ADVERTISEMENT

What are your expectations for the Irish this year? Speak now or forever hold your Piece.

11-1 is the expectation. That gives us a reasonable shot at the playoffs.

10-2 means that we clearly aren’t ascending into the top tier (the tier w Bama, Clemson, GA, tOSU). And we’re stuck in that 8-15 position.

9-3 means we took a step backwards.

8-4 would be disastrous.

Notre Dame would have beaten USC in 1970 if we hadn't turned the ball over so many times, just as we would have beaten Stanford in 1992 if we hadn't turned the ball over so many times. Same against Cincinnati, which was a better team than Notre Dame fans seem willing to accept.

I'm not sure which Clemson game you are referring to, but we didn't have an elite QB for either the ACC championship loss or the playoff loss.

I think it's fair game to say Kelly didn't get his teams up for big games or didn't have any answers once Plan A failed, which seemed to the case in several of those games, but I think the Oklahoma State game last year would have been similar except I think Kelly would have forced his team to run the ball more in the first half.
The difference is, 1970 and 1992 were the exceptions not the norm. With Kelly it was the norm to get beat by Top 10 teams.

9-10 wins. I wasn't impressed with how Marcus handled the second half of the Bowl game (letting Elko lose it). Kelly would have gotten us a win (Rees prepared a masterpiece on O but...). Don't get me wrong, I'm a big big Marcus fan -- but I believe there will be a HC learning curve. Our front seven will be elite. If Tyler is all I hope he is... who knows? But the schedule is a real bear this year.
The fact that the team dribbled away the Fiesta Bowl in the second half will make them super motivated against the Ohio State team. Lack of effort will not be an issue, but overall talent might be,

10-2 means that we clearly aren’t ascending into the top tier (the tier w Bama, Clemson, GA, tOSU). And we’re stuck in that 8-15 position.

8-4 would be disastrous.
If we were 10 and 2 with losses to OSU and Clemson, Id still have us about right where we are the last 5 years. Somewhere between the 5th and 8th best program in the country

I was talking about your nfl statement

And it took him about 7 years to get to that point
It did? Hell, he went 12-0 and played a title game in year 3, after inheriting a program that nowhere resembles what he handed to Freeman.

It did? Hell, he went 12-0 and played a title game in year 3, after inheriting a program that nowhere resembles what he handed to Freeman.
His first 7 years he lost to a lot of teams he should have beat, I'm sure you remember some of them.

He only has 2 10 plus won seasons during that time.

And right before he finally turned it around he had a 4 and 8 season

Don't act like he didn't have struggled along the way

Notre Dame would have beaten USC in 1970 if we hadn't turned the ball over so many times, just as we would have beaten Stanford in 1992 if we hadn't turned the ball over so many times. Same against Cincinnati, which was a better team than Notre Dame fans seem willing to accept.

I'm not sure which Clemson game you are referring to, but we didn't have an elite QB for either the ACC championship loss or the playoff loss.

I think it's fair game to say Kelly didn't get his teams up for big games or didn't have any answers once Plan A failed, which seemed to the case in several of those games, but I think the Oklahoma State game last year would have been similar except I think Kelly would have forced his team to run the ball more in the first half.
I would add the 90 Stanford game where there were 5 fumbles -- two on muffed punts, one by Rocket and one by Watters, if I recall correctly.

The 90 team was no slouch. Three close losses to Stanford, 3 points; PSU, 3 points; and Colorado, 1 point. If Derek Brown catches Mirer's Hail Mary, which he almost held, ND still wins the Stanford game. If Rocket doesn't get hurt at the end of the first half of the PSU game, ND probably wins that one as well; and if the clipping penalty doesn't occur in the Orange Bowl on Rocket's punt return, that's also a win.

But for some really bad breaks, that could have been a perfect season.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Reports he's been doing really well in practice lately. I believe he's going to surprise a lot of the TB critics
I would love to be surprised. Pleasantly surprised.
That said I'm a realist. He couldn't beat out Coan who is the most one dimensional QB we've ever had.
His health is a massive concern. Get rid of the god damn soccer cleats for starters. They're not helping the ankles whatsoever.

I think things also have a lot to do with Tommy Rees. No more Brian Kelly elephant in the room to keep the offense playing timid and tentative.
It's all his offense now. We shall see.

Golden will help the defense collectively especially the god damn secondary which has seen some individual stars but collectively piss poor for decades.
Perimeter play. .but this goes with Tommy Rees again. Hitting Lenzy in stride on a crossing route turning it into a 50 yard score.
No more 3 yard and sit down routes as the staple!!!

I love Bo Bauer and he will be a maniac but Tuihalamaka is a future high round Sunday pick and just a baby. He will be ferociously special.

We will see in two weeks

Did that with Weis' players . Then proceeded to struggle for several years with his own players.
38 drop backs in a hurricane with mid shin high standing water.

He's a super genius

• Haha
Reactions: NDinNJ
That said I'm a realist. He couldn't beat out Coan who is the most one dimensional QB we've ever had.
His health is a massive concern. Get rid of the god damn soccer cleats for starters. They're not helping the ankles whatsoever.

I think things also have a lot to do with Tommy Rees. No more Brian Kelly elephant in the room to keep the offense playing timid and tentative.

Golden will help the defense collectively especially the god damn secondary which has seen some individual stars but collectively piss poor for decades.
Perimeter play. .but this goes with Tommy Rees again. Hitting Lenzy in stride on a crossing route turning it into a 50 yard score.

I love Bo Bauer and he will be a maniac but Tuihalamaka is a future high round Sunday pick and just a baby. He will be ferociously special.

We will see in two weeks
You also forget who the HC was last year. The guy that somehow completely mismanaged the QB position his entire tenure at ND. The guy that would sit more talented athletes because they were freshman. With all his wins with watered down schedules, he still botched the most important position on the team.

We will see in two weeks
He didnt beat out a 5th year senior who might make a nfl roster. He didnt play his sr year of high school.

Most freshman don't play as QBs

“the god damn secondary which has seen some individual stars but collectively piss poor for decades.”

💯

I think ND gets 11 wins if Buchner stays healthy. As said , he will surprise a few people.
I think Buchner may miss a half or full game due to injury. He wil have the rpo game rolling, but he's going to take some hits

8-4 would be disastrous.
100% agree, 10-2 or bust this year. If we go 10-2 the losses can only be to top 5 teams (meaning, if clemson isn't as good as pre season ranking we shouldn't lose at home to them). We also need to be very competitive vs OSU/Clemson even if we lose. I'm not expecting to lose to Clemson even if they're undefeated when they come to south bend.

His first 7 years he lost to a lot of teams he should have beat, I'm sure you remember some of them.

He only has 2 10 plus won seasons during that time.

And right before he finally turned it around he had a 4 and 8 season

Don't act like he didn't have struggled along the way
Yes, but the program was no where near the shape it is in today that freeman inherited. It took the 4-8 season for ND and Kelly to make the appropriate changes. IT won't be status quo under freeman, we'll either take a step forward or a step back over the next 2 years.

I think ND gets 11 wins if Buchner stays healthy. As said , he will surprise a few people.
I think Buchner may miss a half or full game due to injury. He wil have the rpo game rolling, but he's going to take some hits
Oh he's going to get racked alright.

His specialty won't be the RPO it will be when nobody is open and he takes off running.

You know like in a 3rd and 12 typr of down and distance.. the defense feels good about those chances right? U
Of course!
He's so ridiculously quick he can turn a nobody's open into a 25 yard scamper for not only a first down but a complete decimation to the opposing defenses psyche.

Against the elite though he will absolutely positively have to throw to win

Oh he's going to get racked alright.

His specialty won't be the RPO it will be when nobody is open and he takes off running.

You know like in a 3rd and 12 typr of down and distance.. the defense feels good about those chances right? U
Of course!
He's so ridiculously quick he can turn a nobody's open into a 25 yard scamper for not only a first down but a complete decimation to the opposing defenses psyche.

Against the elite though he will absolutely positively have to throw to win
His specialty will absolutely be RPO. He loves that and thats when hes most comfortable. We will be running it a lot

Reactions: IrishMike409
His specialty will absolutely be RPO. He loves that and thats when hes most comfortable. We will be running it a lot
You concerned that he’s going to get banged up? Or is just something that we can’t worry about? He’s the QB, he runs, he’s going to get hit hard.

Pyne is a perfectly capable backup.

You concerned that he’s going to get banged up? Or is just something that we can’t worry about? He’s the QB, he runs, he’s going to get hit hard.

Id run a lot of RPOs in the big games. But when we play the Marshalls of the world I would not really run Buchner much. You have to be smart and Id save his legs and body.

But against OSU, you gotta throw everything at them and thats where he is at his best

Id run a lot of RPOs in the big games. But when we play the Marshalls of the world I would not really run Buchner much. You have to be smart and Id save his legs and body.

But against OSU, you gotta throw everything at them and thats where he is at his best
Makes perfect sense.

Rick Mirer was an underrated runner. I’m starting to think TB is going to be a similar player.

So more of the same? Predictable plays on offense and when playing a top team will get you 30-3 and still trying buy a first down. 4 years later.

You kill teams running the ball but against the best you MUST throw to win.
In other words big plays whether by design or a catch and run crossing route.

You should know full well the importance of the pass in big games. Your favorite team Alabama does it all the time.

So more of the same? Predictable plays on offense and when playing a top team will get you 30-3 and still trying buy a first down. 4 years later.

You kill teams running the ball but against the best you MUST throw to win.
In other words big plays whether by design or a catch and run crossing route.

You should know full well the importance of the pass in big games. Your favorite team Alabama does it all the time.
And they run RPO. So does Clemson. So did LSU with Joe Burrow. So does OSU. So did Oklahoma

I'm not sure you really know or understand what RPO is do you?

And they run RPO. So does Clemson. So did LSU with Joe Burrow. So does OSU. So did Oklahoma

I'm not sure you really know or understand what RPO is do you?
No....

Get off the Alabama train for a minute....

What you're suggesting is Buchner is going to run an RPO a lot. As in more than not? As in most of the time?

I'm trying to make you understand something you've witnessed with your very own eyes while rooting on your favorite team like Alabama....

Of course they will run the RPO but they will continue getting embarrassed by the elites if they don't get chunk plays in the air.
I don't care how quick he is it's easy to defend something when you know it's coming. It's called playing downhill.

Moreover if they don't stretch the field with big passing plays it will be exactly more of the last dozen years.
Predictably safe play calling and predictably predictable.

Im not sure what part of any tje above you don't understand.

And exactly as you mentioned the elites run that play and with Buchner they should run it as well. But the kill the elite opposition with big pass plays.

Your favorite team Bama escapes huge games with a win every year by that very principal. Big passing plays.

No....

What you're suggesting is Buchner is going to run an RPO a lot. As in more than not? As in most of the time?

I'm trying to make you understand something you've witnessed with your very own eyes while rooting on your favorite team like Alabama....

Of course they will run the RPO but they will continue getting embarrassed by the elites if they don't get chunk plays in the air.
I don't care how quick he is it's easy to defend something when you know it's coming. It's called playing downhill.

Moreover if they don't stretch the field with big passing plays it will be exactly more of the last dozen years.

And exactly as you mentioned the elites run that play and with Buchner they should run it as well. But the kill the elite opposition with big pass plays.

Your favorite team Bama escapes huge games with a win every year by that very principal. Big passing plays.
Like I said, you really have no clue what an RPO is. Not surprised.

You can run RPO and throw the ball 50 times and have big passes all game long

You can stretch the field, throw the ball all over.

Again like I said you have no clue what an RPO offense is.

Look it up, read about it, watch some modern football. Your comments suggest you don't have a clue

Reactions: jcswoopnh
If Buchner stays healthy, he'll be better than Mirer. I wish he got more badly needed experience last year but bk being bk!
The o line will be improved but wr could be an issue. The key will be the big freshman
Mirer was a Heisman Finalist and the 2nd pick in the draft!

This season is unpredictable. First year head coach. A ton of talent in the trenches and a lot of fingers crossed at some skill positions. I’m optimistic the team will play inspired football in the big games. I just hope that does not equate to a let down against an average opponent.

Reactions: melstew
The schedule is perfect this year. If somehow (I dont see it) we stumble against Ohio State we have a game against Clemson later where we can redeem ourselves.
And BYU and USC should add quality wins to our resume.

Tyler Buchner will have a better Oline to work with this year. His threat to run will help out his passing game.
I am very excited about Tyler this year.

No....

If you look at Buchners stat line for 2021, outside of the 3 INT's which let's face it freshman year QB's are prone to throw them, it's not bad at 60% completion rate, 298 yds passing, 336 rushing and 142.7 Rating. That's with limited spot/play

9-3, the QB and WR situations have me concerned.

I think ND can beat anyone but OSU on their schedule but I expect a few bumps in the road. I’m actually concerned about the BYU game.

If you look at Buchners stat line for 2021, outside of the 3 INT's which let's face it freshman year QB's are prone to throw them, it's not bad at 60% completion rate, 298 yds passing, 336 rushing and 142.7 Rating. That's with limited spot/play
Nobody hopes he succeeds more than I but his stats are much skewed.
His big runs were against bad defenses. He's still lightning quick but those runs weren't against Cincinnati...our lone tough team we faced.

This season will be more aboit Rees than Buchner.
You make zero big plays you don't attempt. Lenzy breaks zero long runs after catches when he's doing a 3 yard curl and sit route.

You must put you players in the best possible position to succeed. That's your only job as a coach. You can't play for them. You can't catch or throw or run for them. They must execute but your job is putting the players in the best spots to succeed. It's a simple one task job. It's a big task but it's only one.

We will see if the timid and tentative bullshit is still lingering from Brian Kelly.

I'm more interested in seeing Rees without the elephant in the room and what he will do.

12 days away

Reactions: BM16

We will see in two weeks
Hmmm.. I do enjoy your posts.. pretty spot on.. would it be possible to negate the GD's ... as a pastor it makes good responses hard to read...bless you!

Nobody hopes he succeeds more than I but his stats are much skewed.
His big runs were against bad defenses. He's still lightning quick but those runs weren't against Cincinnati...our lone tough team we faced.

This season will be more aboit Rees than Buchner.
You make zero big plays you don't attempt. Lenzy breaks zero long runs after catches when he's doing a 3 yard curl and sit route.

You must put you players in the best possible position to succeed. That's your only job as a coach. You can't play for them. You can't catch or throw or run for them. They must execute but your job is putting the players in the best spots to succeed. It's a simple one task job. It's a big task but it's only one.

We will see if the timid and tentative bullshit is still lingering from Brian Kelly.

I'm more interested in seeing Rees without the elephant in the room and what he will do.

12 days away
I agree with you, this is a make or break season for Rees.He needs to open up the offense. The running game will be a critical component of being able to that.

Reactions: 88ND

Yes....Pyne does his best work as a back up. He's right where he belongs...as a signal guy on the sidelines. Buchner has to stay healthy for ND to compete...which means he has to protect his body to the max possible. After that, its a crap shoot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT