ADVERTISEMENT

A lot of prospects slept on Brian Kelly while he was at Notre Dame

Hes 20 and 7, no top 15 finishes, his defense stinks, and we stole his best coach

I'm sorry, that's just not crushing it
To be clear my argument isn't really about what LSU has done in their first two years under Brian Kelly (although the evidence is really good in his favor) but more about what it looks like they're about to do going forward with the quality of players they have incoming in this 2025 class.

To be clear my argument isn't really about what LSU has done in their first two years under Brian Kelly (although the evidence is really good in his favor) but more about what it looks like they're about to do going forward with the quality of players they have incoming in this 2025 class.
We were 8th and LSU was 9th in the final F+ ranking this past season, and both teams went 10-3. So our seasons were actually quite similar in that regard. Although our teams were very different, as their offense was better and our defense was better.

Reactions: chaseball
The eveidence is not as good as you think. We'll see if they all stick when they lose 3 to 4 games this season. Their 5 star wr is still taking visits

I think Brian Kelly's reputation/profile as a top player developer in the college ranks is quickly sky rocketing since taking over at LSU.

Brian Kelly was always an elite player developer though but he was always working with a talent handicap at ND (partially his own fault) with mostly three and four star players.

BK is now getting the elite 5-star chads in big numbers at LSU and is no longer being slept on (as per the level of talent LSU has incoming in their '25 class)

I think BK is creating a sleeping monster at LSU and will shortly have more material to work with than he ever had in his wildest dreams while he was at Notre Dame
Not really. LSU has always attracted top talent. It’s not necessarily due to BK

On the contrary, for 2024 draft, 2 picks in first 6, 3 in first 23, 4 in 48, 5 by 116, 6 in top 200…and coupled with a half dozen drafted last year..more likely suggests he isn’t maximizing their talent

Reactions: francade
The eveidence is not as good as you think. We'll see if they all stick when they lose 3 to 4 games this season. Their 5 star wr is still taking visits
When Notre Dame signs a good 2025 recruit, you do back flips.

When Someone points out LSU’s elite 2025 recruiting, you point out that they aren’t signed yet.

Reactions: chaseball

On the contrary, for 2024 draft, 2 picks in first 6, 3 in first 23, 4 in 48, 5 by 116, 6 in top 200…and coupled with a half dozen drafted last year..more likely suggests he isn’t maximizing their talent
Notre Dame had more NFL draft picks than LSU.

Is Marcus Freeman at 10-3 maximizing Notre Dame talent?

When Notre Dame signs a good 2025 recruit, you do back flips.

When Someone points out LSU’s elite 2025 recruiting, you point out that they aren’t signed yet.
I didn't say LSU wasn't recruiting at an elite level and they should be excited and I would too if I was an LSU fan

But I know and you know because you have mentioned it many times, Notre Dame has less decommits throughout the years than any of the top programs. LSU always has multiple decommits every year. At a minimum, 4 decommits a year and sometimes double digits

We don't lose guys nearly like that. And also, I see LSU losing around 4 games this year and I don't see us losing that much

If I was an LSU fan, i would be cautious. Because their 5 star WR is already taking visits elsewhere. Our guys are not

Notre Dame had more NFL draft picks than LSU.

Is Marcus Freeman at 10-3 maximizing Notre Dame talent?
No, not quite. 11 wins would have been about right. So he didn't maximize the talent we had

Keliy is a very good coach. I wasn’t a fan of his personality. To me he came across as smug and at times condescending. However, minus one year he did very well at ND. He did get them back in the conversation. I don’t think he was a very good recruiter or developer of talent.

As far as his stint at LSU. I’ll say this. He was signed for one reason and one reason only. That’s to win a national championship. That’s it. I’m not going to get into schematics. But at LSU there are less obstacles than at ND. He basically said as much when he took that job. So any thing less than a national championship at LSU is a disappointment. Not necessarily a failure but definitely a disappointment. Can he win it all down there ? Yes , I think he can. Will he win a championship down there? I have my doubts. Time will tell.

Kelly only went 10-3, despite having the Heisman-winning QB and two 1st round WRs last year. They did have a tough schedule, though.
They had a truly horrible defense. He's the coach, so he has to answer for everything. But that was a playoff-caliber offense at least, and just a top 25 type defense, rather than one of the worst P5 defenses out there it seemed like, and he finally might have got his elusive MNC....

I think both can be true at the same time.

Kelly's first two classes (23 & 24) at LSU were pretty mediocre for their standard but I think the development on offense really raised his profile last year and it's showing with the 5-star talent he has secured (and the many other elite players he's in play with still) in this 2025 class.

I don't think the incoming prospects that were considering ND back during the BK era gave enough respect to the job BK was doing from a pure player developmental standpoint. If they had, BK would have secured better classes on the recruiting trail at ND and ultimately produced better results.

I think the move to LSU corrected a lot of these issues for Brian Kelly as LSU is going to get that state's talent regardless, and with Saban gone, BK is set to do some major damage in the SEC/CFB playoff going forward imo.

Last edited:
Keliy is a very good coach. I wasn’t a fan of his personality. To me he came across as smug and at times condescending. However, minus one year he did very well at ND. He did get them back in the conversation. I don’t think he was a very good recruiter or developer of talent.

As far as his stint at LSU. I’ll say this. He was signed for one reason and one reason only. That’s to win a national championship. That’s it. I’m not going to get into schematics. But at LSU there are less obstacles than at ND. He basically said as much when he took that job. So any thing less than a national championship at LSU is a disappointment. Not necessarily a failure but definitely a disappointment. Can he win it all down there ? Yes , I think he can. Will he win a championship down there? I have my doubts. Time will tell.

Did we replace him with equal or better ?

Requires a Y or N answer.

I don't see how this adds to the conversation I already told you that over time my opinion has changed and I've come to believe that the biggest issues at Notre Dame were not because of Brian Kelly but because of the failures of the people above his pay grade

Look at what Brian Kelly is doing at LSU where he has full support of the University to create the best football program in the country

he's getting five star recruits he's developing Heisman trophy quality players, developing first round talent at skill positions, securing elite talent at critical positions on the recruiting trail, competing with the best teams in the country on the football field etc ultimately his decision to leave Notre Dame is looking more and more like the best career decision he's ever made in his life
And he just finished 10-3, not good enough for LSU. Yeah hes doing swell, SMH

He's finished top 10 in F+ in both seasons at LSU and now he's crushing it on the recruiting trail after the work he did developing Daniels and the other elite players on that offense last year

Whatever ranking you are citing probably isn't adjusting for opponent quality and for luck
WOW, top 10 in your stupid F+ meaningless bull shit

Last edited:
Reactions: NDinNJ
I think both can be true at the same time.

Kelly's first two classes (23 & 24) at LSU were pretty mediocre for their standard but I think the development on offense really raised his profile last year and it's showing with the 5-star talent he has secured (and the many other elite players he's in play with still) in this 2025 class.

I don't think the incoming prospects that were considering ND back during the BK era gave enough respect to the job BK was doing from a pure player developmental standpoint. If they had, BK would have secured better classes on the recruiting trail at ND and ultimately produced better results.

I think the move to LSU corrected a lot of these issues for Brian Kelly as LSU is going to get that state's talent regardless, and with Saban gone, BK is set to do some major damage in the SEC/CFB playoff going forward imo.
Was it BK's job to educate those recruits back in the day on the success of his player development so they had respect for his accomplishments? I assume it was, so, was Brian Kelly sleeping on the job RE: Recruiting, while at ND? Or was a 17yr old kid supposed to discern all this on their own? Or, I guess you'll say, that wasn't Kelly's job here - someone else was supposed to educate them on his developmental prowess.

Notre Dame is in great position for 12 of the top 120 composite players in the nation. Last year I think they signed 5, maybe 6. So they have doubled their production. The have also secured 2 of the best coordinators in the game. They are dropping 8 figures into the sports facilities. They are positioned perfectly for the playoffs over the next 2 years. They have landed arguably the most coveted QB in the transfer portal in back to back years. Marcus Freeman now has actual head coaching experience. They just came off their best PPG production on offense and defense in YEARS. Notre Dame is in great shape. LSU, not so much. Kelly will be gone by the end of the 2025 season. He is not better than Kirby, Lane, or probably Sark.

Which is no different than all of us but there isn't anything to back it up that's tangible.

Best post in the thread.

Which is no different than all of us but there isn't anything to back it up that's tangible.
True. If I am being honest , Kelly is better at this stage. There is no substitute for expierence. He has that and then some. However, you gotta start somewhere and MF is definitely getting better.

Kelly could take a very small amount of credit but that's about it

Our 25 draft class will end up with more players selected than the 24 class
Wait what? Did we forget that this is the coach that players had to complain about and some said they never even talked to or saw around the program.

What credit is he taking?

Wait what? Did we forget that this is the coach that players had to complain about and some said they never even talked to or saw around the program.

What credit is he taking?
I'm giving him a very small amount of credit only because he signed the players other than JJB.

Reactions: mirer03
He had the Heisman Trophy winner and the #2 and #7 pick in this year's NFL draft and he still lost 3 games. Lane Kiffin had a better record than Kelly last year.

Always thought Kelly was a very good coach. It remains to be seen if he can win it all. Helps that Saban is gone, I guess.
They weren't the #2 and #7 pick before BK got there. He developed them into elite players. That's why they now have the #1 RB, #1 WR, and #1 QB prospect secured in the 2025 class (all 5-star top 15 overall players)

Also, LSU finished #9 in F+ to Ole Miss #15 last year. Both were good teams, LSU was better though.

They weren't the #2 and #7 pick before BK got there. He developed them into elite players. That's why they now have the #1 RB, #1 WR, and #1 QB prospect secured in the 2025 class (all 5-star top 15 overall players)

Also, LSU finished #9 in F+ to Ole Miss #15 last year. Both were good teams, LSU was better though.
LSU finished 10-3 while Mississippi finished 11-2.

Mississippi beat LSU head up while outgaining them by 69 yards.

LSU beat 7-6 Wisconsin in their bowl game. Mississippi beat 10-3 Penn State in their bowl game. It was 38-17 with 6 minutes remaining in the game.

All of that on top of having the Heisman trophy winner and two other star receivers making for three 1st rounders. Daniels made all kinds of plays with his legs.

There’s close to zero chance that LSU was better than Ole Miss. Their defense was terrible.

LSU finished 10-3 while Mississippi finished 11-2.

Mississippi beat LSU head up while outgaining them by 69 yards.

LSU beat 7-6 Wisconsin in their bowl game. Mississippi beat 10-3 Penn State in their bowl game. It was 38-17 with 6 minutes remaining in the game.

All of that on top of having the Heisman trophy winner and two other star receivers making for three 1st rounders. Daniels made all kinds of plays with his legs.

There’s close to zero chance that LSU was better than Ole Miss. Their defense was terrible.
The exercise that you are doing in the first half of this post (who beat who and by how much) is what F+ does but far more comprehensively. And F+ had LSU as the better team by a comfortable margin.

If LSU and Ole Miss were to play in a hypothetical rematch last season, Vegas would likely have LSU favored by a touchdown on a neutral field.

They both went 6-2 in the SEC. Both lost to Alabama by 14. So I'd say they were pretty even, but I'd have to give the nod to Ole Miss, because they won HTH.

The exercise that you are doing in the first half of this post (who beat who and by how much) is what F+ does but far more comprehensively. And F+ had LSU as the better team by a comfortable margin.

If LSU and Ole Miss were to play in a hypothetical rematch last season, Vegas would likely have LSU favored by a touchdown on a neutral field.
They don't have to play in a hypothetical matchup. They played. Ole Miss won

The team that wins in a single head-to-head game isn't always the better team.
True but LSU only lost the turnover battle 1-0 while Ole Miss out-gained them by 69 yards and won. I don’t believe it was a particularly fluky game either.

If we use your F+, and average out the OF+, DF+, and SF+, Ole Miss comes out way ahead of LSU.

Who knows, maybe LSU is a better team, but its kind of hard to say that definitely when the other team won head up in a non-fluky game and put up more yards, has a better record, and has a better combined average of OF+, DF+, SF+.

Ole Miss also comes out ahead if you combine the statistical rankings for total offense, scoring offense, total defense, and scoring defense.

The BK bashing continues. I already provided the 411 on the LSU 2023 season. They had a MNC-caliber offense, and a very shitty defense that definitely cost them the Ole Miss game. And they probably could have beat Bama too with a better defense. I'm just going to go ahead and say they lose to FSU either way. I don't know if they would have beat UGA in the SECCG....

We had 7 players drafted. LSU had 6
I think what's shocking to me is Freeman's first Defensive class was the 2022 class. BenMo is a stud and obviously will get drafted. No one else is close to a sure thing. If sneed puts it together he's probable and could go early, and maybe burnham as a late draft pick one day. After that, nothing. Mickey is probably 3rd DB this year.

That defensive class looked so strong on paper but isn't panning out. We're super lucky players like Mills/Watts/Cross/Kiser are staying for another year, maybe even botelho if he puts it together and is healthy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT