ADVERTISEMENT

Life of a once great brand: 2nd rate talent and 2nd rate coaching staff

When you have a really good head coach, assistant coaches come and go like used underwear and the gravy train keeps rolling. But we still don't know whether Marcus Freeman is that kind of coach, especially this early in his career. Losing a really good offensive coach in Rees after losing Brian Kelly (another guy with a reputation for developing above average P5 offenses) is a tough blow to the organization and it isn't getting the respect it deserves.

Was ND creating offenses that were national championship worthy under BK and Rees? No they were not, but their offenses were rock solid in the top half of the P5 most years with mostly 3 & 4 star players. ND loses those guys and their huge salaries and replace them with Marcus Freeman, Gerad Parker, and Gino Guidugli?

I'm expecting some real growing pains offensively upcoming and for no reason. ND has the pocketbooks to go out there and get the best offensive coordinator money can buy but they just don't do it.
I expect the offense to score more points this season than any year under Rees.

The only coach we lost that really hurts is Heistand. I think qb coaching was upgraded

I'm also in the camp for not fretting over losing TR. Maybe Saban will develop him? He sure will look better given the superior talent and program, but I was never convicted he was there yet.

The more concerning thing is losing him in the 1st place. And seemingly not being able to get next level replacements. I'm not sure it is even money, as much as the perception of wanting to win a NC, at least in the coaching dept. I feel for Marcus Freeman here.

The crossroads is here. It will be interesting how college football turns out. I sense ND might be drawing a line with transfer, NIL, and becoming semipro. Seems like a new super league might eventually form, a true semipro league...one I just can't see ND joining.

As always, I wish ND did what it could to keep pace. No compromising ideals, but offering reasonable, progressive academic accommodation. Advisory on NIL, saving and investing, stewarding young men into responsibility...while getting an education...while upholding a Catholic identity brand that appeals well beyond ND.

Maybe ND gives up this? Father Jenkins said: https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/11/...ds-firm-amid-shifts-in-college-athletics.html

“If tomorrow you told me, you just can’t do what you want to do in athletics and you’re going to have to shut it down, and we would have club sports, something like that — I don’t think it would significantly impact the revenue,” Father Jenkins says. Some alumni and donors might revolt, he acknowledges. “But just in terms of a financial proposition, I don’t think it would impact the academy.”

Hmmm.

“You made the ‘Hmmm’ there,” he says, detecting the doubt prompted by recollections of, say, Alabama-Birmingham trying to shut down its football program, only to have outraged supporters swiftly revive it. Isn’t talk of such a move at Notre Dame more a theoretical exercise than a practical consideration? An existential matter only, to be debated by scholars over a couple of Father Hesburgh Manhattans?

Father Jenkins’s tone faintly suggests: Try me. “Would someone who was going to give a gift to Notre Dame for a chair in philosophy or physics not give it if we did without football?” he asks. “I don’t think so.”

The die has long been cast. ND is trying, but will do only so much to keep pace. It is what it is.

If facts are facts then you have your facts wrong !

“Our best talent” many, if not most on this board wanted Rees fired !
Now suddenly he’s “our best talent”

Swarbrick’s hiring of Freeman had NOTHING to do with not paying “new market rate” for a coach. You’re clueless regarding the search for a new coach after Kelly fooked us.

The beauty of the First Amendment is that it let’s us identify the morons, like you.

You don’t have a clue when it comes to where and how wisely ND spends its money !
Swarbrick is the worst AD in the country and he’s the highest paid. He hasn’t won anything. Looks like money horribly spent.

I'm also in the camp for not fretting over losing TR. Maybe Saban will develop him? He sure will look better given the superior talent and program, but I was never convicted he was there yet.

The more concerning thing is losing him in the 1st place. And seemingly not being able to get next level replacements. I'm not sure it is even money, as much as the perception of wanting to win a NC, at least in the coaching dept. I feel for Marcus Freeman here.

The crossroads is here. It will be interesting how college football turns out. I sense ND might be drawing a line with transfer, NIL, and becoming semipro. Seems like a new super league might eventually form, a true semipro league...one I just can't see ND joining.

As always, I wish ND did what it could to keep pace. No compromising ideals, but offering reasonable, progressive academic accommodation. Advisory on NIL, saving and investing, stewarding young men into responsibility...while getting an education...while upholding a Catholic identity brand that appeals well beyond ND.

Maybe ND gives up this? Father Jenkins said: https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/11/...ds-firm-amid-shifts-in-college-athletics.html

The die has long been cast. ND is trying, but will do only so much to keep pace. It is what it is.
If you are waiting for Notre Dame Football to model itself after the upper echelon of the SEC or certain teams in the deep South, who have dominated national titles in CFB the last 15 years, don't waste your time.

There, you’ve said it. THE ONE SIMPLE TRUTH.

I’m reminded of accounts I’ve read by reliable historians that following Germany’s failure to take Moscow in 1941, Hitler was visited by a number of the country’s leading industrialists – Thyssen, the Krupps, others (some of whose successors, four decades later, I would do business with) – who told him FLATOUT that the war was, in effect, LOST as Germany could in no way sustain a drawn-out campaign of attrition on two fronts given the Allies’ greater resources.

Hitler, of course, being Hitler wouldn’t hear of it, intent as he was on TOTAL ARMAGEDDON.

I’m CERTAIN ND football isn’t headed for Armageddon, but I do believe that unless it REMAKES ITSELF, it’s no longer suited for a CHAMPIONSHIP ROLE in the new and more blatantly MONETIZED brand of CFB currently emerging. And if the decision has already been made NOT TO REMAKE ITSELF, the die, AS YOU SAY, has been cast.

Yet, that it has come to this will someday be viewed as JUST ANOTHER PIECE OF HISTORY. And no more, I would think, than a MENTAL FOOTNOTE.

Where have you gone Christy Mathewson . . . Tris Speaker . . . Shoeless Joe?

Even as the gods JUST LAUGHED.

If facts are facts then you have your facts wrong !

“Our best talent” many, if not most on this board wanted Rees fired !
Now suddenly he’s “our best talent”

Swarbrick’s hiring of Freeman had NOTHING to do with not paying “new market rate” for a coach. You’re clueless regarding the search for a new coach after Kelly fooked us.

The beauty of the First Amendment is that it let’s us identify the morons, like you.

You don’t have a clue when it comes to where and how wisely ND spends its money !
👍

Losing Rees was no big loss. Losing Heistand sucks

Mickens, Mason, McCullough, Parker and Stuckey Id say are our best coaches

Losing Rees, and if we lost the 2 Als wouldn't be a bad thing

We lost 1 stud coach, Heistand
Losing 1 Al is a bad thing? If you think we’d be better off losing Hartman (which you’ve said multiple times) but worse off losing Al Washington, you’re dumber than I thought.

Losing 1 Al is a bad thing? If you think we’d be better off losing Hartman (which you’ve said multiple times) but worse off losing Al Washington, you’re dumber than I thought.
I dont care either way if we lose Hartman. Well score more points this year regardless who is qb

I also don't care if we lose either or both Als

I dont even know what that means
We will score more on offense this year bc Drew Pyne is not our QB. Not bc Parker is good or better than Rees. Hartman is likely top 10 in yards even with a bad year and poor OC.

Also, Hartman knows more about what a QB does than Parker will likely ever know. He’s walking into a don't f it up position, similar to what freeman F’d up last year.

We will score more on offense this year bc Drew Pyne is not our QB. Not bc Parker is good or better than Rees. Hartman is likely top 10 in yards even with a bad year and poor OC.
I won't be surprised at all of Parker is a better oc than Rees.

And we'll score more with Hartman or Buchner

Reactions: Ndapolis1
Why would I give odds
Because you’re so very positive that we’ll score more points this year than Rees ever scored.

You talk a big but are afraid to back it up.

And, you’re getting a very good proven QB in 2023, so why wouldn’t you give odds if you actually believe what you type

Because you’re so very positive that we’ll score more points this year than Rees ever scored.

You talk a big but are afraid to back it up.

And, you’re getting a very good proven QB in 2023, so why wouldn’t you give odds if you actually believe what you type
I want Buchner and said the same would be true with Buchner.

Make the bet, dont be scared

There, you’ve said it. THE ONE SIMPLE TRUTH.

I’m reminded of accounts I’ve read by reliable historians that following Germany’s failure to take Moscow in 1941, Hitler was visited by a number of the country’s leading industrialists – Thyssen, the Krupps, others (some of whose successors, four decades later, I would do business with) – who told him FLATOUT that the war was, in effect, LOST as Germany could in no way sustain a drawn-out campaign of attrition on two fronts given the Allies’ greater resources.

Hitler, of course, being Hitler wouldn’t hear of it, intent as he was on TOTAL ARMAGEDDON.

I’m CERTAIN ND football isn’t headed for Armageddon, but I do believe that unless it REMAKES ITSELF, it’s no longer suited for a CHAMPIONSHIP ROLE in the new and more blatantly MONETIZED brand of CFB currently emerging. And if the decision has already been made NOT TO REMAKE ITSELF, the die, AS YOU SAY, has been cast.

Yet, that it has come to this will someday be viewed as JUST ANOTHER PIECE OF HISTORY. And no more, I would think, than a MENTAL FOOTNOTE.

Where have you gone Christy Mathewson . . . Tris Speaker . . . Shoeless Joe?

Even as the gods JUST LAUGHED.
where is the love of the sport? the love of playing the sport? has it just become Ka-ching$ even fans stopped appreciating the ‘gamesmanship’ of the sport! we must be #1! only 1 team is #1 so you better adjust your viewing pleasures.

Reactions: NDinNJ
where is the love of the sport? the love of playing the sport? has it just become Ka-ching$ even fans stopped appreciating the ‘gamesmanship’ of the sport! we must be #1! only 1 team is #1 so you better adjust your viewing pleasures.
👍

If the ol coach that interviewed today signs...it's a big time get.

And ND de luc ie the board coach troll can say nothing about it.

MY TAKE:

The love of the game is still there, but its MONETARY POSSIBILITIES have become SO INFLATED that they are now an INTEGRAL part of it. Whenever the return on something grows dramatically, there’s an inevitable SHIFT IN EMPHASIS with the ultimate goal for many becoming SIMPLY THE MONEY.

I worked once for a company – it was in the S&P TOP TEN – that provided financial services of every descripition for customers of every description. Not once in my time as a senior manager in the offshore division WAS THE CUSTOMER EVER BROUGHT UP at a staff meeting. And GE, among others, was a customer.

Instead, it was all NUMBERS IN AND OUT plus the incessant need to meet the company’s COMPULSORY 15% ROI number. Yet, I liked what I did. Still, it was the financial opportunities that DROVE ME as well as everyone else there.

Much of the love of the game FOR ITSELF sentiment is part of a SIMPLER, LESS MONETIZED TIME. It’s not the same game, nor will it be moving ahead unless or until money ceases to be SO AVAILABLE to everyone involved. That COULD happen, but it’s nowhere near appearing on anyone’s radar as of now.

Whoever starts will score more points than any Rees season. You can go back and forth I don't care
Why do you believe this? Parker is very much an unproven OC.

Tommy did a very good job with the ND offense. He absolutely maxed out every bit of talent ND had on offense.

Tommy did a very good job with the ND offense. He absolutely maxed out every bit of talent ND had on offense.
Wtf?

Rees didn't maximize crap. He played favorites and made the decisions for who played NOT THE POSITION COACHES.

Meriwether on the bench was Rees.
Running Tyree straight up the middle was on Rees
Ignoring the field receiver position for 95% of the season was on Rees

He did some good things, but maximizing talent was not one of them.

1. I dont think Tommy was that great. Was he bad, no. Was he elite, no. A lot of meh for me. Very predictable at times. Didnt like to play the younger guys a lot and very complicated offense.

I think Parker simplifies the offense and lets the best players play.

2. Tommy had talent on offense. He just didnt do enough with it

3. The OL will be really good. The QB play will be much better whoever starts. Our rb room is stacked.

4. Tommy was unproven when he got hired as well and hes still unproven to me. This will be a breath of fresh air

5. Finally unlock Estime and play Tyree to his strengths rather than run him up the middle all the time

Wtf?

Rees didn't maximize crap. He played favorites and made the decisions for who played NOT THE POSITION COACHES.

Meriwether on the bench was Rees.
Running Tyree straight up the middle was on Rees
Ignoring the field receiver position for 95% of the season was on Rees

He did some good things, but maximizing talent was not one of them.
I totally disagree and still does the Notre Dame record while Tommy was the OC. Also, Nick probably disagrees as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT