ADVERTISEMENT

**** Ryan Day

I've spent some time on a few OSU boards - especially Eleven Warriors - and I think the Day eruption is more than just the Lou Holtz comments. If you remember back to last year, Marcus Freeman made a few comments about OSU and how it was a mistake to go to OSU instead of ND. I think this has been simmering for a couple of years now.

Hate to say it, but our coaches and ex-coaches (Holtz) just need to clam up and let the game take care of itself. It's just very unprofessional to downgrade your opponent before a big game
Had zero impact. Very weird for Day to harp on it.

It didn’t help OSU when ND drove 75 and 96 yards in 2 separate 2nd half drives to make it 14-10. Or to stop OSU on consecutive 3 and out drives . It didn’t make Brown drop that interception.

It was a whiny thing to do.

Had zero impact. Very weird for Day to harp on it.

It didn’t help OSU when ND drove 75 and 96 yards in 2 separate 2nd half drives to make it 14-10. Or to stop OSU on consecutive 3 and out drives . It didn’t make Brown drop that interception.

It was a whiny thing to do.
I would disagree.

Day would have been foolish to NOT use Holtz’s remarks to motivate his team.

Holtz gave him great motivational ammo, why wouldn’t he use it ?

I would disagree.

It didn’t work, if he did. Because ND was clearly the physically dominant team. Their last score was a result of ND coaches making a huge blunder!

Now after the game Day was a two time biatch

It didn’t work, if he did. Because ND was clearly the physically dominant team. Their last score was a result of ND coaches making a huge blunder!

Not true, it did work because when it counted their last score was a hard nosed 65 yard drive with only 86 seconds left on the clock !

No it's not. Especially when it from an 86 year old former coach
If you don't think bulletin board material is real, then you really don't understand sports. Football is one of the most ultra competitive events in the world, all these guys are constantly looking for an edge and constantly feel disrespected, because it's a good motivator. I remember in 2016 when Oklahoma's backup QB called the OSU defense 'basic' leading up to the game, and the defense ending up holding OU to like 17 points or something on offense. And after the game OSU players were holding white boards that said Basic all over them. Bulletin board material is a very real thing and it motivates everyone.

Not true, it did work because when it counted their last score was a hard nosed 65 yard drive with only 86 seconds left on the clock !
No that last drive was ND playing prevent defense and mismanaging the clock helped them. Plus only playing with 10..

Reactions: ftnfan62
I would disagree.

He might of used them during pre game but there was no impact during the game
Thie ONLY thing that Holtz comment done was give Day opportunity to shout at Lou.
Again there no impact during the game but what there was, was a man missing on the defense for their final score

If you don't think bulletin board material is real, then you really don't understand sports. Football is one of the most ultra competitive events in the world, all these guys are constantly looking for an edge and constantly feel disrespected, because it's a good motivator. I remember in 2016 when Oklahoma's backup QB called the OSU defense 'basic' leading up to the game, and the defense ending up holding OU to like 17 points or something on offense. And after the game OSU players were holding white boards that said Basic all over them. Bulletin board material is a very real thing and it motivates everyone.

Well it obviously had no mpact during the game, but a man miss on the D Line did

The stats proved that

Have you ever played football?

Calling a defense basic isn’t even an insult. Being basic is neither good nor bad.

Oklahoma had 253 yards of offense in the first half and 17 points. They also missed a chip shot 27 yard field goal. They drove the ball all the way to the 10 on the first drive. It should have been 20 points. If you duplicate the 253 yards for the second half, that’s 506 yards of offense, which would put OU as the #12 offense in the nation (and that’s not against a weak schedule…that’s Ohio State).

If you want to site the kickoff as scoring 7 points, fine. But that took away an opportunity for the OU offense to gain more yards. It could have been 300+ yards just in the first half. It appears the OSU defense was getting shredded.

Then they went 88 yards on the second drive of the 2nd half for a touchdown.

So where was the defensive motivation in all of this? Did Ohio State’s defense suddenly remember the QB’s comments and try harder after the second drive of the 2nd half? Why weren’t they trying harder in the first half? Where was the motivation?

Putting up signs that said, “basic defense” just showed a lack of class IMO. The comment didn’t effect the game.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
It is the oldest coaching trick in the book to pull out the Rodney Dangerfield "no one respects us!!!" card. The players usually know it is BS, but most are willing to suspend critical thinking in order to gain a temporary edge.

But Coach Day seems to be dipping into his own stash. He seems to believe his own bullshit.

Which is unsettling and weird.

Also, due to all his stress eating he is looking more and more like old school Brutus/Bluto from Popeye.

VTKLLWN5LFCVJM5GZAXT3QFPKE.jpg

If these words from Holtz were the difference in the game than ND should be ranked higher
Let's forget the stats which were clearly in ND favor and were the better team
Let's forget the 10 man defense because those words were so powerful a 14 man defense couldn't stop them.
They won't have Lou's words the rest of the season to inspire them so they better hope UM/PSU/B10 can supply it so they can continuethis improbable run.........
BTW that was sarcasm

Reactions: DublinND
He might of used them during pre game but there was no impact during the game
Thie ONLY thing that Holtz comment done was give Day opportunity to shout at Lou.
Again there no impact during the game but what there was, was a man missing on the defense for their final score
Pre-game often determines the outcome of the game

I played organized sports all my life and never needed bulletin board material to motivate myself to play well. It's way overrated. Maybe because Coach Sanders is talking about "keeping the receipts" it is now back in vogue, but I think its success as a motivational technique is overblown. Outside of what Lou said, where was the disrespect? It's not like the experts and pundits were disrespecting OSU. OSU was the Las Vegas favorite and most of the pundits were picking them. So Day has to reach down in the bottom of the bag and worry about the comments of a dottering, 86-year old former coach? Come on. Players and coaches decide the outcome of a game. Not the bulletin board. Maybe Holtz shouldn't have said what he said, but Day's reaction to Holtz's comments as soon as the game was over was whiny and unprofessional. He has a very thin skin.

Last edited:
I played organized sports all my life and never needed bulletin board material to motivate myself to play well. It's way overrated. Maybe because Coach Sanders is talking about "keeping the receipts" it is now back in vogue, but I think its success as a motivational technique is overblown. Outside of what Lou said, where was the disrespect? It's not like the experts and pundits were disrespecting OSU. OSU was the Las Vegas favorite and most of the pundits were picking them. So Day has to reach down in the bottom of the bag and worry about the comments of a dottering, 86-year old former coach? Come on. Players and coaches decide the outcome of a game. Not the bulletin board. Maybe Holtz shouldn't have said what he said, but Day's reaction to Holtz's comments as soon as the game was over was whiny and unprofessional. He has a very thin skin.
Motivation may be over rated. I don’t think so. Especially at collegiate level.

Think of Lou saying “save jimmy Johnson’s ass For me” Miami 88. Those players said they tore door off locker room to get on field

Look, I will always love and support Lou. I will always be behind my long time posters Irish Alice and DIP. Always.

But to die on a sword over Lou’s comments and say they were not used for motivation and that OSU did not play hard is not accurate.

Now, Many experts/analysts etc have called Day’s teams soft. Lou was not the first. Day knew this. And Day was flat out wrong calling Lou out. That’s classless. Day could n should have called out the experts. Not Lou. For that, I hope he gets his ass kicked

Just stop with defending Lou for his comments. He spoke the truth. But he represented ND hours before the game. He wasn’t on a sports show talking about two other teams - he was talking about his team. The team he loves. It was a miscalculation. He did not help Freeman. I was aghast.

So defend Lou because Day is classless. But stop with Lou being right to say what he did and that it wasn’t motivation

I would disagree.

I have to disagree about Holtz's statements being a significant factor in the outcome of the game.

There were many small mistakes (eg missed tackles, penalties, missed assignments, etc) that, if any one of them were eliminated, would have led to a different outcome.

Frankly, Lou was correct in his assessment and comments. OSU didn't play as tough as ND did, and did lose their other big games with an inferior toughness relative to their opponent. Lou is not only a former coach but a former commentator. Sure it is beneficial for Day to capitalize on such comments to motivate his players, but to continue to complain (not just in an emotional on field interview but in a post locker room press conference) begins to reek of cry baby-ism.

And again, without ND mistakes, the extra motivation to OSU makes no difference.

Motivation may be over rated. I don’t think so. Especially at collegiate level.

Think of Lou saying “save jimmy Johnson’s ass For me” Miami 88. Those players said they tore door off locker room to get on field

Look, I will always love and support Lou. I will always be behind my long time posters Irish Alice and DIP. Always.

But to die on a sword over Lou’s comments and say they were not used for motivation and that OSU did not play hard is not accurate.

Now, Many experts/analysts etc have called Day’s teams soft. Lou was not the first. Day knew this. And Day was flat out wrong calling Lou out. That’s classless. Day could n should have called out the experts. Not Lou. For that, I hope he gets his ass kicked

Just stop with defending Lou for his comments. He spoke the truth. But he represented ND hours before the game. He wasn’t on a sports show talking about two other teams - he was talking about his team. The team he loves. It was a miscalculation. He did not help Freeman. I was aghast.

So defend Lou because Day is classless. But stop with Lou being right to say what he did and that it wasn’t motivation

I think you misinterpret my position, ski. I am not defending Lou. I wish he hadn't said what he said. Nor did I say that OSU did not play hard. It was a hard fought game on both sides. Where I differ with you, I guess, is that I take Issue with how Day reacted to Lou at the end of the game. I thought Day was petty and small. Many OSU fans are saying the same thing, though of course some of them love Day for what he said.

I also think the motivational value of what Lou said is being overblown. One, it wasn't experts who were doubting OSU or calling them soft--even though many have, so it wasn't like Day was hearing this criticism for the first time. OSU was the favorite in the game and most pundits were picking them. Nor was it the current head coach of ND who made those comments. If Freeman had said what Lou said it is a different story. I understand Deion Sanders using the comments of the opposing head coach to motivate his team. But Lou Holtz? Come on. I would venture that 80% of the kids on OSU's roster have never heard of Lou. So why did Day think they would care? Maybe Day used it for motivation. But that was a reach if he did. And how he reacted at the end of the game was unprofessional. Just my opinion. If you disagree, that is ok.

I think you misinterpret my position, ski. I am not defending Lou. I wish he hadn't said what he said. Nor did I say that OSU did not play hard. It was a hard fought game on both sides. Where I differ with you, I guess, is that I take Issue with how Day reacted to Lou at the end of the game. I thought Day was petty and small. Many OSU fans are saying the same thing, though of course some of them love Day for what he said.

I also think the motivational value of what Lou said is being overblown. One, it wasn't experts who were doubting OSU or calling them soft--even though many have, so it wasn't like Day was hearing this criticism for the first time. OSU was the favorite in the game and most pundits were picking them. Nor was it the current head coach of ND who made those comments. If Freeman had said what Lou said it is a different story. I understand Deion Sanders using the comments of the opposing head coach to motivate his team. But Lou Holtz? Come on. I would venture that 80% of the kids on OSU's roster have never heard of Lou. So why did Day think they would care? Maybe Day used it for motivation. But that was a reach if he did. And how he reacted at the end of the game was unprofessional. Just my opinion. If you disagree, that is ok.

It is obvious Day used it to fire up the troops.

And if Lou's team had been "disrespected" by some former coach back when he was at ND, you know damned well he also would have harped on that fact to his team every minute until kickoff.

Where Day went overboard was bringing it up in public. I think he is feeling the heat from crazy Buckeye fans that say HE is too soft and too scheme happy. He is trying to be more like Woody or Meyer.

But as a wise man once said, if you have to keep informing the world of how tough you are, you probably aren't very tough.

It is obvious Day used it to fire up the troops.

And if Lou's team had been "disrespected" by some former coach back when he was at ND, you know damned well he also would have harped on that fact to his team every minute until kickoff.

Where Day went overboard was bringing it up in public. I think he is feeling the heat from crazy Buckeye fans that say HE is too soft and too scheme happy. He is trying to be more like Woody or Meyer.

But as a wise man once said, if you have to keep informing the world of how tough you are, you probably aren't very tough.

If I had used the story of Socrates to try and fire up my kids to do better on their math quiz, they would have looked at me and said, "Who?"

I have to disagree about Holtz's statements being a significant factor in the outcome of the game.

There were many small mistakes (eg missed tackles, penalties, missed assignments, etc) that, if any one of them were eliminated, would have led to a different outcome.

Frankly, Lou was correct in his assessment and comments. OSU didn't play as tough as ND did, and did lose their other big games with an inferior toughness relative to their opponent. Lou is not only a former coach but a former commentator. Sure it is beneficial for Day to capitalize on such comments to motivate his players, but to continue to complain (not just in an emotional on field interview but in a post locker room press conference) begins to reek of cry baby-ism.

And again, without ND mistakes, the extra motivation to OSU makes no difference.
It depends upon the degree and to how Day used Holtz’s statement to motivate his players.

i find it incredibly interesting and ironic how so many are dismissing Day’s effectiveness in the use of Holtz’s remarks to fire up and motivate his team when playing against Notre Dame when probably the most memorable motivating speech by a coach to his team was when Rockne gave his speech and told the team to go out and win one for the Gipper !

You guys are not only in denial, but your clueless.

It depends upon the degree and to how Day used Holtz’s statement to motivate his players.

i find it incredibly interesting and ironic how so many are dismissing Day’s effectiveness in the use of Holtz’s remarks to fire up and motivate his team when playing against Notre Dame when probably the most memorable motivating speech by a coach to his team was when Rockne gave his speech and told the team to go out and win one for the Gipper !

One, we have no idea whether Day actually used Holtz's comments to fire up his team. You are assuming he did. Holtz's words clearly fired up Day, but it is a leap of logic to say Lou's comments, if Day shared his personal thoughts with the team, actually fired up them. They were playing a night game in prime time before a national TV audience against a ranked team in an historic stadium. Might that not have been motivation enough? I have not seen a single Buckeye player interviewed who said he was fired up to play tougher by what Lou Holtz said. Have you?

Two, the Gipper speech is a poor comparison. Knute Rockne was using the dying wishes of a beloved teammate to motivate the team. You really think that is comparable to the musings of a dottering former head coach who was being interviewed by a Lou Holtz impersonator on a sports show? Sorry, I don't see the two as being remotely equivalent.

Maybe Day used Holtz's words with the team, maybe he didn't. Holtz got Day fired up enough that he felt compelled to say something about it when the game ended. That is the only thing that is certain.

We are aligned. I’m drinking koolaid

Calling people clueless for having opinions does not substantiate your argument.

I believe Notre Dame lost MORE because of their own mistakes than OSU's performance. Therefore, I believe OSU's motivation played a smaller factor in the OSU's win.

Now since none of this can be measured, it is all speculation and opinion. We all have our own. You have yours. I have mine. Calling people clueless for having an opinion is an ACTUAL illustration of irony.

Reactions: BGI User 756
3 series, in OSU territory, no points. I dont think "Lou" was the issue. Kick 2 FG. Game over.

Hindsight. OSU has averaged over 30 points for the past what? five years?

I am sure Freeman was thinking "field goals won't win the game against a team like Ohio St".

If he went for FGs and Ohio St scored TDs, ND fans would be complaining that he was "playing scared".

Hindsight always wins.

If Day used Holtz’s statement to motivate his team then it certainly influenced the outcome.

Evidently, Holtz’s comments stung and/or irritated Day to the degree that he was still irked post-game, even with a win.

Certainly the mistakes on and off the field determined the outcome, but don’t minimize the impact of motivational speeches

Calling people clueless for having opinions does not substantiate your argument.

I believe Notre Dame lost MORE because of their own mistakes than OSU's performance. Therefore, I believe OSU's motivation played a smaller factor in the OSU's win.

Now since none of this can be measured, it is all speculation and opinion. We all have our own. You have yours. I have mine. Calling people clueless for having an opinion is an ACTUAL illustration of irony.
I called those people clueless who were the ones being dismissive of motivational locker room speeches, when one of the most legendary motivational locker room speeches was delivered by Notre Dame coach, Knute Rockne !

You can’t get much more clueless than that !

To correct you, I never stated that ND lost because of Lou’s speech, ergo, you’re clueless when it comes to assigning that intent to my comment/s

One, we have no idea whether Day actually used Holtz's comments to fire up his team. You are assuming he did. Holtz's words clearly fired up Day, but it is a leap of logic to say Lou's comments, if Day shared his personal thoughts with the team, actually fired up them. They were playing a night game in prime time before a national TV audience against a ranked team in an historic stadium. Might that not have been motivation enough? I have not seen a single Buckeye player interviewed who said he was fired up to play tougher by what Lou Holtz said. Have you?

Two, the Gipper speech is a poor comparison. Knute Rockne was using the dying wishes of a beloved teammate to motivate the team. You really think that is comparable to the musings of a dottering former head coach who was being interviewed by a Lou Holtz impersonator on a sports show? Sorry, I don't see the two as being remotely equivalent.

Maybe Day used Holtz's words with the team, maybe he didn't. Holtz got Day fired up enough that he felt compelled to say something about it when the game ended. That is the only thing that is certain.
No, I’m not assuming that he did, I said, based upon Day’s post game comments, that Day would have been foolish not to use Holtz’s words.

Have you seen any OSU player that was asked that question ?

Why wouldn’t you put icing on the cake ?
Why wouldn’t you use Lou’s words ?
Evidently they really irritated Day, so why wouldn’t he use them, I certainly would.

Again, you miss the point.
The context of the two locker room talks is irrelevant
My analogy was a refutation of the claim by some that motivational speeches in the locker room were meaningless and ineffective, when clearly they are impactful with college football players.

Irish gifted that game to Ohio State. That’s a damn shame.

Reactions: raycyrx
No, I’m not assuming that he did, I said, based upon Day’s post game comments, that Day would have been foolish not to use Holtz’s words.

Have you seen any OSU player that was asked that question ?

Why wouldn’t you put icing on the cake ?
Why wouldn’t you use Lou’s words ?
Evidently they really irritated Day, so why wouldn’t he use them, I certainly would.

Again, you miss the point.
The context of the two locker room talks is irrelevant
My analogy was a refutation of the claim by some that motivational speeches in the locker room were meaningless and ineffective, when clearly they are impactful with college football players.
They are impactful for about the first 10 - 15 minutes at best in a football game. That's maxed out on motivation fuel from bulletin board material and coach using it to fire up the troops with faux outrage. Get smacked around a few times on the field and the pre game hype speech wears off entirely for football players. The score was 0-0 after the 1st quarter and 3-0 at the half OSU. If they came out with their hair on fire theory bc Holtz had tripped their wire and crossed an OSU red line with his comments. The half time score would have been much more lopsided in OSU direction if Holtz s perceived insult to OSU honor had any tangible influence re OSU player enhanced motivation. I highly doubt Day said peep about Lou Holtz at halftime with his players. It was all about offense adjustments to score some touchdowns.
Day acted the fool immediately the game and again in the post game interview. Day contrived the whole drama re Holtz comments as a way to endear himself to the moronic OSU football fan base. And ended up looking classless , pathetic and desperate. Which was a bad look for the OSU program.
Net result Holtz comments had zero impact on the outcome of the game

They are impactful for about the first 10 - 15 minutes at best in a football game. That's maxed out on motivation fuel from bulletin board material and coach using it to fire up the troops with faux outrage. Get smacked around a few times on the field and the pre game hype speech wears off entirely for football players. The score was 0-0 after the 1st quarter and 3-0 at the half OSU. If they came out with their hair on fire theory bc Holtz had tripped their wire and crossed an OSU red line with his comments. The half time score would have been much more lopsided in OSU direction if Holtz s perceived insult to OSU honor had any tangible influence re OSU player enhanced motivation. I highly doubt Day said peep about Lou Holtz at halftime with his players. It was all about offense adjustments to score some touchdowns.
Day acted the fool immediately the game and again in the post game interview. Day contrived the whole drama re Holtz comments as a way to endear himself to the moronic OSU football fan base. And ended up looking classless , pathetic and desperate. Which was a bad look for the OSU program.
Net result Holtz comments had zero impact on the outcome of the game
You don’t know that.

If Day used them to motivate his team prior to the game, at halftime or on the sidelines, or all of the above, you don’t know the degree to which they influenced his players

You don't know either. There's no evidence that it had any impact on the game. It's pure conjecture
I never said that I knew !

What I said was that Day would have been foolish if he DIDN ‘T use Lou’s words to motivate his team.

There’s also no evidence that they didn’t have an impact on the game !

Hindsight. OSU has averaged over 30 points for the past what? five years?

I am sure Freeman was thinking "field goals won't win the game against a team like Ohio St".

If he went for FGs and Ohio St scored TDs, ND fans would be complaining that he was "playing scared".

Hindsight always wins.

21 points last year. New QB. On road. This was never going to be a 30 point game.

Always take the points early. Always.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT