ADVERTISEMENT

Making the case to keep Parker

I remember when Weis went to some labs to learn some read with Demtrius Jones..

I don't think it's his lack of concepts I think it's more of his rhythm and feel as a play caller and ability to dissect what a defense is doing to him.

I'm not going to not fire or demote a guy just because he wasn't asking for the job. It's a valid point but this is big boy football and he's getting paid handsomely so they need to do what's best for the program or everyone is out of a job in a few years.

FWIW, per Pete Sampson:

Notre Dame is now averaging 37.5 points per game, the program's highest figure since 1968. The offense is also averaging 6.83 yards per play, which is second all-time at Notre Dame and 10th nationally this season

I guess we have really lit it up vs some of the shittier teams on the schedule. I must be suffering from sort of cognitive bias in wanting this guy replaced so bad. It just seems so obvious, and so easy. For all the reasons enumerated previously. But I guess if we're putting up 60 vs Pitt and 45 vs Wake Forest, then the guy stays. Even though no one else in the country would have ever considered him for such an important post, barely even for a regular position coach gig. And he's MF's buddy, and he only got the job because whatever the F happened with the OC search. And now our fate is apparently bound up with this guy.

Nobody thought that highly of Golden in his 1st year as dcoordinator. Red zone issues, poor tackling and he turned things around in the second year. New oline coach, new quarterback coach, new quarterback new faces at receiver and then injuries to said receivers, what did everyone expect. You have a head coach that expressed to the world that ND would be a run 1st power football team. If Parker can get the qb position right next year he will be fine as a play caller going forward. Against the better teams on the schedule I felt Freeman played not to lose and that is how Parker called the games. You could also see in Hartman holding back on throws not wanting to make mistakes which caused more issues. Against loaded d fronts running slow developing runs with Estime was not the recipe for overall success. He will learn and get better as a play caller only if Freeman allows him to use his weapons the whole way thru the game. The only time Freeman seemed to let Parker go for it was in 2 minute drill. Probably should have used that tempo and strategy throughout the whole game against the better teams they faced.

Reactions: FightingIrish44
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT