ADVERTISEMENT

Making the case to keep Parker

IrishExpert2288

Shakes Down The Thunder
Sep 10, 2023
For starters, Gerard Parker did not go looking for the job of Offensive Coordinator, the job went looking for him after Tommy Rees, Andy Ludwig, and Colin Klein, decided they wanted to coach elsewhere. So, Parker actually stepped into the void and helped put out the fire.

Secondly, ND had a bunch of young players, especially at receiver show their potential yesterday, Meriweather, Greathouse, Fason, Flores, and Raridon. With an offseason, spring, and training camp, they should all be significantly better next season. So, a new OC could help, but a new OC could also set young players back a bit, rather than just playing, they have to start thinking about learning a new system.

I do think Parker, if he comes back, needs to get in the offensive laboratory after the season, go look at some of the successful offenses around the country, borrow some concepts, steal some ideas, and weave them into your system.

There is a video on YouTube of Urban Meyer's UF offensive staff (Mullen, Addazio, and 2 others) sitting in a classroom in the Atlanta Falcons offices, after the 2005 Gators season, to learn the Denver Outside Zone, from Alex Gibbs who was at the time the OL coach of Falcons, the father of the Stretch Play, and was successfully incorporating the Stretch play with Michael Vick in the shotgun.

UF won that National Championship in 2006. Using many of those concepts they learned that off-season.

I believe once ND settles on a QB, they should have the returning skill receivers, TEs, and RBs to be a dangerous offense. Capable of putting up points on the road, and the CFP.

Did you see the Estime loss of yard run that put us deep followed by yet another run loss ?? Made me scratch my head at the OC calls. Passing game was better. But why would he call a run after a huge loss by Estime and not a pass to get first down? He really makes some wtf calls.

For starters, Gerard Parker did not go looking for the job of Offensive Coordinator, the job went looking for him after Tommy Rees, Andy Ludwig, and Colin Klein, decided they wanted to coach elsewhere. So, Parker actually stepped into the void and helped put out the fire.

Secondly, ND had a bunch of young players, especially at receiver show their potential yesterday, Meriweather, Greathouse, Fason, Flores, and Raridon. With an offseason, spring, and training camp, they should all be significantly better next season. So, a new OC could help, but a new OC could also set young players back a bit, rather than just playing, they have to start thinking about learning a new system.

I do think Parker, if he comes back, needs to get in the offensive laboratory after the season, go look at some of the successful offenses around the country, borrow some concepts, steal some ideas, and weave them into your system.

There is a video on YouTube of Urban Meyer's UF offensive staff (Mullen, Addazio, and 2 others) sitting in a classroom in the Atlanta Falcons offices, after the 2005 Gators season, to learn the Denver Outside Zone, from Alex Gibbs who was at the time the OL coach of Falcons, the father of the Stretch Play, and was successfully incorporating the Stretch play with Michael Vick in the shotgun.

UF won that National Championship in 2006. Using many of those concepts they learned that off-season.

I believe once ND settles on a QB, they should have the returning skill receivers, TEs, and RBs to be a dangerous offense. Capable of putting up points on the road, and the CFP.
Florida also had a 2006 roster that, character wise, Notre Dame is not allowed to have.

Did you see the Estime loss of yard run that put us deep followed by yet another run loss ?? Made me scratch my head at the OC calls. Passing game was better. But why would he call a run after a huge loss by Estime and not a pass to get first down? He really makes some wtf calls.
Yes, he definitely needs to up his his game and diversify his bag in the off season. If he returns as OC.

The problem is the freeman is a rookie too. Together they are terribly outmatched by goodbprograms

The problem is the freeman is a rookie too. Together they are terribly outmatched
As a Defensive Head Coach Freeman needs to look to Saban and Whittingham at Utah. And see they were defensive guys who have embraced the importance of offense, scoring points while not losing toughness, physicality on defense.

The fact Sabans OC was formerly Freeman’s OC, and Freeman wanted Utahs OC to be his OC. Tells me he is on the right track. Now it’s time to invest in Parkers development or replace him.

No

Reactions: Chitown11
It would be prudent to test the waters and see what is out there. I do believe if retained he will show some improvement.

How many games did the offense let ND down? Louisville, Clemson, and maybe Duke? They had a good performance against a good NC State defense. They had a pretty good 1st half against a good Clemson defense (10th in YPG allowed).

I think the criticisms of Parker are overstated. Perhaps Freeman deserves some of the blame? I saw a play yesterday that I don’t think I’ve seen ND run since NC State. The play went for a big loss perhaps because they haven’t practiced it enough or Hartman/OL don’t know how to check out of it. Being overly multiple and not having a base seems to be the issue and that’s on Freeman if he’s the one pushing these schemes.

Reactions: IrishExpert2288
How many games did the offense let ND down? Louisville, Clemson, and maybe Duke? They had a good performance against a good NC State defense. They had a pretty good 1st half against a good Clemson defense (10th in YPG allowed).

I think the criticisms of Parker are overstated. Perhaps Freeman deserves some of the blame? I saw a play yesterday that I don’t think I’ve seen ND run since NC State. The play went for a big loss perhaps because they haven’t practiced it enough or Hartman/OL don’t know how to check out of it. Being overly multiple and not having a base seems to be the issue and that’s on Freeman if he’s the one pushing these schemes.
OSU, Duke, Louisville, Clemson

4 games. Against our 4 best opponents

OSU, Duke, Louisville, Clemson

4 games. Against our 4 best opponents
OSU was a shortened game. I was very impressed with the offense that game. They moved the ball against Clemson well in the first half at times. I think they need to troubleshoot rather than blame the coordinator.

People complained about Rees too. Stanford was only 14 points scored, and if you looked closer, you could see that there were near misses where these could have put up more points.

The problem is the freeman is a rookie too. Together they are terribly outmatched by goodbprograms
The problem is Gerard Parker. And the solution is firing him. Ipso Facto. No other factors need to be considered.

Is this thread for real, or is this like, making conversation on a Sunday morning? Purely academic, devil's advocate stuff. Because there's no case to be made to keeping this guy. At all, whatsoever. You couldn't fire him quickly enough. He was a last-ditch, nepotistic hire to begin with, and the offense underperformed as expected, and so get his sorry ass out of here.

WTF is wrong with some of you people? It ain't your money, ND will pay for it. So you don't need to worry about nothing. Just go out and get a top-notch OC and then let her rip. Hopefully we'll get Michael Pratt as well, that would be cool.

OSU was a shortened game. I was very impressed with the offense that game. They moved the ball against Clemson well in the first half at times. I think they need to troubleshoot rather than blame the coordinator.

People complained about Rees too. Stanford was only 14 points scored, and if you looked closer, you could see that there were near misses where these could have put up more points.
14 points vs OSU and had the ball to close the game and couldn't. The O lost the game

Well, it seems people have short memories. ND has put up a lot of points against the worst teams on the schedule. Wake Forest stinks!!

Duke, UL, Clemson, and OSU the offense wasn’t particularly good. If you remember there have been several instances where not just fans but media were questioning what ND/Parker were doing in some key situations on offense.

Nothing against the man, I hope he has a great career, but he’s just not ready or skilled enough at this point to be NDs OC.

I didn't say fire him or not.

I said the offense wasn't good in those 4 games
Okay. Maybe I got mixed up with people wanting him fired. The context of the thread is keeping or letting go of Parker.

Despite only scoring 14 points, I think the offense and Parker showed a lot of potential that day. OSU only gave up 14 points, yet I’d say their defense looked very poor to me. The worst unit on the field. Its not as simple as looking at the scoreboard.

Okay. Maybe I got mixed up with people wanting him fired. The context of the thread is keeping or letting go of Parker.

Despite only scoring 14 points, I think the offense and Parker showed a lot of potential that day. OSU only gave up 14 points, yet I’d say their defense looked very poor to me. The worst unit on the field. Its not as simple as looking at the scoreboard.
Yeah, but why wouldn't you just fire him? Do you get some sort of bonus at work if you keep him on? Do you get to exercise stock options or something? Like, it's so simple, just fire him, or demote him, and relieve him of his duties... and then hire a new OC from scratch like we should have a year ago. We don't owe this guy anything. We're not compelled to figure out some way to make it work.

Though of course somebody would have to go, whether it's Geno, or Parker or old boy former Wisky OL coach. Or maybe our WR or RB coach....

I dont agree with that at all. But okay

Yeah, but why wouldn't you just fire him? Do you get some sort of bonus at work if you keep him on? Do you get to exercise stock options or something? Like, it's so simple, just fire him, or demote him, and relieve him of his duties... and then hire a new OC from scratch like we should have a year ago. We don't owe this guy anything. We're not compelled to figure out some way to make it work.

Though of course somebody would have to go, whether it's Geno, or Parker or old boy former Wisky OL coach. Or maybe our WR or RB coach....
I see what you’re saying but maybe Parker is actually a good coordinator? Just a couple of tweaks may be needed. I’d be curious to know how much influence Freeman has. Maybe they just need to simplify a few things?

I personally don’t think the offense was so inept that he just has to go, like the offense was absolutely terrible.

Reactions: mbd11
The guy everybody wanted instead (Ludwig) has the 83rd-ranked offense this year. Without Rising, they struggled.

Our offense is ranked 45th. But we did face an above-average slate of defenses.

Reactions: FightingIrish44
17th in offensive efficiency
23rd in OF+

Letdowns in our biggest games, but overall, nothing screams “fire him.” Now, if we have a near sure thing OC lined up then go ahead, but the offense wasn’t some awful unit out there.

The guy everybody wanted instead (Ludwig) has the 83rd-ranked offense this year. Without Rising, they struggled.

45th in what? Offensive efficiency is a much better way of measuring how successful an offense is because it takes away garbage time minutes, factors in strength of opposition, and so on. OF+ get even more granular.

23rd in OF+

Letdowns in our biggest games, but overall, nothing screams “fire him.” Now, if we have a near sure thing OC lined up then go ahead, but the offense wasn’t some awful unit out there.

45th in what? Offensive efficiency is a much better way of measuring how successful an offense is because it takes away garbage time minutes, factors in strength of opposition, and so on. OF+ get even more granular.
Where do you get these efficiency stats and does it explain what goes into the stat?

Reactions: notredamerises23
We don't have to re-pursue Ludwig, but it would be outright dereliction of duty to not hire a proper OC with a full off season to get the job done. Totally unacceptable to do anything else. Grounds for firing MF if he were to keep him on for no defensible reason other than parsimony, and buddy-buddy nepotism, and the offense to continued underachieve....

Where do you get these efficiency stats and does it explain what goes into the stat?
Click on “Efficiencies.”

“Team efficiencies are based on the point contributions of each unit to the team's scoring margin, on a per-play basis. The values are adjusted for strength of schedule and down-weighted for "garbage time" (based on win probability). The scale goes from 0 to 100; higher numbers are better and the average is roughly 50 for all categories.”
  • OFFENSE EFF:Offensive efficiency on 0-100 scale; based on offense's contribution to scoring margin on per-play basis, adjusted for strength of opposing defenses faced.

We don't have to re-pursue Ludwig, but it would be outright dereliction of duty to not hire a proper OC with a full off season to get the job done. Totally unacceptable to do anything else. Grounds for firing MF if he were to keep him on for no defensible reason other than parsimony, and buddy-buddy nepotism, and the offense to continued underachieve....
I agree he hasn't been great, but the offense is on pace to score more than any TR offense did at Notre Dame.

Utah played their third string QB most of the season.

I would rather have Tommy Rees than Gerad Parker, no question.
I don’t know. Parker hasn’t been great, but Rees wasn’t great either. He had some terrible stretches here. I think Rees was and is a little overrated.

I don't think parker coached well at all after the OSU game. Having said that, I am not calling for his head. Ultimately this is a major decision for freeman. He needs to do what he feels gives him the best chance to win. If the conservative tressell ball is what he wants, switching out ocs won't matter. If he feels the pressure of the position and of possibly one .ore year with golden ..then maybe he makes the call now.

Very big decision for freeman. And I'll support him either way

23rd in OF+

45th in yards/game. But I did add the caveat that we faced an above-average slate of defenses. Nice to see that we're 17th in offensive efficiency.

Reactions: notredamerises23
The problem is Gerard Parker. And the solution is firing him. Ipso Facto. No other factors need to be considered.

Is this thread for real, or is this like, making conversation on a Sunday morning? Purely academic, devil's advocate stuff. Because there's no case to be made to keeping this guy. At all, whatsoever. You couldn't fire him quickly enough. He was a last-ditch, nepotistic hire to begin with, and the offense underperformed as expected, and so get his sorry ass out of here.

WTF is wrong with some of you people? It ain't your money, ND will pay for it. So you don't need to worry about nothing. Just go out and get a top-notch OC and then let her rip. Hopefully we'll get Michael Pratt as well, that would be cool.
Step back from the ledge and work on those grammar issues

this ****er discovered that PA works after 11 weeks of football bc fans were bitching saying he needs to run PA. He should already be gone.

Step back from the ledge and work on those grammar issues
You mean when I said don't worry about nothing? That was intentional, that was poetic license.

I guess I was kind of tripping out there, but I can't believe people are debating whether to keep him on. We gotta get a new OC. This guy was in danger of being out of a job altogether and having to work for a living before MF got the job. And now he's OC at the bluest of bluebloods with no pedigree to speak of and our offense sucked this year, and so what the hell is everyone talking about?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT