ADVERTISEMENT

1973 playoff

Looking over ESPN this morning and I found a great article about the 1973 season and how many great teams there were.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...football-powers-went-undefeated-happened-1973

Kinda lengthy but very interesting to think how it would have panned out had there bee a playoff that year.
Just another piece of garbage put out by the masters of garbage. I've no doubt in 1973 ND would beat any team with the nerve or misfortune to face them.

Alabama was a powerhouse. They were beating mostly everyone by 3 or more TDs that year. No one thought ND was going to win, no one. However, what people failed to recognize is that ND was a very physical team. The Bama team was running the wishbone and if done correctly, it was a thing of beauty. They ran it text book perfect. ND was very methodical in their offense. Still, to this day , the '73 Irish hold the record for any ND team with 350 yards rushing per game. Combine that with a shut down defense, you have all the ingredients of a championship team. ND won the 73 sugar bowl, when everyone was sure they would lose. Also, ND beat the same SC team that OU tied. Doesn't that count for something ? The bottom line is this. Alabama was considered the best team that year. ND went down south in the Tide's own backyard and beat them straight up when most teams were just trying not to get blown out.

Of interest to me was the table at the end of the article, where it uses "modern metrics"--a variant of some system that a number of posters here seem fascinated with--to rank the teams at the end of the season, after bowl games were concluded. ND was ranked #4 and Alabama #3, which of course ignores the most important metric: who won the game between ND and Alabama when they actually played? I was sitting in the stands for the game, and I seem to recall the final score was ND 24, Alabama 23. So much for metrics.

Of interest to me was the table at the end of the article, where it uses "modern metrics"--a variant of some system that a number of posters here seem fascinated with--to rank the teams at the end of the season, after bowl games were concluded. ND was ranked #4 and Alabama #3, which of course ignores the most important metric: who won the game between ND and Alabama when they actually played? I was sitting in the stands for the game, and I seem to recall the final score was ND 24, Alabama 23. So much for metrics.

This would indicate that ND winning the game was a statistical anomaly which would appear likely given the 1 point margin of victory.

Unfortunately, due to the physical nature of football and other constraints, teams cannot play each other in a "best of" series to eliminate the occurrence of these statistical anomalies and more accurately identify the superior team on the field through multiple data points.

It appears that when they played, ND was able to get that "1 in 10" victory or whatever it may have been.

Speaking strictly regarding the realities of the aging human body and not to the avoidance of the experience, fortunately I was not yet born to observe the matchup between the teams but I have faith in the advanced metrics of our times that the appropriately superior team was identified to be Alabama regardless of their one single encounter on the field.

Denial and lack of acceptance of things such as advanced metrics lend validated support to the importance of Mother Nature's decision to give all matter a finite existence lest evolution cease to be a phenomenon in the natural world.

This would indicate that ND winning the game was a statistical anomaly which would appear likely given the 1 point margin of victory.

Unfortunately, due to the physical nature of football and other constraints, teams cannot play each other in a "best of" series to eliminate the occurrence of these statistical anomalies and more accurately identify the superior team on the field through multiple data points.

It appears that when they played, ND was able to get that "1 in 10" victory or whatever it may have been.

Speaking strictly regarding the realities of the aging human body and not to the avoidance of the experience, fortunately I was not yet born to observe the matchup between the teams but I have faith in the advanced metrics of our times that the appropriately superior team was identified to be Alabama regardless of their one single encounter on the field.

Denial and lack of acceptance of things such as advanced metrics lend validated support to the importance of Mother Nature's decision to give all matter a finite existence lest evolution cease to be a phenomenon in the natural world.

Hopefully Darwin will take care of you some time soon.

More nonsense from this so called God like poster.

Reactions: shabak

Yeah I agree 100%. It's like playing the game doesn't matter anymore.

And this whole, well that was the 1 out of 10 times they could win excuse is beyond pathetic.

Reactions: Shulkswagen
Yeah I agree 100%. It's like playing the game doesn't matter anymore.

And this whole, well that was the 1 out of 10 times they could win excuse is beyond pathetic.
Just be the best team in the stadium on Saturday and the rest will take care of itself ... unless you are UCF (he he)

Reactions: Catholicfan95

Deadprez3, you seem like a reasonably intelligent fellow, but the fact you spend so much time on this board composing long-winded inanities for no discernible purpose other than self-amusement bespeaks an uninteresting, if not pathetic existence. For your sake I earnestly hope it is not the manifestation of a more deep-seated personality disorder. Whatever its origin, I think I speak for others when I say your schtick has worn terribly thin. This may be fruitless, but may I suggest you contribute to the discourse here by posting seriously? Try it, you may like it.

Deadprez3, you seem like a reasonably intelligent fellow, but the fact you spend so much time on this board composing long-winded inanities for no discernible purpose other than self-amusement bespeaks an uninteresting, if not pathetic existence. For your sake I earnestly hope it is not the manifestation of a more deep-seated personality disorder. Whatever its origin, I think I speak for others when I say your schtick has worn terribly thin. This may be fruitless, but may I suggest you contribute to the discourse here by posting seriously? Try it, you may like it.

Beware engaging with him lol. I've tried and it's exhausting trying to work through his BS.

While admittedly posting here is not my preferred use of leisure time I do find myself in positions where my physical positioning and the limitations that it imposes does lend itself to make posting here the optimal use of my time at that particular instance. I'm sure that is the case for everyone else as well.

I think it important on your part to not misconstrue the eloquence for which I post to the amount of leisure time it consumes. Once you are able to make that distinction, you may feel differently about your perceptions of my plight.

I apologize if my prose is off putting to you. However, others may find it enjoyable and I have received feedback as such.

I will take your suggestion of a personality disorder under advisement but a cursory review of the DSM 5 and its descriptions of a personality disorder may also put those concerns of yours at ease.

I appreciate your concern but please try to remember that every individual has their own separate and unique circumstances in life ranging from lifestyle to cognitive functioning and we cannot hope to ever effectively paint a portrait of an individual's life through mere observation of the frequency or manner for which they post on a football forum.

I apologize if my presence is somewhat off putting to you for some reason or another. You may wish to utilize the ignore feature and then also attempt to ignore the numerous posts in which my content is quoted. Hopefully you do not choose that option and we can continue to have an interesting and productive dialogue.

I ignored that turkey this morning after reading his first post. I still think that the 73 team was Ara's second best team. I still believe the 1970 squad was his best. That squad averaged over 500 yards a game and had a dominating defense. Too bad USC got the better of them in that driving rain storm in the Coliseum on a Saturday night. It should have been Ara's second championship team.

While admittedly posting here is not my preferred use of leisure time I do find myself in positions where my physical positioning and the limitations that it imposes does lend itself to make posting here the optimal use of my time at that particular instance. I'm sure that is the case for everyone else as well.

I think it important on your part to not misconstrue the eloquence for which I post to the amount of leisure time it consumes. Once you are able to make that distinction, you may feel differently about your perceptions of my plight.

I apologize if my prose is off putting to you. However, others may find it enjoyable and I have received feedback as such.

I will take your suggestion of a personality disorder under advisement but a cursory review of the DSM 5 and its descriptions of a personality disorder may also put those concerns of yours at ease.

I appreciate your concern but please try to remember that every individual has their own separate and unique circumstances in life ranging from lifestyle to cognitive functioning and we cannot hope to ever effectively paint a portrait of an individual's life through mere observation of the frequency or manner for which they post on a football forum.

I apologize if my presence is somewhat off putting to you for some reason or another. You may wish to utilize the ignore feature and then also attempt to ignore the numerous posts in which my content is quoted. Hopefully you do not choose that option and we can continue to have an interesting and productive dialogue.
Stop apologizing. Starkey... can you banish him to the cornfield?

Reactions: Rich Starkey
So, of the six teams mentioned, three of them had one tie, which eliminates them. Then the writer admits that Penn State had a weak schedule. That leaves two: ND and Alabama.

overeducated idiots suffer from this quite often

overeducated idiots suffer from this quite often

Nice form!!

Regrettably, I do fear that the overeducated accusation is quite apt.

I must admit to sometimes feeling a bit sheepish when I looked at all of the diplomas on my office wall knowing that only two are currently being put to practical application.

I also must admit when I look back at all of the money that was drained from my family's pocketbook in the pursuit of "higher education" I may consider placing myself in the company of idiots.

Luckily, I have matured out of my "lifetime learner" phase.

It has not all been for nought however. One of my meaningless pursuits did find me in the cozy and charming midwest town of Notre Dame, Indiana for two years over which time I was to form an affinity for our now shared favorite collegiate football team. I shamefully admit that prior to that, my allegiances were somewhat loosely aligned with the University of Southern California although I blame that indiscretion squarely on my upbringing. Please don't hold it against me.

In any event, I look forward to further interactions. You appear to have a sharp wit.

Nice form!!

I must admit to sometimes feeling a bit sheepish when I looked at all of the diplomas on my office wall knowing that only two are currently being put to practical application.

I also must admit when I look back at all of the money that was drained from my family's pocketbook in the pursuit of "higher education" I may consider placing myself in the company of idiots.

It has not all been for nought however. One of my meaningless pursuits did find me in the cozy and charming midwest town of Notre Dame, Indiana for two years over which time I was to form an affinity for our now shared favorite collegiate football team. I shamefully admit that prior to that, my allegiances were somewhat loosely aligned with the University of Southern California although I blame that indiscretion squarely on my upbringing. Please don't hold it against me.

In any event, I look forward to further interactions. You appear to have a sharp wit.
Sadly for you, if you are truly competing for the title of the person most full of himself on this board you are barely in contention for the quarter finals.

How about having a poll on the front page about whether or not to ban him?

That is democratic is it not? And if say 2/3 say out - ban him.

Reactions: Catholicfan95
Nice form!!

"I shamefully admit that prior to that, my allegiances were somewhat loosely aligned with the University of Southern California although I blame that indiscretion squarely on my upbringing. Please don't hold it against me."

No surprise. The same upbringing as chase. Why continue this nonsense with multiple accounts?

You will have your chaseball account back in a few days. Wet water. Notredamerises. Any more aliases to be aware of?

Reactions: HuddleBurger
Don't ban this persona. I like it. Just read between the lines and it is funny as hell. Sounds like that guy from The Walking Dead.

So, of the six teams mentioned, three of them had one tie, which eliminates them. Then the writer admits that Penn State had a weak schedule. That leaves two: ND and Alabama.
PSU played more ranked teams than ND, tOSU, and Michigan (and as many as Bama), yet only their schedule is labeled by the author as being weak.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT