ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Notre Dame

clover3ND

Shakes Down The Thunder
Aug 9, 2008
Random fact of the day: both the offensive and defensive coordinators of the 2016 team (Mike Stanford Jr and Brian VanGorder) are currently coaching in the high school ranks. Mike is the offensive coordinator at Mead HS in Colorado, and Uncle Rico was fired (resigned) after one year as the head coach of American Heritage HS. Prior to that he was the defensive coordinator at Gulf Shores high school.

Looking back, that 4-8 record is starting to make a lot of sense right about now. I know a lot of blame/pressure is put on the head coach, but in my opinion, it’s the assistant coaches that make or break a program. From 2017-current (since ND has turned the corner), every one of their defensive coordinators are head coaches (two of which are in the SEC).

With that said, I am really hoping we can keep Golden for another year, and bring in an offensive analyst or another coordinator on that side of the ball. Parker most likely isn’t going anywhere, but I sure hope Freeman can see where the inefficiencies are amongst this team.

Reactions: mrwigglesby21
I was actually looking at the 2016 team today as well. It was a bad season but 7 of those losses were by one score. So a “good” 4-8 team.

I agree coordinators are very important. However I do think the head coaches need to manage their assistants. Perhaps Kelly should have seen earlier that Van Gorder was doing too much. I’d say by mid 2015 I could see that the defense was blowing too many coverages if I recall correctly. Perhaps Kelly should have seen earlier that the defense was underperforming or not being taught correctly and made adjustments.

I think that’s why we see the same head coaches being successful wherever they go. They just know how to build and manage their programs/assistants.

Reactions: notredamerises23
I was actually looking at the 2016 team today as well. It was a bad season but 7 of those losses were by one score. So a “good” 4-8 team.

I agree coordinators are very important. However I do think the head coaches need to manage their assistants. Perhaps Kelly should have seen earlier that Van Gorder was doing too much. I’d say by mid 2015 I could see that the defense was blowing too many coverages if I recall correctly. Perhaps Kelly should have seen earlier that the defense was underperforming or not being taught correctly and made adjustments.

I think that’s why we see the same head coaches being successful wherever they go. They just know how to build and manage their programs/assistants.
If you guys remember, BK totally changed his approach to managing the team. He started his open door policy to be more accessible and improve his relationship with players, and he reduced his sideline tirades.

The team then went on a nice run the next 5-6 years. I do credit BK for that.

Random fact of the day: both the offensive and defensive coordinators of the 2016 team (Mike Stanford Jr and Brian VanGorder) are currently coaching in the high school ranks. Mike is the offensive coordinator at Mead HS in Colorado, and Uncle Rico was fired (resigned) after one year as the head coach of American Heritage HS. Prior to that he was the defensive coordinator at Gulf Shores high school.

Looking back, that 4-8 record is starting to make a lot of sense right about now. I know a lot of blame/pressure is put on the head coach, but in my opinion, it’s the assistant coaches that make or break a program. From 2017-current (since ND has turned the corner), every one of their defensive coordinators are head coaches (two of which are in the SEC).

With that said, I am really hoping we can keep Golden for another year, and bring in an offensive analyst or another coordinator on that side of the ball. Parker most likely isn’t going anywhere, but I sure hope Freeman can see where the inefficiencies are amongst this team.
Thx for posting. Both coaches, but VanGorder in particular have had very odd careers. Both were highly respected and considered hot up and coming coaches at one point. Seems like Both just peaked early in their careers and couldn't find a way to adjust to modern times.

Last edited:
Reactions: notredamerises23
I remember the intern d coordinator Hudson had the team watching Rick flair videos to pump them up. Lol. I’m sure half the team didn’t even know what they were watching.

The head coach is responsible. Period. If the assistants are not doing their the job they are paid to do , the head coach needs to make sure they do or be shown the door. That’s it. There is no grey area. You play to win. A head coach shouldn’t be friends with anyone on the team or any coach. Holtz had a great quote on motivation. I’m not exactly sure but he basically said “ you eliminate those who are not motivated “. That goes for coaches and players. I could care less if a player is chewed out on the sidelines during a game. They get a free scholly .Stop babying them. If they don’t like it, they can leave. You want to field a championship team ? Then coach like a championship coach. Football is a tough sport. Getting on players and coaches is part of the job. I hope MF understands that after two years. Time to put your mark down and hold everyone accountable.

Last edited:
Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111

2016 was a very strange year in which just about every close game was lost on a play or two. It is really rare that a team with a top 40-45 offense AND defense goes 4-8. The special teams were a mess. You play that season 100 times and we are 6-6 or better in most of them, which of course is also not good enough here. Ultimately, this lies at the feet of the head coach, and Kelly made adjustments that led to a very good run.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT