ADVERTISEMENT

12 Team CFP will soon be 14, 16...

12 was never the right number. It should have been 8 or 16. Too much money involved so I see this thing going to 16 in the years ahead. Don't think it will go higher then that.

32 is ridiculous. 12 already dilutes the regular season.

12 hardly dilutes the season. You want to go back to the BCS BS with two teams or better yet no playoff at all. We can have a mythical Champ by popular vote.
This was predictable when they instituted the 4 team playoff and possibly the two team playoff called the BCS. Once the golden goose is in the kitchen it has to be cooked.

The regular season was already diluted starting in 2014. Bama misses several national titles without their playoff mulligan in the back pocket.

Reactions: BGI User 756
The CFP expansion makes CF even more of a corporate event than it has been historically. I have only been to a few ND bowl games and really don’t have interest in going personally because of the cost and timing (over the holidays). To be able to afford 4 consecutive games (all done with short notice travel plans) would probably cost >$10-15k/person and that assumes reasonable game tix. Football will need to become a major (an official one as opposed to the unofficial ones today) because the focus and pressure on football success will escalate and players/students will have too many distractions for these last weeks of the semester.

12 hardly dilutes the season. You want to go back to the BCS BS with two teams or better yet no playoff at all. We can have a mythical Champ by popular vote.
it does dilute the regular season to some extent; when it ensures that teams can lose several games and still make the playoffs. Trying to claim otherwise is ridiculous.
ONCE upon a time if you lost one game you were hanging by your fingernails if you wanted a shot at the NC

Now you can lose two and shrug; and still have a shot with three losses

If that does not reduce the importance of the regular season, then why have it at all?

For those that claim a big playoff pool does not dilute the regular season I give these examples:
1964, 1970, 1989, 1993
In each of those years one loss by ND during the regular season cost them a national championship
Just this last season -if you count CCG's as regular season and I believe that is reasonable
BOTH OSU and GEORGIA only lost one game but did not make the playoffs
This year they will
Now try and tell me the playoffs do not dilute the importance of the regular season

Further evidence:
In the NFL two seasons ago the Tampa Bay Buccaneers won their division with a losing record and had a home playoff game
UNDER the current format that is now possible in CFB
Incredibly unlikely but possible.
What you could get was outlined in the Big Ten
Iowa, who was at best a mediocre team with a very good D and a TERRIBLE OFFENSE won the division and played for the Conference Championship and got ROLLED as they should been
BUT what if by some semi miracle they beat Michigan.
Then they were in the Conference Championship though LAST year the committee could have rightfully said does not matter that you did you are not good enough
NOW that safety valve is gone for the top conferences.
so there is no reason by the numbers a team with five or more losses could not qualify for the playoffs

I call that making the regular season a lot less important

Reactions: BGI User 756
Of course it dilutes the season. A significant part of the passion I feel during a ND game used to come from the fact I knew even one loss would eliminate them from a National Championship. Then...two losses would eliminate from a good bowl game etc. Now in theory it's like the Chiefs....can stink it up a few games and still be Super Bowl Champions.

For those that claim a big playoff pool does not dilute the regular season I give these examples:
1964, 1970, 1989, 1993
In each of those years one loss by ND during the regular season cost them a national championship
Just this last season -if you count CCG's as regular season and I believe that is reasonable
BOTH OSU and GEORGIA only lost one game but did not make the playoffs
This year they will
Now try and tell me the playoffs do not dilute the importance of the regular season

Further evidence:
In the NFL two seasons ago the Tampa Bay Buccaneers won their division with a losing record and had a home playoff game
UNDER the current format that is now possible in CFB
Incredibly unlikely but possible.
What you could get was outlined in the Big Ten
Iowa, who was at best a mediocre team with a very good D and a TERRIBLE OFFENSE won the division and played for the Conference Championship and got ROLLED as they should been
BUT what if by some semi miracle they beat Michigan.
Then they were in the Conference Championship though LAST year the committee could have rightfully said does not matter that you did you are not good enough
NOW that safety valve is gone for the top conferences.
so there is no reason by the numbers a team with five or more losses could not qualify for the playoffs

I call that making the regular season a lot less important
It is a zero sum game. When you add games the other pieces of the pie get smaller.

Your example of 2023 Iowa will now be regular. There were several BUGwest teams that finish 12-0 or 11-1 and get waxed in the CCG because they had not played anyone who was actually good until then. Now all of them will be gifted a playoff spot. Some will butt heads with their 1970s offense with ND.

Oh please, some years will have 3 loss teams in the playoff. Definition of dilute is weakening, this will allow weaker teams who didn’t prove it during the regular season a chance.

Oh please, some years will have 3 loss teams in the playoff. Definition of dilute is weakening, this will allow weaker teams who didn’t prove it during the regular season a chance.
Its going to be great. Cannot wait till next year for 12 team playoff. Its about fricking time

Reactions: NDinNJ
It certainly dilutes the regular season for the top teams— allowing them to lose multiple games. The contrary, the 12 team playoff will increase the meaning for say, two 8-2 teams battling it out towards the end of the season. That will be nice.

I do wish they would get rid of the conference title games. Those seem like a money grab. Just make the conference champion those who win the conference by conference record. The auto bids should follow the same rhetoric.

Lastly, if I could change one more thing about the playoff, I’d make the first two rounds on campus. On campus games are what make college football special. It would also incentivize teams even further to have a higher seed for home field advantage, which would help with the regular season being deluted. I think it’s pretty lame if you earn a bye, you don’t get a home playoff game.

Ok last one, make the Rose Bowl the National Title every year. But what do I know, I’m just a keyboard warrior 😂.

It certainly dilutes the regular season for the top teams— allowing them to lose multiple games. The contrary, the 12 team playoff will increase the meaning for say, two 8-2 teams battling it out towards the end of the season. That will be nice.

I do wish they would get rid of the conference title games. Those seem like a money grab. Just make the conference champion those who win the conference by conference record. The auto bids should follow the same rhetoric.

Lastly, if I could change one more thing about the playoff, I’d make the first two rounds on campus. On campus games are what make college football special. It would also incentivize teams even further to have a higher seed for home field advantage, which would help with the regular season being deluted. I think it’s pretty lame if you earn a bye, you don’t get a home playoff game.

Ok last one, make the Rose Bowl the National Title every year. But what do I know, I’m just a keyboard warrior 😂.
Rose Bowl won't go for that. They want to keep the game Jan 1. They care more about the Tournament of Roses traditions.

12 was never the right number. It should have been 8 or 16. Too much money involved so I see this thing going to 16 in the years ahead. Don't think it will go higher then that.
How is a playoff system with this many teams any better than voters

Some team dominates the regular season only to be upset by the 11th team on a fluke
play?
Some team dominates the regular wins the playoff game, but the most important player get hurt and is out for the playoffs, and their back played litte to no games?
Do they get removed like FSU did?

There are to many scenarios to show the regular season is meaningless, and the actual best team in the nation is out, and the luckiest won.

What a shit show

Reactions: tbonesays
Since players are transferring and opting out of bowl games, bowl games have lost their merit. I would be in favor of 12 regular season games, no conference championship games, and a 16 team playoff seeded 1-16. The championship game will feature 2 teams who are playing their 16th game. That's more than enough for a year.

Since players are transferring and opting out of bowl games, bowl games have lost their merit. I would be in favor of 12 regular season games, no conference championship games, and a 16 team playoff seeded 1-16. The championship game will feature 2 teams who are playing their 16th game. That's more than enough for a year.
Meanwhile, back to reality.

Some team dominates the regular season only to be upset by the 11th team on a fluke
play?
Some team dominates the regular wins the playoff game, but the most important player get hurt and is out for the playoffs, and their back played litte to no games?

There are to many scenarios to show the regular season is meaningless, and the actual best team in the nation is out, and the luckiest won.

What a shit show
I couldn't disagree with you more. Hell lets go back to the "mythical" champ where they get voted in. In fact while they are at it, lets get rid of the mens basketball tourney, NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL lets get rid of those also. We can form committees and everyone can vote for their favorite Champion! It will make the regular season so much better, SMFH

I couldn't disagree with you more. Hell lets go back to the "mythical" champ where they get voted in. In fact while they are at it, lets get rid of the mens basketball tourney, NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL lets get rid of those also. We can form committees and everyone can vote for their favorite Champion! It will make the regular season so much better, SMFH
Well I'm for getting rid of NDs mens basketball and bringing mens wrestling back.
Now to your rant on Pro leagues.
I could careless about those aside from hockey.
At least with the voters the teams proved themselves in the regular season deserve the acknowledgement.

Well I'm for getting rid of NDs mens basketball and bringing mens wrestling back.
Now to your rant on Pro leagues.
I could careless about those aside from hockey.
At least with the voters the teams proved themselves in the regular season deserve the acknowledgement.
Right, wasn't it awesome when in 1993 Florida St won the mythical Championship over ND even though ND beat them in the regular season? All because the voters wanted Bowden to get a NC.

Reactions: TPirish and NDinNJ
Right, wasn't it awesome when in 1993 Florida St won the mythical Championship over ND even though ND beat them in the regular season? All because the voters wanted Bowden to get a NC.
sure. And one could argue that our 77 team who was #5 and jumped to the NC got special treatment
But your claim that the regular season is not diluted is patently false but you refuse to admit it

sure. And one could argue that our 77 team who was #5 and jumped to the NC got special treatment
But your claim that the regular season is not diluted is patently false but you refuse to admit it
Its not diluted in the slightest. In fact the regular season is even better. In the old BS system if you started out 2-2 the season was over. No chance of making the playoffs even if you ended up 10-2. Thats what I call diluted. Im happier then a pig in shit that we FINALLY have a decent playoff system. Bring it on although its about 30 years late.

Its not diluted in the slightest. In fact the regular season is even better. In the old BS system if you started out 2-2 the season was over. No chance of making the playoffs even if you ended up 10-2. Thats what I call diluted. Im happier then a pig in shit that we FINALLY have a decent playoff system. Bring it on although its about 30 years late.
I think it's a stretch to say your season is over. You're likely out of reach for the championship game, yes. But how many teams can realistically expect to compete for the championship game? Only a handful. At 2-2 you can still have a 10+ win season, potentially get to a conference championship game and get to a BCS bowl, which at the time was a huge deal with no opt-outs and we saw a lot of competitive games as a result. At 2-2 there is still a lot to play for in my opinion.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Well if you start out 2-2 more than not it should be over.
And now the deep pockets can buy a championship

Agree, I never understood the 12 team playoff

Agree, I never understood the 12 team playoff
I believe what they were aiming for at the time were the 5 power 5 conference champions plus the best group of 5 conference champion taking up 6 slots, and 6 at-large slots.

play?

What a shit show
but they SETTLE IT ON THE FIELD. But not on the field in September, or October. The field only settles things after Thanksgiving. We should say settle it on a frozen fake field.
So it is diluted because your team just got two losses forgiven.

I believe what they were aiming for at the time were the 5 power 5 conference champions plus the best group of 5 conference champion taking up 6 slots, and 6 at-large slots.
I really don’t know, but I think it was a built-in bias vis-à-vis the byes

I really don’t know, but I think it was a built-in bias vis-à-vis the byes
All the pundits are talking about how difficult it is for Notre Dame to go through the playoffs, but in reality, while the top 2 teams in each conference play for a conference championship, Notre Dame is sitting it out. When it's all said and done It ends up equaling out.

You could make a case that the losers of the conference championship games will have the hardest path as they played a 13th game, lost, and now need to win 4 straight to win a title.

All the pundits are talking about how difficult it is for Notre Dame to go through the playoffs, but in reality, while the top 2 teams in each conference play for a conference championship, Notre Dame is sitting it out. When it's all said and done It ends up equaling out.

You could make a case that the losers of the conference championship games will have the hardest path as they played a 13th game, lost, and now need to win 4 straight to win a title.
Exactly. In the NFL how many wild card teams that won 4 in a row have won the super bowl? Quite a few. Bottom line... show up anytime, anywhere and win.

You like the NFL then go there
College football was always special as every game counted; and all that went with it
the more playoff games you have the more likely that the best team has a bad day and a lesser team wins on that lucky happenstance
So much for your claims

I think it's a stretch to say your season is over. You're likely out of reach for the championship game, yes. But how many teams can realistically expect to compete for the championship game? Only a handful. At 2-2 you can still have a 10+ win season, potentially get to a conference championship game and get to a BCS bowl, which at the time was a huge deal with no opt-outs and we saw a lot of competitive games as a result. At 2-2 there is still a lot to play for in my opinion.
I agree completely completely

Now with this many times in the CFPO there will only be one winner and everyone else will be losers....and then there's the possibilty of a 2011 NFL type champion when a 9-7 Giants won the SB
Isn't that awesome

You like the NFL then go there
College football was always special as every game counted; and all that went with it
the more playoff games you have the more likely that the best team has a bad day and a lesser team wins on that lucky happenstance
So much for your claims
Exactly

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT