ADVERTISEMENT

64 Team NCAA college football playoff

NDinNJ

I've posted how many times?
Nov 23, 2018
simulation brought to you by ESPN. Hope it never expands beyond 8. But a fun read regardless if you have time to kill.

simulation brought to you by ESPN. Hope it never expands beyond 8. But a fun read regardless if you have time to kill.

A lot of time to kill.

"simulation brought to you by ESPN. Hope it never expands beyond 8. But a fun read regardless if you have time to kill"

From things I have read, it may never get past the current 4. In this age of risk minimization, AD's are not keen on exposing kids to MORE games -- something will have to give somewhere. I know the NCAA is looking at ways to "speed" up the game clock (similar to how the NFL uses the clock) -- they are looking for ways to reduce the amount of snaps per game, thus, the overall wear and tear on the athletes bodies.

"simulation brought to you by ESPN. Hope it never expands beyond 8. But a fun read regardless if you have time to kill"

From things I have read, it may never get past the current 4. In this age of risk minimization, AD's are not keen on exposing kids to MORE games -- something will have to give somewhere. I know the NCAA is looking at ways to "speed" up the game clock (similar to how the NFL uses the clock) -- they are looking for ways to reduce the amount of snaps per game, thus, the overall wear and tear on the athletes bodies.
It's coming.
A little creativity...some first round byes...it will get there.

D1AA has a 24 team playoff now but they've had a playoff for a long time. Last year's champ played 15 games.

First step would be to eliminate conference championship games which are just a shameless money grab
Playing 1 less regular season game does the same thing.

Again...D1AA has been doing a playoff since 1979 (around there)
Last year's champ played 15 games.

Throw some first round bye's in there and it's right on cue. At most the lower seeds without a bye might see 16 games. I'm sorry but when A LOT of these teams are playing a D1AA school (Alabama as example) who could win with their third string...that shouldn't even count as a god damn game

First step would be to eliminate conference championship games which are just a shameless money grab
The money virtually guarantees that they will never be eliminated. Not right or wrong, just reality

Really not a bad idea. With some modification I think we could have a 128 team playoff without really adding more games. (128 team playoff will require 7 games to determine champion).

How it could be done ...
First have a 5 or 6 game "regular season" to determine seedings.
Then have the "playoff" designed so that all teams will play 7 games, (winners bracket, losers bracket, ... etc) ... so final outcome is the teams will be ranked 1 through 128.

The only problem I see is how to determine the home and away sites once the playoff starts. Don't think you want the higher seeds playing all their games at home. The final games can be played at the normal bowl sites.

An example of my thinking ... its not perfect, but I've seen such formats before with fewer schools like the 8 in this example ...

Game 1 : #1 vs #8
Game 2 : #4 vs #5
Game 3 : #3 vs #6
Game 4 : #2 vs #7

Game 5 : Winner Game 1 vs Winner Game 2
Game 6 : Winner Game 3 vs Winner Game 4
Game 7 : Loser Game 1 vs Loser Game 2
Game 8 : Loser Game 3 vs Loser Game 4

Game 9 : Winner Game 5 vs Winner Game 6 (Champ game)
Game 10: Loser Game 5 vs Loser Game 6
Game 11 : Winner Game 7 vs Winner Game 8
Game 12 : Loser Game 7 vs Loser Game 8

Really not a bad idea. With some modification I think we could have a 128 team playoff without really adding more games. (128 team playoff will require 7 games to determine champion).

How it could be done ...
First have a 5 or 6 game "regular season" to determine seedings.
Then have the "playoff" designed so that all teams will play 7 games, (winners bracket, losers bracket, ... etc) ... so final outcome is the teams will be ranked 1 through 128.

The only problem I see is how to determine the home and away sites once the playoff starts. Don't think you want the higher seeds playing all their games at home. The final games can be played at the normal bowl sites.

An example of my thinking ... its not perfect, but I've seen such formats before with fewer schools like the 8 in this example ...

Game 1 : #1 vs #8
Game 2 : #4 vs #5
Game 3 : #3 vs #6
Game 4 : #2 vs #7

Game 5 : Winner Game 1 vs Winner Game 2
Game 6 : Winner Game 3 vs Winner Game 4
Game 7 : Loser Game 1 vs Loser Game 2
Game 8 : Loser Game 3 vs Loser Game 4

Game 9 : Winner Game 5 vs Winner Game 6 (Champ game)
Game 10: Loser Game 5 vs Loser Game 6
Game 11 : Winner Game 7 vs Winner Game 8
Game 12 : Loser Game 7 vs Loser Game 8

I don't really agree with anything over 8 game playoffs. 128 team playoff wouldn't be much different (in effect) than watching all these new money making but boring bowl games they've added. I mean, the Jimmy Kimmel Bowl? Pardon the pun but, Jimmy, take a hike.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT