ADVERTISEMENT

A lot of prospects slept on Brian Kelly while he was at Notre Dame

chaseball

I've posted how many times?
Sep 8, 2007
I think Brian Kelly's reputation/profile as a top player developer in the college ranks is quickly sky rocketing since taking over at LSU.

Brian Kelly was always an elite player developer though but he was always working with a talent handicap at ND (partially his own fault) with mostly three and four star players.

BK is now getting the elite 5-star chads in big numbers at LSU and is no longer being slept on (as per the level of talent LSU has incoming in their '25 class)

I think BK is creating a sleeping monster at LSU and will shortly have more material to work with than he ever had in his wildest dreams while he was at Notre Dame

Last edited:
I think Brian Kelly's reputation/profile as a top player developer in the college ranks is quickly sky rocketing since taking over at LSU.

Brian Kelly was always an elite player developer though but he was always working with a talent handicap at ND (partially his own fault) but still developing three and four star players into NFL prospects at an impressive clip during his ND tenure.

BK is now getting the elite 5-star chads in big numbers at LSU and is no longer being slept on as per the level of talent they have incoming in this '25 class

I think BK is creating a monster at LSU rn and is shortly going to have more material than he's ever had in his wildest dreams previously to work with
What a crock of BS. BK never developed a QB at ND. He will never win a NC at lsu and will probably be run out of town in a couple years. lsu doesn't have the patience like ND

Brian Kelly was always an elite player developer though but he was always working with a talent handicap at ND (partially his own fault) with mostly three and four star players.

BK is now getting the elite 5-star chads in big numbers at LSU and is no longer being slept on (as per the level of talent LSU has incoming in their '25 class)

I think BK is creating a sleeping monster at LSU and will shortly have more material to work with than he's ever had in his wildest dreams while he was at Notre Dame.

You never miss a chance to bash ND, do you? BTW, when Brian Kelly was at ND, you were one of his biggest critics. What a hypocrite.

What a crock of BS. BK never developed a QB at ND. He will never win a NC at lsu and will probably be run out of town in a couple years. lsu doesn't have the patience like ND
Thank you Mel! You know it all

I think BK is creating a sleeping monster at LSU and will shortly have more material to work with than he's ever had in his wildest dreams while he was at Notre Dame.
We had 7 players drafted. LSU had 6

Reactions: SIhoosier26

When you get to shop down that "different aisle" and have hoards of 5 stars coming your way, it says less about you're player development. 5 star players are ranked based off how likely they will be future NFL players. A 5-star will likely get into the NFL regardless of who is developing them. I think your point is moot.

You’re entitled to your opinion

• Love
Reactions: chaseball
When you get to shop down that "different aisle" and have hoards of 5 stars coming your way, it says less about you're player development. 5 star players are ranked based off how likely they will be future NFL players. A 5-star will likely get into the NFL regardless of who is developing them. I think your point is moot.
As are most things this clown posts

Yes, but LSU’s players weren’t Kelly’s players, ND’s were
The transfers on each team that got drafted were the new coach's players. That would be JJB for us, and 3 of the 6 LSU players drafted.

The transfers on each team that got drafted were the new coach's players. That would be JJB for us, and 3 of the 6 LSU players drafted.
Jayden Daniels, who spent two seasons at LSU, benefited from Brian Kelly and Mike Denbrock.

• Haha
Reactions: Chitown11
Kelly only went 10-3, despite having the Heisman-winning QB and two 1st round WRs last year. They did have a tough schedule, though.
Lousy defense. And lousy is an understatement.

Coaches get way too much credit for "player development" as it is. At best they just recruit the most talented and hardest working players that eventually get themselves into the NFL, but they will sit there and say that player wouldn't have gotten to the NFL without them. All these college players are doing training outside of their team to some extent. It is the player that gets themselves into the NFL ultimately. The player has to do the work. The player has to make the sacrifice.

Also, how much of getting into the NFL is based off of pure genetics? You need to be a certain size and have a certain make up of fast twitch muscle fibers to be able to cut it in the NFL. Coaches don't coach that stuff.

Coaches get way too much credit for "player development" as it is. At best they just recruit the most talented and hardest working players that eventually get themselves into the NFL, but they will sit there and say that player wouldn't have gotten to the NFL without them. All these college players are doing training outside of their team to some extent. It is the player that gets themselves into the NFL ultimately. The player has to do the work. The player has to make the sacrifice.

Also, how much of getting into the NFL is based off of pure genetics? You need to be a certain size and have a certain make up of fast twitch muscle fibers to be able to cut it in the NFL. Coaches don't coach that stuff.
I feel the opposite.

Good coaches, good motivators, IMO, do not get enough credit.

He had the Heisman Trophy winner and the #2 and #7 pick in this year's NFL draft and he still lost 3 games. Lane Kiffin had a better record than Kelly last year.

Always thought Kelly was a very good coach. It remains to be seen if he can win it all. Helps that Saban is gone, I guess.

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
I feel the opposite.

Good coaches, good motivators, IMO, do not get enough credit.
Maybe in the 50's and 60's. It's all about metrics these days. That's why the combine exists. NFL teams are drafting based off of those metrics. You could be a generational college football player and never pan out in the NFL. Happens all the time. Tim Tebow comes to mind. Even Reggie Bush was just ok in the NFL. NFL is a different beast and not everyone has the attributes to hang in it.

And thankfully they got developed by Freeman and Golden

And thankfully Freeman took Denbrock from Kelly
It was Brian Kelly's offense at Notre Dame, it's Brian Kelly's offense at LSU, he simply hires good people to carry out what he wants.

• Haha
Reactions: Chitown11
Maybe in the 50's and 60's. It's all about metrics these days. That's why the combine exists. NFL teams are drafting based off of those metrics. You could be a generational college football player and never pan out in the NFL. Happens all the time. Tim Tebow comes to mind. Even Reggie Bush was just ok in the NFL. NFL is a different beast and not everyone has the attributes to hang in it.
Gee. OK.

Like BVG ?

We'll see how good their offense is this year
Gosh, you mean the LSU offense may take a step back after Kelly and Denbrock developed a Heisman Trophy winner and overall #2 draft choice at QB?

Shocking.

Last edited:
We had 7 players drafted. LSU had 6
I think Brian Kelly is still partially responsible for the development of the players that got drafted in this year's class at Notre Dame

Also without looking it up my guess is LSU had their players drafted higher than Notre Dame's on aggregate

Regardless as we turn the calendar to year 3, 4, 5, and beyond it's going to be really interesting to see if Freeman can maintain or even supersede the player development beyond that of the previous regime. I think Marcus Freeman is still in that window where he's still benefiting from the work/decisions made/personnel of the previous head coach at Notre Dame and that we're going to see if he MF can sink or swim here pretty shortly as we get further away from the Brian Kelly era at ND

Last edited:
You never miss a chance to bash ND, do you? BTW, when Brian Kelly was at ND, you were one of his biggest critics. What a hypocrite.
I criticized Brian Kelly for the lack of recruiting results and the lack of ceiling/upside in his program at ND

But over time I've come to realize or believe that the issues I thought I had with Brian Kelly were actually issues that went above his pay grade at Notre Dame and had more to do with the failures of the AD and administration

Last edited:
I bashed Brian Kelly for the lack of recruiting results he was getting at Notre Dame.

But over time I've come to realize or believe that the issues at Notre Dame in regards to recruiting are issues that went above Brian Kelly's pay grade and had more to do with the failures of the AD and administration at ND

You bashed Kelly for anything and everything. You repeatedly said that "anybody" would be a better coach than Kelly. Now you act like Kelly is the best coach in CFB. Your backtracking is stunning.

You bashed Kelly for anything and everything. You repeatedly said that "anybody" would be a better coach than Kelly. Now you act like Kelly is the best coach in CFB. Your backtracking is stunning.
I don't see how this adds to the conversation I already told you that over time my opinion has changed and I've come to believe that the biggest issues at Notre Dame were not because of Brian Kelly but because of the failures of the people above his pay grade

Look at what Brian Kelly is doing at LSU where he has full support of the University to create the best football program in the country

he's getting five star recruits he's developing Heisman trophy quality players, developing first round talent at skill positions, securing elite talent at critical positions on the recruiting trail, competing with the best teams in the country on the football field etc ultimately his decision to leave Notre Dame is looking more and more like the best career decision he's ever made in his life

Last edited:
Yes, but LSU’s players weren’t Kelly’s players, ND’s were
I think he deserves partial credit for Notre Dame players that were drafted and partial credit for LSU players that were drafted he's had multiple years with both

I don't see how this adds to the conversation I already told you that over time my opinion has changed and I've come to believe that the biggest issues at Notre Dame were not because of Brian Kelly but because of the failures of the people above his pay grade

Look at what Brian Kelly is doing at LSU where he has full support of the University to create the best football program in the country

he's getting five star recruits he's developing Heisman trophy winning players, developing first round talent at skill positions, securing elite talent at the most critical positions on the recruiting trail, competing with the best teams in the country, etc ultimately his decision to leave Notre Dame is looking more and more like the best career decision he's ever made in his life
Why was their defense so bad last year, then?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Brian Kelly has zero interest in player development.

He is a system coach and there are plusses and minus' to that. He leaves player development to his position coaches.

At ND his lack of ability to hire quality assistants is what hampered him. Brian Van Border. Del Alexander. Tommy Rees. Todd Lyght. Etc.

The only thing Brian Kelly was good at from player development perspective was taking inexperienced QBs and raising their floors significantly through his system.

Reactions: bizzybecknd

As someone who remembers the Charlie Weis era clear as day the contrast between Charlie Weis and Brian Kelly as it related to the development of the players on the roster was night and day.

College coaches have a major impact on the development of their talent but you can't develop three and four star players beyond what the competition can do with four and five star players and that still remains a fact today

Last edited:

he's getting five star recruits he's developing Heisman trophy quality players, developing first round talent at skill positions, securing elite talent at critical positions on the recruiting trail, competing with the best teams in the country on the football field etc ultimately his decision to leave Notre Dame is looking more and more like the best career decision he's ever made in his life
Developing Heisman players.

Dude you lost it.

Reactions: bizzybecknd
I think Brian Kelly is still partially responsible for the development of the players that got drafted in this year's class at Notre Dame

Also without looking it up my guess is LSU had their players drafted higher than Notre Dame's on aggregate

Regardless as we turn the calendar to year 3, 4, 5, and beyond it's going to be really interesting to see if Freeman can maintain or even supersede the player development beyond that of the previous regime. I think Marcus Freeman is still in that window where he's still benefiting from the work/decisions made/personnel of the previous head coach at Notre Dame and that we're going to see if he MF can sink or swim here pretty shortly as we get further away from the Brian Kelly era at ND
Kelly could take a very small amount of credit but that's about it

Our 25 draft class will end up with more players selected than the 24 class

His record there is 20 and 7 and he lost his best coach this offseason. And his defense stinks

He finished the season ranked 18th and 20th

Yeah, he's really crushing it

His record there is 20 and 7 and he lost his best coach this offseason. And his defense stinks

He finished the season ranked 18th and 20th

Yeah, he's really crushing it
He's finished top 10 in F+ in both seasons at LSU and now he's crushing it on the recruiting trail after the work he did developing Daniels and the other elite players on that offense last year

Whatever ranking you are citing probably isn't adjusting for opponent quality and for luck

I think he deserves partial credit for Notre Dame players that were drafted and partial credit for LSU players that were drafted he's had multiple years with both
Shouldn’t he ONLY get credit for the players that he recruited at both institutions ?

More double talk. I don't think that there is anyone on this board who knows less about football than you do. Yeah, look what Brian Kelly is doing at LSU. You probably made at least 50 posts saying that ND should fire Kelly and that "anyone" would be better. That utterly tanks your credibility.
And I have made at least 50 posts telling you than you need to find another school to pull for. You like nothing about ND. You dislike the school, the administration, the coaching staff and the players. You are beyond pathetic.

He's finished top 10 in F+ in both seasons at LSU and now he's crushing it on the recruiting trail after the work he did developing Daniels and the other elite players on that offense last year

Whatever ranking you are citing probably isn't adjusting for opponent quality and for luck
Hes 20 and 7. I dont care about F-, it's been proven to be a joke

20 and 7, no top 15 finishes, his defense stinks, and we stole his best coach

I'm sorry, that's just not crushing it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT