ADVERTISEMENT

What are your expectations for the Irish this year? Speak now or forever hold your Piece.

BodiTheGreat

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Gold Member
Nov 18, 2018
Marcus Freeman reminds me alot of Lou Holtz. A master motivator and recruiter. I believe this season will be alot like Lou's third season with the Irish.
Here's why--

Tyler Buchner has great speed a great leader and a fantastic arm. He will be in the hunt for the Heisman all year.
Mayer is unstoppable--- Tyree and Lenzy are going to blow up this year. Tommy is going to use them like Urban used Percy Harvin.
Great defense !! Best since 88 !!
Great coaches ! All Marcus will do will lead and motivate ! He will let his great assistant coaches worry about x'x and o's.
Great Oline ! They will pulverize every defense they play ! Harry Heistand ! Back for a NC ! He knows it !
Great depth !@
Great Freshman class ! A couple are going to shock and awe this year !
Foskey will break Justin Tucks records ! Single season and career !
Lorenzo Styles will dominate much like Mike Floyd did !!

Go Irish Beat Ohio State !

Lets hear what you think, Domers !

10-3 with New Years bowl win. Tough schedule, and limited qb or coaching continuity. Secondary and receiver depth issues, new kickers. I like the team (especially the lines) and the coaches but a lot of variables would have to fall right for playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelso86
Marcus Freeman reminds me alot of Lou Holtz. A master motivator and recruiter. I believe this season will be alot like Lou's third season with the Irish.
Here's why--

Tyler Buchner has great speed a great leader and a fantastic arm. He will be in the hunt for the Heisman all year.
Mayer is unstoppable--- Tyree and Lenzy are going to blow up this year. Tommy is going to use them like Urban used Percy Harvin.
Great coaches ! All Marcus will do will lead and motivate ! He will let his great assistant coaches worry about x'x and o's.
Great Oline ! They will pulverize every defense they play ! Harry Heistand ! Back for a NC ! He knows it !
Great depth !@

200.gif

Hard to distinguish between hope and expectations before seeing a single game. Lots of critical pieces, but none more important than Buchner. I Love this team‘s potential on paper, and anxious as hell to see them in the field. The DB opposite Hart remains a concern until proven otherwise; as is the lack of experience at all of our offensive skill positions. That said, I think this team has the potential to be really good, and I say we go 11-1 in the regular season; win a playoff game; and lose in A game of the century NC game. 12-2 for Freeman and staff and the big bowl game monkey is permanently retired.

I am going to the Clemson, BYU, Navy and Marshall games. I expect ND to win all of those (regardless of Will Shipley). I also think we will win one of the two against the OSU and USC. Have to worry about coming out flat in any of the other games. 11-1 would be fantastic with a good shot at the playoffs.

I am going to the Clemson, BYU, Navy and Marshall games. I expect ND to win all of those (regardless of Will Shipley). I also think we will win one of the two against the OSU and USC. Have to worry about coming out flat in any of the other games. 11-1 would be fantastic with a good shot at the playoffs.
“...worry about coming out flat in any of the other games....” It’s the one aspect of Brian Kelly that I respected most his last 5 seasons, not losing games to teams outside of the top 25.

Reactions: Telx1 and jerbach
Here's why--

Great depth !@

I’m having what TelX is having except I started drinking before he did and so I’m going for a natty

Hard to distinguish between hope and expectations before seeing a single game. Lots of critical pieces, but none more important than Buchner. I Love this team‘s potential on paper, and anxious as hell to see them in the field. The DB opposite Hart remains a concern until proven otherwise; as is the lack of experience at all of our offensive skill positions. That said, I think this team has the potential to be really good, and I say we go 11-1 in the regular season; win a playoff game; and lose in A game of the century NC game. 12-2 for Freeman and staff and the big bowl game monkey is permanently retired.
Good (hopeful) analysis. Particularly the part about the second (and I guess third) cornerbacks being a key. It looks like the freshman Mikey will be doing some playing in the nickel, which would be a godsend if he is as advertised.

1. OSU win:
Yes, would be a huge upset. Yes, ND should be the underdog,
Then why and how do I ND winning?
You win big games and a team is only as good as their interior play. The ND Oline/Dline will carry this team.
ND will rush for 150 plus yards and win by 7-10 points.

2. Marshall: Win
Just to talented

3. Cal: Win
Talent

4. UNC: Win

5. BYU: Win

Hard fought game that will stay close to the 4th quarter. This will be the game that will have this message board filled with I knew Freeman was overwhelmed, We look terrible and I blame the coach. But in the end ND pulls it off.

6-8. Stanford, UNLV, Cuse WIN
Talent

9. Clemson: Win

Very close game. TB will have the game of his life. ND wins by less than a TD.

10-11 Navy and BC: Win
I know some will say BC will play them close. However, ND has to much talent on online/dline. ND will be to physical for BC to even keep it close.

12. SC: Win:
ND will face the second best QB they have played this season. SC will be a top 7-10 team at this point. They will already have one upset win (Utah). Could be a top 5 team at this point. ND comes from behind and wins a classic.

Yup, 12-0!
I have a lot of confidence in the interior play.
Playoff win????

We will see!

Expectation 11-1

Prediction: 9-3
I just gotta believe ND is due to win the big games.

Your 2 loses are probably OSU and Clemson. ND can win those games. ND has a very good Oline/Dline. Those 2 things are a must to have.

If a team has an average to bad Oline/Dline, it doesn’t matter who the QB and WRs are.

The opposite is true, a top Oline/Dline can make up for average QB and WR play.

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
I just gotta believe ND is due to win the big games.

Your 2 loses are probably OSU and Clemson. ND can win those games. ND has a very good Oline/Dline. Those 2 things are a must to have.

If a team has an average to bad Oline/Dline, it doesn’t matter who the QB and WRs are.
When 11-1 is what you need to have a decent shot at the CFB Playoff, They’re all big games.

Getting to 11 wins goes way beyond Tyler Buchner.
I expect to be really good just about everywhere else. Buchner is the unknown.

So to me it comes down to Tyler Buchner

Last edited:
Good (hopeful) analysis. Particularly the part about the second (and I guess third) cornerbacks being a key. It looks like the freshman Mikey will be doing some playing in the nickel, which would be a godsend if he is as advertised.
I like everything I read about Mikey. last year I said that Lewis played slow as a Freshman because he was thinking too much, rather than playing instinctively, and I expected a really good sophomore season. I was disappointed and now question his speed and confidence playing a position that requires a very short memory and tremendous self confidence. Mikey lacks neither and I wouldn’t be surprised if he is our starter next to Hart by mid year.

“...worry about coming out flat in any of the other games....” It’s the one aspect of Brian Kelly that I respected most his last 5 seasons, not losing games to teams outside of the top 25.
We came out flat in a lot of those games but we won them

…and our kicking game better be a hell of a lot better than we saw in the Spring game!

I agree. We didn’t necessarily play with a lot of visible emotion in those games, but we won the games we should have won, and Kelly deserves a lot of credit for this. But his record against top ten teams, or the BIG GAMES we’ve all discussed, was pretty dismal. I expect we’ll lose a couple of those should win games under Freeman, but win more than of our share of the BIG GAMES. Will be fun to see the guys play with a lot of fire in big games, but that Comes with the risk of coming out flat the following week and losing trap games. Hoping the talent gap in our favor is such that we escape those with wins.

We came out flat in a lot of those games but we won them
And maybe that’s why Notre Dame has the longest winning streak in the nation against unranked teams.

You have to win a lot of those games to make the CFB playoff, and if it was so easy, everyone would do it.

I agree. We didn’t necessarily play with a lot of visible emotion in those games, but we won the games we should have won, and Kelly deserves a lot of credit for this. But his record against top ten teams, or the BIG GAMES we’ve all discussed, was pretty dismal. I expect we’ll lose a couple of those should win games under Freeman, but win more than of our share of the BIG GAMES. Will be fun to see the guys play with a lot of fire in big games, but that Comes with the risk of coming out flat the following week and losing trap games. Hoping the talent gap in our favor is such that we escape those with wins.
NFL teams rarely play with visible emotion. There are arguments both ways on how to handle emotion during a long season.

9-10 wins. I wasn't impressed with how Marcus handled the second half of the Bowl game (letting Elko lose it). Kelly would have gotten us a win (Rees prepared a masterpiece on O but...). Don't get me wrong, I'm a big big Marcus fan -- but I believe there will be a HC learning curve. Our front seven will be elite. If Tyler is all I hope he is... who knows? But the schedule is a real bear this year.

Reactions: bizzybecknd
9-10 wins. I wasn't impressed with how Marcus handled the second half of the Bowl game (letting Elko lose it). Kelly would have gotten us a win (Rees prepared a masterpiece on O but...). Don't get me wrong, I'm a big big Marcus fan -- but I believe there will be a HC learning curve. Our front seven will be elite. If Tyler is all I hope he is... who knows? But the schedule is a real bear this year.
History shows Kelly would have gotten us blown out in that game

This isn't true
What is true is that whatever Brian Kelly did regarding beating unranked teams on a consistent basis, worked. Whether his teams were were flat, emotioness, or whatever you want to term it.

And History shows us Marcus Freeman lost the big game as well.
Yes he did. I don't view that as a loss by him as he didn't have his staff of coaches and was only had coach for 3 weeks.

But if you want to say he was, it's MF lost in a close game whereas NK gets blown out in those games

What is true is that whatever Brian Kelly did regarding beating unranked teams on a consistent basis, worked. Whether his teams were were flat, emotioness, or whatever you want to term it.
I was talking about your nfl statement

And it took him about 7 years to get to that point

-I just gotta believe ND is due to win the big games.

The opposite is true, a top Oline/Dline can make up for average QB and WR play.
I don't see any way they beat Ohio State unless ND's d line takes the game over. USC is going to be formidable at the EOY, and I think a lot of people are sleeping on them because of their deficiencies in the trenches.

My 9-3 projection is just based off a bunch of unknowns at this point. We have no idea what kind of team they will be with an all new coaching staff.

Will these intense practices pay off? We'll see.. Everything sounds good about this team's chances, but there are a lot of bad football teams that also have intense practices, so I don't think there is one magic bullet to taking that next leap from Brian Kelly. I just hope everyone can find their stride and this team passes the eye test no matter the record this year.. Just play tough and don't get blown out in the big games..

History shows Kelly would have gotten us blown out in that game

I disagree. Although Kelly's teams gotten embarrassed in playoff games, they did pretty well when matched up against teams of equal standing in other bowls. Anyone who thinks ND had the talent to beat Clemson or Alabama in any of those games is delusional.

Reactions: 4-4-3
My expectations for ND this year are no different than most years. I think we have enough talent to go 9-3 or even 10-2, but I wouldn't be surprised if we fell off to 8-4 or even 7-5. I could see that happening if Buchner gets injured and is forced to miss a few games, if we have more attrition in our already thin WR ranks, and for a hodge podge of other reasons, including the fact that we have a first-time head coach.

Reactions: bizzybecknd
I disagree. Although Kelly's teams gotten embarrassed in playoff games, they did pretty well when matched up against teams of equal standing in other bowls. Anyone who thinks ND had the talent to beat Clemson or Alabama in any of those games is delusional.
I'm talking against top 10 opponents. Just like we got beat against Cincinnati earlier in the year. That was an embarrassment.

We could have won the Clemson game if we had an elite QB

I'm talking against top 10 opponents. Just like we got beat against Cincinnati earlier in the year. That was an embarrassment.

We could have won the Clemson game if we had an elite QB
Notre Dame would have beaten USC in 1970 if we hadn't turned the ball over so many times, just as we would have beaten Stanford in 1992 if we hadn't turned the ball over so many times. Same against Cincinnati, which was a better team than Notre Dame fans seem willing to accept.

I'm not sure which Clemson game you are referring to, but we didn't have an elite QB for either the ACC championship loss or the playoff loss.

I think it's fair game to say Kelly didn't get his teams up for big games or didn't have any answers once Plan A failed, which seemed to the case in several of those games, but I think the Oklahoma State game last year would have been similar except I think Kelly would have forced his team to run the ball more in the first half.

Notre Dame would have beaten USC in 1970 if we hadn't turned the ball over so many times, just as we would have beaten Stanford in 1992 if we hadn't turned the ball over so many times. Same against Cincinnati, which was a better team than Notre Dame fans seem willing to accept.

I'm not sure which Clemson game you are referring to, but we didn't have an elite QB for either the ACC championship loss or the playoff loss.

I think it's fair game to say Kelly didn't get his teams up for big games or didn't have any answers once Plan A failed, which seemed to the case in several of those games, but I think the Oklahoma State game last year would have been similar except I think Kelly would have forced his team to run the ball more in the first half.
Playoff

Ok my best guess is 9-3 regular season hopefully get to 10:with a bowl win. i just want to comment on Kelly‘s teams vs top ten opponents .
Kelly’s teams I read were 3-8 vs top ten. Five of those losses were by 14 points or more. I am not sure where the disagreement is. Kelly was better than average as a coach at ND. When faced against top tier teams, his teams rarely showed up. He consistently recruited from 10-15 range. That’s exactly why they could rarely win big games.

Reactions: d1042
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT