ADVERTISEMENT

This loss is on the players not the coaches

Zorich 88

I've posted how many times?
Dec 7, 2006
Starting at QB

I have said week after week, Pyne would not start on any team ND play’s.

The only mistake the coaches made was offering Pyne a scholarship.

The coaches did nothing wrong in that loss yesterday.

Players have to execute.

Pyne missed a lot of big plays. Plus the penalties. The illegal man down field took points off the board.

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
It’s more than Pyne from a player standpoint.

Tyree has to pick up his TE is on the line and step back. That 7pts is on him.

DP has to protect that ball before half.

Estime has to know it’s a crucial drive and opportunity is short, you got the first no need to put yourself in a bad spot.

DP has to hit one of those 3 wide open receivers for the TD.

The coaches own it, the players own it more on this day.

Starting at QB

Players have to execute.

Pyne missed a lot of big plays. Plus the penalties. The illegal man down field took points off the board.
And you thought ND was going undefeated this year. ND would beat OSU while running for 300 yards. You have no credibility.

Starting at QB

Players have to execute.

Sorry I'm usually on the players gotta make plays bandwagon but this is bullshit.

Yes plays were missed, BUT STANFORD played of the wrs all game. They played vs the run the Entire game and Rees ran right into it. He was also calling power running plays with Chris Tyree vs ANYTHING IN SPACE! Jet sweeps with a slow wr on 4th down when you don't throw, easily the worst call I've seen this year. Constantly starting drives with two runs up the middle AGAINST THE ENTIRE DEFENSE that put you against 3rd and 4. Seriously tx high school run more complex offenses.

one of the worst called games I have ever seen

Last edited:
Reactions: TheSodFather
I have to put this loss on the coaches, particularly Rees. He got outcoached by Stanford's DC.

Reactions: Airzee23
Starting at QB

Players have to execute.

Don’t post stupid thoughts. You are like Pyne you don’t belong on scholarship to this forum

it is all on the coaches. All of it. Rees can’t o plan at all. 8-9 in box and we keep running up middle. No deep throws except Tobias. Team not ready again mentally is on freeman. Defense was porous in Golden. Player development and putting a guy in lineup like our linebacker who has better hair than instincts. All coaching

what’s your next point? Give freeman 4 years to develop his own players?

Don’t post stupid thoughts. You are like Pyne you don’t belong on scholarship to this forum

it is all on the coaches. All of it. Rees can’t o plan at all. 8-9 in box and we keep running up middle. No deep throws except Tobias. Team not ready again mentally is on freeman. Defense was porous in Golden. Player development and putting a guy in lineup like our linebacker who has better hair than instincts. All coaching

I REALLY believe the dl is the issue with the defense. The lbs are having to cover gaps for the interior line not being disruptive and leaving the safeties to clean up. The lack of true big bodies in the middle is causing a lot of unintended issues.

I REALLY believe the dl is the issue with the defense. The lbs are having to cover gaps for the interior line not being disruptive and leaving the safeties to clean up. The lack of true big bodies in the middle is causing a lot of unintended issues.
Add to that our linebackers are completely horrendous

Reactions: Chitown11
Washington was horrible at Ohio State and they warned us when we hired him that he’s a decent recruiter but a terrible coach. All freeman cares about is recruiting he doesn’t give a damn about coaching. I literally think the man believes that he can just recruit his team, build relationships and then sit back and watch them play. That is very Charlie like. Kelly emphasized coaching and to be honest he was not a horrible recruiter like people say just look at his classes. he consistently brought in top 15 classes every single year and he coached them up and sent so many kids to the NFL it’s unreal. Well he never really got that elite quarterback, he sure as hell was a lot better coach than Freeman.

Reactions: Airzee23
Washington was horrible at Ohio State and they warned us when we hired him that he’s a decent recruiter but a terrible coach. All freeman cares about is recruiting he doesn’t give a damn about coaching. I literally think the man believes that he can just recruit his team, build relationships and then sit back and watch them play. That is very Charlie like. Kelly emphasized coaching and to be honest he was not a horrible recruiter like people say just look at his classes.
He might be able to do that if he built a great group of coaches around him. He doesn't have that now

He might be able to do that if he built a great group of coaches around him. He doesn't have that now
He might but I do think people underestimate the importance of being a head coach. People like to think that head coaches don’t do a lot, but there is a reason why there are only like 10 really good ones. they envision a culture and they build it. The fact is, Tom was considered an elite and upcoming offensive coordinator under Kelly, now he is going to get shit canned and his career might be over. The facts just line up with Freeman as the culprit.

Kelly held everyone in the program to a high standard. All of his assistant coaches respected him or feared him. All of his players were scared to death of disappointing him. Hell, even the referees and the media were scared of them. He was friendly but not their friend. He was hard, expected a lot, and wanted to win. And he did win, a lot.

Last edited:
Sorry I'm usually on the players gotta make plays bandwagon but this is bullshit.

Yes plays were missed, BUT STANFORD played of the wrs all game. They played vs the run the Entire game and Rees ran right into it. He was also calling power running plays with Chris Tyree vs ANYTHING IN SPACE! Jet sweeps with a slow wr on 4th down when you don't throw, easily the worst call I've seen this year. Constantly starting drives with two runs up the middle AGAINST THE ENTIRE DEFENSE that put you against 3rd and 4. Seriously tx high school run more complex offenses.

one of the worst called games I have ever see
they scored 16 points.. we should have scored 50!!!!!!

He might but I do think people underestimate the importance of being a head coach. People like to think that head coaches don’t do a lot, but there is a reason why there are only like 10 really good ones. they envision a culture and they build it. The fact is, Tom was considered an elite and upcoming offensive coordinator under Kelly, now he is going to get shit canned and his career might be over. The facts just line up with Freeman as the culprit.
Agreed. It is going to take more than just recruiting. He is probably going to get the chance to hire his own OC first.

Based on his decision at DC there is not much reason to be optimistic. He will get that shot either way.

It's probably going to take two years like this for Swarbrick to move off Rees though so we may have to buckle up for the long haul again.

Agreed. It is going to take more than just recruiting. He is probably going to get the chance to hire his own OC first.

Based on his decision at DC there is not much reason to be optimistic. He will get that shot either way.

It's probably going to take two years like this for Swarbrick to move off Rees though so we may have to buckle up for the long haul again.
If we don’t make a bowl game this year, Jack is going to have to consider firing Freeman next year if it doesn’t get off to a tremendous start. You just can’t tear down an empire in such a short period of time and expect to keep your job. Notre Dame has been a respected and relevant program for the past decade. One man destroyed it literally within the first year.

They are having to crash the line constantly and are not disruptive at all. If any dlineman could get any pressure I bet the linebackers would look a lot better.

How about the coaches understanding their own personnel's strengths and weaknesses and putting them in position to succeed. Our players - from a pure talent standpoint - are vastly superior to Stanford. There is absolutely no excuse for this kind of showing. Despite some of the hatred against Kelly, the one thing he could be counted on was to beat the inferior teams. Something like 40 straight against unranked opponents. Why didn't we lose any of those games due to poor performances from our players? Control for factors and it's obvious there is something fundamentally wrong with our HC.

How about the coaches understanding their own personnel's strengths and weaknesses and putting them in position to succeed. Our players - from a pure talent standpoint - are vastly superior to Stanford. There is absolutely no excuse for this kind of showing. Despite some of the hatred against Kelly, the one thing he could be counted on was to beat the inferior teams. Something like 40 straight against unranked opponents. Why didn't we lose any of those games due to poor performances from our players? Control for factors and it's obvious there is something fundamentally wrong with our HC.
Brian Kelly was a very seasoned and experienced head coach that knew the intricate pieces of a season and his teams well enough and understood how to win those kinds of tough games week after week. He always said winning isn’t easy, and it’s not as you can see across the landscape of college football. The difference is that if Brian Kelly was on the sidelines we would have beaten both Marshall and Stanford but maybe only by three or 10 points. Nobody remembers the score just the record. However we would be a one loss team right now, which makes all the difference. Marcus Freeman wouldn’t be as good as Brian Kelly if you gave him the next 20 years. it’s not a job you can just wing.

Kelly held everyone in the program to a high standard. All of his assistant coaches respected him or feared him. All of his players were scared to death of disappointing him. Hell, even the referees and the media were scared of them. He was friendly but not their friend. He was hard, expected a lot, and wanted to win. And he did win, a lot.
You make many good points. But Kelly holding staff to high standards is questionable. Exhibit A. Van Gorder. Exhibit B. Polian Exhibit C. Del Alexander. Exhibit C. Himself not winning any big game except Okla 2012 Clemson doesn’t count without Lawrence

Reactions: mirer03
You make many good points. But Kelly holding staff to high standards is questionable. Exhibit A. Van Gorder. Exhibit B. Polian Exhibit C. Del Alexander. Exhibit C. Himself not winning any big game except Okla 2012 Clemson doesn’t count without Lawrence
He was by no means perfect. But, last year around this time I was sad because we had one loss and might not make the playoffs. My my have times have changed. Winning isn’t easy.

There is an equation for winning in college football and it has really kind of been that way for as long as I’ve been alive You hire elite head coaches.

I agree. Coaching should be questioned for sure but simple mistakes by our offense directly costed us at least 14 points. If Pyne hits one of the TD throws he missed, if Evan’s doesn’t have the stupid penalty, or if Styles doesn’t drop the ball in the end zone we win. I think they need to really evaluate whether Rees is the guy going forward no doubt, but hopefully the players are taking accountability too

The best move is to bring in someone with a track record for developing quarterbacks that is still hungry enough to want to make a name for himself. If Carr gets developed, we have a shot. But I honestly wouldn’t be surprised, nor would I blame him, if he ends up at Michigan.

Pyne stinks. Offensive weapons are average.

12-0 caliber defense.
4-8 offense
I think the offense is more like 7-5 caliber when playing well. The defense is better but nowhere near 12-0 caliber, there’s a big gap between our defense and Georgia etc.

And you thought ND was going undefeated this year. ND would beat OSU while running for 300 yards. You have no credibility.
So, I was wrong about OSU and going undefeated, ok???? So what???

That does not mean I no longer have an opinion.

Reactions: IrishMike409

Yea. Of course you can have them. Just saying you are wrong frequently. Just like I'm wrong about this coaching staff. I just didn't give my opinion.

He never questioned your right to have an opinion, he questioned your judgement, ergo your credibility

Reactions: NIN Irish

Hi. I'm an amateur when it comes to Xs and Os. It seems to me Pyne and Buchner have accuracy issues, with questionable WRs, although Tobias looks promising. Shouldn't ND then look to leverage a supposedly capable OL and 3 backs with a power running game?

Indeed, shouldn't ND be able to run up the middle against a team like Stanford putting 8 or 9 in the box? With such a huge weight advantage? I've seen some teams impose power similarly when the have such an advantage.

Also, if 9 are stacked, I have to ask: why can't Pyne hit somebody W R or TE short? Making more room for the running game?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT