ADVERTISEMENT

Angelli Should be the starter.

Michigan showed last year that you can win running the ball, playing great defense, with a mobile QB that can effectively hit the twenty yard slant or out. We’re close to this profile, and Leonard’s passing is the major question mark. I fully expected him to be a good twenty yard passer, with the occasional misfire; and I expected him to burn cheating defenses with three or four downfield passes per game. We haven’t seen this from him yet, but I’m still hopeful.
Please don’t compare Riley Leonard to JJ McCarthy.

Apples. Oranges.

Reactions: NDinNJ
Bad comparison. JJ McCarthy threw for 2990 yards, had 22 TD's to 4 INT's. He had 64 rushing attempts for 202 yards, 3.2 ypc and 3 TD's

He averaged 22 pass attempts per game and just 4 rushing attempts per game.

Michigan had more of a balanced attack.
I apparently wasn’t clear. The point I was trying to make is that Michigan was a run dominant team with a great defense, and that they succeeded with a mobile qb who was very good at the twenty yard pass. We should be a run dominant team with Love and Price and Leonard. And we are missing the twenty yard passes and occasional downfield passes that McCarthy succeeded at. Leonard did both at Duke his sophomore year.

I apparently wasn’t clear. The point I was trying to make is that Michigan was a run dominant team with a great defense, and that they succeeded with a mobile qb who was very good at the twenty yard pass. We should be a run dominant team with Love and Price and Leonard. And we are missing the twenty yard passes and occasional downfield passes that McCarthy succeeded at. Leonard did both at Duke his sophomore year.
But he wasn't a mobile QB. Look at his rushing stats, he averaged 3.2 ypc on 64 attempts. He averaged just under 5 rushing attempts per game.

On the flip side, Leonard is averaging 11 rushing attempts per game.

You can't compare the two QB's or the offenses at this point, because Leonard can't spin it, the offense is one dimensional at this point.

Bad comparison. JJ McCarthy threw for 2990 yards, had 22 TD's to 4 INT's. He had 64 rushing attempts for 202 yards, 3.2 ypc and 3 TD's

He averaged 22 pass attempts per game and just 4 rushing attempts per game.

Michigan had more of a balanced attack and McCarthy wasn't as mobile as you believe him to be.
RL at Duke had 2900 yards passing in 22 with 20 passing TDs and 13 rushing TDs.

Very similar numbers to Mccarthy

RL at Duke had 2900 yards passing in 22 with 20 passing TDs and 13 rushing TDs.

Very similar numbers to Mccarthy
I'm not talking about 2 years ago, I'm talking about NOW, in the PRESENT. Plus McCarthy had multiple productive years.

Leonard also had 12 INT's and was barely at a 60% completion rate, McCarthy had just 4 INT's and completed 72% of his passes.

Not similar at all.

I'm not talking about 2 years ago, I'm talking about NOW, in the PRESENT. Plus McCarthy had multiple productive years.

Leonard also had 12 INT's and was barely at a 60% completion rate, McCarthy had just 4 INT's and completed 72% of his passes.

Not similar at all.
McCarthy isn't playing in cfb now so you can't be talking in the present. Stupid comment

Also, your numbers are wrong, he had 20tds to 6 ints. So he had 33 Tds to 6 ints. McCarthy had 25 tds and 4 ints. Leonard had more total yards. McCarthy was more accurate. Although RL was at 64% in 22

So yes very similar. They were both dual threats. Riley numbers overall were better and he was surrounded by much less talent while McCarthy was more accurate and won more

McCarthy isn't playing in cfb now so you can't be talking in the present. Stupid comment

Also, your numbers are wrong, he had 20tds to 6 ints. So he had 33 Tds to 6 ints. McCarthy had 25 tds and 4 ints. Leonard had more total yards. McCarthy was more accurate. Although RL was at 64% in 22

So yes very similar. They were both dual threats. Riley numbers overall were better and he was surrounded by much less talent while McCarthy was more accurate and won more
And this why I don't like to compare single seasons. Anyone can cherry pick a year. Look at JJ McCarthy's career college stats vs Riley Leonard. It's not even close, McCarthy has been far more productive than Leonard. The fact that you are even comparing a national championship QB to Leonard is absurd.

Again there's no similarities, McCarthy has a much better TD to INT ratio, and a much higher completion percentage.

Not similar at all.
Agreed.

Posters telling us that the passing skill set of the Riley Leonard we have watched the last 3 games is similar to JJ McCarthy is silly.

And this why I don't like to compare single seasons. Anyone can cherry pick a year. Look at JJ McCarthy's career college stats vs Riley Leonard. It's not even close, McCarthy has been far more productive than Leonard. The fact that you are even comparing a national championship QB to Leonard is absurd.

Again there's no similarities, McCarthy has a much better TD to INT ratio, and a much higher completion percentage.
He played on a way better team with way more talent around him. Also one of the best coaches in all of football and the best OL in cfb.

Leonard only played 1 full season. How can you compare his career numbers.

The post was about seasons and they are very comparable for that season

More than you'd like to admit. JJs best season is very similar to RLs best season at Duke. Rileys overall stats were better but McCarthy was much more accurate and won a NC

• Haha
He played on a way better team with way more talent around him. Also one of the best coaches in all of football and the best OL in cfb.

Leonard only played 1 full season. How can you compare his career numbers.

The post was about seasons and they are very comparable for that season

More than you'd like to admit. JJs best season is very similar to RLs best season at Duke. Rileys overall stats were better but McCarthy was much more accurate and won a NC
As sjb75 commented, this is a silly argument. It's ridiculous to even compare the two as similar. You are just looking foolish.

Reactions: futuredomer
As sjb75 commented, this is a silly argument. It's ridiculous to even compare the two as similar. You are just looking foolish.
To you because you are ignorant. You are looking at him through 3 games and already have a bias against him

Going back they were very similar. Actually last year, McCarthy wasn't a 1st round prospect according to a lot of writers at this point, like Kiper, while RL was.

Obviously a lot has happened since the injury but at this point last year, a lot of people had RL ahead of McCarthy in the draft circles. Right or wrong, that is true

What does Riley Leonard from two years ago have to do with the last three games?
I'm not talking about his last 3 games. That's not what was brought up. It had nothing to do with 3 games nor did I ever say it did. You did

I'm not talking about his last 3 games. That's not what was brought up. It had nothing to do with 3 games nor did I ever say it did. You did
Of course you are not talking about Riley Leonard’s last 3 games. You don’t. And will not.

It’s why you disappeared after NIU.

Of course you are not talking about Riley Leonard’s last 3 games. You don’t. And will not.

It’s why you disappeared after NIU.
No. I'm responding to what was being talked on about. Why would I talk about something that's not being discussed

That's not why I didn't come on. The board was a joke and still mostly is. People that don't even post talking shit nonstop

Fire Freeman, leonard sucks blah blah blah
A bunch of shit

No. I'm responding to what was being talked on about. Why would I talk about something that's not being discussed
Maybe you've been on the IB forum too long, but We've been discussing Leonard's performance through 3 games at ND, no one on this forum gives a rats ass what he did at Duke two years ago.

You are here 24-7-365.

Why would you say nothing regarding Riley Leonard’s performance immediately after the NIU loss? Anything?

Maybe even the next day?

No idea.

That’s you.

You are here 24-7-365.

Why would you say nothing regarding Riley Leonard’s performance immediately after the NIU loss? Anything?

Maybe even the next day?

No idea.

That’s you.
I didn't post before the game, during the game or after. I came on here after and saw it was an absolute joke so I waited til the fire Freeman Leonard shit died down.

At least Swarbrick is gone now because after every loss he would have been brought up and before that it was Kelly.

This site is a nightmare after a loss

Maybe you've been on the IB forum too long, but We've been discussing Leonard's performance through 3 games at ND, no one on this forum gives a rats ass what he did at Duke two years ago.
You are probably on the IB forum. I am not

The excuses in support of Leonard are incredible. Angeli came in after halftime. The Purdue D had 15 minutes in the locker room. It wasn't the 4th Quarter.
It's not pro/con a qb to point out that Purdue had quit. Even with Angeli's sacks, whoever was in at backup likely wanted the sacks.

Let me ask you, do you believe there was a legitimate QB competition leading up to the season? I don't. The staff got their NIL QB and they told MD this the guy.
Probably not. Do you think there were legitimate competitions for every starting position ? None of us are there everyday. Everyone, everywhere makes mistakes on occasion. Coaches are not immune to that. However they are the most informed when it comes to making decisions as opposed to outsiders.

Reactions: Kelso86
Exactly. This thread was inevitable. I believe Leonard should remain the starter as he is best suited to be QB given ALL the factors surrounding the offense Mike Denbrock wants to run. Now if it was a 7 on 7 tournament absolutely Angeli would be the guy.
Leonard will never be as good of a passer as Angeli. No different than Angeli will never be as good as Leonard in running read option and the occasional RPO. When you have a young inexperienced albeit talented offensive line the run blocking will always mature first. Being adept at pass blocking especially on the outside takes time. While Angeli would improve the downfield passing game his limited mobility becomes a liability given the protection struggles and also pretty much eliminates a major part of your run game.
Leonard has had some success throwing the ball at Duke. Hopefully he finds that again. Nothing can be done to make Angeli an effective runner. It's physical. Leonard showed improvement Saturday. Hopefully he builds on that going forward.

I think given the loss to NIU and how the season and prospect of making the playoffs is very much in peril, starting Angeli is the logical choice. He needs some work too, but the fact that he can stretch the defense with downfield throws is enough. That should free up the running game and take a bit off the o-line. Right now, any team with a stout front 7 should be loading the box on us and daring Riley to throw down the field. Why not? He has not proven he can hurt you with the deep ball or even the intermediate routes.

I think I understand Louisville enough and they should be plenty good enough to give Riley and the offense a lot of issues.

You clearly see WHY ND Wants Riley to be the guy. His running ability is elite, and he SHOULD be able to throw significantly better but he can't mentally right now. He has a huge mental issue going on now where he doesn't trust anything over 5 yards. It's crazy that he missed a few super easy tds vs Purdue and we would have scored even more, if he had any ability to keep his head up, or look downfield, then actually throw it. I'm confident he actually saw some wide open players but didn't trust it.

He is the main reason for our 1 loss. The coaches and him better get it right, another loss and this season is an absolute failure.

I think given the loss to NIU and how the season and prospect of making the playoffs is very much in peril, starting Angeli is the logical choice. He needs some work too, but the fact that he can stretch the defense with downfield throws is enough. That should free up the running game and take a bit off the o-line. Right now, any team with a stout front 7 should be loading the box on us and daring Riley to throw down the field. Why not? He has not proven he can hurt you with the deep ball or even the intermediate routes.

I think I understand Louisville enough and they should be plenty good enough to give Riley and the offense a lot of issues.
In an ideal world you are correct. Pass protection is currently a work in progress and downfield routes need time to develop. I believe ND can run the table with any of their QBs if the offensive line shows growth and improvement going forward. To me that is the most important thing.

Exactly. This thread was inevitable. I believe Leonard should remain the starter as he is best suited to be QB given ALL the factors surrounding the offense Mike Denbrock wants to run. Now if it was a 7 on 7 tournament absolutely Angeli would be the guy.
Leonard will never be as good of a passer as Angeli. No different than Angeli will never be as good as Leonard in running read option and the occasional RPO. When you have a young inexperienced albeit talented offensive line the run blocking will always mature first. Being adept at pass blocking especially on the outside takes time. While Angeli would improve the downfield passing game his limited mobility becomes a liability given the protection struggles and also pretty much eliminates a major part of your run game.
Leonard has had some success throwing the ball at Duke. Hopefully he finds that again. Nothing can be done to make Angeli an effective runner. It's physical. Leonard showed improvement Saturday. Hopefully he builds on that going forward.
Actually a reasonable take. That's not allowed here

Reactions: tbonesays

You know, I don't know, if that makes a lot of sense. I was in favor of starting Angeli, perhaps hastily and tendentiously, but that was before we absolutely mauled Purdue, when it was more understandable and justifiable So the loss is the loss. We are indeed 2-1 with no margin for error. But after the total dominance of Saturday, where RL was able to comfortably redeem himself, being a total impact guy running the ball his forte, and being very serviceable in the passing game as long as the offense is catered to him sufficiently, I don't see where switching QBs now is the obvious thing to do.

Angeli is a good journeyman level talent. He's probably not a future star, otherwise we wouldn't have sought out a transfer. But he was able to get plenty of 2nd half snaps, once again looked good and capable. And thus is ready to go if RL falters. But I feel like they're going to stick with RL for now. Even though I guess you can still make the same argument that RL is just too flawed, and a QB change would be for the better, as big a deal as that is for a team to do, and even though we just won 66-7. I can't deny that. If anything RL looked weaker than ever throwing the ball.

In an ideal world you are correct. Pass protection is currently a work in progress and downfield routes need time to develop. I believe ND can run the table with any of their QBs if the offensive line shows growth and improvement going forward. To me that is the most important thing.
You are correct on all points, however, receivers are getting separation, and have been open downfield. This was seen in all 3 games, and proven vs Purdue when Angeli threw half as many passes for almost as many yards as Leonard.

For some reason Leonard is not looking downfield or pulling the trigger, but receivers are getting open downfield.

I came on here after and saw it was an absolute joke so I waited til the fire Freeman Leonard shit died down.

This site is a nightmare after a loss

And it's just great the rest of the time, isn't? Definitely a great home to rational discussion and healthy mindsets about college sports, let me tell you.

But he wasn't a mobile QB. Look at his rushing stats, he averaged 3.2 ypc on 64 attempts. He averaged just under 5 rushing attempts per game.

On the flip side, Leonard is averaging 11 rushing attempts per game.

You can't compare the two QB's or the offenses at this point, because Leonard can't spin it, the offense is one dimensional at this point.
We disagree. I think McCarthy was very mobile and effectively used his legs to extend plays, etc…. He wasn’t used as a runner, and in fact, they discouraged him running. Not trying to compare his rushing stats or running Ability to Leonard’s, but rather his mobility behind the line to extend plays.

Reactions: echowaker
How do you feel with Craig and Schrauth out?

Slight set back with both. You'll see the impact on bubble screens/pulling as coogan & Spindler don't move as well. But they are experienced and solid, so should not be a big set back.

You may see the line (like at purdue) start even playing better due to better play calling and knapp/pendleton/wagner performing better and better.

Reactions: IrishMike409
It appears Schrauth had the more serious injury. It's a good thing when your backups have significant experience. Wouldn't surprise me to see both out this week given the opponent. Hopefully Craig for sure back for Louisville. If not I'm confident the others will be good enough.

Reactions: IrishMike409
It appears Schrauth had the more serious injury. It's a good thing when your backups have significant experience. Wouldn't surprise me to see both out this week given the opponent. Hopefully Craig for sure back for Louisville. If not I'm confident the others will be good enough.
Good news. I was concerned both out for season.

I would say going into preseason our best 3 OL were Schrauth, Craig and Jagusah.

2 are out for the year and one will be out multiple weeks

I would say going into preseason our best 3 OL were Schrauth, Craig and Jagusah.

2 are out for the year and one will be out multiple weeks
Luckily, they were only a little better than their backups (other than jagusah maybe). I'm considering craigs backup as coogan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT