ADVERTISEMENT

Sammy Heisman

geez, if this guy starts off slow, this place will implode! heads will explode!
I'm not expecting heisman but it wouldn't shock me if week 10 he's in the talk

If he starts out slow, 90% on Rees and he will have proven how bad of a coach he is. There is no excuse with our oline, rbs, wr talent to not have an explosive offense next year.

We also start out with 3 cup cakes, should be averaging 45ppg heading into Ohio state.

So? OSU and Marshall we didn't have Jarrett Patterson and we're trying to rush the passer. Pyne was no threat to pass. You realize playing the run is different than pursuing a QB right? Do you also realize the blocking scheme is totally different when. The offense is running vs passing? It's much more likely the issue is that the defenses ND played while running with Pyne actually hid the pass pro issues that are inherent with the line, and once again facing actual pass rushing they were exposed...again.

The biggest issue with your post is that the issue isn't the qb. You do realize the center controls the line right? Calls the pass pro, identify the lb/hot blitz, etc. Normally, that would be zeke, but it appeared lugg and Patterson also played a role.
QBs routinely change and or call pass protections at every level. They have the best vantage point. The centers job is to identify the MIKE linebacker and depending on the scheme you go from there.

This is totally incorrect.

Watch any ND game the last two years and watch lugg lift his hand calling out the lb.

Is he checking with the QB? No.

He's making sure the center is aware and that they are in the right package.

It's freaking laughable that you think the QB out of the shotgun is calling oline protection.
It's not incorrect. Protections are quite often adjusted based on how the defense lines up. Interior lineman have a terrible vantage point. The QB has the best view. Most protection changes are very subtle. It's not brain surgery.

I'm done arguing, but you're flat out wrong. Play call has protection, and QB modifies as needed. Oline just confirms who they have. Way over simplified it but that's it.

You do not want an oline calling the protection and then having the QB not know what's going on. That would be moronic. Yes you see lugg point, but you don' see him yelling back to the QB what modifications they've made because that's now what is happening. You want the QB to modify protections so they know where vulnerability is and they have best view as well.
He also points or touches the center to indicate the snap in a shotgun set in a loud environment.

QBs routinely change and or call pass protections at every level. They have the best vantage point. The centers job is to identify the MIKE linebacker and depending on the scheme you go from there.
Thank you, we obviously don't always agree, but I appreciate and respect your opinion on a lot of topics, especially involving oline. I'm far from a detailed expert on specific oline play (teaching footwork, hands, eyes, etc) but i really really enjoy and have spent a lot of time on X's and O's, and pre snap reads.

Lol. Sigh. Just let it go. The QB doesn't call protections. It's been explained very well by other posters.

Reactions: 88ND
Lol. Sigh. Just let it go. The QB doesn't call protections. It's been explained very well by other posters.
Thats just wrong. If you are talking about college only, yeah you'd be more right but still some QBs call out the Mike and protections

Tom Brady calls out the Mike and line adjustments every snap. 54 is the Mike, Rita Rita means protection sliding to the right or Linda Linda slide protection to the left.

He does it every single game

It depends on the team. A lot of QBs identify the Mike
yep.... then oline may point out who they have for clarity based off of that.

I don't know of a single team that has the oline change the entire protection

Just learned Hartman was the recipient of the 2022 Brian Piccolo Award. Given to the most courageous player in the ACC. So that tells me a lot about what ND is getting.

Reactions: Notre Dame du Lac
I wish Buchner was accurate. His running can demoralize a defense.

Buchner is inaccurate. Period.
My issues with Buchner’s INACCURATE throws aren't sailing the ball or short hopping.
He's off the mark far too often left and right. Some cases it's a yard or more off target which is 3 plus feet. It's really bad when he throws a mid range....(mid range to most people but it's about the furthest he's got and another issue altogether)

As far as your Wimbush comparisons....what is this now? A pissing contest on awarding the least accurate crown?

We've a better collective team today than the Wimbush era. Yeah I know Book was the savior...which I told y'all he was going to start in a few weeks and most people's response was Book is the backup for a reason
(the very same who now want to erect a Book statue outside the main gate)🙄🙄🙄🙄

Wimbush was inaccurate. Buchner is inaccurate. Who gives a shit which one was worse. Incompletions and turnovers hurt all the same.

As far as your simple fixes by coaching in either party's case
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Utterly comical.
We're talking foothall at nearly the highest level, right? If it was just that simple as "the right QB coach" christ every team would have a great QB.
Hell they can just video QBing 101.

Do you really think @ ND or any top football school they're thinking...boy why didn't we think to get him a proper QB coach. Never seen that coming. If we only could've thought to bring in the QB professor all of playerX's problems go away.
All those hours at practice. All the skeketon drills and nobody coaching the offense can see this simple and easy fix?

Apparently "the right" QB coach was just too expensive to add to the staff.

If Buchner was accurate little things can be polished.

He's not an accurate passer
I'm puzzled by the term "inaccurate". Is there a pitcher in MLB that is inaccurate?

SH is the shit. No offense to TB, but I don't think he's going to beat him out. We got SH so we can start winning now and he's going to be the guy. And he's a badass, that's just a given. I'm glad to see the ND media rallying around him. It's time to get fired up about the SH era!

Reactions: Notre Dame du Lac
I'm puzzled by the term "inaccurate". Is there a pitcher in MLB that is inaccurate?
What's puzzling about it?

Far too often his passes are off the mark. Doesn't mean they're all incomplete or intercepted but when caught put the receiver in a position he can't capitalize on a possible big play.
That might mean a big gain or a long touchdown.
See wide open receiver vs. OSU that was over thrown.
The top teams routinely make those completions. It's how they get in shootouts like a 45-42 type of game.
Buchner is incapable of that kind of consistent accuracy.

If you can't see that then you must certainly think the QB position at ND has been doing an elite job over the last decade.

If you think that I can assure you the QB position has been incapable of winning big games against top competition like that.

Sorry

What's puzzling about it?

Far too often his passes are off the mark. Doesn't mean they're all incomplete or intercepted but when caught put the receiver in a position he can't capitalize on a possible big play.
That might mean a big gain or a long touchdown.
See wide open receiver vs. OSU that was over thrown.
The top teams routinely make those completions. It's how they get in shootouts like a 45-42 type of game.
Buchner is incapable of that kind of consistent accuracy.

If you can't see that then you must certainly think the QB position at ND has been doing an elite job over the last decade.

If you think that I can assure you the QB position has been incapable of winning big games against top competition like that.

Sorry
Actually, I wasn't referring to Buckner. I was just wondering about that term "inaccurate" as applied to a passer, any passer. Can a pitcher be called inaccurate?

Looking forward to seeing some actual deep ball throws this season for the first time since I can remember...

Hartman is already enrolled and taking classes. I don’t think he could go to Bama even if he wanted to at this point. Thoughts ?

Freeman has to craft this masterfully. Hopefully he saw this coming a mile away and already has his new guys lined up. If not, he’s a moron.

I still think it’s a ploy by Saban to get Hartman. There’s nothing special enough about Rees to make him the highest paid coordinator in football unless you bring Hartman with you.

Yeah you like our gimp legged, bum shouldered, no armed full back, that trips on steps at QB. We know that. Nobody else does. Not even Rees and Freeman.
Yeah they do. Thats why they made him the starter after 3.5 months out. I think Freeman loves him

Best Friends Friend GIF by PermissionIO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT