ADVERTISEMENT

**** Ryan Day

It's hard to say if it had an impact. I give Holtz a pass because he is 86 years old. But...if a legendary ND coach calls the rival team "soft" the week before a big game...I mean why would you do that?

VTKLLWN5LFCVJM5GZAXT3QFPKE.jpg

c35.gif

Reactions: deadirishpoet
I called those people clueless who were the ones being dismissive of motivational locker room speeches, when one of the most legendary motivational locker room speeches was delivered by Notre Dame coach, Knute Rockne !

You can’t get much more clueless than that !

To correct you, I never stated that ND lost because of Lou’s speech, ergo, you’re clueless when it comes to assigning that intent to my comment/s
Okay... Keep on keeping on.

I think we have just about kicked this one around to death, but I couldn't resist posting a piece from FIW that gives a blurb on what Dan Patrick had to say about Day's meltdown. Patrick is spot on:

Some of the memes and tweets following the Patrick video are priceless. The conclusion: Day is a crybaby. And he is still as soft as shit.

Last edited:
I think we have just about kicked this one around to death, but I couldn't resist posting a piece from FIW that gives a blurb on what Dan Patrick had to say about Day's meltdown. Patrick is spot on:

Some of the memes and tweets following the Patrick video are priceless. The conclusion: Day is a crybaby. And he is still as soft as shit.
Plus hes a douche bag

Day has always been a dbag. I don't care for the guy myself, but his comments after the game did not bother me. That whole "his team is soft" thing goes back to last year. Love Lou, but he he had it coming. He's using that type of material to motivate and fire up his team. Nothing wrong with that. I think Day fully knows this years team is not quite what is expected in Columbus so he'll do whatever needed to will his team to a few extra wins. Dbag or not, who doesn't want a coach that does that?

Reactions: albundy83
If Day used Holtz’s statement to motivate his team then it certainly influenced the outcome.

Evidently, Holtz’s comments stung and/or irritated Day to the degree that he was still irked post-game, even with a win.

Certainly the mistakes on and off the field determined the outcome, but don’t minimize the impact of motivational speeches
It was more than Holtz's comments, there's been bad blood between the two schools going back to last year when Freeman said it was a mistake picking OSU over ND out of HS.

Reactions: BGI User 756

Glad you brought this to the thread. For his first words on the field after the game to be such, is a little bit of “thou does protest too much”

And ND mauled them the last 25 mins

I’ll repeat that it had zero impact on game. And I can also agree that I wish Lou had not said it.

Reactions: DublinND
I seriously don't understand what the big deal is. Who cares?! Are we really that sensitive to get all butt hurt about coaches, etc., taking shots at each other? In this world of over the top political correctness, maybe some need to come back to reality and realize that if you decide to shoot your mouth off and take a shot at someone or a program, etc., you should expect it back at some point.

Best part, no one died, both teams will move on and play this week and the world still spins around the sun...

Yep, I agree...If John Cooper would've said those same things about the Irish before the game and ND won and Marcus went off afterwards on Cooper he would be a Hero on here and you know it!

The difference is that Marcus Freeman wouldn't have done what Day did. One, Marcus has too much class. Two, Marcus wouldn't have gotten his BVDs all twisted up over the idle comments made on a sports talk show by a former head coach of his opponent. Day looked small and petty. He is getting ripped by talking heads everywhere for what he did. And rightfully so.

The difference is that Marcus Freeman wouldn't have done what Day did. One, Marcus has too much class. Two, Marcus wouldn't have gotten his BVDs all twisted up over the idle comments made on a sports talk show by a former head coach of his opponent. Day looked small and petty. He is getting ripped by talking heads everywhere for what he did. And rightfully so.
And you know this how? He's already said things about OSU in the past. Classic!

Really? Did you miss the Freeman comments from last year ripping OSU before the game and how he made a mistake going to OSU out of high school - instead of ND? That's what triggered all of the hate between the coaches and the following of both schools.

Oh, and guess what school won BOTH games?

• Haha
Reactions: irishalice
Really? Did you miss the Freeman comments from last year ripping OSU before the game and how he made a mistake going to OSU out of high school - instead of ND? That's what triggered all of the hate between the coaches and the following of both schools.

Oh, and guess what school won BOTH games?

Freeman "ripped" OSU before last year's game? Show me where that happened. Freeman saying he wished he had gone to ND is hardly the same as "ripping" your opponent. Freeman has always been respectful of OSU, but I guess you OSU fans are as delusional as your head coach. If your head coach had to muster up false bravado over perceived slights from the innocuous comments from an 86-year old man, he is petty and small. And if you have to come on the message board of a rival and post taunts and stupid comments after your team won the game, you are equally small and petty.

Last edited:
Freeman "ripped" OSU before last year's game? Show me where that happened. Freeman saying he wished he had gone to ND is hardly the same as "ripping" your opponent. Freeman has always been respectful of OSU, but you OSU fans are as delusional as your head coach. If you have to muster up false bravado over perceived slights from innocuous comments, you are petty and small. Yes, OSU won the games, last year and this year. But that doesn't make Ryan's comments any less petty. Or you any less stupid for coming on the message board of a rival and posting stupid comments.
Not an OSU fan. Graduated from Northwestern and like many others in the Chicago area that are sick and tired of the ND arrogance.

And I don't have to show you anything - all I have to do is point to the scoreboard of the last 2 OSU-ND games. Had enough?

Last edited:
Not an OSU fan. Graduated from Northwestern and like many others in the Chicago area that are sick and tired of the ND arrogance.

And I don't have to show you anything - all I have to do is point to the scoreboard of the last 2 OSU-ND games. Had enough?
Please join albundy83 and go play on the highway

3-9 in 2021
1-11 in 2022

Beating Minnesota is a huge deal in Evanston.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT