ADVERTISEMENT

The future of the program..BK

Notre Dame’s lopsided 30-3 loss had nothing to do with recruiting.

It had nothing to do with talent.

Those are weak excuses.

So now Furman, Georgia Southern, Georgia Tech, Syracuse, Florida State, Louisville, South Carolina, Pitt, Texas A & M and Boston College recruit better and have more talent than Notre Dame ?

Not one team on Clemson’s entire 2018 schedule scored fewer points than ND. not one team !

Furman scored 7

Georgia Southern scored 7

Georgia Tech scored 21

Syracuse scored 23

Florida State scored 10

Louisville scored 16

South Carolina scored 35

Pitt scored 10

Texas A & M scored 26

Boston College scored 7

NOTRE DAME SCORED 3

Notre Dame scored 3 after a month’s preparation!

30-3 wasn’t about recruiting and talent !

It was about preparation and coaching, including game plans and in game adjustments.

Not true you say ?

Then go back and look at the points that Clemson’s inferior opponents scored and compare them to Notre Dame’s 3 points.

Deja Vu, all over again !
Are... you serious?

Those are weak excuses.

So now Furman, Georgia Southern, Georgia Tech, Syracuse, Florida State, Louisville, South Carolina, Pitt, Texas A & M and Boston College recruit better and have more talent than Notre Dame ?

Not one team on Clemson’s entire 2018 schedule scored fewer points than ND. not one team !

Furman scored 7

Georgia Tech scored 21

Syracuse scored 23

Florida State scored 10

Louisville scored 16

South Carolina scored 35

Pitt scored 10

Texas A & M scored 26

Boston College scored 7

NOTRE DAME SCORED 3

It was about preparation and coaching, including game plans and in game adjustments.

Not true you say ?

Then go back and look at the points that Clemson’s inferior opponents scored and compare them to Notre Dame’s 3 points.

Might be the post of 2018. Moreover remember what I said about Ian Book and the offense dinking and dunking ALL the time. Where is the down field passing in the seems or a 25 yard crossing route.

We've none of that and Clemson had an easy time playing against us.

It also hurts drastically we've not one player who can stretch the field.

The BK lovers say we do but they aren't playing for whatever reason.

Doesn't matter the why...if they aren't playing we have no game breaker.

Clemson been there before...was ready...we looked juvenile...AGAIN

Those are weak excuses.

Furman scored 7

Georgia Tech scored 21

Syracuse scored 23

Florida State scored 10

Louisville scored 16

South Carolina scored 35

Pitt scored 10

Texas A & M scored 26

Boston College scored 7

NOTRE DAME SCORED 3

Not true you say ?

Would you say the Clemson D is bit more amped up and in a different mindset for ND compared to the Furman? All teams have letdowns even Alabama. This game showed me and a lot of fans that the Irish had a very good year. Coach Kelly did a very good job. It's extremely difficult to go 12-0 BUT they are way behind the big boys. If you can't see that there is nothing I can say to convince you otherwise.

Would you say the Clemson D is bit more amped up and in a different mindset for ND compared to the Furman? All teams have letdowns even Alabama. This game showed me and a lot of fans that the Irish had a very good year. Coach Kelly did a very good job. It's extremely difficult to go 12-0 BUT they are way behind the big boys. If you can't see that there is nothing I can say to convince you otherwise.

Sure, but ND was equally amped up.

The talent gap was galaxies away. They were bigger faster stronger more athletic and just more skilled.

Baloney,

Do you think that Syracuse and Texas A & M are whining about Clemson being bigger, faster, stronger and more athletic and more skilled” ?

Do you think that Syracuse and Texas A & M think that the talent gap is galaxies away ?

Stop making excuses !

Reactions: Kelso86
A serious question.

For the good of the program would you keep everything in place or do you cut ties and go in a different direction.

These types of games are hard to shake the reputation of pretender.

With everything still in place this game will have a lasting effect not good for the program IMO.

If you overhaul the staff you can at least find peace with going in a new direction. A new chapter. Old results are in the past. We're serious about winning a championship going forward.

If you stay status quo you keep the pretender shadow looming large.

I truly believe Mr. Swarbrick needs to make a change. 2012 reputation has hung on like a big cobweb. 2018 is a brand new cobweb adding to the one from 2012...still hanging on.

P.s.

30-3...Clemson could have made this 44-3 or 51-3 quite honestly. Dabo called the dogs off.
Hopefully with the amount of NFL jobs open (I think 8) some sucker will hire Kelly away from ND. It’s are only real hope at this point.

Hopefully with the amount of NFL jobs open (I think 8) some sucker will hire Kelly away from ND. It’s are only real hope at this point.

Great. Then we can have another Willingham or Weis and get blown out by Air Force at home.

Really ?

And who are you going to choose to replace him ?

Baloney,

Do you think that Syracuse and Texas A & M are whining about Clemson being bigger, faster, stronger and more athletic and more skilled” ?

Do you think that Syracuse and Texas A & M think that the talent gap is galaxies away ?

Stop making excuses !
Not an excuse. Yes shit coaching but they clearly have superior talent.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
Really ?

And who are you going to choose to replace him ?
Brent Venables, Luke Fickell, Kyle Whittingham, Jeff Monken May be some good options. Or take a chance at a young guy who brings some energy. Look to the NFL for someone. Sticking with Kelly ensures we stay in this constant cycle we are currently in.

Because that is logically what will Happen.

Before Kelly, I didn’t think we could even have two of these seasons in a 6 year span given how hamstrung we are compared to other programs.

There’s a greater probability of hiring an overall mediocre coach like Willingam or a good recruiter who is an average to atrocious coach in Charlie Weis than someone who can win 12 games at ND.

Last edited:
Before Kelly, I didn’t think we could even have two of these seasons in a 6 year span given how hamstrung we are compared to other programs.

There’s a greater probability of hiring an overall mediocre coach like Willingam or a good recruiter who is an average to atrocious coach in Charlie Weis than someone who can win 12 games at ND.
There’s always the best of both worlds just hanging around freshly retired who said Notre Dame is his dream job... just saying.

Is the talent level the same now as was under Holtz?
Are the recruiting classes top 5 as they were under Holtz?
Why not?
I think i know the answer as to what happened after Holtz was fired but, I'd like your opinions.

Is the talent level the same now as was under Holtz?
Are the recruiting classes top 5 as they were under Holtz?
Why not?
I think i know the answer as to what happened after Holtz was fired but, I'd like your opinions.
An administration who couldn’t care less about winning a national title and who laughs in the fans faces for spending hundreds of millions a year on fools gold while they rake in cold hard cash.

Brent Venables, Luke Fickell, Kyle Whittingham, Jeff Monken May be some good options. Or take a chance at a young guy who brings some energy. Look to the NFL for someone. Sticking with Kelly ensures we stay in this constant cycle we are currently in.

So a 12-0 regular season isn’t good enough for you ?

Have any of the coaches you listed gone 12-0 ?

So a 12-0 regular season isn’t good enough for you ?

Have any of the coaches you listed gone 12-0 ?

I think he is saying it is like finishing 2nd in the Indy 500.
A great race but, not 1st place. And who remembers 2nd place finishers?

Reactions: VTND
Did everybody forget that Book completed 70 % of his passes during the regular season !

Not 50 %, not 60 %, but 70 %, and you’re unhappy with that ?

No, it isn’t. Not when you can’t win on the big stage. no one cares about the teams you are supposed to beat. It’s the upper echelon teams true ND fans want to see the team perform against.

So do you think the fans of the loser of Alabama vs Clemson will whine that they didn’t have a successful season like some on here are whining ?

Like Uncle Jack said at the end of 2016...Who out there is better than Brian Kelly that wants the job? Fair weather fans, and we mock other school's fan bases when they have meltdowns after a disappointing lose. I guess we're no different after all. Next coach in even if he sends us back into the toilet days. NO THANK YOU. Come on Coach and get it right next year.
Next year, every year. Anh.

Reactions: VTND
Ian Book didn't face a single top 40 Total defense or top 50 scoring defense... Clemson was the first time he faced a defense with a pulse.

I thought that Everyone was touting VT’s defense.

Go back and look at the game.
Look at the dropped passes, PI’s and no PI call on a TD.

Book can only play the teams on the schedule and Book can only run the plays called by the coaches.

Go back and watch the game.

Then tell us who Book should throw to whenall his receivers are covered.

Book went 17-34.
Add in 3 dropped balls and it’s 20-34 for 59 %

Add in 3 PI’s and it’s 23-37 for 62 %

Add in the horrendous no-call PI and it’s 24-37 for 65 %

Go back and watch the game in regular and slo-mo time with an analytic not an emotional eye and you’ll change your assessment of the game and Book’s performance

Book can only play the teams on the schedule and Book can only run the plays called by the coaches.

Book went 17-34.

Go back and watch the game in regular and slo-mo time with an analytic not an emotional eye and you’ll change your assessment of the game and Book’s performance

Does not matter if you can't throw over the top of a defense. I've repeated this a number of times over the past few days. Against elite defenses you need to be able to score on shot plays. You're not going to routinely drive down the field and methodically dissect them. ND learned that lesson the other night. Hell, Clemson couldn't even do it to Notre Dame with their firepower, so what did they do? They had their quarterback throw lightning bolts in stride to their 6'4 burners downfield.

ND's offense desperately needs a pair of receivers that can take the top off the defense, and either Ian Book needs to learn how to throw with some accuracy downfield, or they need a quarterback who can.

College football is more than ever about the ability to hit the big play. Clemson possessed that ability and proved it. Notre Dame has lacked that ability for a lot of the year and on Saturday they that came to a head.

You need a quarterback that can throws darts downfield, wide receivers that can get behind coverage and make contested catches, and an offensive line that can hold its own in protection long enough to give your quarterback a chance.

Book went 17-34.

Also, Virginia Tech's defense was not good. They lost a ton of starters from a year ago, were ravaged by injury and had true freshmen playing out of necessity, all over the field. They finished #85 in scoring defense and #99 in total defense. They got SHREDDED in their loss to Old Dominion. They were an absolute dumpster fire.

Also, Virginia Tech's defense was not good. They lost a ton of starters from a year ago, were ravaged by injury and had true freshmen playing out of necessity, all over the field. They finished #85 in scoring defense and #99 in total defense. They got SHREDDED in their loss to Old Dominion. They were an absolute dumpster fire.

Go back and read the posts BEFORE the VT game.

20-20 hindsight makes everyone a genius

Does not matter if you can't throw over the top of a defense. I've repeated this a number of times over the past few days. Against elite defenses you need to be able to score on shot plays. You're not going to routinely drive down the field and methodically dissect them. ND learned that lesson the other night. Hell, Clemson couldn't even do it to Notre Dame with their firepower, so what did they do? They had their quarterback throw lightning bolts in stride to their 6'4 burners downfield.

ND's offense desperately needs a pair of receivers that can take the top off the defense, and either Ian Book needs to learn how to throw with some accuracy downfield, or they need a quarterback who can.

College football is more than ever about the ability to hit the big play. Clemson possessed that ability and proved it. Notre Dame has lacked that ability for a lot of the year and on Saturday they that came to a head.

You need a quarterback that can throws darts downfield, wide receivers that can get behind coverage and make contested catches, and an offensive line that can hold its own in protection long enough to give your quarterback a chance.

You don’t ask for much.
Maybe we should have the L.A. Rams and K.C. Chiefs dress for us on Saturday’s

Go back and look at the tape of the Clemson game.

You do remember that we went 12-0 and we did it with a QB throwing darts downfield with wide receivers who got behind coverage.

Why are some taking the Clemson game and expanding it as if it applied to the entire 12-0 season ?

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Go back and read the posts BEFORE the VT game.

20-20 hindsight makes everyone a genius

Those posts are completely irrelevant. We have a season worth of data and evidence on which to judge the Virginia Tech defense. They were awful. You can't credit for ND scoring points against a defense that was assumed to be good, when several months later it was proven to be awful... That would fit well into the category of delusion.

I say again, Notre Dame faced to two defenses this year with a pulse. The first was Michigan and Brandon Wimbush quarterbacked that game. The second was Clemson and Ian Book quarterbacked that game on route to 3 points and ONE total trip to the red zone on the night.

You don’t ask for much.

You do remember that we went 12-0 and we did it with a QB throwing darts downfield with wide receivers who got behind coverage.

Why are some taking the Clemson game and expanding it as if it applied to the entire 12-0 season ?

That's an emphatic lie. I've been talking about this since Book took over, literally every week... Ian has struggled mightily downfield this season. It wasn't just this game, it's been his major weakness all season.

I do remember 12-0. It was an excellent season... Now it's time to make the next step and figure out how to compete with the big boys. You're either getting better or you're getting worse. You're never staying the same. If you're happy with 12-0 and getting boat raced in every significant bowl game for the past 25 years, that's your business... The conversation is about what's necessary to take the next step. It starts with better recruiting (landing a few more difference makers), a complete coaching staff and a quarterback who can make all the throws, not just the ones inside of 15 yards.

You don’t ask for much.

Agree

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT