before New Mexico.
Book continued to struggle....and then he got them before BGSU.

Again, the facts prove I'm right.

Thanks!
speculating why he got them is just that, speculation. doesn't prove anything. its a message board, why the insistence on being "right " ? do you win something or just need an ego boost ?

I can only hope so.

No disrespect toward Book personally but this situation didn't need to be a mess.

Book should have started 1 year earlier which this becomes his last season no matter what.

Wimbush is still killing us and he's not even on the roster or schedule against this year. :cool:
i had no problem with wimbush. i think Book started when they felt he was ready. different style of player. Book better suited for the offense once he got the hang of it. Certainly better at running it but still not the complete package.

speculating why he got them is just that, speculation. doesn't prove anything. its a message board, why the insistence on being "right " ? do you win something or just need an ego boost ?

Not when the come right after BK's criticism of Book (obvious) and they didn't come in a similar situation earlier in the year.

The inference is sooooooo obvious that only a fool could ignore it.

And that's what we have here: Several fools (@nemeth#5, @francade and @Patrirish) spent hundreds of posts trying to run me down for stating the obvious:
"If Book continues to stagnate, Jurk will overtake him"....

So now I'm here to rub their noses in their obvious stupidity.
(that way they'll learn for the future!)

Not when the come right after BK's criticism of Book (obvious) and they didn't come in a similar situation earlier in the year.

And that's what we have here: Several fools (@nemeth#5, @francade and @Patrirish) spent hundreds of posts trying to run me down for stating the obvious:

yikes, someone is full of themselves and thinks they can read the tea leaves. ever think Jurkovec wasn't ready earlier in the year ? every player progresses at different levels. i think you're trying to make something out of nothing to make yourself feel better.

i had no problem with wimbush. i think Book started when they felt he was ready. different style of player. Book better suited for the offense once he got the hang of it. Certainly better at running it but still not the complete package.
Book beats the teams we should beat soundly. Wimbush couod make a Bowling Green type of game way too interesting.

Having said that against top competition we need a difference maker at that position.

That isn't Book.

yikes, someone is full of themselves and thinks they can read the tea leaves. ever think Jurkovec wasn't ready earlier in the year ? every player progresses at different levels. i think you're trying to make something out of nothing to make yourself feel better.

It's great to see the mental gymnastics you guys have to do to try to avoid admiting how obviously right I am.

"Well....maybe the guy who played against NM wasn't ready for 1st String PRACTICE reps that same week....and then maybe BK's criticisms of Book have nothing to do with putting pressure on him....and then maybe Jurk made massive improvement in 2 weeks and is now ready for those same reps"

It's like you're actually trying to prove me right and expose your own ignorance simultaneously

There are some deeper issues with this poster.... wouldnt want to touch them with a ten foot pole.

Reactions: francade
Book beats the teams we should beat soundly. Wimbush couod make a Bowling Green type of game way too interesting.

Having said that against top competition we need a difference maker at that position.

That isn't Book.

I'm not sure it's Jurkovec either. He's got all the tools, but his throwing motion isn't as quick as it needs to be, and he loves throwing off his back foot for some reason.

Honestly, the way to defend against ND's offense is to take away quick out routes and leave the middle of the field (i.e., something like a Cover 1 man). Book just can't see wide open receivers in the middle of the field and refuses to step into the pocket.

Reactions: Catholicfan95
Dude... what facts? We keep going in circles. This is a matter of opinion on an answer to a made up message board question.

Facts and my countered OPINION (does all caps work better for you?)
PJ gets snaps with the 1's ahead of Bowling Green.- It is a 46 point favorite game... he was anticipating a blow out. If he doesnt get the same amount of snaps this week.... it will side with my view of it lol.... and that it was only for a crap opponent.
BK says Book needs to play better- Uhh....... yep he does?
Book took more snaps before other bad opponents like NM. It was a few weeks into the season and Book needed as many snaps as possible.
I'm not sure it's Jurkovec either. He's got all the tools, but his throwing motion isn't as quick as it needs to be, and he loves throwing off his back foot for some reason.

Honestly, the way to defend against ND's offense is to take away quick out routes and leave the middle of the field (i.e., something like a Cover 1 man). Book just can't see wide open receivers in the middle of the field and refuses to step into the pocket.

You would actually be better with Cover 3 to take away the outside, its more effective especially if you have a size match up on the outside.

Last edited:

Until he plays we'll never know.

I can tell you this though about his throwing motion

Too many times coaches do players a disservice by trying to change too much.

Or think every QB is from the same cookie cutter.

Manning had the strangest giddie up drop back you'd ever see. Nobody in the world would drop back like that naturally.

But it worked for him.

Wouod you ever teach anyone Philip Rivers throwing motion? No way.

But it's worked a long damn time for him.

Tweaking things is fine but you have to let them be players and see what they got.

It might not always be pretty but do they get it done?

Reactions: NewMember21
Until he plays we'll never know.

I can tell you this though about his throwing motion

Too many times coaches do players a disservice by trying to change too much.

Or think every QB is from the same cookie cutter.

Manning had the strangest giddie up drop back you'd ever see. Nobody in the world would drop back like that naturally.

But it worked for him.

Wouod you ever teach anyone Philip Rivers throwing motion? No way.

But it's worked a long damn time for him.

Tweaking things is fine but you have to let them be players and see what they got.

It might not always be pretty but do they get it done?

I'm not concerned with the actual motion. In fact, I never said he had a terrible throwing motion. I honestly don't care what it looks like, as long as it gets to the receiver quickly and accurately.

With respect to Rivers, no, I wouldn't change his actual motion. But when he first started in the league, I would have tightened up his release and ball positioning - which, coincidentally, Ramsdell did when Rivers joined the Chargers. Jurkovec could use similar improvements.

I'm not concerned with the actual motion. In fact, I never said he had a terrible throwing motion. I honestly don't care what it looks like, as long as it gets to the receiver quickly and accurately.

With respect to Rivers, no, I wouldn't change his actual motion. But when he first started in the league, I would have tightened up his release and ball positioning - which, coincidentally, Ramsdell did when Rivers joined the Chargers. Jurkovec could use similar improvements.
Perhaps but it's still college playing against AT MOST a few Sunday players a week.

Let him play and work from there.

As long as Book is here Phil is on the sideline and if that continues next year it's wrong!!!

Did you actually watch the BG game.

Did you not look at and evaluate Phil’s throwing motion, the flight and rotation on the ball and the lack of accuracy on his short TD pass ?

Cause for concern for anyone with a discerning eye.

Echowaker,

As to Wimbush, he never possessed recognition skills, he lacked touch and he was inaccurate, but BK fell in love with his running ability and his offense.

Did you actually watch the BG game.

Did you not look at and evaluate Phil’s throwing motion, the flight and rotation on the ball and the lack of accuracy on his short TD pass ?

Cause for concern for anyone with a discerning eye.

Echowaker,

As to Wimbush, he never possessed recognition skills, he lacked touch and he was inaccurate, but BK fell in love with his running ability and his offense.

Who care about Phil's throwing motion?
If it works, it works.

He showed it works long (NM) and that it works short (BG). So it works.

Nothing that Book does against BG matters, at all. We know he can hammer weak teams. What we don't know is if he can stop sinking the team against good teams.

Book has USC and Michigan to prove that he can actually help the team beat quality opponents, or he'll soon be watching Jurkovec from the bench.

That's reality.

Guaranteed he won't sitting on the bench.

If Book returns it could be transfer city at the QB position in South Bend.

Yeah, that’s been the path most highly rated QBs have taken with the last 5 years official. It’s a real possibility and it sucks.

Yeah, that’s been the path most highly rated QBs have taken with the last 5 years official. It’s a real possibility and it sucks.
Even if he is the backup next year, he'd still have 2 years of eligibility to be the starter at ND. If he leaves after this season, he'd have to sit out next year anyway and he'd still have 2 years at his next spot.

I dont see Phil as the type of player to leave and there is no reason to as he would have the same eligibilty elsewhere as here. I dont think he's going anywhere

There’s so much BS on this thread that’s written as if it’s common knowledge. People love to drive make believe narratives. Total fake news. The newmember dude is so effed up, he makes nasty look like a book groupie. Friedman=newmember21. Lets just hope they’re the same people and not two different lunatics. The world isn’t ready for that kind of crazy times two.

There’s so much BS on this thread that’s written as if it’s common knowledge. People love to drive make believe narratives. Total fake news. The newmember dude is so effed up, he makes nasty look like a book groupie. Friedman=newmember21. Lets just hope they’re the same people and not two different lunatics. The world isn’t ready for that kind of crazy times two.
So you’re admitting to being a book groupie? That truly is nasty

I want book to make this offense explode with better pocket presence and reads/throws downfield. Can he do it? He hasn't shown that ability vs good teams even with a good bit of opportunities. I'm rooting for him big time, but I also know the only thing holding book back is book. This offense needs book to grow up in the pocket and reads. If he does, ND wins the next two games very very likely, if he doesn't, ND has a chance to lose.

I'll be at the USC game. Bucket list check off.

I want book to make this offense explode with better pocket presence and reads/throws downfield. Can he do it? He hasn't shown that ability vs good teams even with a good bit of opportunities. I'm rooting for him big time, but I also know the only thing holding book back is book. This offense needs book to grow up in the pocket and reads. If he does, ND wins the next two games very very likely, if he doesn't, ND has a chance to lose.

You will love the atmosphere. Totally different at night vs daytime. Bring warm clothes though...looks like it will be mid 40s in the 2nd half.

“ He hasn't shown that ability vs good teams”

This isn’t entirely true. He played pretty well against Georgia, not so good against Clemson and/or uva. He also played well against good defenses in n’wstrn & stanford last year too. If you weren’t so extreme in your criticism, I’d have no real issue w/ you, nasty. Some of your posts are too cut and dry and the subject matter isn’t always that clear.

This isn’t entirely true. He played pretty well against Georgia, not so good against Clemson and/or uva. He also played well against good defenses in n’wstrn & stanford last year too. If you weren’t so extreme in your criticism, I’d have no real issue w/ you, nasty. Some of your posts are too cut and dry and the subject matter isn’t always that clear.
I don't think NW and Stanford were good defenses last year. They were both around 40th. I thought book managed the game solid vs georgia, but he was uber uber conservative when having all day back there.

The plays downfield are there to be made, book knows, it the coaches know it, almost all fans know it. Lets start making them vs good teams. It's the difference between losing and winning vs georgia. It's the difference between a close game vs USC/UM and beating them by 10-14+. It's why were were losing at half to Virginia this year, tied with NW last year and losing vs USC at half last year.

I don't think NW and Stanford were good defenses last year. They were both around 40th. I thought book managed the game solid vs georgia, but he was uber uber conservative when having all day back there.

The plays downfield are there to be made, book knows, it the coaches know it, almost all fans know it. Lets start making them vs good teams. It's the difference between losing and winning vs georgia. It's the difference between a close game vs USC/UM and beating them by 10-14+. It's why were were losing at half to Virginia this year, tied with NW last year and losing vs USC at half last year.

Northwestern is the closest I've ever seen book come to playing well against a quality defense.

Depending on what you look at, Northwestern was anywhere from a Fringe Top25 Defense to a Top40 Defense. I'd call them "Good", but absolutely nothing more than that.

Stanford in 2018 wasn't a good defense.

Georgia and Clemson obviously both were, but Book was a disaster against Clemson and he simply didn't do anything, at all, until it was too late against UGA. His UGA performance is exactly what many are talking about......Book simply "not losing the game" for us isn't good enough anymore.

We'll see how USC and Michigan go for Book (plus how those D's end up).

Book doesn’t call the plays.

Would you cite the game clock time when Book was “having all day back there” against Georgia.

The OLINE will determine Book’s and the running game’s fate.

Who care about Phil's throwing motion?
If it works, it works.

He showed it works long (NM) and that it works short (BG). So it works.

Nothing that Book does against BG matters, at all. We know he can hammer weak teams. What we don't know is if he can stop sinking the team against good teams.

Book has USC and Michigan to prove that he can actually help the team beat quality opponents, or he'll soon be watching Jurkovec from the bench.

That's reality.

Fundamentals are critical, just ask Tim Tebow.

PJ’s short TD pass was only completed due to the receiver’s athleticism, not PJ’s throwing ability.

What you and others fail to realize is that it’s the OLINE and receivers who will play the biggest roll in Book’s efforts.

Without time and separation no QB will be successful.

That’s your version of your reality.

Fundamentals are critical, just ask Tim Tebow.

PJ’s short TD pass was only completed due to the receiver’s athleticism, not PJ’s throwing ability.

What you and others fail to realize is that it’s the OLINE and receivers who will play the biggest roll in Book’s efforts.

Without time and separation no QB will be successful.

That’s your version of your reality.

Wait...are you comparing Jurk to a Hesiman and CFB Champion...to discredit him?

In reality, PJ has done nothing but complete dominate his competition.

Now all that tells us is that he's doing what Book is also doing...bc it's shit competition.

But it's a strong indication that if Book continues to stagnate, Jurkovec will indeed overtake him.

The OL has been VERY STRONG in pass blocking.

Anyone watching the games (with a brain) see that. Not perfect, but still quite strong.

How were they at run blocking in their first 3 games.

49 yards against Georgia.

Failures to get first downs from 1, 2 and 3 yards.

The OLINE will determine ND’s success.

That’s reality !

Wait...are you comparing Jurk to a Hesiman and CFB Champion...to discredit him?

In reality, PJ has done nothing but complete dominate his competition.

Now all that tells us is that he's doing what Book is also doing...bc it's shit competition.

But it's a strong indication that if Book continues to stagnate, Jurkovec will indeed overtake him.

Evidently you don’t understand mechanics.

Book went 15/16 for 17 in the first half of the most recent game, how is that stagnating ?

How were they at run blocking in their first 3 games.

49 yards against Georgia.

Failures to get first downs from 1, 2 and 3 yards.

The OLINE will determine ND’s success.

That’s reality !

Are we playing UGA every single weak?

The OL has blocked well enough that Book has had plenty of time in every game and that we can rush effectively the ball against non-playoff teams.

Book has become the rate-limiting reagent of the offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT