ADVERTISEMENT

Why the polls are flawed

Patrirish

I've posted how many times?
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2018
USC ranked # 10, ND # 21, but Vegas had us favored by 3.

This is why Vegas, not a committee of unknowledgeable individuals should select the teams for the playoffs

This is why Vegas, not a committee of unknowledgeable individuals should select the teams for the playoffs

The polls are a combination of A) how good the voters think a team is, and B) what teams have accomplished.

ND has a lot of A, but not as much of B.

You think bettors in Vegas should decide who the best teams are? Lmao. They are bettors, they are trying to make money.

ND was favored tonight because they were at home, they were still good despite 2 losses, and USC despite being undefeated had major flaws. You're looking too much into the numbers beside the name.

You think bettors in Vegas should decide who the best teams are? Lmao. They are bettors, they are trying to make money.

ND was favored tonight because they were at home, they were still good despite 2 losses, and USC despite being undefeated had major flaws. You're looking too much into the numbers beside the name.
The Bettors” ?

Are you out of your mind ?

NOT the “bettors”, the ODDSMAKERS !

I’m looking toward the professionals, the guys who make a living evaluating each team, not a committee of amateurs !

The Bettors” ?

I’m looking toward the professionals, the guys who make a living evaluating each team, not a committee of amateurs !
They aren't evaluating each team, they're trying to create an even 50/50 money line between two teams that's it. Who wants oddsmakers deciding what the best teams are in college football? They're looking to fatten their own pockets. College football playoff should be decided by people that have the best interest for the sport in mind, preferably ones who have played it before.

The lengths the anti Freeman posters will go to just to discredit Freeman is breathtaking. Meanwhile your top choice Luke Fickell's Wisky Badgers played one of the worse games of the season. At home with the B1G West top spot up for grabs & could only manage 6 points vs a team that had 3 yards during a 6 possession stretch. Yikes!!!

Reactions: Golson5

Polls? Does anyone really polls in 2023? I don't want to get thrown off by the mods but look beyond the first tree. I do find it funny that ND was flat last week. They lost a tough one to Ohio St. I don't know how the sharps had it right!

Do the polls matter? They only matter when it's playoff selection time. The only thing that matters is winning (as long as its done with integrity, of course).

Do the polls matter? They only matter when it's playoff selection time. The only thing that matters is winning (as long as its done with integrity, of course).
Polls are all prejudiced like election polls. If you're an independent like the Irish then you have to run the table. maybe , just maybe one blemish then BCS playoffs. To be honest I feel the BCS has been very fair to ND.

Polls are all prejudiced like election polls. If you're an independent like the Irish then you have to run the table. maybe , just maybe one blemish then BCS playoffs. To be honest I feel the BCS has been very fair to ND.
Fair point. With 12 team playoffs coming, polls will matter less and less until selection time.

The BCS was fair to just about everyone I would say. I miss the BCS days. College football had the best regular season in all of sports. And even if you didn't make the championship, the BCS bowls were a huge deal. And this was before guys started sitting out of bowl games. Was it perfect? No. But it was fun. Much better than what we have now.

They aren't evaluating each team, they're trying to create an even 50/50 money line between two teams that's it. Who wants oddsmakers deciding what the best teams are in college football? They're looking to fatten their own pockets. College football playoff should be decided by people that have the best interest for the sport in mind, preferably ones who have played it before.
it’s obvious that you don’t understand how Vegas sets the lines.

It has nothing to do with reading the minds of bettors.

Vegas is eminently more qualified to determine the quality of the teams

Vegas predicts the score of every game.

Ideally Vegas would like a disproportionate amount of money on the wrong side.

For example, Vegas would be ecstatic if a huge amount of money rolled in from SoCal on USC getting 3 points.

50/50 gives them 10 % on one half of the betting pool.

Vegas made a fortune tonight if the preponderance of the bets were on USC getting 3 points

Fair point. With 12 team playoffs coming, polls will matter less and less until selection time.

The BCS was fair to just about everyone I would say. I miss the BCS days. College football had the best regular season in all of sports. And even if you didn't make the championship, the BCS bowls were a huge deal. And this was before guys started sitting out of bowl games. Was it perfect? No. But it was fun. Much better than what we have now.
If there was a 12 team playoff this season, polls, and the committee that is influenced by the polls, would matter to ND quite a lot. As you look to possibly be just on the bubble.

The Bettors” ?

You don’t understand how Vegas works.

Reactions: BucksLAN
Just wait until you see our F+. 7 points off of 1 yard is the absolute highest efficiency possible.

• Haha
Reactions: NDinNJ
We had a lot of things going in our favor tonight. And the polls were starting to realize SC is overrated, that’s why Oregon and Washington jumped them.

We had a lot of things going in our favor tonight. And the polls were starting to realize SC is overrated, that’s why Oregon and Washington jumped them.
Oregon and Washington jumped them because Oregon and Washington are very good teams.

All of a sudden ND beats USC and now you declare that a 6-0 team was overrated ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT