ADVERTISEMENT

Who is at greater fault, Freeman or Swarbrick

Dec 29, 2005
for the current offensive coordinator situation?

I truly don’t know if Freeman had a real chance at hiring another OC or not. Did Swarbrick basically force Parker on him, or was that Freeman’s choice?

Freeman is very inexperienced, that would’ve led me to believe ND would’ve hired a seasoned OC, but we gave the reigns of the offense to a TE’s coach who has never been an offensive coordinator.

This makes little sense to me and many of you when they made the announcement felt the same way. The warts were hidden the first few games because of inferior opponents and no tape on how he calls games. It seems that since OSU, the proverbial cat is out of the bag and now ND is looking more like Iowa then Washington on offense.

for the current offensive coordinator situation?

I truly don’t know if Freeman had a real chance at hiring another OC or not. Did Swarbrick basically force Parker on him, or was that Freeman’s choice?

Freeman is very inexperienced, that would’ve led me to believe ND would’ve hired a seasoned OC, but we gave the reigns of the offense to a TE’s coach who has never been an offensive coordinator.

This makes little sense to me and many of you when they made the announcement felt the same way. The warts were hidden the first few games because of inferior opponents and no tape on how he calls games. It seems that since OSU, the proverbial cat is out of the bag and now ND is looking more like Iowa then Washington on offense.
Parker was not forced upon Freeman by Swarbrick

We are essentially on pace for the same record..
Record yes but you can watch the team and see the impovenent.

CBs and safety are much better
Lbs playing better (Marist still isn't good enough though)
Dline better in middle

Wrs are better but hurt.
Yes are more diverse
Rbs are better and deep
QB play is eons better

Oline .. I think this is worse and I don't blame the guards as much as Blake fisher. If he comes back I think he needs to go to guard.

The lack of an early bye week to get healthy is weighing on us big time. We have young guys hitting walls and older guys banged up.

You have to pay to get top tier coordinators, they can make or break either side of the ball. Pairing Gerad Parker, a first time OC, with a proven established QB was not a wise decision.

Dline better in middle

Wrs are better but hurt.
Yes are more diverse
Rbs are better and deep
QB play is eons better

Oline .. I think this is worse and I don't blame the guards as much as Blake fisher. If he comes back I think he needs to go to guard.

The lack of an early bye week to get healthy is weighing on us big time. We have young guys hitting walls and older guys banged up.
Early bye weeks aren’t as valuable as mid and late season bye weeks

If you want to fault Freeman for the losses, you have to also credit him for the improvement of the team from last year.
This is true, but improvement can't yet be determined, with 5 games remaining. For me, I'm not really seeing a lot of improvement, given the luxury of a 6th year QB. Our offense is pathetic against the increased competition, our safeties are awful, our Oline is once again grossly overrated. Not a lot of real improvement to be credited with. Let's see how we perform against USC and Clemson before we talk about improvement and credit.

Reactions: ivan brunetti
You have to pay to get top tier coordinators, they can make or break either side of the ball. Pairing Gerad Parker, a first time OC, with a proven established QB was not a wise decision.
ND is willing to pay, but not overpay.

Early bye weeks aren’t as valuable as mid and late season bye weeks
They are when nds schedule is front loaded. ND has played 7 games ..one more than most anyone. 3 night games. And 4 straight against ranked teams soon to be 5...without a break.

See hamstring injuries
See physicality regression
See linemen with hands on hips in first quarter vs Louisville

The team is beat up. A bye would have made all the difference

Reactions: Tru2Irish and mbd11
We are essentially on pace for the same record..
We haven't had any bad losses like Marshall and Stanford, though. Both Ohio State and Louisville are 6-0. So while we would've loved to win those games, I wouldn't call either of them bad losses.

They are when nds schedule is front loaded. ND has played 7 games ..one more than most anyone. 3 night games. And 4 straight against ranked teams soon to be 5...without a break.

See hamstring injuries
See physicality regression
See linemen with hands on hips in first quarter vs Louisville

The team is beat up. A bye would have made all the difference
Agreed. This past weekend would've been the perfect time for a bye. Instead, we get two byes later. Oh, well.

Reactions: futuredomer
It is not Parker. It is a combination of the coaching staff not making better decisions.

I have it from reliable sources that the OL went out for their weekly dinner out on Monday and most of them ate some bad sushi. Several of the team were still under the weather on game day, and couldn't perform to the Golden Standard.

It's entirely the sushi's fault.

From reliable sources !
Can you shed light on what truly happened with Ludwig? On Singer's podcast, Goolsby still insinuated that Jack mucked up the Ludwig hire due to the buyout. To me there are too many sources claiming this was in fact how it went down. I get Jack publicly stated the buyout wasn't the issue, but what people say publicly isn't necessarily what actually happened.

This is 100% on Swarbrick and the administration. Think about it. The coaching staff has changed, weiss, Kelly, freeman, etc, but the status quo at the top remains the same, and so does the product on the field.

Can you shed light on what truly happened with Ludwig? On Singer's podcast, Goolsby still insinuated that Jack mucked up the Ludwig hire due to the buyout. To me there are too many sources claiming this was in fact how it went down. I get Jack publicly stated the buyout wasn't the issue, but what people say publicly isn't necessarily what actually happened.
It wasn’t a money issue !

Dline better in middle

Wrs are better but hurt.
Yes are more diverse
Rbs are better and deep
QB play is eons better

Running backs may be better but the running game is not, it’s awful. OL is worse, TE is worse, WR improved (I think), DL is worse, LB same and secondary improved.

Of course QB is better but not sure that’s an indictment on Freeman. But this should be what we expected, did anybody really believe this was a national championship contender under year 2 of MF? No one knew this would have been a prime year given how open it seems but I predicted 9-3

I know ND has the money, but were they willing spend it on Ludwig is the question.
Maybe he didn't want the job. Maybe it's as simple as that. He's 58 years old and a Utah native. Maybe he didn't want to uproot his family. And he was already coaching for a good team that won the Pac-12 last year.

It’s all speculation. But ND had not had a top coach since Holtz. My guess is top coaches avoid impediments to success at ND.

Urban Meyer I believe said ND was a dream job. But he never came. I can’t see a Saban, Meyer, or Pete Carroll picking the Irish.

It’s all speculation. But ND had not had a top coach since Holtz. My guess is top coaches avoid impediments to success at ND.

Urban Meyer I believe said ND was a dream job. But he never came. I can’t see a Saban, Meyer, or Pete Carroll picking the Irish.
Thanks.

• Haha
Reactions: TPirish
Maybe he didn't want the job. Maybe it's as simple as that. He's 58 years old and a Utah native. Maybe he didn't want to uproot his family. And he was already coaching for a good team that won the Pac-12 last year.
100. Born and bred Utah people don't typically leave Utah.

• Haha

I know it won't happen, but would love to see Meyer hired as HC. The guy has nothing to prove, he's won championships at two different schools.

Look at it as an experiment. He takes the job and he either wins a NC or does not. If he doesn't we will know the self-imposed impediments are truly a hindrance to ND playing championship football again. If he wins a championship at ND we will all know regardless of the impediments ND can still win with the right coaching staff.

I know it won't happen, but would love to see Meyer hired as HC. The guy has nothing to prove, he's won championships at two different schools.

Look at it as an experiment. He takes the job and he either wins a NC or does not. If he doesn't we will know the self-imposed impediments are truly a hindrance to ND playing championship football again. If he wins a championship at ND we will all know regardless of the impediments ND can still win with the right coaching staff.
How many player felonies would Urban be allowed? As many as Florida?

Google Aaron Hernandez, Florida, and murder. That dude committed murder at Florida long before his conviction, and it was one big coverup.

• Haha

How many assistant coaches would Urban be allowed to physically abuse their wives, and stay on the staff?

• Haha

I think we already know the answer to that question, irrespective of who the coach is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT