ADVERTISEMENT

12 Team CFP will soon be 14, 16...

You like the NFL then go there
College football was always special as every game counted; and all that went with it
the more playoff games you have the more likely that the best team has a bad day and a lesser team wins on that lucky happenstance
So much for your claims
What a stupid comment. Lets just vote for a mythical champ. Why decide it on the field when we can just hold a "beauty" contest and vote for our favorite team. Every college sport has playoffs/tournaments in all divisions. Div 1 football was archaic. Playoff are here to stay. In fact there is talk of a 14 game playoff for 2025 season when the new contract is due. It will eventually go to 16 and probably stop. Im all for it.

What a stupid comment. Lets just vote for a mythical champ. Why decide it on the field when we can just hold a "beauty" contest and vote for our favorite team. Every college sport has playoffs/tournaments in all divisions. Div 1 football was archaic. Playoff are here to stay. In fact there is talk of a 14 game playoff for 2025 season when the new contract is due. It will eventually go to 16 and probably stop. Im all for it.
Every college sport play alot more games which makes them more volatile
College football is special in this manner.

You like the NFL then go there
College football was always special as every game counted; and all that went with it
the more playoff games you have the more likely that the best team has a bad day and a lesser team wins on that lucky happenstance
So much for your claims
I love the NFL. And the NFL Playoffs are a great watch.

Reactions: Chitown11
If it gets to 32 the regular season games will be of less significance
They already have lost significance.

Guess they will push agendas to get each team playing up to 16-17 games annually like the pros. Will have to expand schollies, as injuries will mount

It certainly dilutes the regular season for the top teams— allowing them to lose multiple games. The contrary, the 12 team playoff will increase the meaning for say, two 8-2 teams battling it out towards the end of the season. That will be nice.

I do wish they would get rid of the conference title games. Those seem like a money grab. Just make the conference champion those who win the conference by conference record. The auto bids should follow the same rhetoric.

Lastly, if I could change one more thing about the playoff, I’d make the first two rounds on campus. On campus games are what make college football special. It would also incentivize teams even further to have a higher seed for home field advantage, which would help with the regular season being deluted. I think it’s pretty lame if you earn a bye, you don’t get a home playoff game.

Ok last one, make the Rose Bowl the National Title every year. But what do I know, I’m just a keyboard warrior 😂.
I think the 12 team playoff is alright, and I'm a total playoff purist, and in a perfect world it would be nothing but automatic bids, with like a 16 team field and all the non P5 leagues getting a bid just like the b-ball tourney. But football is different, and a 12 team field seems like a pretty good number. As long as all the P5 leagues, or P4 I suppose, get auto bids, and at least one minnow Boise St type team gets in, just for the good sportsmanship if nothing else, then 12 teams rocks. With a first round bye, and 7 at large bids. We're all used to at large bids thanks to March madness, and I personally don't mind the committee handpicking those at-large bids, as long as the conference champions get in. Winning your conference has to mean qualification for the playoff. I don't care what your ranking is. No questions asked, no strings attached, you win your league and you're in. And home field advantage all the way through with only the title game itself on a neutral field. Just like the NFL. If I was in charge.

16 teams would also be fine, with even more at large bids. But it does sort of dilute it a little bit. With twelve teams you still get four rounds over three weeks, which is epic. And will totally match March madness for pure awesomeness and spectacle and drama and all of it. I can't effin' wait....

I agree completely completely

Now with this many times in the CFPO there will only be one winner and everyone else will be losers....and then there's the possibilty of a 2011 NFL type champion when a 9-7 Giants won the SB
Isn't that awesome
Yeah it is awesome. What is your morbid obsession with the death march of the undefeated regular season? All of this shit is totally arbitrary, and there's nothing special or sacred about it, it was just an accident of history. And now it's finally being corrected. And good riddance to the old, archaic, shitty sorry-ass regime of the bowls and the polls.

Seriously, it's effed up. I don't know what it says about sports fans who cling to the past and can't let go of the palpably lame, shitty way we previously settled on a champion if it can even be called that. No other sports anywhere in the world do it like that for a reason. Because it sucks. We finally have a true playoff, or pretty damn close, and it's been a long time coming....

Yeah it is awesome. What is your morbid obsession with the death march of the undefeated regular season? All of this shit is totally arbitrary, and there's nothing special or sacred about it, it was just an accident of history. And now it's finally being corrected. And good riddance to the old, archaic, shitty sorry-ass regime of the bowls and the polls.

Seriously, it's effed up. I don't know what it says about sports fans who cling to the past and can't let go of the palpably lame, shitty way we previously settled on a champion if it can even be called that. No other sports anywhere in the world do it like that for a reason. Because it sucks. We finally have a true playoff, or pretty damn close, and it's been a long time coming....
AMEN BROTHER!!!!!

sure. And one could argue that our 77 team who was #5 and jumped to the NC got special treatment
But your claim that the regular season is not diluted is patently false but you refuse to admit it
How did we get special treatment? All the dominos fell in our favor. We beat the ever living snot out of "unbeatable" #1 Texas in the Cotton Bowl 38-10. And Lou Holtz and Arkansas killed Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl to take Oklahoma out of the equation. Lou Holtz was head coach at ND for our last two national titles(1988-1993) and was a major reason why we won the 1977 national title.

• Haha
Reactions: ivan brunetti

Seriously, it's effed up. I don't know what it says about sports fans who cling to the past and can't let go of the palpably lame, shitty way we previously settled on a champion if it can even be called that. No other sports anywhere in the world do it like that for a reason. Because it sucks. We finally have a true playoff, or pretty damn close, and it's been a long time coming.

Lmfao
"nothing special about an undefeated regular season", but you know what is special in this amateur sport?
A 12 to 16 team playoff with bought and paid for players right?
I imagine you think Saban is clueless as well.
" "What we have now is not college football—not college football as we know it. You hear somebody use the word 'student-athlete.' That doesn't exist."

Last edited:
Lmfao
"nothing special about an undefeated regular season", but you know what is special in this amateur sport?
A 12 to 16 team playoff with bought and paid for players right?
I imagine you think Saban is clueless as well.
" "What we have now is not college football—not college football as we know it. You hear somebody use the word 'student-athlete.' That doesn't exist."
What in the hell does that have to do with expanding the playoffs? The NIL will/is ruining college football as we know it, however there is no difference between bought and paid for players regardless whether its a 4 or 12 team playoff. 12 is better and 4 SUCKS.

What in the hell does that have to do with expanding the playoffs? The NIL will/is ruining college football as we know it, however there is no difference between bought and paid for players regardless whether its a 4 or 12 team playoff. 12 is better and 4 SUCKS.
If it's going to crash let it crash spectacularly huh
The pageantry is gone

If it's going to crash let it crash spectacularly huh
The pageantry is gone
Pageantry? For cripes sake, go to the Rose Bowl parade if you want pageantry. I guarantee you that 99% of the kids want a larger playoff format. Get out of the dinosaur age.

They both fall under the category of professionalism. College football sells the idea that we are watching college students play an extracurricular.

Pageantry? For cripes sake, go to the Rose Bowl parade if you want pageantry. I guarantee you that 99% of the kids want a larger playoff format. Get out of the dinosaur age.
So this is all about what the kids want?
Like the loudest brat in the store screaming give me give me give me.
When has it become about them?
So now we are trading who deserves to be crown the best team in the nation by what they've done through a long season and attendind school to whose the luckiest?
I get it all structures decay just look around. The pageantry wasn't ever ABOUT the kids they were a participant in the celebration.
The Rose Bowl Parade was part of the pageantry and you throw it aside like it was an offence.
Now you get the realignment super conferences, HS kids getting millions with little loyalty to no one but themselves with opportunities to transfer to the next millions at the end of each season, and a playoff format that allows the least best in the nation to win it all.
So to hell with tradition the kids want something else after all they are the new adults in the room now right?

So this is all about what the kids want?
Like the loudest brat in the store screaming give me give me give me.
When has it become about them?
So now we are trading who deserves to be crown the best team in the nation by what they've done through a long season and attendind school to whose the luckiest?
I get it all structures decay just look around. The pageantry wasn't ever ABOUT the kids they were a participant in the celebration.
The Rose Bowl Parade was part of the pageantry and you throw it aside like it was an offence.
Now you get the realignment super conferences, HS kids getting millions with little loyalty to no one but themselves with opportunities to transfer to the next millions at the end of each season, and a playoff format that allows the least best in the nation to win it all.
So to hell with tradition the kids want something else after all they are the new adults in the room now right?
Obviously you have never competed in sports.

It should be 8 or 16 teams and Las Vegas should rank the top 8 or 16 teams

Well my Nj/Pa state wrestling trophies say otherwise
Good for you !

No one can ever take your achievements away from you

And having the trophies to prove it makes it even sweeter

Good for you

Last edited:
All this reminds of past debates as the NCAA basketball tournament kept expanding. Do you want to Crown the team that was the best based on their entire season, or the team that was playing best at the end of the tourney? I was not a proponent of all the expansion and the guaranteed berths, and yet the tournaments have been wildly popular and exciting. I’m much more bothered by the abuse of unregulated NIL and the Wild West transfer portal.

All this reminds of past debates as the NCAA basketball tournament kept expanding. Do you want to Crown the team that was the best based on their entire season, or the team that was playing best at the end of the tourney? I was not a proponent of all the expansion and the guaranteed berths, and yet the tournaments have been wildly popular and exciting. I’m much more bothered by the abuse of unregulated NIL and the Wild West transfer portal.
NIL and new transfer rules have F uped college football, only going to get worse unfortunately

Great! If you were one of the top wrestlers would you rather wrestle with the top contenders or just have 13 people vote for who they thought would be the champion?
That silly the format is different
Besides a grueling season and tournaments you then go to districts then regional then states.
Football is a walk in the park compared to what wrestlers go through

Besides a grueling season and tournaments you then go to districts then regional then states.
Football is a walk in the park compared to what wrestlers go through
I played three sports in high school and two in college, football at both. Had friends who only wrestled, and they were stronger and in better condition. Participated in a couple wrestling workouts and was Exhausted beyond anything I felt after our summer two day practices in football.

Alot of football players wrestled to stay in shape for the next season of football.
I was small in high school (tall but 130lbs my Sr season). I did the opposite I played football ball (LB) took a beating just to stay in shape to wrestle. If there's any other small lbers out there I felt your pain

I played three sports in high school and two in college, football at both. Had friends who only wrestled, and they were stronger and in better condition. Participated in a couple wrestling workouts and was Exhausted beyond anything I felt after our summer two day practices in football.
Good for you

Most people don’t realize the degree of conditioning required to wrestle or box

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Yep wrestling is brutal

Alot of football players wrestled to stay in shape for the next season of football.
I was small in high school (tall but 130lbs my Sr season). I did the opposite I played football ball (LB) took a beating just to stay in shape to wrestle. If there's any other small lbers out there I felt your pain
I was pretty small for a LB - 5'10" 180 soaking wet, that was back in 1982-84

Reactions: Telx1

I was pretty small for a LB - 5'10" 180 soaking wet, that was back in 1982-84
What amazes me is the size difference with each generation. When I played in 1968, 175-180 was about the average size for linebacker, and our DL probably averaged 210. The height and weight and agility of the kids we’re recruiting today are so superior to my generation that it’s hard to grasp. Estime in high school was bigger than the nose guard on our team!

What amazes me is the size difference with each generation. When I played in 1968, 175-180 was about the average size for linebacker, and our DL probably averaged 210. The height and weight and agility of the kids we’re recruiting today are so superior to my generation that it’s hard to grasp. Estime in high school was bigger than the nose guard on our team!
Agreed!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT