ADVERTISEMENT

Time to bench Hartman and

Dec 29, 2005
start Steve Angelli.

There is no upside to starting Hartman the last two games against WF and Stanford, both are bad teams. Start Angelli and see what you got with him IMO.

They won’t fire Parker now, but I’m certain he will not be the OC next year. He is just not a good play caller whatsoever.

Hartman wasn’t even close on many of his throws today. Not sure what’s happened to this guy but he has just looked abysmal at time since the Duke game IMO.

Reactions: 1Redrum
I realize Hartman doesn’t have any wide receivers to throw too and the offensive line play is atrocious. Because he can’t make throws down the field. The running game seems to get bottled up. This offense is bad. Really really bad.

Reactions: 1Redrum
start Steve Angelli.

There is no upside to starting Hartman the last two games against WF and Stanford, both are bad teams. Start Angelli and see what you got with him IMO.

They won’t fire Parker now, but I’m certain he will not be the OC next year. He is just not a good play caller whatsoever.
I thought that after the int TD

I agree with you but it is not going to happen. Freeman needs to get a QB ready for next year, last 2 games and a bowl game would be good experience, but that would require the brain trust using their brains.
Should it happen, of course, but will it? Unlikely..

I don’t think Freeman will do it.

I was against this because we had shown some really good things throughout the year, but now it’s time since there’s nothing really left to play for. The defense gave him so many opportunities to make plays, and he just couldn’t make one. It’s almost impossible to have that many in completions in the fourth quarter of the defense is tired, but it was just one incompletion after another and some of them weren’t even really close..

Is it possible the WRs aren’t as bad as we think? I’m not saying they’re good but is some of the blame on Parker? His play calling is terrible IMO. They throw way too many verticals, there is very little misdirection in the intermediate and deep throws whatsoever.

Reactions: Quest4Twelve
I agree with you but it is not going to happen. Freeman needs to get a QB ready for next year, last 2 games and a bowl game would be good experience, but that would require the brain trust using their brains.
They apparently don't have brains for game day football. I like Marcus. Very charismatic guy and recruiter but he doesn't appear ready for the ND HC gig. As as I'm concerned he's got 1 more yr to get it together and figure it out. No more deer in the headlights

Reactions: bIhawk
Lots of bad today. Turn overs spotted them 10. First and goal at the 3 and you take a FG before half. Lose by 8.

The WR cannot get separated and Sam forces it to them.

This team needs some upgrades in the offensive side. Too many “possession” people.

But it’s year 2, this is a championship D. We need to fix the O.

They apparently don't have brains for game day football. I like Marcus. Very charismatic guy and recruiter but he doesn't appear ready for the ND HC gig. As as I'm concerned he's got 1 more yr to get it together and figure it out. No more deer in the headlights
👍

Starting Angeli is just giving him a stage to show his talents before going to the portal. Because Freeman brought in Hartman, he has no choice but to go to the portal again next year. Which leaves Angeli no choice but to hit the portal himself. And when Freeman does that, he better OK it with Carr, or he risks losing him also.

start Steve Angelli.

Need to claw back that wasted NIL money!

I was against this because we had shown some really good things throughout the year, but now it’s time since there’s nothing really left to play for. The defense gave him so many opportunities to make plays, and he just couldn’t make one. It’s almost impossible to have that many in completions in the fourth quarter of the defense is tired, but it was just one incompletion after another and some of them weren’t even really close..
Exactly correct. Hartman was having a bad day. Insert angelli on just 1 drive and see how it goes. Sometimes a change of pace is needed . The D gave the I plenty of chances to win the game and we couldn’t do it. Jmo

start Steve Angelli.

Sorry, don’t. Agree. He came to play. He, for most part, has lead the team like a true leader.

But according to you we can't replace him so.... what does it matter if he is missing open wrs and playing poorly.

Just keep throwing him out there
I never said don't make the switch. I'm saying none of us know if Angeli or Minchey are better than Hartman. You play the best 11 on offense period.

Reactions: d1042 and geisha
I saw this but they were probably trying to go to the corner route to Greathouse. The shallow route was not the first option on the play. Hartman took the downfield shot and it was incomplete.
So you are saying he's forcing the throw? That's equally as bad when you have a wide open receiver.

There's a really good discussion i listened to about this with Bryan Driscoll. They basically watched the film and broke down the offense on a bunch of critical plays. Hartman missed open receivers on several occasions, they also critical of several play calls by Parker, and noted how the OL was getting pushed back by the Clemson DL. Also mentioned Clemson was down 8 starters and ND made a freshman 3rd string D player look like a superstar.

Reactions: d1042
So you are saying he's forcing the throw? That's equally as bad when you have a wide open receiver.

There's a really good discussion i listened to about this with Bryan Driscoll. They basically watched the film and broke down the offense on a bunch of critical plays. Hartman missed open receivers on several occasions, they also critical of several play calls by Parker, and noted how the OL was getting pushed back by the Clemson DL. Also mentioned Clemson was down 8 starters and ND made a freshman 3rd string D player look like a superstar.
When you have tight man coverage, its not really “forcing” the throw when you throw a lofting pass. You’re giving your guy an opportunity to catch it or draw a PI. Doesn’t always work but I think that’s the idea.

I don’t consider that play missing the open guy. ND was looking to give Greathouse an opportunity there in my opinion. It just didn’t work out.

I’m only on quarter 2, but the offense doesn’t look too shabby. Obviously its the 2nd half where it was bad though.

Last edited:
Reactions: geisha
start Steve Angelli.

Play the QB that gives us the best chance to win. Working in the others for meaningful snaps might be a possibility. Playing a QB that does not give us the best chance to win will create friction in the locker room. The players, particularly those playing their last season want to win. They don't care about development. My bigger concern is why has Hartman regressed? Why do we have to run a scan offense (line up then look to the coach for a play call). Not allowing Hartman (except on extreme circumstances) to check in or out of plays is baffling to me.

Reactions: Kelso86
I never said don't make the switch. I'm saying none of us know if Angeli or Minchey are better than Hartman. You play the best 11 on offense period.
You often don't know until they get game reps

You often don't know until they get game reps
I get it but we don't know what's going on in practice. In reality Hartman's last 5 games just 5 TD's to 7 INT's tells me he's stinking up the place.
The fact that Hartman hadn't gotten pulled by the coaches tells me neither Minchey or Angeli can come in and do better.

I get it but we don't know what's going on in practice. In reality Hartman's last 5 games just 5 TD's to 7 INT's tells me he's stinking up the place.
The fact that Hartman hadn't gotten pulled by the coaches tells me neither Minchey or Angeli can come in and do better.
Coaches are very often loyal to players and afraid to make big tough decisions. You should know that from following ND football for so long. Coaches cling to experience and upper classmen far too often

Coaches are very often loyal to players and afraid to make big tough decisions. You should know that from following ND football for so long. Coaches cling to experience and upper classmen far too often
Why aren't you a Head Coach?

You have all the answers, and you never attend a practice.

I do not think Hartman is the issue whatsoever. Mostly it is a bad game plan. I have been screaming for short slant passes when the other team blitz’s it’s line backers. It is referred to as a sight adjustments, but that does not happen.
If anything he does not hit his check downs enough. Book made a career out of doing it.

I do not think Hartman is the issue whatsoever. Mostly it is a bad game plan. I have been screaming for short slant passes when the other team blitz’s it’s line backers. It is referred to as a sight adjustments, but that does not happen.
If anything he does not hit his check downs enough. Book made a career out of doing it.
Tepid WR play, an inexperienced OC, OL play that is underwhelming...especially the interior guys, and let's place the lion's share of the blame on Sam Hartman.

Reactions: notredamerises23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT