ADVERTISEMENT

Life of a once great brand: 2nd rate talent and 2nd rate coaching staff

chaseball

I've posted how many times?
Sep 8, 2007
Facts are facts.

Our best talent has been hired away by the major leagues, and we've downgraded across the board in terms of profile of coaches that we replaced them with.

This goes back to last year when Swarbrick refused to pay the new market rate for a big name headcoach and instead settled for the inhouse promotion of Marcus Freeman to HC instead.

What is puzzling is what is ND doing with all of the money they are making from sold out games, and hundreds of millions in licensing/apparel deals, not to mention the NBC TV contract.

ND has a full suite of products with tons of fan support that makes ND one of the highest revenue generating programs in the nation most years (usually somewhere in the top 5). Why isn't this money being reinvested back into the football program to at least keep up with the other wealthy organizations in our tier?

Facts are facts.

Our best talent has been hired away by the major leagues, and we've downgraded across the board in terms of profile of coaches that we replaced them with.

This goes back to last year when Swarbrick refused to pay the new market rate for a big name headcoach and instead settled for the inhouse promotion of Marcus Freeman to HC instead.

What is puzzling is what is ND doing with all of the money they are making from sold out games, and hundreds of millions in licensing/apparel deals, not to mention the NBC TV contract.

ND has a full suite of products with tons of fan support that makes ND one of the highest revenue generating programs in the nation most years (usually somewhere in the top 5). Why isn't this money being reinvested back into the football program to at least keep up with the other wealthy organizations in our tier?
If facts are facts then you have your facts wrong !

“Our best talent” many, if not most on this board wanted Rees fired !
Now suddenly he’s “our best talent”

Swarbrick’s hiring of Freeman had NOTHING to do with not paying “new market rate” for a coach. You’re clueless regarding the search for a new coach after Kelly fooked us.

The beauty of the First Amendment is that it let’s us identify the morons, like you.

You don’t have a clue when it comes to where and how wisely ND spends its money !

Facts are facts.

Loser.

Reactions: NDinNJ
Facts are facts.

The sky is falling. The sky is falling. The sky is falling.

Facts are facts.

Losing Rees was no big loss. Losing Heistand sucks

Mickens, Mason, McCullough, Parker and Stuckey Id say are our best coaches

Losing Rees, and if we lost the 2 Als wouldn't be a bad thing

We lost 1 stud coach, Heistand

Message boards make too big a deal of assistant coach hires. Big picture, it comes back to the head coach - if you have a good one, assistant coaches tend to work out.

Reactions: NDinNJ and 88ND
Like BVG?
Van Gorder was a disaster, but Kelly still had a top 5 team in 2015. And a top 10 team until mid-November in 2014. The stronger the head coach, the more they can get away with weaker assistants.

When you have a weak head coach, it seems like every year some assistant is "destroying" the program.

Seems like your recruiting is pretty good. As to your coaches, they have no pedigree, but it is a bit soon to tell, isn't it?

Reactions: Telx1
Facts are facts.

You mean the facts as you perceive them.

Seems like your recruiting is pretty good. As to your coaches, they have no pedigree, but it is a bit soon to tell, isn't it?
That's not the point, of course. I don't know what I'm more bemused by, this awful OC business, ending up with a virtual nobody/MF crony, with virtually no experience for an offense craving precisely that, taking over at a program that just a season ago had achieved annual playoff-contender status, and would seemingly be red-hot to get back to... or the at least slightly surprising closing of ranks among the faithful, and willful disbelief of pretty clearly what happened with this mess. Or at least most likely happened, since of course, none of us were in the room. And then there's those reports, emanating from the ND football offices. You know those are solid gold....

Van Gorder was a disaster, but Kelly still had a top 5 team in 2015. And a top 10 team until mid-November in 2014. The stronger the head coach, the more they can get away with weaker assistants.

When you have a weak head coach, it seems like every year some assistant is "destroying" the program.
And 4 and 8 in 2016

Losing Rees was no big loss. Losing Heistand sucks

Mickens, Mason, McCullough, Parker and Stuckey Id say are our best coaches

Losing Rees, and if we lost the 2 Als wouldn't be a bad thing

We lost 1 stud coach, Heistand
Tend to agree

Reactions: NDinNJ
Facts are facts.

Agree with Chase. I don’t always agree with your negativity, but I’m at your level on this one. So is 99% of the ND media so don’t believe you’re extreme at all. In fact, if you’re fine with this, you’re the extremist considering the uproar. Those that actually pay attention to ND know that the entire IB staff is beyond angry. They’ve all admitted to acting unprofessional about it off air. We have some real clowns on this forum that have little to know idea what’s happening with ND. Even our board Homer, Golson, who I don’t get along with but admittedly do have respect for, had voiced anger and disappointment.

Last edited:
Agree with Chase. I don’t always agree with your negativity, but I’m at your level on this one. So is 99% of the ND media so don’t believe you’re extreme at all. Those that actually pay attention to ND know that the entire IB staff is beyond angry. They’ve all admitted to acting unprofessional about it off air. We have some real clowns on this forum that have little to know idea what’s happening with ND. Even our board Homer, Golson, who I don’t get along with but admittedly do have respect for, had voiced anger and disappointment.
I'm considered a homer lol. I don't think you know me. You sound dumb with that comment

Either way, if Hartman sticks around, he’s going to make Parker look better than he really is. We won’t learn about Parker until 2024. Underlooked in all of this is that Ludwig was possibly bringing his OL coach. Losing HH is not good when you add dollar store Parker.

Reactions: Airzee23
Either way, if Hartman sticks around, he’s going to make Parker look better than he really is. We won’t learn about Parker until 2024. Underlooked in all of this is that Ludwig was possibly bringing his OL coach. Listing HH is not good when you add dollar store Parker.
Lol I've never seen a man crush like this over a borderline nfl QB

IB basically said today that ND went back to try and get Ludwig after the fan reaction. Ludwig said kick rocks. That’s why Jack said they were willing to buy him out. They told him sorry initially when the price was determined and Jack wanted Parker. Then Jack changed his mind when he got 6 million Tweets and emails. By that time Ludwig already told Utah he was staying, so he turned us down. Ludwig was all in and that’s why they went to the hockey game and willingly opened themselves to pics. He didn’t realize ND was going to play him. Then the audacity to mock fans by facetiously bringing up donations. The vitriol that the media shares towards Jack tells you all you need to know. Stop trying to spin the narrative to fit your odd marriage with Jack. If you’re trying to be a super fan. Support freeman by being pissed about NDs unwillingness to do what’s best for its student athletes, fatten the paycheck of the highest paid AD in the country, at the expense of fans and coaches of the largest endowed university with a solid football program. Even Tom Mendoza thinks Jacks a POS.

Last edited:
Lol I've never seen a man crush like this over a borderline nfl QB
I told you you will change your mind when we beat Ohio State. Losing Rees and settling for Parker may change things now, but I still like our chances of Hartman doesn’t leave.

Are you sure Rees is better than Parker?
100% positive. Nick Saban is also 100% positive and I’m not smarter about football than Nick Saban. I also heard Gino called a lot of plays. It could be that Gino is smarter than Parker. We stole him from Fickell and Fickell turns everything into gold imo. That’s why I wanted him as HC.

Only positive out of all of this is I think Gino is a good hire. Also, Cam Williams really likes him. Parker can kiss my ass, but I hope he listens to Gino, Stuckey, McCullough, and Hartman, who have all been around better OCs than him.

100% positive. Nick Saban is also 100% positive and I’m not smarter about football than Nick Saban. I also heard Gino called a lot of plays. It could be that Gino is smarter than Parker. We stole him from Fickell and Fickell turns everything into gold imo. That’s why I wanted him as HC.

Only positive out of all of this is I think Gino is a good hire. Also, Cam Williams really likes him. Parker can kiss my ass, but I hope he listens to Gino, Stuckey, McCullough, and Hartman, who have all been around better OCs than him.
If Gerad Parker ever walks by you in a restaurant attempt to be polite.

This thread is hilarious.

Reactions: Mizspa and NDinNJ
Facts are facts.

It is a great time to be a Notre Dame football fan.

My advice to you, if being an ND fan is so terrible, LEAVE!

Reactions: Mizspa and NDinNJ

There's no possible way you can know who is better right now out of Rees and Parker. Not nearly enough experience from either

Your Nick Saban point is another terrible one. So by your logic he picked Rees over everyone out there. That means that Rees is the best OC out there. Is that what you are saying, that Rees is the best OC in college football?

Your hate for Parker is hilarious. He can kiss your ass? What is that about. You sound like a little kid

There's no possible way you can know who is better right now out of Rees and Parker. Not nearly enough experience from either

Your Nick Saban point is another terrible one. So by your logic he picked Rees over everyone out there. That means that Rees is the best OC out there. Is that what you are saying, that Rees is the best OC in college football?

Your hate for Parker is hilarious. He can kiss your ass? What is that about. You sound like a little kid
Yes. Parker can kiss my Harry ass. Rees is our head coach in 3 years. Freeman either ends up at Cincy or Ohio State. CJ will be in the Heisman running in 2026 under Rees as the ND HC. Call me Nostradamus. Not saying I want that. Just seems Jack has it planned.

Yes. Parker can kiss my Harry ass. Rees is our head coach in 3 years. Freeman either ends up at Cincy or Ohio State. CJ will be in the Heisman running in 2026 under Rees as the ND HC. Call me Nostradamus. Not saying I want that. Just seems Jack has it planned.
Jack will be gone by then

And your pussy was beyond stupid

Facts are facts.

Valid points. jenkins will not let go of the purse as long as he can make money on the brand. He could give a shit about a national title, knowing what he would have to compromise to get there. Ain’t going to happen

Facts are facts.

Your facts written down would make lousy toilet paper

Even crap would not dignify itself with sticking to it

Same to you???

I love the current state of ND football.

However, the resent OC and Oline hires are head scratchers.
There hasnt been a OL hire. And the OC is to be determined. It's on par with our past 7 or so OC hires. We'll see how it turns out. Qb coach seems to be s good one

Qb Dino like it
RB Mccoulough like it
Te Parker like it
Wr Stuckey like it

We'll see on OL and how Parker does at OC

Facts are facts.

Crashing

Message boards make too big a deal of assistant coach hires. Big picture, it comes back to the head coach - if you have a good one, assistant coaches tend to work out.
You’re probably right. Clemson losing Venebal was big. Optics wise losing Rees to Bama I thought was bad.

When you have a really good head coach, assistant coaches come and go like used underwear and the gravy train keeps rolling. But we still don't know whether Marcus Freeman is that kind of coach, especially this early in his career. Losing a really good offensive coach in Rees after losing Brian Kelly (another guy with a reputation for developing above average P5 offenses) is a tough blow to the organization and it isn't getting the respect it deserves.

Was ND creating offenses that were national championship worthy under BK and Rees? No they were not, but their offenses were rock solid in the top half of the P5 most years with mostly 3 & 4 star players. ND loses those guys and their huge salaries and replace them with Marcus Freeman, Gerad Parker, and Gino Guidugli? I'm hoping these guys are young and hungry and tenacious recruiters but i'm not really holding my breath.

I'm expecting some real growing pains offensively upcoming and for no good reason. ND has the pocketbooks to get the best offensive coordinator money can buy but they wont do it.

Last edited:
Either way, if Hartman sticks around, he’s going to make Parker look better than he really is. We won’t learn about Parker until 2024. Underlooked in all of this is that Ludwig was possibly bringing his OL coach. Losing HH is not good when you add dollar store Parker.
The schedule masks the talent of the staff. ND's talent should be able to win 8 games against cupcakes and basketball schools if the offense was run by savvierandsassier. And then we know what happens in the bowl game.

Reactions: Ndapolis1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT