ADVERTISEMENT

Book in 2020?

88ND

I've posted how many times?
Sep 9, 2013
I hope not but it's a very real possibility that Book could decide to return in 2020.

IMO this could be disastrous for the QB position with those waiting behind him.

If he decides to return and I see no reason why he'd think the NFL is going to call after this season ...

This mess can all be chalked up to how the whole Wimbush experiment went on entirely way too long.

You mean disastrous if he left right? He likely wouldn’t get drafted and we’d be starting over and losing all those starts and success? Has to be what you mean...

I’ve been hard on book this season but unless you sign a 5 star can’t miss tua/Lawrence type, you hope like hell your 2+ year starter whose what 12-2 comes back. Rarely have we been so lucky to have a guy come back like that.

Reactions: nemeth#5
Guy hasnt lost to a team not ranked in the top 4 and people are hoping he doesnt come back next year......... ironically the same poster who thinks we should fire the head coach of a team that has been very successful the last few years.

And it's thinking like above that keeps you guys (certain fans) wallowing in the almost or getting really close but so sorry.

It's hilarious how some are all giddy over Book compared to what?

Wimbush?

Then again it's possibly the same crew that celebrates Brian Kelly comparing him to Weis and Willingham.

If you want to be the man then compare yourself to the man.

Do you think Ian Book in a high profile game will have that get on my shoulders moment and carry the team to victory?

That's not who he is.

A lot of people love to celebrate certain stats of his but look at the top QB's in the country for a second and ask yourself what are you celebrating?

He's better than Wimbush and beat all the teams we were supposed to beat. Good god stop the presses and throw a party.

Frankly, I don’t think there’s any possibility of Book being drafted. He’s a good college QB, but far from an NFL caliber QB. I fully expect he’ll be back, and the only question is whether he loses his job to competition, either this season or next. Those clamoring for Phil should revisit the Spring game where Phil was just terrible. Not suggesting that Phil hasn’t improved or that he can’t beat out Books for the job, but my enthusiasm for Phil based on his high school performance and hype was sure tamped down by the reality of his performance. Frankly, I think we have seen Book’s ceiling and I would love to see Phil prove he is the better QB, now as opposed to potential, but also thankful we had Book save our season last year and that we have him as our starter until or if someone proves better.

Reactions: irish4life888
Book is a good college QB ... there are a handful of difference makers ... and then a bunch of legit college QBs ... an experienced Book will be better than all but a few QBs.

And it's thinking like above that keeps you guys (certain fans) wallowing in the almost or getting really close but so sorry.

It's hilarious how some are all giddy over Book compared to what?

Wimbush?

Then again it's possibly the same crew that celebrates Brian Kelly comparing him to Weis and Willingham.

If you want to be the man then compare yourself to the man.

Do you think Ian Book in a high profile game will have that get on my shoulders moment and carry the team to victory?

That's not who he is.

A lot of people love to celebrate certain stats of his but look at the top QB's in the country for a second and ask yourself what are you celebrating?

He's better than Wimbush and beat all the teams we were supposed to beat. Good god stop the presses and throw a party.
You’re going to have a tough time pointing out someone that is giddy I mean I have been hyper critical book this season. But we aren’t replacing him with tua that guy isn’t on our radar. Our best shot of winning a shit ton of games this year and next is with book and some improvements in his game.

Frankly, I don’t think there’s any possibility of Book being drafted. He’s a good college QB, but far from an NFL caliber QB. I fully expect he’ll be back, and the only question is whether he loses his job to competition, either this season or next. Those clamoring for Phil should revisit the Spring game where Phil was just terrible. Not suggesting that Phil hasn’t improved or that he can’t beat out Books for the job, but my enthusiasm for Phil based on his high school performance and hype was sure tamped down by the reality of his performance. Frankly, I think we have seen Book’s ceiling and I would love to see Phil prove he is the better QB, now as opposed to potential, but also thankful we had Book save our season last year and that we have him as our starter until or if someone proves better.
L
O
L

I recall the exact same thing being said of Ian Book and Brabdon Wimbush after spring games.

One poster here I believe said Book is the backup for a reason.

I'm the person that told the damn board Book was starting by week 3 last year.

The response...yeah let's change QB after a 2 and 0 start ....

Now they jump on the Book sword too.

I'm telling y'all it will be time for Book to move on.

If you don't like it then blame Kelly for an entirely way too long Wimbush experiment.

This year at present should be Book's final year of eligibility.

Reactions: The Oyster Guy
Guy hasnt lost to a team not ranked in the top 4 and people are hoping he doesnt come back next year......... ironically the same poster who thinks we should fire the head coach of a team that has been very successful the last few years.

Figures......

L
O
L

I recall the exact same thing being said of Ian Book and Brabdon Wimbush after spring games.

One poster here I believe said Book is the backup for a reason.

I'm the person that told the damn board Book was starting by week 3 last year.

The response...yeah let's change QB after a 2 and 0 start ....

Now they jump on the Book sword too.

I'm telling y'all it will be time for Book to move on.

If you don't like it then blame Kelly for an entirely way too long Wimbush experiment.

This year at present should be Book's final year of eligibility.

I disagree with you on a lot of issues, but in this specific instance, I agree.

Yes, Book has the highest season completion percentage of all time for an ND quarterback, and yes, he's on track to break Jimmy's career completion percentage. He has a lot of other great qualities that others have highlighted, but we aren't going to win a NC with him. Ever.

Let's not kid ourselves. Book has consistently shown an inability to sit comfortably in the pocket, as well as an inability to hit wide open receivers. He seems to be scared to throw the deep ball unless his receiver is wide open (unless he knows he HAS to throw it). And his accuracy as of late leaves something to be desired, and his footwork is mediocre at best. He has flashes of brilliance (the way he managed the Georgia game was absolutely incredible), but, on average, I would put him anywhere between the 15th and 20th best QB right now.

Also, Book didn't win the UVA game. Our defense and run game did. Period. You CANNOT go 17-25 for 165 total yards and expect to be in the running for a national championship. He's just too inconsistent. We never know who we are going to get on a week to week basis.

Love the guy, but ND can and should develop better. Personally, I'd prefer a pure pocket passer.

great post.

Reactions: Pennick4
You’re going to have a tough time pointing out someone that is giddy I mean I have been hyper critical book this season. But we aren’t replacing him with tua that guy isn’t on our radar. Our best shot of winning a shit ton of games this year and next is with book and some improvements in his game.
AAhhh...

The key word....improvements in his game.

Have you seen those improvements from last year?
A Quarterback progression if you will.

Let's be serious...Brian Kelly and the QB position has been a roller coaster ride over ten years.

Golson...chosen by kelly
Zaire was better.
Zaire...chosen by Kelly
Kizer was better.

Wimbush...chosen by Kelly
Book is better.

I don't know about you but this is way beyond the backup QB being the most popular guy in town.

What we have behind Book is the unknown.

Most on here pissed and moaned that Book is the ultimate backup and Kelly knows best.

Right up until Book showed everyone Kelly selected the wrong QB for a year plus.

I'm just telling you this team will not get over that hump with a Book/Kelly combo. I say that because Book either can't do certain things or he's not being allowed to do certain things.

If Book stays that means the current log jam at QB gets drawn out another year...again.

These guys are going to be really antsy to play or move up the depth chart.

Another year of sitting exactly where they're at.

Not a good thing

Yep, I want book back and let the best QB win.

I think Book's decision to stay or leave depends on his draft grade. If hes told that he will likely be drafted, then I think leaves. If he's told he's lucky to get a contract as an undrafted free agent, then I think he stays. I do think he has plateaued and this is the best we can expect of him. Not that I'm disappointed with Book's play. I'm just mindful that he was a 3 star QB and in my opinion has maximized his potential.

Reactions: echowaker

Perfectly said, the guys a winner and he has proven he can do so. Why would people want to see him replaced by someone who does not have the play experience Book has? Moving away from a winner is always a difficult task and as of right now I have not seen anyone who can just step in an do what Book is doing.

Perfectly said, the guys a winner and he has proven he can do so. Why would people want to see him replaced by someone who does not have the play experience Book has? Moving away from a winner is always a difficult task and as of right now I have not seen anyone who can just step in an do what Book is doing.
Ya, it blows my mind. I honestly think he will only improve... he may have plateaued physically, but he should only get better and more confident running the offense. Lets not forget he has only started just over one entire season? He has played in some very big games. I think by the end of next year he will be a very polished and dangerous QB.

Ya, it blows my mind. I honestly think he will only improve... he may have plateaued physically, but he should only get better and more confident running the offense. Lets not forget he has only started just over one entire season? He has played in some very big games. I think by the end of next year he will be a very polished and dangerous QB.
He's been in the system for 4 years, started games over the last 3 years. His issues are mental, they are straightforward to detect, but obviously difficult for him to fix.

He's been in the system for 4 years, started games over the last 3 years. His issues are mental, they are straightforward to detect, but obviously difficult for him to fix.
I dont remember him starting games for the last 3 years? And if his issues are mental, and straightforward..... I would think that more playing time would be the best fix.... but I am no D1 football coach.... as I assume you aint either.

I honestly had expectations for him to be a finalist for the Heisman this year. He has not played up to his best, but you are 100 percent right one more year and he really could shine here.

I honestly had expectations for him to be a finalist for the Heisman this year. He has not played up to his best, but you are 100 percent right one more year and he really could shine here.
I think he does best when the run game is rolling.... as most QB's do I guess. I wish we could do a better job at establishing the run early and often.... let Book set up some play actions. Those are the games Book will have the big numbers.

I think he does best when the run game is rolling.... as most QB's do I guess. I wish we could do a better job at establishing the run early and often.... let Book set up some play actions. Those are the games Book will have the big numbers.
You’re about to see a whole lot of two TE sets I imagine. With the emergence of our TEs as blockers last week vs a good uva team to ice the game, I imagine it will get used to bully usc to take advantage of our decided advantages in both trenches (and to play some keep away from their WRs). Getting jafar healthy and keeping tony fresh will help as well.

Yeah to me it is more of a reflection of our O Line who has had an uncharacteristically up and down season to this point. When you cannot run the ball it makes you easier to defend, even against Georgia we did not run well, but the pass protection was at least decently strong. Just need more consistent play from the guys up front.

It also does not help that our weapons on the outside, outside of Claypool have less of a big play making ability than we saw last year. The addition of Kmet will continue to help Book and you have to think that Finke is going to come back to form at some point. There is a lot of games left to get playing to our best ability, I mean honestly we have not seen the offense reach or play to its full potential yet this year. When that happens this team will be much more complete. I mean, it is not like we are lacking talent offensively

You’re about to see a whole lot of two TE sets I imagine. With the emergence of our TEs as blockers last week vs a good uva team to ice the game, I imagine it will get used to bully usc to take advantage of our decided advantages in both trenches (and to play some keep away from their WRs).

I would like that. Two TE set out of a shotgun formation with some pre snap movement would really give the offense some great schemes to play with.

Reactions: napy2121
You’re about to see a whole lot of two TE sets I imagine. With the emergence of our TEs as blockers last week vs a good uva team to ice the game, I imagine it will get used to bully usc to take advantage of our decided advantages in both trenches (and to play some keep away from their WRs). Getting jafar healthy and keeping tony fresh will help as well.

And you wouldn't always have to keep the TE on the line, you could line them up at the Z(slot) depending on match ups. This could force more focus to the middle of the field which opens up outside running lanes if our OL can get blocking on the second level.

Last edited:
You mean disastrous if he left right? He likely wouldn’t get drafted and we’d be starting over and losing all those starts and success? Has to be what you mean...

I’ve been hard on book this season but unless you sign a 5 star can’t miss tua/Lawrence type, you hope like hell your 2+ year starter whose what 12-2 comes back. Rarely have we been so lucky to have a guy come back like that.

Jurkovec is ND's starter in 2020 either way, imo.

Unless Book suddenly evolves in a way he never has, he's not going to be able to hold of Jurkovec.

I dream of watching 22 personnel. Nebraska on one of their early drives last Saturday went back to old-school I-formation football and moved the ball right down field....I was pumped up! They than decided to drop back in shotgun and immediately threw a pick and got dog walked the rest of the way.... but for like 5 plays all of Nebraska was excited lol.

Reactions: Catholicfan95

The team hasn't lost, but Book has played poorly enough against several of those opponents that the team has had to win largely in spite of him, not because of him.

Wimbush was a winner too, but once his confidence deterriorated and he showed he could progress mentally....it was the same situation.

Book is the QB for now, and should be.

But if he doesn't start improving FAST then Jurkovec is going to overtake him....at the very latest by the 2020 season.

We've already seen this situation play out at ND
(not to mention Bama and Clemson too)

What’s this based on?

The fact that Book has failed to improve since taking over as the starter and is currently one of the 2-3 worst starters on the entire team.

Similar situation happened to Wimbush, despite "being a winner" too, and he actually had elite physical potential.

Based on what we're hearing about Jurkovec in practice and the little bit we got to see against New Mexico....this stagnat Book simply won't be able to hold him off.

Book either needs to improve (fast) or Jurkovec will overtake him.

The team hasn't lost, but Book has played poorly enough against several of those opponents that the team has had to win largely in spite of him, not because of him.

Wimbush was a winner too, but once his confidence deterriorated and he showed he could progress mentally....it was the same situation.

But if he doesn't start improving FAST then Jurkovec is going to overtake him....at the very latest by the 2020 season.

The fact that Book has failed to improve since taking over as the starter and is currently one of the 2-3 worst starters on the entire team.

Similar situation happened to Wimbush, despite "being a winner" too, and he actually had elite physical potential.

Based on what we're hearing about Jurkovec in practice and the little bit we got to see against New Mexico....this stagnat Book simply won't be able to hold him off.

Book either needs to improve (fast) or Jurkovec will overtake him.

Yeah, well, thats just like, your opinion man

Except we had reports book ran the offense better before he ever played a game. Then he started v unc and exhibited that when winbush was hurt. Though I wouldn’t say he was dynamic in start 1 you could see he functioned better in the system. Then winbush failed vs grubs like ball st, and we won despite him. When any of this happens for jurkovic or we see book unable to perform vs New Mexico or bowling green, maybe we can talk like these are similar situations.

Yeah, well, thats just like, your opinion man

And the opinion of every football analyst

And the opinion of Brian Kelly
And the opinion of Chip Long
And the opinion of Ian Book himself

This "debate" is going even worse for you than the "ND must join a conf" one.....

Except we had reports book ran the offense better before he ever played a game. Then he started v unc and exhibited that when winbush was hurt. Though I wouldn’t say he was dynamic in start 1 you could see he functioned better in the system. Then winbush failed vs grubs like ball st, and we won despite him. When any of this happens for jurkovic or we see book unable to perform vs New Mexico or bowling green, maybe we can talk like these are similar situations.

Wrong.

The ND offense was amidst maybe it's best stretch EVER when Wimbush was hurt for the UNC game....it was totally dominant. Wimbush was dominant at that time.
He eventually struggled bc he couldn't run the offense Long wanted to, and was replaced.

Additionally, we just watch Book struggle against Louisville and for quite a while against a pathetic New Mexico team.

Then Jurkovec came in and looked better than Book did during his UNC start.

At this point, Book either needs to start improving or Jurkovec will overtake him....by 2020 at the latest.

I hope he does improve.

Reactions: Get Nasty
Lol none of this is true.

Literally each and every one of those is true.

Brian Kelly has publicly said how Book needs to play better.
So has Chip Long.
So has Ian Book himself.

And every analyst has pointed out how inadequate Book's play is currently and how he has not made notable improvements since taking over as the starter.

Those are the facts.
That is why Jurkovec will overtake Book if he doesn't start improving soon.

Reactions: Get Nasty
Wrong.

The ND offense was amidst maybe it's best stretch EVER when Wimbush was hurt for the UNC game....it was totally dominant. Wimbush was dominant at that time.
He eventually struggled bc he couldn't run the offense Long wanted to, and was replaced.

Additionally, we just watch Book struggle against Louisville and for quite a while against a pathetic New Mexico team.

Then Jurkovec came in and looked better than Book did during his UNC start.

At this point, Book either needs to start improving or Jurkovec will overtake him....by 2020 at the latest.

I hope he does improve.
You missed my point entirely, I never said winbush didn’t have the offense rolling when book started v unc, only that reports were out book was high functioning in the offense in practice. Then the next year when winbush couldn’t function v ball st, the door opened for him. The point is, we know nothing about jurkovic because the practice reports of him are far less glowing and far less in sample. He also hasn’t started a game like book. And book boatraces lesser comp on our schedule so nothing about these situations is similar. You have nothing to base this on and is purely conjecture.

Reactions: Catholicfan95
You missed my point entirely, I never said winbush didn’t have the offense rolling when book started v unc, only that reports were out book was high functioning in the offense in practice. Then the next year when winbush couldn’t function v ball st, the door opened for him. The point is, we know nothing about jurkovic because the practice reports of him are far less glowing and far less in sample. He also hasn’t started a game like book. And book boatraces lesser comp on our schedule so nothing about these situations is similar. You have nothing to base this on and is purely conjecture.

It is how newmember operates man. You made good points, you do not need to waste your time trying to validate yourself

Literally each and every one of those is true.

Brian Kelly has publicly said how Book needs to play better.
So has Chip Long.
So has Ian Book himself.

And every analyst has pointed out how inadequate Book's play is currently and how he has not made notable improvements since taking over as the starter.

Those are the facts.
That is why Jurkovec will overtake Book if he doesn't start improving soon.
So saying you need to play better equates to your HC, OC, and yourself thinking you suck and are one of the worse starters on the team? Damn, not only do you seem to be at practice everyday, you are teaching me something new as well.

Low 40's so far in QB rating in CFB.... not great.... not terrible. Room to move either way, my money would be up.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/qbr

ADVERTISEMENT