ADVERTISEMENT

The future of the program..BK

Those posts are completely irrelevant. We have a season worth of data and evidence on which to judge the Virginia Tech defense. They were awful. You can't credit for ND scoring points against a defense that was assumed to be good, when several months later it was proven to be awful... That would fit well into the category of delusion.

I say again, Notre Dame faced to two defenses this year with a pulse. The first was Michigan and Brandon Wimbush quarterbacked that game. The second was Clemson and Ian Book quarterbacked that game on route to 3 points and ONE total trip to the red zone on the night.

What you forget is that you have to look at the opponent and the defense when you ACTUALLY PLAY them, not at the end of the season.

Go back and look at the Clemson tape.

Your criticism is misguided

That's an emphatic lie. I've been talking about this since Book took over, literally every week... Ian has struggled mightily downfield this season. It wasn't just this game, it's been his major weakness all season.

I do remember 12-0. It was an excellent season... Now it's time to make the next step and figure out how to compete with the big boys. You're either getting better or you're getting worse. You're never staying the same. If you're happy with 12-0 and getting boat raced in every significant bowl game for the past 25 years, that's your business... The conversation is about what's necessary to take the next step. It starts with better recruiting (landing a few more difference makers), a complete coaching staff and a quarterback who can make all the throws, not just the ones inside of 15 yards.

“Struggled mightily” ?

He completed 70 % of his passes and was undefeated.

Book made deep throws all season, you just forgot them.

Granted he doesn’t have Kizer’s arm or downfield accuracy but Kizer’s an NFL QB

That's an emphatic lie. I've been talking about this since Book took over, literally every week... Ian has struggled mightily downfield this season. It wasn't just this game, it's been his major weakness all season.

I do remember 12-0. It was an excellent season... Now it's time to make the next step and figure out how to compete with the big boys. You're either getting better or you're getting worse. You're never staying the same. If you're happy with 12-0 and getting boat raced in every significant bowl game for the past 25 years, that's your business... The conversation is about what's necessary to take the next step. It starts with better recruiting (landing a few more difference makers), a complete coaching staff and a quarterback who can make all the throws, not just the ones inside of 15 yards.

Was Kizer not a difference maker ?

“Struggled mightily” ?

He completed 70 % of his passes and was undefeated.

Book made deep throws all season, you just forgot them.

Granted he doesn’t have Kizer’s arm or downfield accuracy but Kizer’s an NFL QB

I haven't forgotten them. I documented them a couple weeks back in a debate on this board. Ian was not a good downfield passer this year. He hit a couple in stride, but for the majority of the year he was off the mark.

I've watched the Clemson tape. Ian was bad... As soon as the pressure got home the first time, he had happy feet after that. He was bailing from pressure that wasn't there up the middle at times and ran right into sacks off the edge. He missed a wide open Boykin on play action over the middle for an easy first down on 4th and short in the first half. He missed Boykin again on a post route for a would be touchdown. He fumbled and gave away a possession while scrambling. He threw threw a desperate interception into coverage.

Ian didn't get a ton of help on Saturday. He had 3 dropped balls, and an offensive line that wore down as the game went on, but why are we defending the kid's performance? Clemson thoroughly exploited his weaknesses through a good game plan, and he didn't play anywhere near the level of the other 3 quarterbacks in the playoffs this year.

I haven't forgotten them. I documented them a couple weeks back in a debate on this board. Ian was not a good downfield passer this year. He hit a couple in stride, but for the majority of the year he was off the mark.

I've watched the Clemson tape. Ian was bad... As soon as the pressure got home the first time, he had happy feet after that. He was bailing from pressure that wasn't there up the middle at times and ran right into sacks off the edge. He missed a wide open Boykin on play action over the middle for an easy first down on 4th and short in the first half. He missed Boykin again on a post route for a would be touchdown. He fumbled and gave away a possession while scrambling. He threw threw a desperate interception into coverage.

Ian didn't get a ton of help on Saturday. He had 3 dropped balls, and an offensive line that wore down as the game went on, but why are we defending the kid's performance? Clemson thoroughly exploited his weaknesses through a good game plan, and he didn't play anywhere near the level of the other 3 quarterbacks in the playoffs this year.
Were was the running game to take off the pressure?
A single back standing upright handed the ball with no momentum is not the answer

Were was the running game to take off the pressure?
A single back standing upright handed the ball with no momentum is not the answer

Clemson recruited the best defensive line in the country. They're 6'4 330lbs on the inside and grown ass men on the edge... They didn't allow a single 100 yard rusher this year. Notre Dame was never going to be able to run at them with any level of consistency.

Clemson recruited the best defensive line in the country. They're 6'4 330lbs on the inside and grown ass men on the edge... They didn't allow a single 100 yard rusher this year. Notre Dame was never going to be able to run at them with any level of consistency.
You put BW mixed in there you just might.
I mean Book wasn't getting it done.....right?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT