ADVERTISEMENT

A lot of prospects slept on Brian Kelly while he was at Notre Dame

I think what's shocking to me is Freeman's first Defensive class was the 2022 class. BenMo is a stud and obviously will get drafted. No one else is close to a sure thing. If sneed puts it together he's probable and could go early, and maybe burnham as a late draft pick one day. After that, nothing. Mickey is probably 3rd DB this year.

That defensive class looked so strong on paper but isn't panning out. We're super lucky players like Mills/Watts/Cross/Kiser are staying for another year, maybe even botelho if he puts it together and is healthy.
1. It's still early. They are only going into their Jr years. They have 3 years of eligibility left

2. They only signed 10 defensive players

Morrison is the only stud so far. Ziegler and Bellamy transferred. Sneed, Mickey, Hinish, Burnham and Junior will all be in the rotation. Goabaira is a injury but still like his potential in 25. Ford looks like a miss so far

Reactions: FightingIrish44
1. It's still early. They are only going into their Jr years. They have 3 years of eligibility left

2. They only signed 10 defensive players

Morrison is the only stud so far. Ziegler and Bellamy transferred. Sneed, Mickey, Hinish, Burnham and Junior will all be in the rotation. Goabaira is a injury but still like his potential in 25. Ford looks like a miss so far
I think Junior and Ford are the misses. I really hope Junior is NOT in the rotation. If he plays over a healthy Botelho and Traore i'll lose my you know what.

I too had high hopes for Gobaira. I hope he can recover from his injury by summer to get in shape for fall camp. It's going on 9 months from his injury. If he's not ready to participate in fall camp (even if not 100%) that's probably a bad sign for his recovery and future.

The BK bashing continues. I already provided the 411 on the LSU 2023 season. They had a MNC-caliber offense, and a very shitty defense that definitely cost them the Ole Miss game. And they probably could have beat Bama too with a better defense. I'm just going to go ahead and say they lose to FSU either way. I don't know if they would have beat UGA in the SECCG....
I don’t get it …………. He’s gone …………. He’s been gone for years ……… Time to move on !

I think Junior and Ford are the misses. I really hope Junior is NOT in the rotation. If he plays over a healthy Botelho and Traore i'll lose my you know what.

I too had high hopes for Gobaira. I hope he can recover from his injury by summer to get in shape for fall camp. It's going on 9 months from his injury. If he's not ready to participate in fall camp (even if not 100%) that's probably a bad sign for his recovery and future.
He was 3rd string last year and got some rotational snaps so I expect about the same this year. 3rd string type reps

I think Gobaira will be ready by fall but I don't think he'll be able to pass up Oben and Burnham. He should battle Young for 3rd string reps

To be clear my argument isn't really about what LSU has done in their first two years under Brian Kelly (although the evidence is really good in his favor) but more about what it looks like they're about to do going forward with the quality of players they have incoming in this 2025 class.
Let’s switch topic for a moment and talk about Prime… gotta love his transfers out, his recent tweeting episodes, and his 4-8 record….amirite?

True but LSU only lost the turnover battle 1-0 while Ole Miss out-gained them by 69 yards and won. I don’t believe it was a particularly fluky game either.

If we use your F+, and average out the OF+, DF+, and SF+, Ole Miss comes out way ahead of LSU.

Who knows, maybe LSU is a better team, but its kind of hard to say that definitely when the other team won head up in a non-fluky game and put up more yards, has a better record, and has a better combined average of OF+, DF+, SF+.

Ole Miss also comes out ahead if you combine the statistical rankings for total offense, scoring offense, total defense, and scoring defense.
There's already a total "F+" rating (you don't simply add up the Offense/Defense/Special teams ratings because these components in the F+ formula need to be properly weighted). The total F+ rating shown in the first column has these data weighted correctly:

LSU had a 1.60 overall F+ (#9) to Ole Miss 1.35 F+ (#15) rating for the season. These ratings can directly be translated to a point spread (using each tenth of a point in the rating). F+ would have LSU favored in a hypothetical bowl game rematch by ~5-10 points. Vegas oddsmakers use similar systems to help them set their lines.

Last edited:
I don't see how this adds to the conversation I already told you that over time my opinion has changed and I've come to believe that the biggest issues at Notre Dame were not because of Brian Kelly but because of the failures of the people above his pay grade

Look at what Brian Kelly is doing at LSU where he has full support of the University to create the best football program in the country

he's getting five star recruits he's developing Heisman trophy quality players, developing first round talent at skill positions, securing elite talent at critical positions on the recruiting trail, competing with the best teams in the country on the football field etc ultimately his decision to leave Notre Dame is looking more and more like the best career decision he's ever made in his life
I looked, BK is losing plenty of games.

There's already a total "F+" rating (you don't simply add up the Offense/Defense/Special teams ratings because these components in the F+ formula need to be properly weighted). The total F+ rating shown in the first column has these data weighted correctly:

LSU had a 1.60 overall F+ (#9) to Ole Miss 1.35 F+ (#15) rating for the season. These ratings can directly be translated to a point spread (using each tenth of a point in the rating). F+ would have LSU favored in a hypothetical bowl game rematch by ~5-10 points. Vegas oddsmakers use similar systems to help them set their lines.
To add to this post: If we are judging how successful BK has been in relation to Lane Kiffin, Kiffin even has the advantage of being in year 4 to Kelly's year 2 last season. Brian Kelly's programs usually take a big step up in year 3 after he gets that "unconscious competence" level of routine built into his players and eradicates the losing from the facilities (this is a concept/culture that takes years to build at a program). i just see a lot of potential over there with a ton of reinforcements coming next season (2025) from their recruiting class.

Brian Kelly spitting facts in this speech at Cinci (before he was hired away to ND):

Last edited:
To add to this post: If we are judging how successful BK has been in relation to Lane Kiffin, Kiffin even has the advantage of being in year 4 to Kelly's year 2 last season. Brian Kelly's programs usually take a big step up in year 3 after he gets that "unconscious competence" level of routine built into his players and eradicates the losing from the facilities (this is a concept/culture that takes years to build at a program). i just see a lot of potential over there with a ton of reinforcements coming next season (2025) from their recruiting class.

Brian Kelly spitting facts in this speech at Cinci (before he was hired away to ND):

They will lose 3 to 4 games this season

Anyone who would sing the praises of Lane Kiffin over BK, that says all you meed to know about them. BK is a totally good coach and good guy that anyone could love, self-made and super successful. While Lane Kiffin is this total spoiled brat piece of shit. Who was handed everything and ran out of two of his first coaching jobs he didn't deserve on the merits, mainly on account of what a piece of shit he was, because apparently, for as stupid, immature and generally terrible as he comes off, he is apparently something of an offensive mastermind type. I'm assuming at least, maybe he's not even that. If he wasn't a famous coach's son trained from birth he'd presumably have become the proverbial insurance salesman.....

I understand that F+ doesn’t calculate like that, but you’re using F+ to definitively state that LSU was better than Ole Miss. Couldn’t someone use F+ to definitively state that the defense and special teams for Ole Miss were much better than LSU’s units and therefore a more complete team?

In 2020, BYU finished #2 ahead of Ohio State, Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia, and Notre Dame. Would you pick BYU in a hypothetical match between any of those teams?

Computer models have value but they’re not perfect.

I understand that F+ doesn’t calculate like that, but you’re using F+ to definitively state that LSU was better than Ole Miss. Couldn’t someone use F+ to definitively state that the defense and special teams for Ole Miss were much better than LSU’s units and therefore a more complete team?

In 2020, BYU finished #2 ahead of Ohio State, Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia, and Notre Dame. Would you pick BYU in a hypothetical match between any of those teams?

Computer models have value but they’re not perfect.
Coaching made up for the lack of F+ firepower at OlMiss!

So….you continue to extoll the virtues of the details surrounding F+…(lol)….and find ways to downgrade any positive ND news…

but when it comes to Prime, you give him a pass …and ignore the details of the number of transfers out of Colorado (6+ dozen), or the poor HS recruiting into Colorado (avg 40+ range) , or the winning percentages of the teams they beat and the teams they lost, or the 4-8 record, or the BS chatter on social media coming from Prime and his boys …

Lmao

Lane Kiffin is perfect for Mississippi.
I think that is an odd 'cultural fit.' The Kiffins have always been about flash and big cities. IF Lane continues to overachieve he should be hired away very soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT